Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 Audi A6 2.8L Quantro

azontodanceazontodance Member Posts: 14
edited June 2018 in Audi
Hi everybody. I just bought this 01 audi A6 2.8LT.
It crank, but sounds very low and wont start as if it got a low battery.
I bought a new battery, but it still crank very low and no start. I jumped it with a big truck, still no start. I was thinking it may have a low power starter. But also, not sure. Someone heard the sound and says it sounds like a timing belt problem.

please can I do timing belt job myself? What are the tools needed and what parts do I need to buy.

thanks in advance.
It's a big SIN not to drive the car you love.

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    That uses a timing chain, or should I say chains because there are three of them. This is an interference engine, which means if the cams get out of time, the pistons hit the valves. As far as whether or not you can handle a repair like this or not, there is no way to know that. You need to be able to pull the engine and do the repair on a stand and will need special tools to line up the crankshaft and camshafts in order to install the chains after the cylinder head has been repaired.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Thank you @thecardoc3

I think this is a major problem.  Shouldn't it provide a code in ECU? I have been trying and trying but it not giving me any code. I even used over a thousand dollars obd from a friend, but still no codes . I can't do this myself. Pls how do I test timing belt issues from battery and starter? 
  • Options
    The old standard was to do a compression test and then a cylinder leak down test. You can do a YouTube search and see examples of how to do them. But what we would often encounter is that there are many issues that testing like that is blind to. Standard compression testing gives you some information but not everything you often need.

To prove if the chain has in fact jumped time, the best way to test is with a digital storage oscilloscope and a pressure transducer. In many ways it is similar to a regular compression test but it reveals much more information about the condition of that cylinder in the engine. By combining that test with a high amps current probe to measure the starter current, and taking an ignition command signal to make sure when spark is occurring and an injector command you can see everything all at once. Many times when there is a camshaft/crankshaft synchronization issue the computer will be unable to calculate proper ignition and injection timing which is why we capture all of that simultaneously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwy72aaAFvo

As far as whether you get codes or not. That really depends on the strategy programmed into the PCM to test the camshaft and crankshaft signals. If the strategy requires the engine rpm to be over a minimum value and that happens to be faster than the starter can crank the engine then you won't get any codes for that. However, if the timing is out far enough that the PCM cannot process the signals and figure out when to fire the spark plugs, the result can be that you don't get spark, which goes back to why we test everything simultaneously.
  • Options
    I don't even know what to do. I contacted carcare and they told me i have a timing belt, not chain
  • Options
    It took some searching because the only thing that comes up in the search function when searching timing belt is timing chain in moto-logic. But after digging there are two engines BCY and BRV that do use "a toothed belt" which is possibly why it doesn't come up when looking for a timing belt. So one of those might be your engine. It's still an interference fit and if it has gotten out of time it will still have bent the valves. Look for those three letter codes on the timing cover or valve cover on the engine. There is also a decal on the spare tire cover that might also have the engine code on it.
  • Options
    So I was able to slightly opened the timing plastic cover, I had someone to crank it for me... I saw the toothed belt moving when crank... But with a very slow crank... It seems engine does not have enough power to turn the engine. The toothed belt seems very fine and okay.
  • Options
    You need to measure how much current the starter is pulling from the battery if it is cranking slow. I know that's probably not a test that you can run since it wouldn't be likely that you would have a high amps probe. Measuring the starter current is how we decide if the starter just can't produce the torque to crank the engine or if the engine requires an excessive amount of torque to crank.
  • Options
    I finally replaced the fuel pump and it fixed the problem