Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Whoops sorry New Jersey and color is Mica I believe, looks like a brown
    $17.5k-$18k

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Hey Oracle. Can you let me know what a reasonable buy price should be on this one, in Upstate NY (Albany)? Looks clean, but steep miles to me. I believe they have it listed at about $24K

https://www.carmax.com/car/15712147

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Looks like it’s gone? 
    My son's friend is looking at it (hence the price check request). I think he put the reserve in on it. When he first emailed me the link it showed a price.

$20k auction value, so figure $23k street price. Of course, you know you'll overpay at carmax.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Whenever I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and looking around at the other cars, I am amazed at the number of Carmax stickers I see. There must be a whole lot of people who want the "no haggle" used car buying experience. At any cost.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    . . . combined with a fair number of people who'd rather sell their used car to Carmax instead of dealing with the flakes that inhabit the other options (dealers & CL).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    henryn said:

Whenever I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and looking around at the other cars, I am amazed at the number of Carmax stickers I see. There must be a whole lot of people who want the "no haggle" used car buying experience. At any cost.

A fantastically searchable inventory on a nicely designed website helps I'm sure. I like browsing their inventory a lot more than others, mainly due to the interface and the quality and consistency of photos.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Yeah, their photos are generally really good and often make it easy to tell exactly which options the cars have. I am disappointed that they apparently no longer recondition their cars to the level they once did. I guess most buyers don't care, but I'd have a lot less issue paying a high retail no-haggle price if I was getting something palpably nicer than what the other local dealers were selling.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    <

. . . combined with a fair number of people who'd rather sell their used car to Carmax instead of dealing with the flakes that inhabit the other options (dealers & CL).

When I bought my last car the difference between dealer trade-in (+ sale tax delta) v. selling to CarMax favored CarMax by something like $800. So yeah, well worth it if you have a decent trade to get their offer.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    corvette said:

Yeah, their photos are generally really good and often make it easy to tell exactly which options the cars have. I am disappointed that they apparently no longer recondition their cars to the level they once did. I guess most buyers don't care, but I'd have a lot less issue paying a high retail no-haggle price if I was getting something palpably nicer than what the other local dealers were selling.

That's what I've noticed, for many years now though. I usually have to deduct at least a thousand from their asking price to make sense of things, and once in a while that ends up being their selling price anyway a month down the road.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    What's auction pricing looking like on 2016 Acura ILX Premium with 20K miles (South Jersey)

Trying to help out a friend. They sent me this link, but I told them this isn't a dealer.

https://njeamemberbenefits.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/19UDE2F73GA002737/2016-acura-ilx/?zipcode=19131#

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited July 2018
    Carvana is a dealer, but I believe online only. Anyway, that's a really fair price, actually, considering the reports of them grossly overpaying for their vehicles. About $17k auction value.

Carvana is weird. They have a big silo looking vending machine where they keep cars. And you order online and have it delivered.

At last ILX is low miles and has the premium package, so decently equipped.

edited July 2018
    https://carvana.com/vendingmachine

They have one of these (not this exact one) right next to the Katy Freeway in Houston. Freaked me out the first time I drove by and saw it.

And on the heat thing, we are predicted to hit 100 degrees here in Houston Friday - Saturday - Sunday.
    OK, Jaguar time. a CPO 2017 XE, 3.5t premium. Gray over black, 26,000 miles. Looks fairly basic. Does have cold weather package and 18" wheels. Moonroof. But does not look like any other goodies (no BLIS or it seems Navi). I think orig MSRP was about $46k.

Outside Boston.

qbrozen said:
    Carvana is a dealer, but I believe online only. Anyway, that's a really fair price, actually, considering the reports of them grossly overpaying for their vehicles. About $17k auction value.
    Thank you 

edited July 2018
    stickguy said:
    OK, Jaguar time. a CPO 2017 XE, 3.5t premium. Gray over black, 26,000 miles. Looks fairly basic. Does have cold weather package and 18" wheels. Moonroof. But does not look like any other goodies (no BLIS or it seems Navi). I think orig MSRP was about $46k. Outside Boston.
    Answered in the other thread, but reposting here.

auction value in the mid $26k range. I'd peg it at $29.5k normal fair retail, so maybe $31k cpo.I don't know what Jag charges their dealers for cpo warranty.

Thanks. Listed at $29,800ish. So looks like a good deal.

I'd be surprised if ex-rental with the bigger engine, BTW

• seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79
    These are for my wife's colleague. The question of "is she sure she really wants a Juke?" has fallen on deaf ears and is a lost cause. So, with that, we have the following, both at the same Nissan dealer in metro Atlanta:

2015 Nissan Juke SL, 2wd, AT (CVT)
    31,xxx miles
    Brilliant silver over Black leather
    It appears to have only the standard SL goodies, which is everything
    Nav, auto climate, surround view camera, hole in the roof
    1 owner, clean Carfax, local Atlanta car, appears to be in average shape for age and miles.

List price is $16,989, which seems like the moon and the stars.

Behind door #2:

2015 Juke SV AWD, AT (CVT)
    33,4xx miles
    Brilliant silver over black cloth
    Tech pack, so it includes nav, surround view camera, Rockford Fosgate sound, auto climate, hold in the roof.
    Clean Carfax, but this one spent it's life in Jersey City, but appears clean and average condition.
    I'm not sure what it adds, but this one is a Nissan CPO car.

List price is $13,869.

What say the masters on both of these? She would prefer the first one but has a hard and fast budget of $15K, so she may be forced into the other.

seank2 said:

These are for my wife's colleague. The question of "is she sure she really wants a Juke?" has fallen on deaf ears and is a lost cause. So, with that, we have the following, both at the same Nissan dealer in metro Atlanta:

2015 Nissan Juke SL, 2wd, AT (CVT)
    31,xxx miles
    Brilliant silver over Black leather
    It appears to have only the standard SL goodies, which is everything
    Nav, auto climate, surround view camera, hole in the roof
    1 owner, clean Carfax, local Atlanta car, appears to be in average shape for age and miles.

List price is $16,989, which seems like the moon and the stars.

Behind door #2:

2015 Juke SV AWD, AT (CVT)
    33,4xx miles
    Brilliant silver over black cloth
    Tech pack, so it includes nav, surround view camera, Rockford Fosgate sound, auto climate, hold in the roof.
    Clean Carfax, but this one spent it's life in Jersey City, but appears clean and average condition.
    I'm not sure what it adds, but this one is a Nissan CPO car.

List price is $13,869.

What say the masters on both of these? She would prefer the first one but has a hard and fast budget of $15K, so she may be forced into the other.

about $14k on the FWD SL and $13k on the AWD SV. So door #2 is a bargain, if clean. Door #1 is more in line with reasonable and fair.

tjc78 said:
    yes, it did. $19,200 on 7/2 in NJ.

Awesome!! Thank you. Big help!

is that a base car? I would insist on a Premium. Especially at that price. Gives you blind spot, XM, better stereo, homelink, and leather instead of vinyl seats.

The description mentions leather and power moonroof. Does that make it a premium?
    moonroof is standard on the base. Leather, I would not trust the ad on that one! Blind Spot or if you could see homelink buttons would be tells.

I just coached them through a lease on a more equipped one.   They were going back and forth and the lease on a new one fit the bill.  

Thanks Q and @Michaell on the leasing side. 

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Always liked the ILX but when I was looking back in 2014, the VW Golf won out. But the ILX is one heck of a nice vehicle and on my short list for next time.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Q, now that the dust has settled and my recent accident is on the CarFax, what is the best I could do on a trade? Did win the diminished value case and getting a total of $2K from the other guys insurance company. My portion after the lawyer's fee and CarFax fee will go a long way in helping make up the low figure I'm expecting. The collision shop did an excellent job of fixing it though and I can not tell anything. Figuring a trained used car guy will see more than I do.

2015 VW Golf SE
    Cornsilk Blue over beige
    All SE goodies
    Leatherette seats, 1/2 power drivers seat
    Moonroof
    XM radio
    41,700 miles
    South Florida area
    Run flat tires with 7/8 tread

Hoping for a bit more than 10K. Drives pretty good to be honest. Doing at least 30 city/37 highway. Keeping it for the mean time but interested in the Honda Insight as a possible replacement. Better mpg's and why wait to buy until after I re-retire again in 2019.
    As always, thanks in advance.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    I’m not familiar with VW - what is a 1/2 power drivers seat?
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    Q, now that the dust has settled and my recent accident is on the CarFax, what is the best I could do on a trade? Did win the diminished value case and getting a total of $2K from the other guys insurance company. My portion after the lawyer's fee and CarFax fee will go a long way in helping make up the low figure I'm expecting. The collision shop did an excellent job of fixing it though and I can not tell anything. Figuring a trained used car guy will see more than I do. 2015 VW Golf SE Cornsilk Blue over beige All SE goodies Leatherette seats, 1/2 power drivers seat Moonroof XM radio 41,700 miles South Florida area Run flat tires with 7/8 tread Hoping for a bit more than 10K. Drives pretty good to be honest. Doing at least 30 city/37 highway. Keeping it for the mean time but interested in the Honda Insight as a possible replacement. Better mpg's and why wait to buy until after I re-retire again in 2019. As always, thanks in advance. The Sandman :)B)
    Do you have a carmax or similar place? Maybe also try vroom and carvana. Tough for me to hit it but I'd give my standard 20% deduct, which would put you at about $8k-$8500. 

the seatback is power operated (recline) but the bottom (fore/aft, height) is manual.

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    stickguy said:
    the seatback is power operated (recline) but the bottom (fore/aft, height) is manual.
    Thanks! That’s interesting. 
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    My Tahoe is the exact opposite. Fore/aft and height are power, lumbar and recline are manual. 
    Have a few CarMax locations near me so will give them a try. Am very interested to see where they peg it at. Looks like brand new when cleaned up and drives straight, the shop they used to do the 4-wheel alignment gave it the best one it's ever had! Betting a good used car guy can spot the repair but I can't. No paint over spray, actually looks brand new after it's washed and waxed!!
    Lawyer's office called today and they got my check. My daughter is bringing it home when she comes in later. Happy about that!! They also framed the inside of my kids new house this week so hopefully drywall will be done by the end of the month. Waiting till then to go up and finally see it as it could be the same area that we're going to buy in. Talked about just building a house this year and sell ours next, then we'd have a place already to move into once we sell current one. That's Plan A and sure they'll be many more before we make a decision. Not even sure we'll choose that same area as the wife likes the Port Charlotte area a lot.

• belwah87belwah87 Member Posts: 23
    I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable or good price would be on a used 2018 bmw X3 xdrive with 500 miles. Dealer says retail price is $57,000. They are asking 48,000, which is a 15.8% discount on the stated retail price. But, the vehicle is truly used (not a demo) with a clean carfax -- titled to an owner in January 2018 and traded back in to the dealer last week. Because it was titled to someone, I assume it's not eligible for a lease deal or new car dealer financing or the various available incentives.

The car has the following options: Driving assistance package, Executive package, Premium package, M sport package, panoramic moonroof, Apple carplay compatible, rear manual side window shades. I'd like all of those options, except possibly the M sport package.

I can pay cash, but would also be willing to finance if the deal was right. If a good price on a loaner is 12-15% off, plus the buyer could get incentives of $1500-$2000, what would be a good price for this used vehicle?

For the asking price of only 16% off on this used vehicle, I think I'd rather go for a loaner for about the same discount and get even more off using the available incentives for a 'new' car.

Also, I plan to ask for the service records of the vehicle before proceeding. I want to know why it was driven so little over 6 months, but definitely have concerns that it's a lemon.

Insights and advice very welcome. I typically buy new, but am intrigued by this vehicle. Thanks.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Sometimes people change their minds on a new car after only a matter of months. It’s crazy, but it happens. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    But you’re approaching it exactly right - figure what a new one (or loaner) would cost given current incentives and then figure what a reasonable discount would be for any mileage and the fact that it has indeed been titled and has had a previous owner. And since the savings over a new one may be slim, make sure you’re not sacrificing anything significant with regard to color and option preferences.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    It might have a clean Carfax, but you need someone experienced to check it out for previous damage. Even @breld actually drives the cars he only keeps for a few months..

And, if it's at a BMW dealer, they should be able to show you the service history of a car they own.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

belwah87 said:
    I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable or good price would be on a used 2018 bmw X3 xdrive with 500 miles. Dealer says retail price is $57,000. They are asking 48,000, which is a 15.8% discount on the stated retail price. But, the vehicle is truly used (not a demo) with a clean carfax -- titled to an owner in January 2018 and traded back in to the dealer last week. Because it was titled to someone, I assume it's not eligible for a lease deal or new car dealer financing or the various available incentives.

The car has the following options: Driving assistance package, Executive package, Premium package, M sport package, panoramic moonroof, Apple carplay compatible, rear manual side window shades. I'd like all of those options, except possibly the M sport package.

I can pay cash, but would also be willing to finance if the deal was right. If a good price on a loaner is 12-15% off, plus the buyer could get incentives of $1500-$2000, what would be a good price for this used vehicle?

For the asking price of only 16% off on this used vehicle, I think I'd rather go for a loaner for about the same discount and get even more off using the available incentives for a 'new' car.

Also, I plan to ask for the service records of the vehicle before proceeding. I want to know why it was driven so little over 6 months, but definitely have concerns that it's a lemon.

Insights and advice very welcome. I typically buy new, but am intrigued by this vehicle. Thanks.
    I need the full model name to determine engine, or you can give me the VIN

Thanks, all. Vin is 5UXTR9C55JLC73922

its the xdrive 30i
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's 2.0L AWD
    Well, autocheck comes back clean but unfortunately there have been zero to come through auction, so I don't have a used value for you.

edited July 2018
    Thanks for checking! Any thoughts on what the trade in value might be?
    KBB says $37,200-$39800, if I’ve optioned it right
    i only use auction values, so I can't take a guess.

kyfdx said:

It might have a clean Carfax, but you need someone experienced to check it out for previous damage. Even @breld actually drives the cars he only keeps for a few months..

And, if it's at a BMW dealer, they should be able to show you the service history of a car they own.

That's a good point about the low miles being a big concern. In fact, someone reported their brand new Audi was at the body shop for 4 months waiting for parts after a wreck. Being brand new probably had something to do with it, but no way of knowing if Audi was lagging, or if it was just body shop ineptitude.

My Audi repairs took about 2 months and and I was on top of the shop weekly hounding them to get done.
    My Golf was in the collision center a good three weeks but a wasted week was due to the adjuster and her lack of decision making. I had to get involved to get things moving and after that, work got done pretty quickly. It was a close call to either total it or just fix it which called for a brand new door. Since VW doesn't make an SEL model for 2018, happy they fixed it.