Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Make work projects, and keeps the pearl-clutchers happy.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    edited June 2018
    Well, after a few days of this silliness, I'm happy to report that the "windows" are holding up well, even at 75-80 on the freeway. My son is now learning just how nice it is to have tinted windows! :D

I need to get a mirror and strap it on to our stub. We have too much stuff in the car to just run blind on the one side. Right now, only the driver side mirror is functional in that regard.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    @xwesx I'll hand it to you, you know how to road trip! Roll on, my friend...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited June 2018
    We made it home early this morning. Feels good... now to face reality again. :(

Trip totals: 3 windows, 1 mirror, 5,560 miles, 27.56 mpg, and $3.91 per gallon. :D

Some visuals....

Boya Lake Provincial Park (BC)

Butchart Gardens (BC)

Final sunset in Oregon (from lookout on I-84 near the top of Cabbage Hill)

Chief Joseph Dam in Washington

Next to our campsite outside of Dease Lake (BC)

Grizzly family last night, next to Congdon Creek Campground along Kluane Lake (YT)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Needed those nature shots to get over the vehicle stress on this trip! At least one of those bears didn't get into your vehicle (of course, that would have totaled it I suppose).
    That's quite a drive, going to keep the temporary windows as permanent? B)

Sure would be nice to get out on the road away from local "drivers".
    fintail said:

That's quite a drive, going to keep the temporary windows as permanent? B)

Sure would be nice to get out on the road away from local "drivers".

Hah! No; we're working on that now. Estimate from the shop says upwards of $6K in repairs! Yikes. A good chunk of that is due to paint "needs." Passenger front door has damage due to the destruction of the mirror, and the rear quarter has a little scrape (down to metal) on it, which they're saying means they will have to repaint that whole section. Alternative is that I can just put a little touch-up paint on that spot and forego the "return to factory" repair. I'm considering that, since this spot is smaller than a minor door ding. We'll see. I have some touch-up paint, so I'll dab it and see what I think afterward.
    6K? Nah, the touch up route seems more sensible. You bought the car to use it up, right? It lives outside in the Alaskan winters, right? You'll probably mile it up and be rid of it before any paint damage becomes terminal. As I bet the other repairs are a grand or so, that's a big difference. Some primer and paint could be fine.
    xwesx said:

Hah! No; we're working on that now. Estimate from the shop says upwards of $6K in repairs! Yikes. A good chunk of that is due to paint "needs." Passenger front door has damage due to the destruction of the mirror, and the rear quarter has a little scrape (down to metal) on it, which they're saying means they will have to repaint that whole section. Alternative is that I can just put a little touch-up paint on that spot and forego the "return to factory" repair. I'm considering that, since this spot is smaller than a minor door ding. We'll see. I have some touch-up paint, so I'll dab it and see what I think afterward.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If you just plan to keep the Subaru till death do you part. Fix it cheaply. The odds living in FBKS someone would slide into you this winter and you are out that money. Unless of course the dude that caused the damage is paying the bill. His insurance should just send you a check for the repairs. Put in the window and get a mirror and call it money in the bank.
    PS
    Sounds like a fun trip.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Not quite a long road trip but headed to the Jersey shore this weekend.    Enclave managed 24 mpg at a steady 75-80 not too bad. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

That's a nice road trip vehicle!
    berri said:
    I really have to say that the Enclave fits our family well.  It drives nice and quiet and swallows up two car seats as well as supporting my wife’s overpacking well.   Ours is the last of the original generation and lags behind in tech (how can a nearly 50k vehicle not have keyless start available) but otherwise zero complaints.   

tjc78 said:

I really have to say that the Enclave fits our family well.  It drives nice and quiet and swallows up two car seats as well as supporting my wife’s overpacking well.   Ours is the last of the original generation and lags behind in tech (how can a nearly 50k vehicle not have keyless start available) but otherwise zero complaints.   

Trailer hitch plus a cargo tray...! I really love this combination, as it gives quite a bit of extra cargo room with absolutely no impact on fuel economy.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    xwesx said:

tjc78 said:

Trailer hitch plus a cargo tray...! I really love this combination, as it gives quite a bit of extra cargo room with absolutely no impact on fuel economy.
    I saw a large, tough bag on rear of an SUV in Pigeon Forge TN last year. It was maybe 4 x 5 x 1.3 ft and had a holder on it for the license plate. Same theory: holds stuff but doesn't add air resistance. I was impressed after I thought about the idea. Better than a roof box.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited June 2018

I saw a large, tough bag on rear of an SUV in Pigeon Forge TN last year. It was maybe 4 x 5 x 1.3 ft and had a holder on it for the license plate. Same theory: holds stuff but doesn't add air resistance. I was impressed after I thought about the idea. Better than a roof box.

Yes, they work very well! And, if you have a Class III/IV hitch, they will hold some appreciable weight. While I have heavy duty springs on my Forester, it can handle the same load we gave it on this trip even with stock springs, but of course will cause the rear to sag quite a bit. Handling is so much better with the HD springs!

We do have a roof basket and bag, but I have used them rarely since buying the tray. With top unit, our average economy would be about 22.5 on a trip like this. We managed 28.5!
    We do have a roof basket and bag, but I have used them rarely since buying the tray. With top unit, our average economy would be about 22.5 on a trip like this. We managed 28.5!

6 MPG on a long trip through Alaska and Canada is a significant savings. As well as range between gas stops. When and if you sell the Q7, you should test drive the GMC Terrain or Chevy Equinox diesels. 40 MPG is common road trip mileage.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

berri said:

Good question for the Buick management regarding keyless start not being available. Perhaps market research dictated 75 year-olds didn't want push-button start? I know, the average age of a Buick buyer is falling lately.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    gagrice said:

6 MPG on a long trip through Alaska and Canada is a significant savings. As well as range between gas stops. When and if you sell the Q7, you should test drive the GMC Terrain or Chevy Equinox diesels. 40 MPG is common road trip mileage.

I know! Definitely a consideration. My wife is against us getting another "big" vehicle, as she puts it. I'm wavering on vehicle type, but diesel is a commonality among any serious considerations.
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

berri said:

Good question for the Buick management regarding keyless start not being available. Perhaps market research dictated 75 year-olds didn't want push-button start? I know, the average age of a Buick buyer is falling lately.

Has nothing to do with that... our 2012 Lacrosse had it. I’m sure the bean counters at GM didn’t want to invest in adding it to an aging platform. The Tahoe and Yukon were the same way. They didn’t get keyless until the redesign.

Heck our fully loaded 2013 Tahoe LTZ at work doesn’t have Bluetooth connectivity. I’m sure that ticked off many a buyer at that price point.

As far as I know, the G-Wagen through the 2018 model never had keyless-go for locks or start - MB didn't want to try to update the ancient parts and platforms, and apparently the customer base didn't care.

If you're taking a trip to Seattle this summer, be careful in your loud car - but distracted driving, no signal use, dumb lane usage, idiotic U-turns, ignoring crosswalks, etc are all still OK.
    I'm thinking that given all the advances in hacking, maybe a keyless ignition isn't the safest alternative these days?
    fintail said:

As far as I know, the G-Wagen through the 2018 model never had keyless-go for locks or start - MB didn't want to try to update the ancient parts and platforms, and apparently the customer base didn't care.

If you're taking a trip to Seattle this summer, be careful in your loud car - but distracted driving, no signal use, dumb lane usage, idiotic U-turns, ignoring crosswalks, etc are all still OK.

Great to see Seattle's priorities are in order. I guess they didn't get the memo that enforcing more useless laws lessens the enforcement of important and worthwhile laws.

Being June, it is Lane courtesy month!

Some light reading:

https://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5804590/why-you-shouldnt-drive-slowly-in-the-left-lane
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    People going at or below the speed limit in the left lane seems to be a common occurrence nationwide. I blame it on either Eco Nuts that feel they are doing a service keeping traffic moving slower. Or just brain dead drivers. Both should be banned from the highways.
    The noise enforcement seems to be a waste of resources, especially with the subjective component, it will be easily challenged.

The eco nuts aren't the LLCs you'll encounter on road trips here, it seems to be mostly distracted "drivers" and stubborn fuddy duddy types.
    fintail said:

The noise enforcement seems to be a waste of resources, especially with the subjective component, it will be easily challenged.

The eco nuts aren't the LLCs you'll encounter on road trips here, it seems to be mostly distracted "drivers" and stubborn fuddy duddy types.

Yes, it really seems like the 75ft thing is bunk. Most vehicles are audible from that distance (particularly if you have line-of-sight on them).
    Almost like it's a make-work project for enforcers to hang out in a usually calm and scenic area during the summer B)

xwesx said:

Yes, it really seems like the 75ft thing is bunk. Most vehicles are audible from that distance (particularly if you have line-of-sight on them).

Someone that drives the speed limit actually counted how many dawdlers they passed on the left or right going down a West Coast Interstate, and the results are very saddening, which is why I don't count and tabulate my passing driving data.

Down deep, I already knew I passed more people on the right than left, but............ this confirms it scientifically.

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/left-lane-driving-active-passing-not-cruising?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    tjc78 said:

andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

berri said:

Has nothing to do with that... our 2012 Lacrosse had it. I’m sure the bean counters at GM didn’t want to invest in adding it to an aging platform. The Tahoe and Yukon were the same way. They didn’t get keyless until the redesign.

Heck our fully loaded 2013 Tahoe LTZ at work doesn’t have Bluetooth connectivity. I’m sure that ticked off many a buyer at that price point.

The new Regal at the auto show was a big disappointment on the interior. GM seems to get it 80% there and then just gives up on the 20% that really matters.

The dash/interior in the Sonic was nicer than the dash for the Regal.
    Must be lots of people on road trips right now - the roads around Seattle are loaded with out of state plates, and rentals. In a couple weeks I'll be going out to the coast where the biggest issue is a LLC here and there., it'll be nice to get away from the grinding traffic.

fintail said:

Must be lots of people on road trips right now - the roads around Seattle are loaded with out of state plates, and rentals. In a couple weeks I'll be going out to the coast where the biggest issue is a LLC here and there., it'll be nice to get away from the grinding traffic.

What does "going to the coast" mean in the context of the Seattle area? :D
    This time of year, masses of people from the city love to go out to anywhere from about Seabrook south to maybe Tillamook. Seattle is inland! B)
    xwesx said:

What does "going to the coast" mean in the context of the Seattle area? :D

Took a few hour drive today, away from the rat race. 405 was iffy, I5 was a mess, but once away from the interstate, it was calm. Car claimed ~43 mpg, and I was able to cruise at ~10 over once the traffic cleared.

Tacoma was a mess, Olympia was worse than normal, oddly enough, 405 wasn't bad. Saw a few LLCs, including one old fart in a bumper sticker-covered Element who gave me the finger and brights when I passed on the right (others also had to do so). Funny thing, I kept an eye on him, and he exited less than a mile over - had no business being in the left lane to begin with.
    fintail said:

Took a few hour drive today, away from the rat race. 405 was iffy, I5 was a mess, but once away from the interstate, it was calm. Car claimed ~43 mpg, and I was able to cruise at ~10 over once the traffic cleared.

Tacoma was a mess, Olympia was worse than normal, oddly enough, 405 wasn't bad. Saw a few LLCs, including one old fart in a bumper sticker-covered Element who gave me the finger and brights when I passed on the right (others also had to do so). Funny thing, I kept an eye on him, and he exited less than a mile over - had no business being in the left lane to begin with.

Seriously, fin... what were you doing on his road?! You deserved so much more than he gave you.... :D
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

Seriously, fin... what were you doing on his road?! You deserved so much more than he gave you.... :D
    I've found out that sometimes people feel as though if they perceive a hazard up ahead it is their duty to make everyone observe the hazard the same way they would. I just say feel free to react to the hazard any which way you want to, as long as you do so in the right lane.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,018
    Road trip planned for September - Santa Fe for some R&R

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I see that a lot around here - people who brake for a one degree change in road direction. My dad taught me early on that frequent brake tapping is a sign of an inept driver.
    andres3 said:

I've found out that sometimes people feel as though if they perceive a hazard up ahead it is their duty to make everyone observe the hazard the same way they would. I just say feel free to react to the hazard any which way you want to, as long as you do so in the right lane.

Traffic coming back to the rat race yesterday was better than expected, still a few LLCs though. Winner goes to an old guy in a CA plated Camry (likely rental) who was in the left lane, and wanted about a football field between him and the car in front of him. This was an invitation for people to pass on the right, along with middle laners to pass. Whenever anyone ventured into his air space, he'd gesticulate wildly, and you could tell he was yelling. I passed on the right, and he was then going slow enough to drop out of my line of sight within a couple minutes. Some people are made for flying/trains/taxis/rideshares. Also saw a couple speedtraps, but on lesser traveled roads. Safety, think of the children, no way there are any quotas.

This morning I got up early and took the old car in for its yearly service, and was promptly cut off by a bumbling CRV within 5 minutes. I tested the horn numerous times. Something about those cars is a magnet for those who dislike driving and cars both.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    another Boston <-> Rochester MN road trip complete. What a fun visit! Stopped in Maumee for the westbound drive but not for eastbound. diesel cruze performed flawless and mpg was between 52 and 55 depending on speed being closer to 70 or closer to 80. I got old DEXOS2 oil removed, and new DexOS2 oil installed at chevy dealer in Roch. They topped off the DEF too but not for free like Macmulkin Chevy in NH .

I'jm already planning another one of these roadtrips to MN, maybe via San Jose CA next time. #2 grandchild is due to arrive in MN in 6 days so my next roadtrip could be Very Soon. Might take Chevy SS Sedan next time with both sizes of spare tires and zero spare wheels on board.. SS gets 25 mpg cross-country with regular E0 unleaded, as opposed to the 50+ mpg with Chevy Cruze & B0 or B5. In terms of torque surprising/destroying other drivers I think the red diesel cruze is way more STEALTH than the white SS Sedan, which appears unusual and cop-like to other drivers, based on their reaction. (The stealth is very handy to squeeze past the "blockers" who block the left or middle lane so as to optimize their texting experience.)
    edited July 2018
    Sounds like a nice, quick trip! Thanks for the economy report! In the 52-55, are you saying that 52 = 80 and 55 = 70, or was the order respective (e.g., higher economy at the higher speed)?

I have made only one stop in Rochester, to visit a friend who was going through an experimental cancer treatment, a few days after my marriage back in 2000.
    Michaell said:

You may run into STEVER. He hangs around Santa Fe and surrounds, or did. Miss the guy.
    gagrice said:

Michaell said:

You may run into STEVER. He hangs around Santa Fe and surrounds, or did. Miss the guy.
    Actually, he is down in Las Cruces, at the other end of the state.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell said:

gagrice said:

Michaell said:

I know he bought a place and lived in Las Cruces. Thought he wanted to move up North a bit. Ever hear from him. If so tell him I said hi.
    gagrice said:

Michaell said:

gagrice said:

Michaell said:

I know he bought a place and lived in Las Cruces. Thought he wanted to move up North a bit. Ever hear from him. If so tell him I said hi.
    Sorry, haven't heard from him since his retirement.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

This should make all you LLC haters happy.

Death Penalty Still Permissible For People Who Drive Slowly In The Left Lane, Pope Francis Clarifies

https://babylonbee.com/news/death-penalty-still-permissible-for-people-who-drive-slowly-in-the-left-lane-pope-francis-clarifies/
    Oh heck, the Pope proclaims, American Catholics listen piously and then just do what they want anyway B)
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

xwesx, higher mpg at the lower speed, to be sure. :) .

I'm planning another driving circuit of USA before winter... It will include Rochester MN. San Jose California. Maybe meteor crater. Maybe Seattle.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

xwesx, higher mpg at the lower speed, to be sure. :) .

I'm planning another driving circuit of USA before winter... It will include Rochester MN. San Jose California. Maybe meteor crater. Maybe Seattle.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

That sounds like it could be a blast!

And, bummer about that economy vs. speed observation. I was almost excited about your report! :D
    My son and I installed a new dash camera in my wife's Forester yesterday! Install was nice and clean, if not quite challenging due to the amount of trim removal required. My son did the wiring so that the unit operates when the vehicle is off, but with a low cut off switch. We ended up getting a BlackVue DR750S-2CH, along with a "power magic pro" for the added power functionality.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    What does the low cutoff switch do?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,