Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    well, some of the work they do is pretty ambitious. Lots of re configuring metal work.

Also seem to save time using component sets. A lot easier to drop in a crate motor and Hotchkiss suspension set-up and have it work as intended.

and 20 guys working 10 hour days for 2 weeks is 2,800 man hours!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    True, you can save a bundle of time using model-dedicated modern upgrades with all the engineering already figured out.

But still, I've driven freshly done street rods that just drive terribly---truly awful. They haven't been vetted properly. Too much focus on visuals.
    well, sure. That is why after filming ends, they probably go back to get shaken down and dialed in.

I forgot that they also seem to use a ton of parts from places like year 1. Certainly should speed things up that way too.

plus it helps that they are reworking or customizing at will. That has to be a lot quicker than trying to do a perfect to factory specs restoration.

Sure---if you don't have to strive for accuracy in the restoration, you are out of that prison of, dare we say, fanaticism.

You haven't really lived until you've witnessed 5 guys standing around a Model A Ford arguing over the shape of a head bolt.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    "According to associate producer Holloway, each completed vehicle is worth around $150,000, but "in reality, they're priceless... Chip's so busy that it's almost impossible to get a car from the Foose shop, no matter how much money you've got." In an interview, Foose said that "for me, seeing the look on the owner's face is the most rewarding part of the show. It's almost overwhelming to see their response, and it's the whole reason I do it. We worked hard to make their dream come true.""

$150,000....right!

Much more realistic is FantomWorks, where cars take months to finish.
    And of course, the person who has established this value is completely impartial.

Fine, prove it. Put it up for auction.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    texases said:

"According to associate producer Holloway, each completed vehicle is worth around $150,000, but "in reality, they're priceless... Chip's so busy that it's almost impossible to get a car from the Foose shop, no matter how much money you've got." In an interview, Foose said that "for me, seeing the look on the owner's face is the most rewarding part of the show. It's almost overwhelming to see their response, and it's the whole reason I do it. We worked hard to make their dream come true.""

$150,000....right!

Much more realistic is FantomWorks, where cars take months to finish.

And where the bill at the end is often in 6 figures.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

"And where the bill at the end is often in 6 figures. "

So true. But the latest episodes don't always disclose the amount. It's amazing what some folks will put into a car, especially when it's in memory of mom or dad, and the person paying the bill doesn't seem to be a real car nut.
    I like that 808 wagon. Got some potential.

that is a seriously tired 320i. Pretty sure the time to go was actually time to get it out of their checkbook.

stickguy said:

that is a seriously tired 320i. Pretty sure the time to go was actually time to get it out of their checkbook.

Seems ready for the scrapyard. Pretty bodacious price he put on it.
    Looks like Fin is having a slow day at work. ;)

That Accord has a weber carb, looks like they cleaned out 235 feet of vacuum hoses...
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    fintail said:
    Man, those were incredibly advanced when first introduced in 1884, but they seem kinda dated now. They've certainly aged better than their counterparts, though, which were mostly made of wood and have long since rotted away.... B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited June 2018
    Nice looking "metalic Bronze" 1973 Gran Torino which the previous seller calls "Chestnut Metallic" which is actually medium copper metallic according to Ford.

Was sold in Phoenix with previous seller's asking price marked $27,995. Figure appreciation after 35 more miles on the odometer and upgrade of new upper radiator hose...So the current asking price $35,900?

Better investment than Bitcoin!

edit to add link to current CL ad here.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    xwesx said:

fintail said:
    Man, those were incredibly advanced when first introduced in 1884, but they seem kinda dated now. They've certainly aged better than their counterparts, though, which were mostly made of wood and have long since rotted away.... B)
    What do you expect for a 134-year-old car?? :D
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Hey, at least 1880s cars are now emissions exempt here :)

Lots of cars from that era survived here, it was easy to find that batch - some delay in the data I work on helped.

Funny on that Torino, quick flip, but maybe not the right car to do it with.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983

For fun and assuming it is as decent as described, I'd pay 1200 for the New Yorker.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited June 2018
    1961 Chevrolet Corvette. "Barn Find without the barn..." No engine, no trans, needs everything. Seller asking $24,500.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    omarman said:

1961 Chevrolet Corvette. "Barn Find without the barn..." No engine, no trans, needs everything. Seller asking $24,500.

Doesn’t need too much to be a decent driver..... lol

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

throw in a HiPO big block, and it will probably snap in half on the first pass.

Means nothing without the race history and period photos. Not worth that money IMO. Half that perhaps.
    Crush the ranger. Money pit.

I kinda like the mustang. Could be real. Certainly priced like one. Not that a 70 3 speed is going to be that valuable. I can’t read the labels so guessing it’s a 302? Needs a lot of body work looks like.

Guy's asking a lot for that '59 Coronet, but is too cheap to put in a good battery?
    I kind of like bustlebacks, but not so much the 4100, I think an 80 is the one you want. Coronet is cool, but the price, what?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    gsemike said:
    I kind of like the Dodge as that is the year I was born. Also like the Seville. Too bad it has the HT4100. It is weak and not very durable.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    That 59 Dodge is so very over the top from the headlight eyebrows to the protruding taillights - how can you not like it!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Not a one in the bunch I'd bother with just based on the info/pics/prices provided. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I notice the upholstery in the Seville is relatively basic - must have been the loss leader model.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yeah, that' a base Seville. The headliner looks like it's come unglued and falling down. Early HT 4100 engine that is pure junk.

As far as looks? Bad color for one thing. When those came out I was following one and someone in my car suddenly blurted out " It looks like a garbage truck from the rear! Come to think of it, they do!
    Bustlebacks have long been a guilty pleasure for me. But I would want one without the wire wheels or wire caps, no vinyl top, no continental kit or trunk straps, no faux Rolls-Royce grille, and either an 80 or 81 model, in blue with leather.

I think these are a wheel rather than hubcap, this looks properly equipped:

I recall driving the '80 Seville belonging to one of the bosses at my first job that year. I had gone to lunch with him and the owner and they both had too many drinks so I got to drive them back. The one thing recall is that it had the lightest-effort, most numb power steering I can recall, even worse than what Mopars of the '60s were known for. I guess back then that's what Cadillac buyers wanted, pinky steering.

RE: Early 60s Rambler American---if you want "basic" with a capital "B", this is the car for you. With a flathead engine sporting all the technical wizardry of 1925, and a dashboard adorned with DECALS for labeling the various instruments, plus roll up windows, cloth interior, rubber floor mats instead of carpets and tiny little blackwall tires---then this is the economy king for the frugal driver in 1963. Oddly enough, the basic honesty of the car, and its utter simplicity, are rather appealing when viewed through today's eyes. It can still plug along on major freeways, get 20+ mpg and probably cost about $1.50 to fix.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    fintail said:
    Bustlebacks have long been a guilty pleasure for me. But I would want one without the wire wheels or wire caps, no vinyl top, no continental kit or trunk straps, no faux Rolls-Royce grille, and either an 80 or 81 model, in blue with leather. I think these are a wheel rather than hubcap, this looks properly equipped: image
    I have to agree a little with this.  The Seville and even more so the Eldorado when properly trimmed (or lack of) were good looking vehicles.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2018

https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/d/audi-a5-manual-6-speed-32l/6626972312.html

Not sure if this will be a project or not. It’s my neighbor’s car. He knows zero about cars and zero about the history of his car. He bought it a couple years ago off a used car lot with no inspection, no car fax, nothing. I think at a minimum, I’d be doing every maintenance item I can think of. I’ve only given it a cursory glance. I’m supposed to drive it and check it out carefully tomorrow.

In case anyone has lots of Carfax or auto check access and is curious, the VIN is WAUDK78T19A028820.
    The Eldo was legitimately handsome, when de-pimped anyway. You could option them without wire wheels and the other junk, too, I have seen more of those than cleansed Sevilles.

tjc78 said:

I have to agree a little with this.  The Seville and even more so the Eldorado when properly trimmed (or lack of) were good looking vehicles.  

nice looking Audi. I wouldn't touch it with my wallet though.

lemmer said:

Not sure if this will be a project or not. It’s my neighbor’s car. He knows zero about cars and zero about the history of his car. He bought it a couple years ago off a used car lot with no inspection, no car fax, nothing. I think at a minimum, I’d be doing every maintenance item I can think of. I’ve only given it a cursory glance. I’m supposed to drive it and check it out carefully tomorrow.

In case anyone has lots of Carfax or auto check access and is curious, the VIN is WAUDK78T19A028820.

Looks a bit tarted up. CARFAX shows a rear ender in 2010 and the car was stolen in 2011. After that, it seems to have had an easier life, with 3 other owners.

I think this is one of those cars you can't make too many judgments about without putting it through a PPI.

Spent most of its life in FLA.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Used Audis with a lot of miles scare me worse than anything. Repair costs can be staggering and for some reason they tend not to stay fixed. Our store got to the point we just wholesaled nearly all that we took in. we just got bit too many times. Still, you can get lucky I suppose/

lemmer said:

Looks a bit tarted up. CARFAX shows a rear ender in 2010 and the car was stolen in 2011. After that, it seems to have had an easier life, with 3 other owners.

I think this is one of those cars you can't make too many judgments about without putting it through a PPI.

Spent most of its life in FLA.
    That pretty much seals the deal. I also googled the 3.2L engine and didn't like what I read about the reliability, not to mention all the other stuff that goes wrong on a high mileage Audi.

I already made an appointment with the guy to drive it this afternoon. But I'm pretty certain it is a no go.

One funny thing I forgot to mention - he said he's never had any problems except he had to "replace a piston in the engine for $180". No idea what he was thinking of. One coil pack maybe?
    edited June 2018
    No, no, that makes sense, if you do the work yourself,--- get a used piston from a wreck in the scrapyard and bolt it in--then all you need is one side head gasket, some oil, and an oil pan gasket and some coolant--you could do all that for $180. :p

It might even run for a few days.
    One funny thing I forgot to mention - he said he's never had any problems except he had to "replace a piston in the engine for $180".

I miss Columbo.

No, no, that makes sense, if you do the work yourself,--- get a used piston from a wreck in the scrapyard and bolt it in--then all you need is one side head gasket, some oil, and an oil pan gasket and some coolant--you could do all that for $180. :p

I drove the car. It drove fine. Shifted well, engine felt great. It had light signs of neglect. Three bulbs out - tail light and turn signals, hood shocks were completely shot, paint work on both front fenders (in addition to the rear ender shifty mentioned), scratches and scrapes on the paint, no records of any maintenance, somebody had cheaply "restored" the leather and painted right over the console between the rear seats, bald rear tires (new front tires, said he couldn't afford rear ones), the interior and exterior looked like they had escaped a proper detailing for years. etc. I couldn't tell if the engine was weeping oil or was just filthy. Probably both.

The postscript is he sold the car for full price to a guy who looked at it right after me.
    While cruising Craigslist for Audis, I was shocked at how cheap you can get a an old s4. Meanwhile, the value of M3s is way higher and apparently going up. I know the S4s have some really expensive issues, but it isn't like M cars are cheap to keep running.
    lemmer said:
    No, no, that makes sense, if you do the work yourself,--- get a used piston from a wreck in the scrapyard and bolt it in--then all you need is one side head gasket, some oil, and an oil pan gasket and some coolant--you could do all that for $180. :p It might even run for a few days.
    I drove the car. It drove fine. Shifted well, engine felt great. It had light signs of neglect. Three bulbs out - tail light and turn signals, hood shocks were completely shot, paint work on both front fenders (in addition to the rear ender shifty mentioned), scratches and scrapes on the paint, no records of any maintenance, somebody had cheaply "restored" the leather and painted right over the console between the rear seats, bald rear tires (new front tires, said he couldn't afford rear ones), the interior and exterior looked like they had escaped a proper detailing for years. etc. I couldn't tell if the engine was weeping oil or was just filthy. Probably both. The postscript is he sold the car for full price to a guy who looked at it right after me.
    Found himself a sucker. Hope he appreciates that fact.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

lemmer said:

I drove the car. It drove fine. Shifted well, engine felt great. It had light signs of neglect. Three bulbs out - tail light and turn signals, hood shocks were completely shot, paint work on both front fenders (in addition to the rear ender shifty mentioned), scratches and scrapes on the paint, no records of any maintenance, somebody had cheaply "restored" the leather and painted right over the console between the rear seats, bald rear tires (new front tires, said he couldn't afford rear ones), the interior and exterior looked like they had escaped a proper detailing for years. etc. I couldn't tell if the engine was weeping oil or was just filthy. Probably both.

The postscript is he sold the car for full price to a guy who looked at it right after me.

Found himself a sucker. Hope he appreciates that fact.

Bottom feeder cars always sell for too much. It amazes me that people won't pay a couple extra $K to get a nice well maintained car. If you took that Audi in for a detail and service and had everything caught up to date, I bet you'd already be up to the cost of a much nicer car. And you'd still have one covered in scratches with a nasty carfax and paintwork.
    And Audi's AWD loves having bald tires on one axle, new tires on the other... :s
    My numbers tell me that was an $8k car if clean. As described? I'd be hard pressed to cough up $6k.