Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    kyfdx said:
    @qbrozen That's a lot of pressure when @breld asks for a number. It's possible that he needs it, immediately! :D
    Well, not immediately, but the wheels are always turning.   :)

I’ve been driving the wife’s Volvo more often recently, so I’ll get out of that and realize how rewarding a sports sedan (or wagon in this case), is to drive.  

And of course the Q7 is much more like that than the Discovery, so I just start thinking, “Hmm...”

Theoretically, if I find a slightly used Q7 and the values are similar, I simply pay the profit the dealer has to make and I’m in and out.  Easy peasy.

In theory of course.  Reality may be different.  And all the reasons I chose the Discovery over the Q7 initially are still relevant - I just have to get over the dismal dealership experience.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    breld said: And all the reasons I chose the Discovery over the Q7 initially are still relevant - I just have to get over the dismal dealership experience.
    Just think, if you just stick it out and keep it until the warranty is up, you’ll never have to go to the dealer again! 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    What did the disco run ya?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

$68k

Ouch

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

What about lemon law? Sorry but I haven't kept up on any probs you have been experiencing

Well, I’m probably exaggerating somewhat.  It’s not as nightmarish as some others’ experiences.  

They had committed to replacing the bumper cover due to some fairly minor damage during transit.  It’s all good now, but the process wasn’t as smooth as I would have expected.

And coming home from vacation to a dead battery turned into a bit of an ordeal, ultimately resulting in a bad battery being replaced.  

The “bedside manner” of the service department just leaves a whole lot to be desired.  And there are fewer choices in dealers than most other makes.  

As for the value, yes, “ouch,” but not unexpected, and pretty much on par with any over luxury vehicle sans Lexus.  Which means if I were to choose to make a switch, as long as I buy used and buy smart (using the great information you provide), it’s not the end of the world.

The obvious error on my part, considering my habits, is buying a luxury car new, which breaks one of my primary rules.  

I think that is why I have patronized the Ford / Nissan dealer in the sketchy part of town. They have to try harder, and the online reviews I’ve seen seem to confirm that they do. 
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    "Ouch" is right! Think right now, my limit would be $20K and whatever trade value I could get for the Golf. The local Toyota store has slightly used Q3's and QX30's at very decent asking prices with somewhat low miles. Not sure what these get in the city and on the highway but hopefully around 30 combined. That's why the new Insight has gotten my interest, the great mpg's it gets. But my timing's a bit off as I've decided to give the Hertz gig another year, until the end of 2019 as I'll have just turned 65. With all the miles I put on now, the time to get the Insight would have to be now. But first, I need to test drive one to see if I could live with it on a daily basis. And also need to get a final tally on my medical bills from my gall bladder surgery.
    Right now getting a few bills but mostly explanations from my insurance company saying in big letters, "this is not a bill" up at the top. So, just need to see where I end up owing and then go from there. Am hoping my out of pocket won't be over $5K to be honest. Will not go into my retirement accounts to pay for any of it so will have to see how it all pans out.

The Sandman :oB)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    One of the things that you should expect from a luxury brand is a great service experience. In my opinion, the differences between a Chevrolet and a Cadillac (the cars themselves) are not as big, and not as important, as the differences between the dealerships, and most particularly the service departments.

My wife bought a 3 year old Cadillac (with a 4 year warranty) in 2001. So we had a few interactions with the service department, nothing major. I was overwhelmed, in a very positive way. I understood, for the first time, why people would pay so much for a luxury car. All my experiences with dealer service departments up until then had been Mopar, Ford, and Chevy. The difference was truly night and day.

Then, in 2008, my wife bought the new Passat. And the service department at West Houston Volkswagen rivaled the Cadillac dealer. Absolutely outstanding, in every way. I brought in the car once for something minor, and the general manager came out to greet me and ask about my experience. Having had a little experience in management, I asked him how he achieved that level of excellence, day in and day out.

He said something along the lines of, “It’s simple, really. I pay the most, and I expect the most, and I stay on top of it. Every day.”
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    @sandman_6472 - I think that Insight should definitely be on your short list. It sounds like you have been very fond of Honda products from your past, and even the Civic has started to grow on you. To me, this new Insight really improves on the looks of the Civic, inside and out. And it seems to be priced very competitively.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    edited July 2018
    henryn said:

One of the things that you should expect from a luxury brand is a great service experience. In my opinion, the differences between a Chevrolet and a Cadillac (the cars themselves) are not as big, and not as important, as the differences between the dealerships, and most particularly the service departments.

My wife bought a 3 year old Cadillac (with a 4 year warranty) in 2001. So we had a few interactions with the service department, nothing major. I was overwhelmed, in a very positive way. I understood, for the first time, why people would pay so much for a luxury car. All my experiences with dealer service departments up until then had been Mopar, Ford, and Chevy. The difference was truly night and day.

Then, in 2008, my wife bought the new Passat. And the service department at West Houston Volkswagen rivaled the Cadillac dealer. Absolutely outstanding, in every way. I brought in the car once for something minor, and the general manager came out to greet me and ask about my experience. Having had a little experience in management, I asked him how he achieved that level of excellence, day in and day out.

He said something along the lines of, “It’s simple, really. I pay the most, and I expect the most, and I stay on top of it. Every day.”

Just the other day I was explaining to a colleague how my experience with Audi (and similar to other luxury dealerships) has spoiled me to regular cars and the service experience.

I had to point out, I was spoiled, and I couldn't believe "Kia had the gall to inconvenience me without a loaner car during my oil change service." I had forgot how non-luxury makes operated.

A free rental is no match for a loaner. One is about 30 minutes faster (less wasted time) than the other.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

I’d like to know relative auction values for my car versus the runner up. If values aren’t available for 2018, 2017s would give me an idea.

So mine:

2018 Land Rover Discovery
    HSE trim level
    TD6 (diesel)
    Major option packages: Windsor leather, 7 seat, Remote Seat Fold, Cold Climate, Drive Pro, Vision Assist

Runner up:

2018 Audi Q7
    Prestige trim level
    Driver assistant package, most everything else is included in the Prestige trim.

If it’s easy enough, I’d be curious the difference in value between the Prestige trim and Premium Plus.

Thanks!

So 2018 disco diesels. BUT, the 2017 gassers and diesels are the same value. SO, since 2018 gassers are in the $57k-$58k range, we could guess so is the diesel. Meaning maybe $56k trade.

Assuming v6 Q7, about $52k vs $59k.

On the Audi, so $52k to $59k is the range for 2018 3.0Ts, from Premium Plus up to Prestige?

breld said:
    breld said:
    I’d like to know relative auction values for my car versus the runner up. If values aren’t available for 2018, 2017s would give me an idea. So mine: 2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE trim level TD6 (diesel) Major option packages: Windsor leather, 7 seat, Remote Seat Fold, Cold Climate, Drive Pro, Vision Assist Runner up: 2018 Audi Q7 Prestige trim level Driver assistant package, most everything else is included in the Prestige trim. If it’s easy enough, I’d be curious the difference in value between the Prestige trim and Premium Plus. Thanks!
    So 2018 disco diesels. BUT, the 2017 gassers and diesels are the same value. SO, since 2018 gassers are in the $57k-$58k range, we could guess so is the diesel. Meaning maybe $56k trade.

Assuming v6 Q7, about $52k vs $59k.
    On the Audi, so $52k to $59k is the range for 2018 3.0Ts, from Premium Plus up to Prestige?
    Correct. $7k difference in the trim levels

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    henryn said:

Funny thing, our nearest Cadillac dealer is pretty miserable- with respect to sales and service- to the point that a friend who leans towards American brands-is one and done with Cadillac and now owns a Lexus RX and a Z4...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    @qbrozen - you hit the nail on the head & helped my friend out big time!  Thank-you!  He got $9K for his Dirty CarFax close to 100K Mile 2014 V6 Accord Sedan & picked himself up that Estoril Blue 440xi Drop Top.  Needless to say he’s a happy camper!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    nyccarguy said:

@qbrozen - you hit the nail on the head & helped my friend out big time!  Thank-you!  He got $9K for his Dirty CarFax close to 100K Mile 2014 V6 Accord Sedan & picked himself up that Estoril Blue 440xi Drop Top.  Needless to say he’s a happy camper!

Nice to go from the Accord to a real fun to drive car. As nice as a V6 Accord can be, it isn't fun to drive. You won't see anyone in an Accord tackling apex's on canyon roads with any authority.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    nyccarguy said:
    So what did he pay for the bimmer?

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

So what did he pay for the bimmer?

I just spoke to him briefly last night. I'll find out!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@qbrozen - He got them to knock $1000 off their asking price which pegs it exactly where you said it should be.  

He called me from the F&I office.  He asked me about the tire & wheel insurance for $2,300.  I told him to politely decline.  Then his wife called me back and was feeling the pressure of the F&I.  I told her to stick $2,300 in a savings account and self insure.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    what was that one listed at? I looked at so many links I can't remember.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

IIRC, $54k. 

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,532
    qbrozen said:

List for 7995 and take 7.

If carsense exceeds $5k, if they even want it at all, I'd be surprised.

So another spot on assessment from @qbrozen. Listed my aunt's 2010 Sonata for $7,995 and received an offer within a week of $7,300 which was accepted.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • chkgnmbrs221chkgnmbrs221 Member Posts: 21
    @qbrozen, I just posted a question about resale value for a 2015 kia optima sxl with 13k vs a 2018 Mazda3 GT with premium package CPO with 8k on it. I may want to try and trade the car in a year or two if the value holds. Both cars have clean carfax and are pristine. 13k on a 2015 seems a great find but I know that the Optimas had issues with the theta II engine. Anyway, can you offer any insight or opinion as to what would make for the better buy? Even say I kept the car for 5 years.

Thank you very much, from what I have read you seem to be a great source for such knowledge.
    let's see... the Optima is worth mid 18s at auction, so let's shoot high and say you buy it for $23k. The mazda is very similarly valued, assuming it is a sedan.

assuming 12k miles per year, a 2012 optima with 49k vs a 2015 mazda3 with 44k are you comparables. I see about an $800 advantage to the mazda when looking at the mazda3i and about $2k for the mazda3s vs the Optima SX.

• omygod711omygod711 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am looking for a more realistic the trade in value of my car. I have a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L. Black. 27,000 miles. I would consider it to be in Good condition but theres a few minor bumper marks from parking on the street every day. There's also insurance work done on the two right side doors, so I guess it is not carfax clean. Thank you very much.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,555
    omygod711 said:

Hi, I am looking for a more realistic the trade in value of my car. I have a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L. Black. 27,000 miles. I would consider it to be in Good condition but theres a few minor bumper marks from parking on the street every day. There's also insurance work done on the two right side doors, so I guess it is not carfax clean. Thank you very much.

What location?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Okay, thank you, let me make sure I am following. So the Optima is a 2015 with 13k on it. Mazda3 is a 2018 sedan (should have said that, sorry!) with 8k on it. You did a comparison based on older model years to see what the values are like today, finding that the Mazda has held its value better.

Based on this, the Mazda3 is what I should look to get into. I am surprised that you mentioned they are valued around the same at auction given that the Optima SXL starts out so expensive.

It also costs about 400 more per year to insure the 2015 Optima, and would not include mechanical coverage. Since the Mazda3 is CPO, it is covered.
    edited July 2018
    BTW, what I REALLY want is a new Stinger but I just cannot find a good deal on one anyhere. My thought was perhaps I get one of these (current lease is up) and then try to trade in once the Stinger has some CPOs out there. I hope that thought process makes sense.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    @chkgnmbrs221 Generally speaking. higher trimmed/more expensive vehicles tend to depreciate faster and on a steeper curve than less expensive and lower trimmed versions. There are of course exceptions to the rule, but that is generally the case.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    @Michaell I am located in Brooklyn, NY. But I am shopping in Long Island, NY. Not sure if that matters. Thanks
    omygod711 said:

stick or cvt?

edited July 2018
    @nyccarguy It is CVT. Also, NO Honda sensing. Thank you
    edited July 2018
    tough for me to judge it from afar. Back to the wall, I'll put it at $17k. Could be lower, could be higher, depending on how they feel about the paintwork.

Can’t get stick on an EXL. or I might have one.

qbrozen said:

tough for me to judge it from afar. Back to the wall, I'll put it at $17k. Could be lower, could be higher, depending on how they feel about the paintwork.

Thank you very much.
    That's actually pretty in line with the estimate I get from Edmunds and KBB.
    From your experience, about how much you think the trade in value will drop in another 6-8 months? I will probably put another 10K mile into the car.
    I am pretty set to trade it in for a crossover but not sure if it is better to do it now or later where the trade in value will be lower but I might get better deal on the new car.
    $2k-$2500

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    Hi!
    Looking for trade in values on two vehicles:

2007 Saturn Sky Redline, manual transmission, black/black, 30k miles. Leather, Upstate NY area. Has a small scrape on the front quarter panel, and needs new tires. I'd rate it a 3.5/5.

2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, blue exterior, black interior, 63k miles, xenons, BLIS. I'd rate it a 4/5.

Any opinion if the Sky is something I should try to sell on my own instead of trading in?

Thanks!
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    edited July 2018
    2 cars I wouldn't mind for myself. Well, other than the black interiors. ;)

I 200% support selling the skyline yourself. you have a rare car there that dealers won't want but, if marketed in the right places, you could do far far better on. You might get $7k-$8k from a dealer, if that. My opinion would be to maybe even put that one on BaT with a $9k reserve and hope it approaches $11k. It may go well beyond that for all I know.

$9500-$10k on the Volvo. If you own that outright, I think that could be a good private sale, too. The S60 T6 is not terribly common. Possibly list on swedespeed. Ask $13,995 and see what happens.

• 9onthebreak9onthebreak Member Posts: 7
    Bought a 2014 Toyota Sienna last year for my wife who said I need a minivan, paid $24k for it , it’s the SE version fully loaded , had 38,000 miles and was CPO. Of course a year later she hates it and have only driven it only 7500 miles in the past year, how much is it worth if I trade it in.
    color and location would help.

Bought a 2014 Toyota Sienna last year for my wife who said I need a minivan, paid $24k for it , it’s the SE version fully loaded , had 38,000 miles and was CPO. Of course a year later she hates it and have only driven it only 7500 miles in the past year, how much is it worth if I trade it in.

Why does she hate it? The "image"?

I have a 2016 Town and Country, and I'll admit it's not a lot of fun, but jeez that thing is practical. If something happened to this one, I would have to buy another one.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    I drive a lot of minivans at work, love the new Pacifica, and they all seem to drive real well. A bit too big for my tastes but they rent very easily. Those disappearing middle seats on the Dodge/Chrysler products are very popular.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

we loved ours during the kids growing up days. Had 3 actually. Don't need the space these days though.

I drive a lot of minivans at work, love the new Pacifica, and they all seem to drive real well. A bit too big for my tastes but they rent very easily. Those disappearing middle seats on the Dodge/Chrysler products are very popular.

The Sandman :)B)

My normal configuration is middle row seats down, 3rd row seats up. I tried leaving the 3rd row seats down, but having them up creates a perfect sunken space for grocery bags. And bigger items can go in through the sliding side doors.
    That definitely creates limo legroom for anyone riding in the 3rd row! 
    We had two vans ourselves - kept the Odyssey for 3 years and the Sedona for 2. That in itself demonstrates how incredibly useful they are!

• 9onthebreak9onthebreak Member Posts: 7
    Whoops sorry New Jersey and color is Mica I believe, looks like a brown