Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    If I see a red light ahead, I would usually drop out of whatever gear I was in, into neutral and lightly break coming up to the light. If the light turns green before stopping, then throw it into the appropriate gear.
    I never really gave it any thought as to whether to keep it in neutral or in gear when stopped. I've done both, and I don't think either matters. In a lengthy traffic jam or inching along, I mainly go to neutral.
    My feeling is: minimize the number of shifts by not downshifting, minimize the chance of selecting the wrong gear like 2nd instead of 4th!, brakes are cheap, and you save gas coast rather than bringing up the revs during downshifting.
  • pinecrestjimpinecrestjim Member Posts: 64
    Gosh guys - I didn't mean to turn our fav forum into a heated debate! I was just concerned with possibly wearing out my new SE before her time. But I really appreciate the information!!! And, yes, I'm a little more confused than before.

I kinda like Tom's idea of coasting - I've done that a few times too though when I'm really feeling lazy. It's got to increase the mpg of the Miata, far above what Mazda lists! My last fillup showed 23.98 mpg for mostly city driving, no stop&go, with 2100 miles on the powertrain. Generally, I do the downshift when slowing. I also like the ability to immediately accelerate without having to shift again. I also know that it's additional wear and tear on the powertrain.

I suppose if we all took Tom's suggestion, OPEC would really have some problems and Tom would have plenty of heating oil available this winter, at a much reduced price!

Jim M.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    It's been quite a few posts since we've actually talked about Miatas. And since I don't own one, I apologize for keeping you off-topic. Maybe I should open some new topics on downshifting for red lights and what to do when you are sitting at one. Anyway, I will concede that it is easier on your car to shift into neutral at stoplights and release the clutch. So, if you're just learning to drive a manual, go ahead and get in that habit. If you're like me and want to be ready to move the instant the light turns green, keep it in gear - I don't think it will ever cause a problem.

Aside to Colin - I don't know why but I always thought you were much older. Please consider that a compliment, it was meant as such.
  • phraedphraed Member Posts: 4
    I just saw the 2001 Miatas. There is a new color available, a baby blue metallic that I found semi-beautiful. Not a good color. All the rest of the colors appear to be the same as 2000. Also noticed that a tape and CD radio option is available. Since they have added 15 more horses, dgraves, as well as others might want to consider that option in lieu of possibly burning out the thrust bearing during stops in gear. Well, maybe not.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Miatas have a great gearbox, don't they? Made the first generation Boxster feel like a UPS truck in comparison.

It may sound like heresy, but I has wished the new Miatas would have extended the body and given owners a few more inches. When I hop from my Alfa into my friend's Miata, I am immediately aware that although our two red roadsters look approximately the same size, the Alfa's interior is significantly more comfortable and useful. This is odd considering that the Miata has a longer wheelbase and is actually wider. Yet you'd swear the Alfa was wider and had a longer WB. What the Alfa does have is a whopping 13 inches more length overall. This gives lots of legroom and a generous rear shelf and trunk for storage. Additional weight is about 100 lbs, so the Miata could handle a bit of a stretch without killing its proportions or performance I think.
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    Yep they are out. Someone on www.miataforum.com actually bought one alread (out in California).
    Check out the same forum for pictures of a dealer car (vin# something ----21 the 21st car off the line)
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    An internal trunk release. A small thing, but very useful, and I never understood why some good cars don't include them. The Celica doesn't.
  • mx599mx599 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all. I have finally read through all of the posts here, and decided to join in. I have had my 1999 Miata/w leather package in Highlight Silver Metallic since Feb. of'99 and absolutely love it! I literally drove it off the showroom floor with 2 miles on the odo, and 13k miles later I still love it. I have been quite surprised by all of the positive reactions this car gets from all different types of people. My only concern at this point is the center caps of my wheels are starting to turn yellow. Has anyone else had this problem, and been able to get the original color back? I look forward to chatting with all of you. Thanks!
    A lot of people have the same problem. You can bring them back to the dealer and see if they would replace them.
    Or just go to local hardware store, buy a can of spray paint and spray them yourself.
  • lafklafk Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in buying a miata (used) . I have $5-6,000 to spend. I am female and don't know much about the miata. What i do know is that I love the way it looks and have heard many good things aobout it.
    I am looking for a car that I may have for the next 2-5 years. I will be using it to get to work and anticipate putting alot of mileage on the car. Is that bad? How do the used Miata's last? Are they durable? Is it a bad choice to get a used Miata with with high mileage? Does the car have any chance to become a collectable? Any advice would be very appreciated.

thank you.
  • mx599mx599 Member Posts: 2
    lafk, for the amount of money you are looking to spend you should be able to find a nice, clean miata that will reward you with many years of driving fun.
    The miata is a fairly bulletproof little car, but ANY high mileage car is going to require a little extra care. The parts and service for these cars are reasonable and will not eat you out of house and home, but have the car checked out by a mechanic you trust BEFORE buying, there are a lot of good used miatas out there, so don't settle for a car with problems.
    You mention that you will be using this car for work and putting a lot of milage on it. The mileage is not a bad thing, you can get 200k miles from a miata engine, but if you a looking for a long distance commuter car, with a comfortable ride, lots of room, quiet,etc. you may be disappointed in the miata. If, however, you are looking for a car that loves to be driven hard, and is a TON of fun the is no better choice than miata.
    As far as the car being a collectable goes, I would not count on it any time soon. There have been about 500,000 miatas built, so it is not a rare car. Maybe 20 years from now a nice miata may be worth something, but no time soon. If you buy a miata, buy it to DRIVE it, not store it in a garage and hope its dollar value increases, its value increases by putting you in a good mood every time you get behind the wheel.
    Of course, all of the above is just my opinion. Good luck in your search!
    There really should be an FAQ in this forum discussion.
    For much information on anything Miata, please point your browser to www.miata.net . It is an enthusiast website and you can find virtually anything Miata there.
  • lafklafk Member Posts: 3
    I have some other questions. How do the miata's handle in the rain and snow? Are they prone to rust as they age? Around what year range is in my price range of $5-6,00?

thanks again for the advice. any other input is greatly appreciated.

lafk
    I was shopping for quite a while for Miatas in that range and for the most part you will only find 1990s for less than $6000 (assuming you want a fairly clean, reasonable mileage car). I had decided to stick to 1992s and newer just to avoid the crankshaft issue. But anything decent in a '92 will be at least $7000. I don't think we should get into the crankshaft issue here. If you are not aware of it, go to miata.net as karl suggested where it's discussed in detail.
    I really don't think you can find (easily) a really tight clean Miata for $5,000 anymore. If you want a very clean well-maintained car with decent mileage (under 100K) you'll need to spend around $7,500.

Weak points are shocks, spark plug wires and maybe some rattling window channels. They are good tough cars and will last as long as any car made today bar none. Watch out if the top is worn, these aren't cheap to replace.

A car with a hardtop is worth more, figure an extra $500.

I just saw a 1991 Special Edition (British green with tan leather, special wheels and stereo, hardtop, fancy interior trim, etc)that I could have bargained down to around $7,100. Not "cheap" for a '91, but fully loaded, 90K miles (about average)and a very clean, solid car. And no, I'm not telling you where as I may buy it myself.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 Miata is now available. Here's the direct link to First Drive: 2001 Mazda Miata, by Liz Kim. Let us know what you think.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    the changes are subtle but nice, they really pay attention to detail. For all the changes that extra 155 hp really wasn't even neccessary. This is gonna be a loooong winter...
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    After reading the following in the first drive report, I don't know what parts of the article to believe:

"...weight ratio is now a perfect 50/50 as a result of having moved the battery to the rear, rather than the 52/48 front-bias of the 2000 model." (It's been there since the 1990 model)

"...six-speed gearbox...adds a hefty 155 pounds ..." (155 pounds over the 5-speed? Maybe the tranny weighs 155 pounds, but I doubt that it's 155 pounds more than the 5-speed)
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I seriously doubt the tranny even weighs 155lb. I've never had the tranny out of a miata, but the physically larger tranny in my Impreza weighs about 85lb and it contains a center and front differential!

-Colin
    I dropped one on my foot once and it's fairly heavy, but I didn't think to weigh it at the time.
    If you dropped a transmission on your foot, I'm surprised your nickname isn't "Gimpy".
    I don't think there is a difference of 155 lbs between the 5 and the 6 speed.
    Probably the difference is a 5 speed equiped base and a 6 speed equiped loaded LS>
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I just put a deposit on a 1997 M Edition Miata. It has 15,650 miles on it. It was previously owned by a woman that only drove it occasionally. It seems to be in terrific shape, and is the nice green color with tan top and tan leather seats. The dealer is asking 15,780 for it. That's about 500 higher than KBB value, but it is hard to find these, what do you folks think??? I put 500 down for them to hold it, will call credit union on monday. Please give me your opinions...
  • bakerba0bakerba0 Member Posts: 1
    I just looked up KBB @ Carpoint: $16,015! Even if they were asking 16,500 and it's in excellent condition as you say why don't you own it already? I test drove a 2000 Miata and didn't buy because I couldn't get my hands on an M Edition especially the British Racing Green look alike. If you're not going to buy it then tell ME the name of the dealership...
    OK, thats a deal. If I decide against buying it I will Email you with the name and location of the dealer so you can check it out for yourself. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what I decide on Monday! It really is in nice shape. The only things I noticed were the cruise control not working (they said they would fix it) and I asked them to align it, the steering wheel was a little bit off center. It has wood trim on the inside, headrest speakers, AM-FM, CD, Tape, nice wheels (which I will probably replace with minilites if I get it) and whatever else came with the M in 1997. Well, I'm still thinking it over in my mind... Thanks again...
    Are you sure they pressed the button on the dashboard for the cruise control? Many people make the mistake of just trying to turn the stalk knob.
    Yup, I tried it and the salesman tried it. I hope they have it sorted out by the time I'm ready to pick it up.
    Well, I did it! I will be picking up my "new" 1997 Miata on Thursday! I got a great loan from my credit union (7.5%, 60 mos.) and have the insurance all lined up. I can't wait! I'm thinking of a few mods already, although I will probably keep it stock for a while to see how I like it.
    1. Minilite 15x6.5 wheels
    2. Roll Bar for SCCA competition
    3. Grill Guard
    4. Who knows....
    Does anyone have any experience with Minilites on a Miata? I really like the 1960's British roadster look they give, but I wonder if they are going to be heaver or lighter than the stock M edition wheels (which I read are about 14.5 lbs. each).
    I can't wait for Thursday, looks like I'll be doing some driving this weekend!
    Just enjoyed an experience which I'll never forget yesterday. I had the rare privilege of being able to run my '00SE on the Lemans course at the Homestead Speedway!!

I was "squeezed" into a final group of show cars which were to ride around the oval track at the open house which was being held at the track. I only wish I could remember the fella's name who was so kind to me. I thought we would be cruising around the main oval......what a surprise!

After getting onto pit road and lining up behind a M3 pace car (PC) (they wouldn't turn you loose for obvious reasons), the PC took a sharp left just after the pit road ended and I found myself chasing him through the hairpin turns of the Lemans course, a 2.6 mile trip of total exhilaration!

I'll confess, my Miata couldn't keep up with the M3. The car had much more power for the straightaways, and the driver had obviously run this course many times. This was my first.

Lap 1 - he really had a big lead on me, and I'm sure he wasn't pushing his car. I was thrown for a real loop, as I hadn't planned to do any running of my car like this for some time. However.....approaching turn 5 on the inside course, I decided to give her all I could. Downshifting to accelerate coming out of the right turn, I could feel her start to drift left on me. A very slight easing of the throttle brought her quickly back in line. After racing thru turn 6 the inside track opened up onto the main oval's back straightaway just before turn 3. We went thru turns 3 & 4, racing down the front straightaway. PC had probably a 3 second lead at the finish line. Instead of continuing around the main oval, PC slowed, turned hard left and we were into lap 2 of the Lemans course.

This time I knew the layout, and could honestly hold my own with the PC thru the course. PC got ahead of me on the straights, but I was catching up on the turns. When we came out of the last turn onto the oval, I was probably only a second behind him.

I thought he was holding steady into turn 3 on the oval, then he just took off. I tried, but needed another 50 hp to catch him. I came past pit road at 85 in 5th gear, wanting to use the engine to help brake for the left onto the infield portion. Everyone on pit road was watching me as I went past (I hope it was due to the looks of my car) - what a thrill!

Unfortunately, that was the end of it. PC slowed to a stop at the turn. After pulling back into the infield parking lot, I thanked the PC driver. He told me the oval was just too boring for our cars, and I again thanked him.

I wish he could read this, and know how much I appreciated what he did. I really hope each of you can one day get the same thrill I did yesterday - the Miata is perfect for such a track.

Jim M.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    .... It makes me smile just thinking about it.

Ray
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    what we've been talking about, Jim. Ain't it great! It's what the M5s made for. Now, if we can get Shifty to get all of us together for some driving lessons...?

Take care.
    Joe W>
    It's great that you're planning to take your new car to the track but make sure that's really what you want to do because the consensus around here is that adding a roll bar will severely hurt your resale value.
    Also, what is a grille guard? I thought that is what the housewives put on their SUVs in case they run into some thick brush on their way to the mall.
    Grill guard...On Teammiata.com they have a mesh screen that fits in the opening underneath, the screen is there to protect the radiator from rocks and things impacting it. You have to remove the tie down hooks from the front of the car to install it, but everyone recommends doing that anyway because a careless tow truck driver can severely mess up the front of your car if he hooks onto them.

You're probably right about the roll bar, I'll wait a while to do that anyway. Someday this car will be in SCCA competition, but not until I spend a few days up at Lime Rock at the Skip Barber School.

Two weeks ago at the Watkins Glen vintage festival really got me hooked, I just hope I am racing before my Miata qualifies for vintage status!!!!
    Sounds like a great plan. I wish I had time to do something more interesting with my car than drive back and forth to work and kid's soccer games. I suspect once you get out on the track, resale value will be the last thing on your mind.
    I like Redline products, and I'm glad to hear they work well on the Miata. Keep in mind, though, that not all transmissions tolerate these special oils, so check around before you dump them in certain cars.

As for the plug wires, this has been a weak point on Miatas in the past, so that sounds like a good move, too.

I can't say about this "high flow air filter" business--that sounds pricey and ineffectual unless there is some kind of actual intake manifold modification.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Installed Redline MT90 transmission fluid in my '99 about 2 weeks ago.

Noticeable, but not huge, improvement in shift quality. Improvement wasn't apparent until 100+ miles with a lot of shifting.

I suspect that it takes many shifts to completely eliminate the factory lube from the synchronizers. Yes, the transmission was hot when I drained it.
    On the subject of "special oils", does anyone have any experience using synthetics in the Miata - engine, manual tranny & rear end?

Secondly, I noted in the '00SE owners manual that there is no definite replacement interval listed for engine coolant. Any thoughts?

Jim M.
  • hugobeckerhugobecker Member Posts: 45
    I put Mobil 1 gear lube in the tranny and diff of mine with about ~1700 miles on the clock. Both the diff and tranny have magnetic plugs. The shop I take it to (not the dealer, but Hurst Imports) is nice and wraps a little teflon tape on the plug before reinstalling. No weeping.

Is there a noticeable change? No. A little more piece of mind? Yes. But getting them changed is the key.
    I reviewed some pics posted by Hanuka (sp.) at Miata.net's garage topic regarding the changing of oils on the Miata. Engine oil and differential I have done on other vehicles before - no problem.

The manual trans is a new on for me (always owned an auto before). It appears there are two plugs, one for drain and one for fill. Simple enough. However, the end the pics show the removal of the shifter boot and the replacement of oil around the shifter. Is this another part of the manual trans. oil replacement?

Lastly, there is reference to the Miata Enthusiast's Manual. Is anyone else familiar with this maintenance guidebook, and where it can be purchased?

Jim M.
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    Just to let you know, there does exist such a Miata that you want. In June of '99, we purchased a used 1994 base Miata with alot of miles (100K) for $5500. It was and still is in excellent condition. We have added stuff to it as the months have gone by, as well as many more miles. We presently have 122,000 miles on our little red '94, and it shows no sign of slowing down. I don't see any problems with buying a used Miata with high miles on it, as it has proven itself to us. I also feel that you can find one, just like we did. We were were looking for the '94 & up due to some new things added in '94. It was a super deal, purchased from a private party, and we couldn't be happier. Good luck in your hunt. Let us know what you find.
    See our car here: http://convertiblencats.homestead.com
  • heyitsespoheyitsespo Member Posts: 1
    Last week I traded my big and obnoxious Ram extended cab 4x4 for a superclean 97 Miata...Here are the following observations after week #1.

#1. Soccer Moms in Expeditions look down and smile, point and say "how cute' when next to you at lights. Not the response I was looking for.

#2. The wearing of coveralls and workboots just doesn't seem right.

#3. Screwdrivers in back pockets and leather seats dont mix.

#4. I never realized there were so many parking spaces available!

#5. 12 mpg vs 30 mpg...nuff said.

#6. golf clubs are passengers, not cargo. Buckle them in too...

#7. Always memorize your parking space, you will never see the car from the front door of the mall. (Or invest in a helium balloon tied to the antenna and 10 feet of string).

#8. Wash the Ram...30 minutes, Wash the Mazda...2 tracks on the CD. No step ladder needed.

#9 Miata will fit in the bed of the Ram (bring red flags as it may stick out a bit....)

#10 7 year old daughter liked to stick elbow out of the rams window while riding. 7 year old thinks Dads Miata is so cool and has been caught sitting in it while its garaged with top off. Elbow is still stuck out though.

#11. Ram was bought used last year for 18k...I drove it 20k miles, developed a bad rear main seal, never got over 14 mpg, clear coat was peeling and blistering, tires cost $130 each, scraped the roof pulling into a hotel garage's underground lot, and rode worse than my tractor. Dealer said bye bye after 36k. I paid 13300 for the Miata with 35k on it, the finish and leather looks brand new, despite being driven like a mini formula one still gives me 26 to 28 mpg, car was Mazda certified so they replaced the brakes, tires, rear window and floor mats after a 2 hour inspection. At least I owned the Dodge and got a nice big check back after the trade. Oh yeah, and insurance is cheaper.
    So whenever I miss the Dodge I jump into my 82 F-350 Duelly and feel a little enviromentally irresponsible. At least the Miata eases my Mid-life crisis (36 last week, so I'm a little early)

Happy motoring and glad to be aboard!!!

Espo
  • oscar18oscar18 Member Posts: 8
    Attention Mazda MX-5 owners. Thinking about a purchase,2000 model. Thought I would ask the experts first. Will use for daily commute,about 60 miles of highway driving a day,and just plain weekend driving fun.This will be my only car,for winter and summer,and everything in between. I hear they are really noisy on the open road?And how about snow driving?
    Would appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks
  • usayitusayit Member Posts: 17
    Congrats on your new 97 M-edition. I bought my 97 M-edition last Memorial day with about 22k on it. Loved it ever since. Long drives just for fun... taking the long way to work... top down... no worries...

Mine came with the factory chrome 15 inch wheels and I recently bought dunlop sp5000... pretty descent tires. I'm going to order a grill this week (got one dink in my radiator). I'd recommend getting one. Roll bars look great and add safety but hurt resale values. I saw a black miata with the double cross bars by Hard Dog. Looks good although I don't think I'll be getting one. Next for me are a new set of shocks. I haven't decided but I'm considering spending the extra bucks for an adjustable set. Any suggestions? I've also started to save a little from each paycheck... thinking of either jackson supercharger or an entry level turbo from Dealer Alternative.
  • usayitusayit Member Posts: 17
    Mine is a daily driver too. Great car for it... good gas mileage and makes the drives too and from work fun. As with most convertables, road noise is present although it greatly depends on your tires and the traffic around you. Big rigs... are loud... open country roads are quiet... My factory Potenzas were a little noisy and my newer Dunlop SP5000 are quieter. If noise is still an issue.... get one with a hardtop. Hardtops add about 500-700 extra to the used car's price and add about 1500 to a new miata's price. For the winter.... you can run Blizzaks snow tires which I hear are great. My biggest concern for winter driving is snow since the miata sits pretty low to the ground..... but thats what my 93 Jeep YJ is for.... Good luck
  • oscar18oscar18 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. I have another question. What is the droning they talk about at high speeds? And how about trunk space? One more,how are they on takeoff from a stop? Looking for a quick accelerator.MX-5
    Well Oscar, it's really a question of what you are expecting from an inexpensive (relatively) two-seater sportscar. It's supposed to be hard-riding and a bit noisy. This is the compromise the engineers built into it in order to keep it light and fast and responsive. It isn't a big heavy cruising two-seater like a Mercedes SL and so you have to live with the characteristics of a true sportscar I think.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    REdline fluids aren't really modifications, I guess, but after my experience with them over the past 4 years, I wouldn't be without them. In the transmission I was especially able to notice the difference on the shift from first to second, smoother and no need to force it at all.

The diff. fluid made no noticeable change but was highly recommended (Mita.net) and has served me well.

The plug wires (I used the blue NGK wires) have been reliable and effective -- I changed at 24k several years ago -- but it's hard to tell what effect they had on performance as I made two other changes at the same time. I advanced the timing to 14 degrees btdc -- no, it didn't require me to switch to higher octane gas. And I added the K&N filter charger ($180). And I DID notice this combination of changes in the quicker responses of the engine.

I was also going to change to more aggressive shocks -- you may remember this from several hundred posts ago -- but was ready for new tires and couldn't afford both tires and struts at the same time. I bought Toyo T1S 14" tires and now won't buy the new suspension components for awhile because the tires have added so much to the handling that I want to wait before changing anything until the driver :) can keep up with the tires!

The Enthusiast's Manual is excellent! It's available via nearly every aftermarket dealer listed in the marketplace on Miata.net. It is for the British version of the Miata so I also bought the Haynes manual (also available via the aftermarket dealers) and the two have always had enough information to help me out with the minor mechanical activities I'm able to perform. For anything fancier, I'd need the complete shop manual and, given my level of "ability," I'd need to have my head examined!

Hope these experiences and recommendations help out!

Take care.
    Joe W>
    Joe, you've obviously changed the tranny oil and I would guess you did it yourself. Those pics available at Miata.net show the removal of the shifter boot, etc., to change fluid there. I suppose this is a separate reservoir of oil specifically for the shifter, and has nothing to do with the gear oil within the tranny housing? Can you elaborate?

I'm just a little leary of handling heavy weight oil inside the car - I can only imagine the mess if it spilled onto the SE's carpet.......

Jim M.
    What a weekend! I took the long way everywhere I went! I cannot get over how well this little car handles! The only complaint I have is that I didn't get to shift very much because I never had to slow down for corners, just turn the wheel and apply the gas. Well, now I can't wait for next weekend. This is awesome, SCCA app is in the mail. Skip Barber here I come!
    For those who are not familiar, the 5-speed Mazda transmission's turet is not connected to the transmission, and need to be lubricated too. On high milage Miatas, the rubber shift boots (two of them) may be ripped too and cause imprecise shifts and the turet may be dry.
    To change the fluid there, use a turkey baster (don't use the one for Thanksgiving turkey). I think it takes about 90ml (I think, don't quote me on the amount)
    For the 6-speed transmission made by Aisin, the turet is connected to the transmission and will not hold any fluid, so changing the transmission fluid is enough.