Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Ford's lease contract explicitly said that if we prepaid the payments and returned it before the lease expired, they would sell it at auction. We would owe the difference between wholesale value and our remaining payoff.

It is important to properly understand the terms of your captive's lease agreements. Every bank has slightly differing terms and they can choose to limit your options as much as they want.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    @qbrozen:
    One more...
    Louisville, KY
    1999 Wrangler Sahara
    5 speed manual,
    118k miles
    Tires/brakes over 75% remaining
    Two year old top
    A/C needs evaporator(probably)- otherwise good to very good condition

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited July 2018
    qbrozen said:

The leasing company requires you carry a certain level of insurance. What they can do about it or how they find out if you lowered it, I have no idea. 

I have had a lien-held vehicle on comprehensive (e.g,. parking) only insurance before. The holder contacted me inquiring about the lack of full coverage, and I just told them it is parked for the winter and I will reinstate full when it is back out on the road. They grumbled about it, but, in the end, just sent me a waiver form that basically said "it's your rear if you're lying to us!" I happily signed and returned it.

Wow; the filter now includes a-r-s-e in the "non-permissable" category. Sensitive bunch we have here! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    kyfdx said:

No.. if you turn in a lease early, you are responsible for the current wholesale market value, and the difference between that and the payoff. Your actual lease payments mean nothing.

Explain this for me, please. What is payoff? Is that the $13,500? So, if wholesale value is $12,500 and payoff is $13,500, then he would only be on the hook for $1K instead of $2,400? Or, would this basically be the $4K we were considering earlier?

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    @qbrozen: One more... Louisville, KY 1999 Wrangler Sahara 5 speed manual, 118k miles Tires/brakes over 75% remaining Two year old top A/C needs evaporator(probably)- otherwise good to very good condition
    Trade with nonworking AC? Maybe $2500. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Ford's lease contract explicitly said that if we prepaid the payments and returned it before the lease expired, they would sell it at auction. We would owe the difference between wholesale value and our remaining payoff.

It is important to properly understand the terms of your captive's lease agreements. Every bank has slightly differing terms and they can choose to limit your options as much as they want.

Well, they can't stop you from parking it in a cave, with the keys inside, and if it's still there at lease end, you return it. The waste on that is of course the mileage remaining, but it seems some leases/banks are incentivizing dust collectors and paper weights.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Well, they can't stop you from parking it in a cave, with the keys inside, and if it's still there at lease end, you return it. The waste on that is of course the mileage remaining, but it seems some leases/banks are incentivizing dust collectors and paper weights.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

No.. if you turn in a lease early, you are responsible for the current wholesale market value, and the difference between that and the payoff. Your actual lease payments mean nothing.

Explain this for me, please. What is payoff? Is that the $13,500? So, if wholesale value is $12,500 and payoff is $13,500, then he would only be on the hook for $1K instead of $2,400? Or, would this basically be the $4K we were considering earlier?

I'm no expert, but my limited understanding was the payoff is what you'd pay had you kept the vehicle for the full duration of the lease:

+Remaining payments
    +Residual (since your buying the car in order to "pay them off" to get rid of it early
    + Fees/charges/return/disposition costs

By keeping the car until lease end, my payoff becomes:

1) remaining payments spread out monthly
    2) No residual unless I want to keep the car, so essentially the residual is my locked-in "trade-in" value, effectively.
    3) Fees/charges/return/disposition costs
    4) Penalties for damage beyond normal wear and tear
    5) over mileage penalty if applicable at .20/mile
    6) insurance and storage costs until lease end

So if you can't get your residual value trading in a car, you might as we'll keep it in a cave until you can trade it back in for residual value? As long as you are not strapped for immediate cash?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    edited July 2018
    @28firefighter,
    That kind of makes sense in that they don't want to sit on the car until the lease is up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited July 2018
    28ff:
    "Ford's lease contract explicitly said that if we prepaid the payments and returned it before the lease expired, they would sell it at auction. We would owe the difference between wholesale value and our remaining payoff. "

exp4:
    "That kind of makes sense in that they don't want to sit on the car until the lease is up. "

That kind of makes NO sense.
    They wouldn't sit on it, they'd do what they'd do anyway, take it to auction or offer it to their dealer network online.
    They'd just do it N months early, one more car out of ten thousands, who cares?

I'll stick with what I said earlier, "anything is possible in contract law."

Seems like I dodged a bullet when I turned my March 1 lease in on September 10th the year before. Never heard peep about it after.

-Mathias
    Changing the subject, what is the wholesale value for this car:

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan S
    80k miles, "blue" -- don't have the exact color.
    Assume decent shape, dunno about tires or anything.
    This is in mid-Michigan.

Thanks!
    There'll be a story to go with this later.

-Mathias
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Generally, the payoff on a lease works just like a car loan. It declines from the adjusted CAP cost down to the residual, along with the payments. The payoff usually doesn't include any monthly finance charges that have yet to occur (which is why it's not residual+payments).

If you are buying your car out of the lease early, or trading it in, then there are likely no penalties levied from the leasing bank. But, if you want to give it back to them for disposal, then you are on the hook for the difference between auction value and payoff.

Not every bank treats it the same way, but your contract is for the lease term. If you want to break it, then you may be penalized. It doesn't have to make sense. It's no different than a penalty for early withdrawal on a bank CD. You want out, the bank uses your problem to make money off of you. It's a time-honored tradition. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

steine13 said:

28ff:
    "Ford's lease contract explicitly said that if we prepaid the payments and returned it before the lease expired, they would sell it at auction. We would owe the difference between wholesale value and our remaining payoff. "

exp4:
    "That kind of makes sense in that they don't want to sit on the car until the lease is up. "

That kind of makes NO sense.
    They wouldn't sit on it, they'd do what they'd do anyway, take it to auction or offer it to their dealer network online.
    They'd just do it N months early, one more car out of ten thousands, who cares?

I'll stick with what I said earlier, "anything is possible in contract law."

Seems like I dodged a bullet when I turned my March 1 lease in on September 10th the year before. Never heard peep about it after.

-Mathias

I agree, it doesn't make sense. If anything the manufacturer gets a car back when it's worth more money AND they get still get all the lease payments. When I worked at BMW I inspected cars that were turned in several months early; BMW FS didn't care as long as the payments had all been made.

My father and his law partner took out open-end leases on a couple of Caprices in the late '70s. The dealer tried to ding Dad's partner claiming his car brought less at auction than it was worth. The dealer was asked for documentation to prove that and we heard nothing more from the dealer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

steine13 said:
    Changing the subject, what is the wholesale value for this car: 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan S 80k miles, "blue" -- don't have the exact color. Assume decent shape, dunno about tires or anything. This is in mid-Michigan. Thanks! There'll be a story to go with this later. -Mathias
    Assuming AWD, about $6k-$6500

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

steine13 said:

Changing the subject, what is the wholesale value for this car:

>>There'll be a story to go with this later.

Assuming AWD, about $6k-$6500
    Thanks, q!

The story is that this gem was bought used by the stepdaughter of a friend of mine.. against advice of counsel, he assures me..

Then they might have not changed the oil for 16k... which isn't good but not in and of itself a huge problem.
    The utter failure occurred when the timing chain jumped a tooth or three and destroyed the top end of the engine. This is apparently a feature with this engine and starts with wear of the cam lobe or the cam follower, I'm hazy on the details... and sloppy maintenance gives just that much more opportunity for excess wear.

Regardless, the 'fix' is a $4k used engine with 20k miles, installed bya trusted indy shop. Plus $1k for the warranty. Gotta have the warranty ;)

Before he goes down that road, they wanted to know what the numbers looked like, hence the valuation request. Of course, the happy couple was underwater on this thing back when it actually ran.

Man if I ever buy a VW again, it'll be a lease or something with the 2.slow.
    Yikes.
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'll pass it along!

-mathias
    [I typed all this out earlier and somehow it got lost. Anyone else having problems? Anyway: ]

qb: Assuming AWD, about $6k-$6500

s13: There'll be a story to go with this later.

Got some text messages last night from an old friend of mine.
    His stepdaughter and husband bought -- against advice of counsel, of course, he knows his stuff -- this '12 Tiguan. Just to make sure it'd get interesting, they didn't change the oil for 16k.

It turns out there is a problem with wear of the cam follower on the cam lobe -- if I got this right -- and it is exacerbated by sloppy maintenance. At any rate, the timing chain jumped a tooth or three and the engine is toast.
    A replacement used engeine with 20k is $4,000. Plus another grand for the warranty. This is at a trusted indie shop, so it's either that or forget it and stop the bleeding. Which I'm betting they were underwater on this thing already back when it ran...

So the $6+ valuation makes it a tough decision. Personally, I'd cut my losses, but I have options. My hunch is they'll be better of paying for the repair. WITH the warranty, the way their luck is running. Andn then hold on for a really long time.

Thanks for the quick reply q, that helps I've passed it along, we'll see what they decide to do..
    Might want to do some investigating. VW extended the warranty on vehicles with the cam follower and resulting damage, I believe. Of course, not changing the oil for 16k might disqualify them if it can be proven.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    kyfdx said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Generally, the payoff on a lease works just like a car loan. It declines from the adjusted CAP cost down to the residual, along with the payments. The payoff usually doesn't include any monthly finance charges that have yet to occur (which is why it's not residual+payments).

If you are buying your car out of the lease early, or trading it in, then there are likely no penalties levied from the leasing bank. But, if you want to give it back to them for disposal, then you are on the hook for the difference between auction value and payoff.

Not every bank treats it the same way, but your contract is for the lease term. If you want to break it, then you may be penalized. It doesn't have to make sense. It's no different than a penalty for early withdrawal on a bank CD. You want out, the bank uses your problem to make money off of you. It's a time-honored tradition. ;)
    Its a excellent question that should be on your list of questions before leasing any vehicle. I know people who have got rid of there lease using sites like........lease Swap almost 2 years early. Bargain hunters who care less about brand are looking for lease owners to eat some of the money. It pays for the lease owner to take a hit to dump vehicle . You should save a couple of thousand in INS. money by dumping a 2 yr lease.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Check it out... My post, the one qb just commented on re the extended warranty...has disappeared. 2nd tome today. And ever.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    steine13 said:

Check it out... My post, the one qb just commented on re the extended warranty...has disappeared. 2nd tome today. And ever.

You need to send a envelope to the Edmunds people to keep in good graces.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

steine13 said:

That's weird.. I'll see what I can dig up on it..

Did you write in disappearing ink?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I haven't 'upgraded' to the new login nonsense, whatever that is. maybe that's it. never happened before, and happened twice today..
    steine13 said:

I haven't 'upgraded' to the new login nonsense, whatever that is. maybe that's it. never happened before, and happened twice today..

No... that hasn't taken effect, yet.

Maybe, it's GDPR. You didn't type in German, did you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nein.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    nyccarguy said:

There are usually two reasons for scarcity in modern used cars. One, there was a high casualty rate or high repair cost; two, few people ordered them when they were new.

I almost bailed on my Prelude at 54K miles when the clutch burnt out and had to be replaced along with the flywheel & thow our bearing to the tune of close to $2,500.

Is your Prelude an SH? If so, replacing that clutch is a [non-permissible content removed]! The guys in our shop hated them!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Now, what did I say?
    edited July 2018
    stickguy said:

Just drive it. One more year won’t kill ya. Put the underwater into the bank to apply to the next car.

One solution is if my Wife will trade me for a year the VW Alltrack for the Kia. This way we don't waste the Kia mileage, give it back in a year, and then both get new cars at the end of the year? I could live with an Alltrack upgrade for a year, it has the very nice Fender audio system. I'd like it a lot more if it had the beige interior instead of black, but she insisted, saying in part the baby would dirty the beige too much. If it had the 2.0T instead of 1.8T I could live with it even longer.
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    edited July 2018
    Q, this little wagon caught my eye to haul the kids around and wanted to ask how the pricing looks. They've had it sitting on their lot for a couple of months now. They state its a CPO but not sure.

2015 328i xdrive sports wagon
    31k miles, white, auto
    bmw dealer is asking 24.9k
    SoCal

link

Thanks
    tijuana19 said:

Q, this little wagon caught my eye to haul the kids around and wanted to ask how the pricing looks. They've had it sitting on their lot for a couple of months now. They state its a CPO but not sure.

31k miles, white, auto
    SoCal

link

Thanks

The base seats are absolutely miserable; I won't own a BMW without sport seats- I owe it to my vertebrae...

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    andres3 said:
    Just drive it. One more year won’t kill ya. Put the underwater into the bank to apply to the next car.
    One solution is if my Wife will trade me for a year the VW Alltrack for the Kia. This way we don't waste the Kia mileage, give it back in a year, and then both get new cars at the end of the year? I could live with an Alltrack upgrade for a year, it has the very nice Fender audio system. I'd like it a lot more if it had the beige interior instead of black, but she insisted, saying in part the baby would dirty the beige too much. If it had the 2.0T instead of 1.8T I could live with it even longer.
    One thing I noticed in Cape Cod last week.  Besides the plethora of Jeeps (which is the official vehicle of The Cape) was the VW All Trak.  I’ve seriously seen 1 or maybe 2 “in the Wild” since it came out.  I must have seen at least 2 dozen of them on the Cape.  Of course outfitted with trunk racks or roof racks... (I know, I’m one to talk).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    I think I've seen two or three last-gen Thunderbirds in the past week since someone asked about them. I never see them otherwise.
    tijuana19 said:
    Q, this little wagon caught my eye to haul the kids around and wanted to ask how the pricing looks. They've had it sitting on their lot for a couple of months now. They state its a CPO but not sure. 2015 328i xdrive sports wagon 31k miles, white, auto bmw dealer is asking 24.9k SoCal link Thanks
    $23k auction value, so seems like quite a good deal.

• tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    qbrozen said:

tijuana19 said:

31k miles, white, auto
    SoCal

link

Thanks

$23k auction value, so seems like quite a good deal.

Thanks Q.
    Roadrunner has a point with the lack of options like sport package, but I guess at the right price I can be flexible.
  • preternaturalpreternatural Member Posts: 61
    Real world trade in/auction value? 

2014 Ford Fusion 1.5L SE
    black ext, tan leather int
    54,900 miles 
    Moonroof, Navi, good condition 

thank you
    Real world trade in/auction value? 

2014 Ford Fusion 1.5L SE
    black ext, tan leather int
    54,900 miles 
    Moonroof, Navi, good condition 

thank you
    About $9k plus or minus a couple hundred depending on location

2 more(sorry!):

1. 2009 Cooper Clubman
    Dark brown/tan interior
    automatic, nav, sport seats, sunroof
    new tires, service up to date
    111,000 miles

2. 2015 GLA 250

trade value?

1. maybe $2k.
    2. $21k-$22k.

qbrozen said:

trade value?

1. maybe $2k.
    2. $21k-$22k.

Thanks; I'm thinking around $25K is a fair retail price for the GLA.

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I'll let you borrow my 2008 Forester for six months, then you can go back to your Kia with a renewed sense of appreciation. :)
    xwesx said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I'll let you borrow my 2008 Forester for six months, then you can go back to your Kia with a renewed sense of appreciation. :)
    The '08 or the'13? :smile:

I should have said one solution my wife might consider doing and is thinking about. Not set in stone she'll do it. I think a lot of it is riding on how much of a guarantee she gets from me for a great car in a year's time.

If I promise "cost is no object" I guarantee she'll do it. :worried:

qbrozen said:

trade value?

1. maybe $2k.
    2. $21k-$22k.

Thanks; I'm thinking around $25K is a fair retail price for the GLA.
    ehhh... probably a little on the low side. Remember, trade values aren't auction values. $25k MIGHT work if it was just a used vehicle. CPO? Asking price is about fair.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Just to compare, local place (good reputation, nice merchandise) has quite a few 2015s with various options, just not CPO, so generally cheaper.

http://www.eimports4less.com/inventory.aspx?_used=true&_make=mercedes-benz&_model=gla&_yearfrom=2015&_yearto=2015

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    I can't believe GLA's have been around since 2015.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Don't do it, RB! Don't buy a Mercedes Rogue. :@
    No turbo in a Rogue. :b

corvette said:

Don't do it, RB! Don't buy a Mercedes Rogue. :@

It's my wife's choice; and better a 7 speed DCT than a CVT- I HATE them...

edited July 2018
    stickguy said:

Just to compare, local place (good reputation, nice merchandise) has quite a few 2015s with various options, just not CPO, so generally cheaper.

http://www.eimports4less.com/inventory.aspx?_used=true&_make=mercedes-benz&_model=gla&_yearfrom=2015&_yearto=2015

The CPO we are looking at is pretty well equipped- bi-xenons, Burmester audio, navigation, AMG wheels, etc.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I had a GLA as a rental back in March and the gas mileage was pretty dismal, and I do mostly highway miles. So bad that after 3 days, I returned it to Enterprise and switched into a more economical vehicle. Nice enough vehicle but sucky mpg's!! Would thing the Clubman would be a bit better here.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I thought the GLA only came with Harmon Kardon as an option, not Burmester. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

I thought the GLA only came with Harmon Kardon as an option, not Burmester. 

I did too- but the build sheet says otherwise...