Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Auto convertible ZHP?
    $12,900 for the nicest one on the planet.

On a 12 yr old car, I don’t give credit for low miles below 5K mi/yr. It’s not a Ferrari. Most likely, a car with that few miles hasn’t had any maintenance since 2010, when the free maintenance plan ran out. Probably on original tires.

That was a $54K MSRP car in 2006, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It’s well-known that ZHP owners are smarter and prettier than most people, and have a sparkling wit, though. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Bahahahaha.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    kyfdx said:

It’s well-known that ZHP owners are smarter and prettier than most people, and have a sparkling wit, though. ;)

I completely exemplify this statement which is exactly why I need another one!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I am not sure when I last checked in. It has probably been a couple years. I think I had a 6 speed TL and a Boxster S at that time. Since then, I've sold those and bought and sold -

2006 BMW M5 (for a week before I came to my senses and returned it to Carmax)
    2006 Lexus IS350
    2007 MINI Cooper S (owned for a week before I passed it on to a friend)
    2015 Acura RDX (wife tired of it so it became my car for a while)

I currently have -

2014 BMW i3
    2011 BMW 128i
    2012 Prius (my teen daughter drives and wrecked and loves)
    2004 Stella 150 scooter (bought to scooter with my wife)
    2008 Kymco People 150 scooter (wife loves it in concept but never rides, so I ride it)
    1999 Yamaha TW200

That must have been a beautiful week with the M5.

That must have been a beautiful week with the M5.

It was both beautiful and terrifying when you turned off the electronic nannies. It would smoke the tires until you ran out of courage.

But commuting to work, it felt like a normal 5 series with a blown out exhaust header and the world's clunkiest transmission (SMG).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I like that hot rod. But not that baby blue.

The GTM looks painful to deal with. As in physically.

Pretty SAAB. But wrong trans, and way too many miles.

I like this. I always had a sweet spot for these. Should have bought one when they were cheaper!

https://www.bmwoffairfax.com/used/BMW/2017-BMW-M240i-fairfax-653660ff0a0d04fe22b3e01f54d25884.htm?utm_source=cars.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=deeplink

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

I like this. I always had a sweet spot for these. Should have bought one when they were cheaper!

https://www.bmwoffairfax.com/used/BMW/2017-BMW-M240i-fairfax-653660ff0a0d04fe22b3e01f54d25884.htm?utm_source=cars.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=deeplink

That's really pretty, and a steal for $36,500.

Give me a coupe with a stick, and that could work!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

That's really pretty, and a steal for $36,500.

Give me a coupe with a stick, and that could work!
    Tip for the Sonic dealers - they are fixed price and they drop the prices over time. When the cars go on the lot, the last digit in the price is 1, then a 2, then a 3, and finally a 4. So usually when the last digit is a $4, that is your best deal. Sometimes they will drop it again, but the last number is still a 4. So that BMW is probably is cheap as it is going to get.
    stickguy said:

That car is a steal, especially with qualifying for 0.99% financing for 60 months.
    That was the wrong link. I meant to post to a yellow TR-6 on BaT!

the red 240i I found for Jr. It was cheap. I believe though it is RWD not xDrive like the ad mentions (at least my son thought so). But, that is a plus to me! He liked the Estoril Blue AWD better though, even though it is a little more expensive (listed).

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I drove a 2018 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7 this afternoon. Dealer didn't seem busy at all--not good for the end of the month! The 2.7 / 10 speed auto is a great powertrain. You can easily smoke the rear tires. Definitely a lot more power than the Tahoe. It would really be a beast if you added a little more boost, which apparently you can do with an aftermarket device if you're willing to burn premium fuel. I did not feel like it rode noticeably better than the Tahoe, despite the significantly longer wheelbase. The idle stop was not noticeable and did not bother me. I agree with henryn that it is extremely quiet. I didn't mess with the infotainment, but it looked really good, especially compared to the Tahoe's basic radio with a matrix LED display.

The gripe I have is that the Tahoe, at 202", is roughly the length of a full size car. The F-150 is two and a half feet longer. You don't feel that out on the highway, but it creates a very large turning radius. The F-150 isn't really wider than the Tahoe, but the overhangs created by the length make it difficult to maneuver in tight quarters. I had to do a five point turn and constantly check the mirrors just to get it out of its space in the dealer's lot. I felt like I was going to sideswipe the adjacent vehicles. I probably never would have noticed if their lot wasn't almost completely full with the vehicles jammed together like sardines. If I needed a replacement for the Tahoe, the F-150 would definitely be a frontrunner, but driving it didn't quite give me the itch.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I agree, it is big, and it feels even bigger when you're trying to maneuver in a tight space. Which is one reason why I bought a regular cab last year, much easier to maneuver, to park, etc.

But overall, I am quite happy to be back in a supercrew. Did you try folding up the two back seats to see just how much flat interior floor space that leaves? It is amazing what you can carry back there.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited June 2018
    I kind of like the LCI(facelifted) M240i, but not enough to trade my M235i for one. I think I'm going to hang on to it and get a M Performance differential and a mild tune. I might install the M Performance interior trim(alcantara/carbon fiber) as well. My bride likes the all-black M Performance grills, so why not?
    About the only thing I'd rather have is a M2 Competition or a Stelvio Quadrifoglio and either one would cost many, MANY, times more than the cost of those upgrades that I have planned for my car...
    Of course, if I win something in the BMW CCA raffle all bets are off. B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

might have to look this one over when I am at the dealer tomorrow. Really curious to know what they are asking for it (I hate ads with "please call for price"). I assume between that and no pics, not on site yet so can't price accurately.

Though I have to wonder what makes me think buying an 8 YO Audi is a smart idea, other than I love this body style, and the color, and it is a manual.

https://www.bmwmainline.com/used/Audi/2011-Audi-A4-4c7545280a0d0cc729339441133ef21d.htm

one of these would make the wife happy, and not break the bank. Kind of low content though. I want something that supports on screen navi somehow. Loving carplay. But it is basically just a car!

https://www.bmwmainline.com/certified/BMW/2015-BMW-3+Series-d1e9b8de0a0d0cc73e5e1b3c5adb3c45.htm

Allrighty now, this is the one. What a unicorn up here. A RWD 3 series sedan, with a Stick? Loving it. 535 miles only? Odd. too bad it is out of my price range, because I would love one of these. I might have to figure out how to make it work if it was a chestnut interior!

https://www.bmwmainline.com/used/BMW/2017-BMW-3+Series-fccbec770a0d04fe10b5f529472110b2.htm

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I like that 330i.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    pensfan83 said:
    I like that 330i.
    That makes 2 of us

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

henryn said:
    I agree, it is big, and it feels even bigger when you're trying to maneuver in a tight space. Which is one reason why I bought a regular cab last year, much easier to maneuver, to park, etc. But overall, I am quite happy to be back in a supercrew. Did you try folding up the two back seats to see just how much flat interior floor space that leaves? It is amazing what you can carry back there.
    I looked in the back seat and it was cavernous! Didn’t try folding them. It was really hot and I didn’t want to spend any more time outside. 
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2018
    stickguy said:

....Allrighty now, this is the one. What a unicorn up here. A RWD 3 series sedan, with a Stick? Loving it. 535 miles only? Odd. too bad it is out of my price range, because I would love one of these. I might have to figure out how to make it work if it was a chestnut interior!

https://www.bmwmainline.com/used/BMW/2017-BMW-3+Series-fccbec770a0d04fe10b5f529472110b2.htm

Interesting. This nearly-new rare manual BMW seems loaded. 0-60 in 5.5. Based on the options and the BMW build-your-own site, I'm guessing the original msrp was c. $48k? Might be worth making an offer....? Or at least taking a fun test drive? Maybe ask to see a pic of the original Monroney? Will BMW finance at a low rate on these?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    sda said:

Looks like a solid truck. Any rust? What engine, transmission? That series was a clean design.

Solid for a (nearly) fully original 50-year-old beast! It as a little rust in the bottom of the doors due to water drainage issues. The biggest issue, currently, is needing to put a new bed on it due to the wood being mostly rotted. It sat in a yard for about 23 years with a cab-over camper on the back, so that wood saw a lot of continuous moisture.

307 and 4-speed Muncie transmission; 74,000 miles (29K when I bought it in 1997!). I need to replace the tires again, too. The set on it replaced the originals in July of 1997. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    breld said:

Actually my wife was questioning why they revived the Insight name as it doesnt exactly conjure up any high point for Honda.  

Maybe they have some sort of insight that escapes the rest of us...?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited June 2018
    stickguy said:

My guess, about trade value. Maybe a little less. He seems to think the numbers work. The BMW at least seems to be a good deal.

This would likely be a classic CCBA justification. Reset the loan clock to 60 months, up the payment maybe $100, and good to go.

One lesson learned. Never, ever buy an Audi new.

And BMW is better? Or, was this 2 series a used model?

EDIT: Further reading confirmed that it was, indeed, used! :)
    au1994 said:

Yes, it is an automatic. I’m ok with that in Atlanta traffic. Plus an auto convertible is less likely to be flogged but at 13k miles, not much flogging could have taken place.

Even at the low miles I’d need a high comfort level with maintenance or be able to plan for it. Rubber bits don’t like to sit so that would be a concern. The cooling system in the E46 is a known weak point. Need to know if the airbags have been done too. Tires looked good but not sure of the age. Lots of questions but for the right price, its a great car.

She hasn’t texted or called back with a number so nothing to get excited about yet.

Not that this car would suffer from this, but just to add a little soberness to the idea of 13,000 miles being a level at which "not much flogging could have taken place....."

I had a friend who owned a 2004 Cobra. He bought it used with about 2,500 miles on it (and something like six years old at the time). Totally pristine. He had about 4,000 miles on it when he sold it several years later, but most (and I do mean MOST) of the miles he put on it were a quarter mile at a time.... I cannot even remember all the upgrades and replaced parts (due to breakage, mostly) I help him put on that car during those few short years....

Dog miles probably don't even describe how fast the mechanicals on that car probably aged. He got a great price for it, though. The 4,000 miles really sold it.

nyccarguy said:
    pensfan83 said:
    I like that 330i.
    That makes 2 of us
    3 of us
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     I think the color of the new trucks interior that you bought is called earth there’s also another color that’s even where it’s like a brown not sure which one you have the ortho is pretty common and black is that the color you have on your new truck interior earth all the other cars you all posted above sound interesting 
     Second interview at the rally auto group went well Wednesday had the first interview with the HR girl that he met with the manager of the business development department they’re gonna let me know if they decide to choose me I’m praying that they do they’re still interviewing some more people I definitely told him in the HR woman on Wednesday about my love of coarse hopefully that helps and overlook the disability just want to be given a chance finally after a number of years of fighting in applying for jobs 
    This dealer group only has a couple of dealers and it’s a family owned and they’re all higher and luxury makes Lexus be MW Acura think Audi too I know I’m missing some Mercedes two went to the BMW dealer to meet with the business development manager got there the number of minutes before nine took Uber so I walked up to a few cars only the show room was huge I didn’t walk up to any and I mean all of them I should’ve I had the time but I just didn’t because I was waiting for the receptionist to come in so I could ask for the business development manager
     There was one orange juice gold colored small SUV or wagon that was low to the ground that I took a picture it’s on my Facebook I don’t know how to post pictures here that was the only one that I walked up to that I loved there’s also a two door coupe in black I think it was definitely have a red interior 
      So there was two punches I thought I read earlier today in the past week I know Henry water pick up truck last night and who was the other punch didn’t read back all the pages to check 

I think the color of the new trucks interior that you bought is called earth there’s also another color that’s even where it’s like a brown not sure which one you have the ortho is pretty common and black is that the color you have on your new truck interior earth all the other cars you all posted above sound interesting 

The window sticker says "MEDIUM CAMEL CLOTH". I'm 50% color blind, so don't trust me to tell you anything about colors. (smile)
    edited June 2018

So there was two punches I thought I read earlier today in the past week I know Henry water pick up truck last night and who was the other punch didn’t read back all the pages to check 

My family got a new CR-V in the bright red "lava" color. It's mainly my wife's car. In the AWD version like we have it weighs almost 3500 lbs.

love that color. But you are right, many of the compact/mid sized CUVs are quite the porkers.

Very nice Benjamin on the new CRVE. So did he trade in the accord right you both had an accord prior? Love that red I think they make a darker red also like the one on the pilot but I prefer the lava red looks awesome 
     That’s OK they are partially or half color blind don’t worry camel very well could be a different interior color the one you mentioned I don’t think it’s earth is another one that we are one but I looked online today at work I was bored out of my mind and I found one truck with the same interior color as yours the rest were black and a couple of the earth gray ones anyway good luck with the truck regardless 
    edited June 2018
    stickguy said:

love that color. But you are right, many of the compact/mid sized CUVs are quite the porkers.

The luxury Acura RDX AWD of the last generation weighs almost two tons....
    edited June 2018

Yesterday morning, I saw a newish Toyota Tundra pickup. It had a tag on the side that said "1794 Edition," and it was a deep, rich brown with an almost orangish saddle brown leather interior. That truck's color scheme was simply gorgeous.
    Didn't @breld also pull the trigger on that Prius Prime? I think he did. Shoot; three. We're hopping now!
    I think my RDX AWD weighs about 3,600. But at least it has a 275HP V6 to make up for it.

looks like the convertible shopping trip is off. Checked this AM, and the car is not on the web site any longer. So son is calling the dealer contact to confirm before we schlep over there.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    edited June 2018
    stickguy said:
    might have to look this one over when I am at the dealer tomorrow. Really curious to know what they are asking for it (I hate ads with "please call for price"). I assume between that and no pics, not on site yet so can't price accurately. Though I have to wonder what makes me think buying an 8 YO Audi is a smart idea, other than I love this body style, and the color, and it is a manual. https://www.bmwmainline.com/used/Audi/2011-Audi-A4-4c7545280a0d0cc729339441133ef21d.htm one of these would make the wife happy, and not break the bank. Kind of low content though. I want something that supports on screen navi somehow. Loving carplay. But it is basically just a car! https://www.bmwmainline.com/certified/BMW/2015-BMW-3+Series-d1e9b8de0a0d0cc73e5e1b3c5adb3c45.htm Allrighty now, this is the one. What a unicorn up here. A RWD 3 series sedan, with a Stick? Loving it. 535 miles only? Odd. too bad it is out of my price range, because I would love one of these. I might have to figure out how to make it work if it was a chestnut interior! https://www.bmwmainline.com/used/BMW/2017-BMW-3+Series-fccbec770a0d04fe10b5f529472110b2.htm
    They actually bought that at the NJ auction. $28k on the nose on 6/13. $8k markup and not even CPO? That's...cheeky of them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited June 2018
    xwesx said:

Yesterday morning, I saw a newish Toyota Tundra pickup. It had a tag on the side that said "1794 Edition," and it was a deep, rich brown with an almost orangish saddle brown leather interior. That truck's color scheme was simply gorgeous.

That's a good color. The Tundra is the most outdated of the full-size trucks. They did add Toyota Safety Sense as standard equipment. Those features are something no other full sizer offers standard.
    Saw a Tesla Model 3 on the road in Louisville today. Not a bad looking car, but doesn't look nearly as fancy as a Model S.
    corvette said:

That's a good color. The Tundra is the most outdated of the full-size trucks. They did add Toyota Safety Sense as standard equipment. Those features are something no other full sizer offers standard.

I thought that honor belonged to the Nissan Titan?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2018
    corvette said:

Saw a Tesla Model 3 on the road in Louisville today. Not a bad looking car, but doesn't look nearly as fancy as a Model S.

Don't like the nose on it; otherwise not bad. Also don't like the window sticker. You can buy some pretty nice 4-wheel toys for $57,000.
    stickguy said:
    looks like the convertible shopping trip is off. Checked this AM, and the car is not on the web site any longer. So son is calling the dealer contact to confirm before we schlep over there.
    Lucky him!   Hahah
    henryn said:
    I thought that honor belonged to the Nissan Titan?
    It was redesigned a couple years ago and they now offer a medium duty Titan XD. I think both of those trucks have been panned in reviews. 
    convertible did sell yesterday. Good thing I checked the web site this morning, before we wasted a trip. Went to Ikea instead, since he needed furniture. Spent less there.

He actually said last night he pretty much decided he wasnt buying it, unless they just made him a Godfather offer (which they were not likely to do). Will either pay down the current car, or put more money into a Roth, instead. At some point, might buy a toy like a Miata to get the convertible fix. And after cramming all the stuff into our CUV then his A3, did agree something with utility value as your only car is important.

he still wants an A5 sportback. And we passed the Kia distribution center today, and they had some Stingers, so he was thinking a stinger GT at some point could be interesting.

Very nice west on the tundra you sought yes it’s the oldest truck out there but that color combo sounds lovely. The titan was redesigned in 2016 or 17 one of those two years think the diesel one came out in 2016 and the regular play duty truck in 2017 
     Went to a car show over here today for a few hours little bit of everything so I’m one car like mine but a convertible that was it all the other usual cars that were there but definitely more nice hot hot out there