Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Will an XL-Size Mountain Bike Fit? - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2018 in Tesla

imageWill an XL-Size Mountain Bike Fit? - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2017 Tesla Model 3 sedan had no trouble hauling an extra-large hardtail mountain bike with 29-inch wheels right there in the trunk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    That glass roof is a mistake. Same with the falcon wing doors on the Model X. And wait the 2nd row seats in the Model X don't fold? I didn't realize that. These are all part of a problem that is becoming a trend at Tesla. I'm not getting into the business of predicting their long term prospects but it's not good if they keep cranking out new cars with such obvious mistakes committed in the name of being different. The Model S is a huge success and that is in large part because it doesn't really ask the buyer to make serious compromises. Step out of a luxury sedan and into a Model S and you'll fee right at home. The car can do just about everything you expect. But with the Model X, Model 3 and even the Semi, Tesla is reinventing parts of the vehicle that don't need to be reinvented. Cars and Crossovers should be able to accommodate a roof rack. Crossovers should allow the 2nd row seat to fold...and the doors should be able to open in the snow. Tesla makes great looking, and exciting cars that run on electricity. They don't need to re-think roofs and doors.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited January 2018
    I have a Model 3 reservation of my own, and I'm holding out until I can get one without the "Premium Upgrades" package and the glass roof that's the centerpiece of that option. I'm not sure what that means for the stereo, dash trim, and seats, though. Point is, this glass roof is theoretically an option. And I hate it much less than the X's mandatory weird doors and strange "receding hairline" windshield.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    g_k1g_k1 Member Posts: 14
    My size small 29er fits in the back of my Audi TT-RS with the seats folded down - I've carried bikes like this for years in several cars (with the front wheel removed). I've found it easier to turn the handlebars to the right, then use a cord wrapped around the right bar and top tube to hold them in that position, then slide the bike in handlebars first. That way the left handlebar can extend between the seats, which makes the whole process a bit easier.

Another option is to buy a device that fits in the right rear drop-out that holds the chain in place when the rear wheel is removed, I have versions sold by Cinelli and Salsa. I used this technique to carry my 53cm fixie in the front seat of my Lotus Elise, with both wheels removed and held between the (upside-down) frame and the passenger door (held together with a cord).

I've also carried bikes in my Audi 4000s Quattro upside down in the rear footwell, (rear seat-backs didn't fold), either by removing the front wheel and turning the fork, or loosening the stem and rotating the handlebar (to fit in the footwell. Racks are convenient, but it's nice to lock the bike inside.
  • Options
    israndyisrandy Member Posts: 2
    The roof rack will fit on your Model 3, you can see the slots in your seal around the glass roof. Just poke with something not sharp to see where it goes. To find where you poke just look for the short 1-2 inch break in the seals on both sides of the car. There should be a way to post photos here so I can answer your mistake more clearly