Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Just that it's from that era is enough. I read an old comparison article of fast pony cars in Car and Driver. They ALL had lots of drivability issues.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    "Fuel injection is intelligent; carburetors are stupid"

(I didn't make that up, I just read it somewhere)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    IIRC 426 hemi Cuda's (and midsize as well) were a handful in real driving.
    edited May 2018
    They are ornery in low speed operation, yes, and also like to overheat. You wouldn't use one as a Parade Car, that's for sure.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Thank goodness!  Not a look I like. 
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Price seems optimistic but you'd likely be the only one at most shows. I don't mind it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

That was an unusual styled car. I think the 59 pulled that styling off a little better, but just my personal thoughts.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    even by the standards of 1960, that unit is Homely.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Maybe this is why by '61 Mercury basically became a Ford.
    I kind of feel like the rear glass is a windshield from an earlier car.

I kind of feel like the rear glass is a windshield from an earlier car.

Both the front and rear windows are compound-curve glass, probably made from unobtainium today.

Yeah, it's homely and overpriced by about $4,000--$5,000, but you'll have the only one at Show N' Shine. Seller will be singing Happy Birthday to this baby if he hangs tough on price.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    Took the old dear out for a spin today, fired right up and ran fine, enjoyed the sun. Got one noticeable thumbs up, and turned heads as usual:

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2018
    fintail said:

Took the old dear out for a spin today, fired right up and ran fine, enjoyed the sun. Got one noticeable thumbs up, and turned heads as usual:

Beautiful car imho. True classic. Apologies for not remembering, but is it c.1960 or so?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2018
    fintail said:

You just don't see one of those too often. Saw one of those older gull-wing MB models at a recent car event, it was in great shape too.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Thanks.

The W111 fintail was made from 1959-1965, and from the exterior is virtually unchanged. This is a later run car, 64, which benefits from advancements like dual circuit brakes and 4 speed auto.
    benjaminh said:

Beautiful car imho. True classic. Apologies for not remembering, but is it c.1960 or so?

A gullwing, now well into 7 figures, is in another universe, but they do have early FI in common.

I remember the first time I was able to drive around LA, I thought there would be fintails and odd cars everywhere. Nope, the good ones were put away a long time ago.
    andres3 said:

You just don't see one of those too often. Saw one of those older gull-wing MB models at a recent car event, it was in great shape too.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    fintail said:

Thanks.

The W111 fintail was made from 1959-1965, and from the exterior is virtually unchanged. This is a later run car, 64, which benefits from advancements like dual circuit brakes and 4 speed auto.

benjaminh said:

Well, so that's what a Mercedes looks like for the year I was born....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    If you bought a MB sedan from MY 1961-65,it was almost certainly a fintail, unless you got a final run ponton/Adenauer or an early 600.

Of course, by that time fins and chrome were passe, and MB had a more modern car available too:

benjaminh said:

Well, so that's what a Mercedes looks like for the year I was born....

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    fintail said:

Thanks.

benjaminh said:

I may have posted this story before, so forgive me. One of my father's co-workers, who had been sent over to Germany to help open a new subsidiary, came back with a fintail (either a 220S or a 220SE, I think the latter). Keep in mind this was semi-rural Washington state in the early 60s. VW Beetles were considered a curiosity. The speedometer was, of course, scaled in kilometers. His high-school aged son loved it; you wouldn't believe how much cred was conveyed by an exotic European car with a speedometer that went up to 180. He even worked up a routine. He would get some fellow students or such into the car, find a secondary road, run it up to '100' (in third gear), shift into high, and give a spiel about how these cars were designed for the autobahn and even at 100 were just loafing. Pulled it off, too. Seemingly no one looked out the side windows to see that the scenery was going by at about the speed expected for a car traveling at highway speed. I have no idea what happened to him, but I've got to wonder if he didn't make a fortune selling annuities or stock options or such.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Funny story. Even better as the fintail speedometer (unusual vertical display, if you recall) tends to be a little optimistic. US spec gasoline models display up to 120, diesels up to 100 IIRC - the latter is a wish upon a star.
    bhill2 said:

I may have posted this story before, so forgive me. One of my father's co-workers, who had been sent over to Germany to help open a new subsidiary, came back with a fintail (either a 220S or a 220SE, I think the latter). Keep in mind this was semi-rural Washington state in the early 60s. VW Beetles were considered a curiosity. The speedometer was, of course, scaled in kilometers. His high-school aged son loved it; you wouldn't believe how much cred was conveyed by an exotic European car with a speedometer that went up to 180. He even worked up a routine. He would get some fellow students or such into the car, find a secondary road, run it up to '100' (in third gear), shift into high, and give a spiel about how these cars were designed for the autobahn and even at 100 were just loafing. Pulled it off, too. Seemingly no one looked out the side windows to see that the scenery was going by at about the speed expected for a car traveling at highway speed. I have no idea what happened to him, but I've got to wonder if he didn't make a fortune selling annuities or stock options or such.

Could be wrong but it seems like some of the same things were paid for a few times.
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-ford-ranchero-gt-351/6598145939.html
    only $10 per HP. Cheap!

A rather bodacious HP claim for what's on the engine. Normally that much HP would cost you around $7500.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I just glanced at the info posted by seller and noted that the paper work identifies the engine as a 351/400M which is not a 351 Cleveland. There was no 351 C option for 1975-on...just saying.

My 1975 Elite driver's ed car had the same 351 base engine, no 4bbl option, etc.

Even if the seller's ad implies a 351 Cleveland upgrade, the hooker headers identified as 6125 HKR fit the 351/400M.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    An Elite - pretty nice ride back then for driver's ed. My driver's ed was in a Dodge Coronet.
    berri said:

An Elite - pretty nice ride back then for driver's ed. My driver's ed was in a Dodge Coronet.

@omarman must have gone to one of those schools in the ritzy part of town. B)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    That is one ugly Ranchero. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    omarman said:

I just glanced at the info posted by seller and noted that the paper work identifies the engine as a 351/400M which is not a 351 Cleveland. There was no 351 C option for 1975-on...just saying.

My 1975 Elite driver's ed car had the same 351 base engine, no 4bbl option, etc.

Even if the seller's ad implies a 351 Cleveland upgrade, the hooker headers identified as 6125 HKR fit the 351/400M.

Looks like a Cleveland block to me, but everything else says otherwise.... interesting.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited May 2018
    3 hours left on the ebay Ranchero. Current bid is $4,700 with reserve not met.
    edit to add ebay link here .

Listed on another site the seller stated, "Paint is old. Has a new 351 crate engine with 500 miles on it... driver's seat repaired with duct tape. all glass is good. electric windows. 3 years and 14,000 invested. no money and no time to finish. would let go for 10,000 or best reasonable offer."

Forget the duct tape for seat repair. Bring the wood.

I wish they'd bring bench seats back, don't you?
    no

put your joke glasses on, stick B)
    That thing is way too hipster for me - buy it and your mustache wax budget will go through the roof.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I know you were making a joke about the wood bench, but my truck does have a front bench and I love having that way more than having a console in the way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Got a necker knob on the steering wheel to go with it ;)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    What do you all think of this as a more fun cushy comfortable commuter car:

2005 Audi A6 with the solid 3.2 V6 in beige inside and out (which I like). Good condition from the pictures.

Pros:

15,000 miles
    Single Owner (said to be a Doctor in Coronado with a 2-mile commute to help explain the low mileage).
    No "major" accidents (this one is a bit alarming since the word "major" is used.
    Everything said to work "great."

They are asking $10,800 lowered from 12,000 originally asked for.

Is this a deal? A steal? A rip off? Any problems with the old 3.2 V6? The low mileage concerns me being 13 years old. I suppose replacing everything made of rubber is in order?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

What do you all think of this as a more fun cushy comfortable commuter car:

2005 Audi A6 with the solid 3.2 V6 in beige inside and out (which I like). Good condition from the pictures.

Pros:

15,000 miles
    Single Owner (said to be a Doctor in Coronado with a 2-mile commute to help explain the low mileage).
    No "major" accidents (this one is a bit alarming since the word "major" is used.
    Everything said to work "great."

They are asking $10,800 lowered from 12,000 originally asked for.

Is this a deal? A steal? A rip off? Any problems with the old 3.2 V6? The low mileage concerns me being 13 years old. I suppose replacing everything made of rubber is in order?

Such low miles can mean a blessing or a curse!

If the guy is maintaining it well, despite the casual use, then perhaps no harm, no foul. Exhaust system may have taken the most wear and tear since it is likely that there are many drives with a lot of condensation in there that never dried out due to short duration (i.e., it didn't get hot enough!). So, very possible that the cat, mufflers, and even the pipes could have more wear than you might expect.

Not the best era for Audi, but, then, you're no stranger to that era, so go in with eyes open!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    andres3 said:
    What do you all think of this as a more fun cushy comfortable commuter car: 2005 Audi A6 with the solid 3.2 V6 in beige inside and out (which I like). Good condition from the pictures. Pros: 15,000 miles Single Owner (said to be a Doctor in Coronado with a 2-mile commute to help explain the low mileage). No "major" accidents (this one is a bit alarming since the word "major" is used. Everything said to work "great." They are asking $10,800 lowered from 12,000 originally asked for. Is this a deal? A steal? A rip off? Any problems with the old 3.2 V6? The low mileage concerns me being 13 years old. I suppose replacing everything made of rubber is in order?
    Still A LOT of dough. Even if given an A+ by an Audi mechanic and you just HAD TO have it, $8k is more than enough.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Early 2000s Audis are lethal. I'd have nothing to do with a V-6 from that vintage, personally. I'm not averse to "risky purchases" at all, but not at $10,8K. Too big a roll of the dice on a car with a less than stellar reputation.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

How about this 1963 Chevrolet Impala I saw at Spring Carlisle? Not much left of the trunk.
    Nice! That'll buff right out.

The last of the metal parts, I mean... :D
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Early 2000s Audis are lethal. I'd have nothing to do with a V-6 from that vintage, personally. I'm not averse to "risky purchases" at all, but not at $10,8K. Too big a roll of the dice on a car with a less than stellar reputation.

The electronic gremlins on that Audi will eat you alive! Our store got burned on so many "nice" trade in's that they just dumped every one at the auction or wholesaled them.
    lemko said:

How about this 1963 Chevrolet Impala I saw at Spring Carlisle? Not much left of the trunk.

Actually, that's a 1962! A can of rubbing compound and a couple of headlights and you're set!

Go around a corner and you just might get a nasty splinter somewhere you don't want it!
    That's all I have to say about that.

Funny!
    Hipsters love that patina.