Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Used Kia Optima vs New Mazda3

chkgnmbrs221chkgnmbrs221 Member Posts: 21
edited June 2018 in General
Hello, looking for information from those who may know about cars on here. I am looking at either leasing a brand new Mazda3 GT sedan or buying a used Kia Optima SXL (2015 or 2016). The Kia is a bigger car with more cargo room but the 3 is better for mpg and has better driving dynamics. The payment would be about the same. I am open to leasing a new Kia as well, but the payment would be much higher than the 3 (about 100.00/month).
Does anyone recommend one over the other, either based on the car itself or on lease vs buy? Thank you.

Comments

• chkgnmbrs221chkgnmbrs221 Member Posts: 21
    Anyone?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

Hello, looking for information from those who may know about cars on here. I am looking at either leasing a brand new Mazda3 GT sedan or buying a used Kia Optima SXL (2015 or 2016). The Kia is a bigger car with more cargo room but the 3 is better for mpg and has better driving dynamics. The payment would be about the same. I am open to leasing a new Kia as well, but the payment would be much higher than the 3 (about 100.00/month).
    Does anyone recommend one over the other, either based on the car itself or on lease vs buy? Thank you.

So we need some more information from you before rendering a decision. How many miles per year do you drive? What's your employment/life/family status?

Blanket - I'd go for the new MAZDA 3. The used Optima might have somewhat of a checkered past.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited June 2018
    I think it depends on your intended ownership length, too, as well as cost of insurance. If you don't plan to keep it long, the actual cost you pay on the purchase may be higher than with the lease. If you lease, your costs are fixed and your risk is minimal. If you plan on a longer term ownership if you buy, then your costs are quite likely to be lower over that timeline.

Edit: I don't think the merits of the vehicles themselves really come into play all that much here. Yes, Optima is bigger, but it seems that what you really need here is reliable transportation as opposed to a specific list of features.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I vote for the Mazda3.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Thank you for your replies and insight. As requested, here is the background. I have a 3 now. Can re-up for a lease. Might buy at the end if it makes sense; it does NOT make sense currently. They want 6 grand above FMV (Edmunds, Cargurus, Kelley, Nada, TrueCar sources) because that is what was in the contract. Obviously they did not hit the residual quite right.

I like cars and modifying them. This was my first try at a lease so I did not get to modify it. For the new car I would plan on making some mods as I would plan to buy it at the end. The 3 really is a great car, has been fantastic. However, I have run into issues many times with things like trunk space. We cannot always fit our luggage, bikes, whatever. We travel alot. I normally like to buy smaller cars so I can park easily in cities but the space issues has been an issue a few too many times. I also just like the look of the Kia and the panoramic roof and all its goodies. We do sometimes go on long road trips like up and down the eastern seaboard.

Another option has been a used q50 which would get me AWD and the space, goodies, etc...but the MPG is terrible. With so much driving, that is important. Seems only the German cars have been able to master AWD and over 32 mpg. Looked hard at the new Stinger (non-GT) as it has the mpg, awd, and the cargo space. but again no good deals. I got a lease quote at over 700/month with 4k down! I will say again though that the 3 may be the best car I have owned to date! Just wish it had awd/more cargo space!
    edited June 2018
    I vote for the Mazda3.

Thank you for your replies and insight. As requested, here is the background. I have a 3 now. Can re-up for a lease. Might buy at the end if it makes sense; it does NOT make sense currently. They want 6 grand above FMV (Edmunds, Cargurus, Kelley, Nada, TrueCar sources) because that is what was in the contract. Obviously they did not hit the residual quite right.

I like cars and modifying them. This was my first try at a lease so I did not get to modify it. For the new car I would plan on making some mods as I would plan to buy it at the end. The 3 really is a great car, has been fantastic. However, I have run into issues many times with things like trunk space. We cannot always fit our luggage, bikes, whatever. We travel alot. I normally like to buy smaller cars so I can park easily in cities but the space issues has been an issue a few too many times. I also just like the look of the Kia and the panoramic roof and all its goodies. We do sometimes go on long road trips like up and down the eastern seaboard.

Another option has been a used q50 which would get me AWD and the space, goodies, etc...but the MPG is terrible. With so much driving, that is important. Seems only the German cars have been able to master AWD and over 32 mpg. Looked hard at the new Stinger (non-GT) as it has the mpg, awd, and the cargo space. but again no good deals. I got a lease quote at over 700/month with 4k down! I will say again though that the 3 may be the best car I have owned to date! Just wish it had awd/more cargo space!

Have you done a test drive of the new Accord? They are weird looking but impressive imho, and they have lots and lots of room. If you want outstanding mpg and good power, try the hybrid. If you want to be able to go really fast try the 2.0. The standard 1.5 turbo is also pretty good and will likely beat a Mazda3 in a drag race.

Just in the last few days a new $1000 incentive has been added to the following top end Accord models only....

1.5 EXL w/NAV
    1.5 Touring
    2.0 EXL
    2.0 EXL w/NAV

All Accord models except the hybrid also have 1.9 financing for 3 years or 2.9 for 5 years.

Most Honda dealers are overflowing with stock on Accords, and seem to be ready to deal to move the metal.

What equipment/options do you most want? Is power or mpg more important to you? What is your budget or monthly payment goal?

The Accord Sport 1.5 is the value buy. Great 18" wheels. AndroidAuto/Carplay. But it does not have a moonroof, and the stereo is so-so at best (although could be upgraded). It lists for c. $26.5k, but you might be able to get c.3.5k off, and at c. 23k it's a lot of car for the money. Has HondaSensing standard, which has adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist etc. Great feature that I love more than I expected on our new CR-V.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Thank you for your replies and insight. As requested, here is the background. I have a 3 now. Can re-up for a lease. Might buy at the end if it makes sense; it does NOT make sense currently. They want 6 grand above FMV (Edmunds, Cargurus, Kelley, Nada, TrueCar sources) because that is what was in the contract. Obviously they did not hit the residual quite right. I like cars and modifying them. This was my first try at a lease so I did not get to modify it. For the new car I would plan on making some mods as I would plan to buy it at the end. The 3 really is a great car, has been fantastic. However, I have run into issues many times with things like trunk space. We cannot always fit our luggage, bikes, whatever. We travel alot. I normally like to buy smaller cars so I can park easily in cities but the space issues has been an issue a few too many times. I also just like the look of the Kia and the panoramic roof and all its goodies. We do sometimes go on long road trips like up and down the eastern seaboard. Another option has been a used q50 which would get me AWD and the space, goodies, etc...but the MPG is terrible. With so much driving, that is important. Seems only the German cars have been able to master AWD and over 32 mpg. Looked hard at the new Stinger (non-GT) as it has the mpg, awd, and the cargo space. but again no good deals. I got a lease quote at over 700/month with 4k down! I will say again though that the 3 may be the best car I have owned to date! Just wish it had awd/more cargo space!
    So I can tell you that last March I bought a CPO Q40 AWD gets crummy gas mileage.  I hit 19.6 last week which is on the higher side for my 65 mile per day round trip commute.  That being said; I don’t care.  I friggin love it!  If space is an issue and you LOVE the way the 3 drives, then why not try a nice rack system.  Thule bars & a roof box coupled with a bike rack could help your cause.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited July 2018
    If the OP got a new 1.5 turbo Civic EX-T (c.$22k/c.36 mpg) instead of a car that gets c. 20 mpg, they would save about $1200 a year on gas.

The Optima is a good car overall, but it has really poor rear visibility. I think it has the worst rear visibility—because of super thick rear pillars—of any car I can think of. If that doesn't bother you it could be a good choice.
    Thanks, yes, I did not mention but a sunroof and premium audio is important to me and the bose system in the mazda is what initially sold me when i first got the car. The stinger's is only system I have heard that trumped that. It is why I cannot get an audi....the prestige is the only one that has the top level stereo and you cannot get any sort of good deal on that.

I did just find a 2015 optima sxl for 18k with only 30k miles on it. Could offer 17k, though it is already listed at 2400 below fmv.

I did try out a Volvo but hated the stereo so it was a no-go. I do not want a car that does not get at least 30mpg hwy.

I did look at the Accord too but I am sorry but to me it is just so ugly. Like they could not decide if they wanted a sportback design or not, so went with the look but not the actual sportback hatch. Like the Stinger but not as nice. I like the Camry better. Gave that a shot too but could not get a deal to work out on that either. 500/month with 3800 down seemed high to me.

Honestly just so tired of dealers as a whole. They seem to be living in the 90s. They do not want to do any business via email or text. They want you to come in, and on THEIR schedule. They act like they are doing you a favor by letting you buy from them. They want to do the whole song and dance, talking to their managers, etc. The sales managers cannot be talked to directly. I heard one guy tell someone else 'be a man' trying to aggressively push the guy to buy something he did not want. They are awful. You can buy cars online now and there are so many tools out there now (like THIS FORUM!) where the salespeople are really obsolete. We can get the info we need ourselves, know what we want and what we should pay. Should be able to just make a deal happen based on that. I even tried CarMax recently, and they had a car that was priced about 4.5k over FMV. I sent them screen shots showing this, like Kelley, CarGurus, NADA, etc. They just came back to me and said that they offer a 5 day money back guarantee, so that makes it worth paying the extra money. Seriously, I have the email. Sorry, just realized I went off and did a long rant about dealers! Just been bothering me.
    What budget or monthly payment number are you aiming for?

Have you tried AndroidAuto/CarPlay yet? In my mind this is essential for any new car purchase. Google maps provides outstanding voice activated navigation. Unfortunately I don't think Mazda has it yet. Mazdas are great, and I love the handling on them. Have owned two. But at this point they Mazdas to be behind on tech.

If you need a great stereo and a moonroof, in terms of a Civic you'd need to move up to the Touring, which is c. 25k. But it's totally loaded and a good value for the money, and is rated 42 mpg on the highway with its turbo. If you can live with an OK stereo, the Civic EXT might work and that would save about 3k. Honda has 1.9 financing for 5 years on the last of the 2018s, but based on the low stock at my local dealers they are almost gone. Guess the revised 2019 Civic will be introduced soon.
    edited July 2018
    Have you considered the Hyundai Elantra Sport? Sort of like a Civic Si but thousands less. Someone here owns one and he likes it. Check out this one at my local dealer, which seems like a good deal for c. $20k. It does have AndroidAuto, as does almost everyone at this point but Mazda. Oh, Toyota doesn't have it either.

https://www.oxmoorhyundai.com/inventory/2018-hyundai-elantra-sport-fwd-4d-sedan-kmhd04lb9ju657424

Thanks, will take a look. Honestly, I need to be cutting down the options, not adding to them, ha!
    Oh and I agree, I want the android auto. I did look online and saw that you can add it via usb flash to the mazdas. have not done it yet myself though.

Oh and I agree, I want the android auto. I did look online and saw that you can add it via usb flash to the mazdas. have not done it yet myself though.

Mmmm. I'll believe it when I see it. If it's that easy, why doesn't Mazda just offer AndroidAuto?
    Don't know....and it is that easy. I know a few people that did it personally. Just did not bother with it because my lease was coming due, as it has now.