Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

overheating ..need help

jesseneil41465jesseneil41465 Member Posts: 7
edited June 2018 in Dodge
Ok so i have a 2006 dodge grand caravan with a 3.3 v6 engine.
it overheats at about 30 mph ... throw in neutral rev engine cools down to normal and doesnt overheat anymore until engine has sat shut off for a while.
I have changed head gaskets, had heads checked for warp or crack, all checked ok , changed water pump thermostat radiator, electric fans ... flushed cooling system twice, changed intake manifold gasket changed radiator caps.
No idea what the cause could be.. hoping someone here can maybe help me find the solution.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How did you verify it was actually overheating?

How many miles on this engine?
  • jesseneil41465jesseneil41465 Member Posts: 7
    verified overheating by coolant spewing from the overflow reservoir. temp gauge shoots up to hot warning signal starting dinging ... 200,000 + miles on the engine ... like i said tho new head gaskets new intake gasket new water pump new radiator cap new radiator and new fans also flushed entire cooling system twice
    Has anyone tested for combustion gases in the coolant?
    not that i know of ... what would be the cause of that if that is the issue ?
    also it only occasionally overheats and no coolant loss .. except for when it does overheat it spews out the reservoir..
    Will it ever overheat just idling or does it have to be moving?

Testing for combustion gases would tell you if there is an internal crack somewhere in the engine block or head. Essentially, in that case, you're driving a tea kettle.

I think the only rational way to approach this is to make very very careful notes of exactly under what conditions the vehicle overheats--this includes things like time from startup, speed, outside temperature, gear ratio, road conditions or gradient.

Another factor is that you cannot assume that because you did something, that you can eliminate what you did as the cause.
    well it overheats exactly same time .... when i get in start the engine and drive at 30 mph for about 7 to 10 miles .. everytime overheats just the one time then after that its fine doesnt overheat anymore until the engine has been given time to cool off by sitting parked and off
    edited June 2018
    the actual time it happens varies just same scenario .. overheating only once while driving at 30 mph and under ... makes no sense to me .. after it overheats the one time it runs fine no more overheating or nothing no matter if idling or driving slow ... then after being parked and shut off for a few hours it will overheat only the one time again when driving 30 mph and under
    after talking to the person replaced the head gaskets .. could it be a stretched head bolt not seating the head properly causing combustion gas to get into the radiator .. because they said head bolts wasnt stretched so they re used them