Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    edited August 2018
    PF_Flyer said:

But HOW the forums look and operate is NOT changing. Just upgrading the login system

Tick...
    Tick...
    Tick...

Should I cut the red wire or the yellow wire?

Cut the yellow wire!

NOOOOO NOT THAT ONE!![BOOM!]

---

Can't wait for tomorrow. If I don't make it through, nice knowing y'all.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, just to clarify - NOTHING is supposed to be happening right now. Your profiles aren't merged and they shouldn't look like they are. There is currently no connection between the Insider login and your forums login, so if you aren't seeing things like screen name, etc., that's how it's supposed to be.

ONLY when we flip the switch, which looks like sometime tomorrow, will you notice a change. So, if it doesn't look like it's working right now, that's because there's been no change. It's only on our testing environment at the moment, and a bunch of us have tested and tested, so we feel confident that when the switch is made, it's not going to be painful.

No need to worry about the email confirmation, either. You're already in the database as a confirmed member - the old database. So, if you don't confirm with Insider, it's not going to create a problem. As long as your Insider email address matches the one you use in forums, you should be merged seamlessly.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Removed a post that was going to do nothing but take us into politics. There are PLENTY of other places online to go into that if you REALLY want to. This is not one of them. Thanks for your consideration and cooperation.

Wow... been a while since i used THAT line...probably way back when we were part of InsideLine....from 2005

edited August 2018
    What Kirstie said :)

I'm stuck in the Time Tunnel...LOL

And then there was CarSpace from 2009 (I still have a hat and golf shirt!)

I still miss Inside Line.

PF_Flyer said:

When I sign in to Insider, it calls me Bob in that Insider page because of the personal info I entered. The switch to a single registration is going to have those same Insider login credentials also work for signing into the forums, where your current forums screenname/profile is what you will be appearing as, no change at all. you'll be ab348, I'll be PF_Flyer, etc.

Legit question: is there a way (or will there be one) that I can change ab348 to something else after the switchover?

ab348 said:

I like InsideLine...I kinda miss doing my Dub Schwartz cartoon from my CarSpace blog, Alternate Route. I still have the original artwork in a folio upstairs. Maybe one of these days I'll scan a few in :)
    edited August 2018
    By 2012, we were "moving" again

I think that was the last one before our current iteration. What's incredible, and what we're very appreciative of, is how many of you have stuck with us for all this time. You are what makes our community, not the software or layout we happen to be using at the time.

I've graduated from being just a host/moderator to being a full time employee over the years, and part of what I do now is to look at the forums analytics to track how we're growing.. Might interest you to know, that because of what you've helped us build here by your participation and sharing your knowledge and expertise, (not to mention being one of the friendliest groups I deal with online), about 1,400 NEW forums members join us every month and that's on a very steady, healthy rate of increase.

We have a LOT of combined automotive knowledge, history and passion in the group here. I for one, applaud you. :)

ab348 said:

PF_Flyer said:

When I sign in to Insider, it calls me Bob in that Insider page because of the personal info I entered. The switch to a single registration is going to have those same Insider login credentials also work for signing into the forums, where your current forums screenname/profile is what you will be appearing as, no change at all. you'll be ab348, I'll be PF_Flyer, etc.

Legit question: is there a way (or will there be one) that I can change ab348 to something else after the switchover?
    I do NOT know that one way or the other.. As we move forward, check again. Changing user names CAN lead to some problems in forums, like people trying to LOOK like someone else and stir the pot. That's just an observation from experience, not an answer, or even a hint at an answer.
    ab348 said:

PF_Flyer said:

But HOW the forums look and operate is NOT changing. Just upgrading the login system

Tick...
    Tick...
    Tick...

Should I cut the red wire or the yellow wire?

Cut the yellow wire!

NOOOOO NOT THAT ONE!![BOOM!]

---

Can't wait for tomorrow. If I don't make it through, nice knowing y'all.
    LOL... I INSTANTLY flashed onto this TV moment after reading that

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    PF_Flyer said:

By 2012, we were "moving" again

I think that was the last one before our current iteration. What's incredible, and what we're very appreciative of, is how many of you have stuck with us for all this time. You are what makes our community, not the software or layout we happen to be using at the time.

I've graduated from being just a host/moderator to being a full time employee over the years, and part of what I do now is to look at the forums analytics to track how we're growing.. Might interest you to know, that because of what you've helped us build here by your participation and sharing your knowledge and expertise, (not to mention being one of the friendliest groups I deal with online), about 1,400 NEW forums members join us every month and that's on a very steady, healthy rate of increase.

We have a LOT of combined automotive knowledge, history and passion in the group here. I for one, applaud you. :)

If they really want to read some of the juiciest liveliest forum conversations they should go back to all posts related to the Big 3 and government bailouts from 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.

Pretty sure you'll have one side claiming GM was either too good or too big to fail, and would never need a bailout like Chrysler did a few decades ago, right up until about when it actually happened late in 2008, to people that saw the writing on the wall for years by then, maybe even earlier than 2006.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I'm confident that this changeover will be as smooth and seamless as all of the previous upgrades at Edmunds.

Hey, we're still standing! Counts for something.
    Oh yea, we had some "moments" for sure.

I have NO desire to revive a discussion of HHO generators...LOL
    I kinda miss the chat sessions too. Maybe this coming auto show season we can coordinate a forums meet up. I did that in Philly one year. Was a blast. The NY show is not far for me as well
    I still shudder when I recall the days of granularity and new discussions for every possible permutation of a topic.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    ab348 said:
    Tick... Tick... Tick... Should I cut the red wire or the yellow wire? Cut the yellow wire! NOOOOO NOT THAT ONE!![BOOM!] --- Can't wait for tomorrow. If I don't make it through, nice knowing y'all.
    Likewise I'm sure. I am already thinking up some smarta** nicknames in case I have to start all over.  B)

Most likely won't happen, but remember what they say about expectations; negative expectations yield negative results while positive expectations yield negative results.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

PF_Flyer said:
    PF_Flyer said:
    Have you tried since we switched the Vanilla?That happened in 2013 if I recall.
    Multiple times, last was this morning.
    Click my name and PM me
    I responded to your message. BTW I just noticed that you look a lot like my nephew.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    PF_Flyer said:

Removed a post that was going to do nothing but take us into politics. There are PLENTY of other places online to go into that if you REALLY want to. This is not one of them. Thanks for your consideration and cooperation.

Just for the record, it wasn't me that posted the political post. :)
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    jmonroe said:

@Mike you are right, you will be OK with the Gold Fish as long as you don't eat any.

Now for your shopping at Publix: it's long been known that grocery stores are good pick up spots but the older lady in your hood poking you on the tush has taken it to a whole new level. There otta be a law to protect you when you go grocery shopping (I remember the umbrella lady). :'(

jmonroe

And asking you to squeeze the peaches and melons!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    Ok, so I signed up to become an Edmunds insider with my current email. Not the email I used to sign into the forums back in the late 1990s.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    sda said:
    @Mike you are right, you will be OK with the Gold Fish as long as you don't eat any. Now for your shopping at Publix: it's long been known that grocery stores are good pick up spots but the older lady in your hood poking you on the tush has taken it to a whole new level. There otta be a law to protect you when you go grocery shopping (I remember the umbrella lady). :'( jmonroe
    Squeezing “fruit” requires some “firmness”.  Not all the “fruit” at Publix can espouse the firmness necessary for squeezing! 

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    so NYC will be the guinea pig to see if his ID remains, and if he gets credit for prior posts!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    "thebean"

Man, whatever happened to nice Canadians? This guy is a tool.

Bad apples can happen anywhere, anytime. Not too many like that guy.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ab348 said:

PF_Flyer said:

Do you want to change it to ab349? Get a promotion.

edited August 2018
    The S450 turns 9 months old on Friday.  It has 6350 miles on the odometer and continues to ride and handle like a brand new car.  This car is by far the very best automobile I have ever driven.  She’s a keeper, to be sure.

At this rate of use, the annual mileage will be under 9000 miles and I have a 12,000 per year lease.  The residual is based on a 3-year old car with 36,000 miles at ease termination.  Mine will have about 26,000 miles which should result in some equity at 36 months - at least that is my hope.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    sda said:

jmonroe said:

@Mike you are right, you will be OK with the Gold Fish as long as you don't eat any.

Now for your shopping at Publix: it's long been known that grocery stores are good pick up spots but the older lady in your hood poking you on the tush has taken it to a whole new level. There otta be a law to protect you when you go grocery shopping (I remember the umbrella lady). :'(

jmonroe

And that's where @Mike blew it. He bailed out to soon. The lady was trying to see if he had good massaging hands before she made up her mind if he was worth taking home. I'm sure after he thought of that, he's still kicking himself. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    stickguy said:

so NYC will be the guinea pig to see if his ID remains, and if he gets credit for prior posts!

Then the two of us with be in the same boat because I didn't think it made sense to start a new account with bogus info. Maybe Edmunds will create a unique forum for @nyccarguy and I so we can talk about the rest of you guys privately.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    ab348 said:

I still shudder when I recall the days of granularity and new discussions for every possible permutation of a topic.

Not to mention the "Hosts" who swept in like the Stasi if a post deviated more than .0000001% off topic, or-Heaven forbid!-linked to a non-Edmunds website.
    I remember one host who had the well-deserved nickname "Bonnie Reich."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I have been here since 98, at least. And don't really remember this. Even though I must have been posting through all the permutations.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    abacomike said:

The S450 turns 9 months old on Friday.  It has 6350 miles on the odometer and continues to ride and handle like a brand new car.  This car is by far the very best automobile I have ever driven.  She’s a keeper, to be sure.

At this rate of use, the annual mileage will be under 9000 miles and I have a 12,000 per year lease.  The residual is based on a 3-year old car with 36,000 miles at ease termination.  Mine will have about 26,000 miles which should result in some equity at 36 months - at least that is my hope.

Not likely - MB has a tendency to inflate the residual values to lower the lease payments.

My Jetta has under 12,000 miles in 2 years of a 3 year lease, and the market value is already under the residual value.

But, nothing wrong with a little hope.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    ab348 said:

I miss the old system where you had a complete list of different discussion boards that you could view. I used to a least lerk on many boards now I only go to C&C because the others are hard to get to.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited August 2018
    abacomike said:

Mileage is worth very little as it relates to trade in value. Our 2013 Passat had 11000 miles after 3 years, got us at most $1000 (10%) extra over a car with average miles. It is worth something, but, in the big scheme of things not much. Makes it more worth it to buy it back at the end of the lease.

Everything that is old is new again. When I was driving yesterday I saw a 2017 Nissan Murano.....I was looking at the backward fin which looks odd;

Reminded me of an old Dodge;

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    abacomike said:

Has it had an oil change?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

ab348 said:

I miss the old system where you had a complete list of different discussion boards that you could view. I used to a least lerk on many boards now I only go to C&C because the others are hard to get to.
    Farmer, what I do, is bookmark anything else want to track. Then when you are logged in, on any thread, just hit “my bookmarks” and see your customized topics list.

Every so often I scroll through the full list of topics under news, etc. and if any are interesting I hit the bookmark symbol. And if I lose interest, I uncheck it.

Has it had an oil change?
    Nope.  89 days until what the service monitor system displays as the first A Service.  I checked with the service manager and he said at the 1-year old date which is in sync with the service reminder.  He further said that with so few miles on the car, the factory oil (Mobil 1 synthetic) is guaranteed for up to 24 months, but Mercedes wants an oil and filter change at 1 year or 10,000 miles, which ever comes first.

The A Service (10,000, 30,000, 50,000 miles or every other year) is more than oil and filter change.  It also includes some HVAC filter changes, brake inspection, top off all fluid levels, at an approximate cost of $400.  It takes about 2 hours to complete.  I belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America so I get a 15% discount on all parts and labor.

The B Service is the expensive one - about $800 and is performed at 20,000, 40,000, 60,000 miles, etc.  That is an all day affair.

MB vehicles are by no means inexpensive to maintain.

2021 Genesis G90

stickguy said:

ab348 said:

Farmer, what I do, is bookmark anything else want to track. Then when you are logged in, on any thread, just hit “my bookmarks” and see your customized topics list.

Every so often I scroll through the full list of topics under news, etc. and if any are interesting I hit the bookmark symbol. And if I lose interest, I uncheck it.

Nice tip stickguy :) Right out of the Helpful Hints book
    stickguy said:

I have been here since 98, at least. And don't really remember this. Even though I must have been posting through all the permutations.

Back then I think you were only posting in the old "Cars I Really Kinda Like" board, which meant almost all your posts were on-topic. :D

edited August 2018
    I filled the tank of the S450 yesterday at Costco.  I paid $305.9 a gallon for PUG.  That price is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than any gas station within 5 miles of where I live.  I thought gasoline prices were dropping but I guess I was wrong.  

Between higher gas prices, higher food prices, etc.  I suspect inflation is increasing even with the rise in interest rates.  I wonder if we’ll see higher prices on imported new cars and SUV’s.  Much is dependent on the price of steel and aluminum as well as pending tariffs on imported cars.  Time will tell.

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2018
    There has been inflation in products from food on for a decade, but it doesn't seem to show much in the indices that the government has organized to document it. A major problem in the food and products chain is the difficulty in getting truck drivers.

Paying more for drivers with the increase in wages, along with the several years now of tighter controls on how long a driver can drive and the pattern of their driving time has increased the need for more drivers. Drivers aren't getting buy with fudging their books like they used to do so they could drive for 20 hours and get the loads there at more profit for them and their trucking company.

I listen to the night radio show when I wake and can't get back to sleep (700, WLW, ATN). That is a show populated by truck drivers calling in to talk about things. The booming economy is letting more of them get more pay, often by switching companies. That means products at the stores will cost more.

Many drivers have gone to specialty trucking--the box trucks and cargo vans that run dedicated routes every day with a definite time schedule and more pay. And they are home and leaving at the same time most days.

I knew it was up, but over $300? Ouch. A 5 grand fillup!

Just yanking your chain mike.

But yeah, it dipped briefly a couple weeks ago, but seems to have more than rebounded.

edited August 2018
    It's 9:35 AM EST. At 12:00 noon the change over will be effected. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Since the change to Vanilla Forums 5 years ago, we haven't had the occasional freeze ups and lockouts that occurred in the previous platforms.

Let's all knock on wood for a seamless rollover.
    Remember email at help@edmunds.com if you have trouble.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    MB prepaid maintenance can be a deal if you find the right offer.
    abacomike said:

I belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America so I get a 15% discount on all parts and labor.

The B Service is the expensive one - about $800 and is performed at 20,000, 40,000, 60,000 miles, etc.  That is an all day affair.

Somehow an Acura dealer can do the same thing for $60.

Many cost of living factors don't appear to make it into any official inflation stats. Housing costs, utilities costs, medical care costs, transportation costs (vehicle, fuel, insurance) etc don't seem to be slowing down or doddering at a ~3% rate as the talking heads want us to believe. Electronics are generally cheaper than ever, travel can be cheap, but I don't buy a new TV or go to Europe once a week. Wages have also been effectively stagnant for many for a long time.
    abacomike said:

I filled the tank of the S450 yesterday at Costco.  I paid $305.9 a gallon for PUG.  That price is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than any gas station within 5 miles of where I live.  I thought gasoline prices were dropping but I guess I was wrong.  

Between higher gas prices, higher food prices, etc.  I suspect inflation is increasing even with the rise in interest rates.  I wonder if we’ll see higher prices on imported new cars and SUV’s.  Much is dependent on the price of steel and aluminum as well as pending tariffs on imported cars.  Time will tell.

My Bluetec is in that same boat. Hilariously high residual - with 9 months left, market value is already under residual, and the depreciation curve is still fairly steep. I suspect there will be at least a 5K difference at the end of the term.

I was told by a few people not long ago that MB doesn't negotiate the residual if you want to buy it out at the end of a lease - but a local sales manager told me they will, we'll see how that goes.
    Michaell said:

Not likely - MB has a tendency to inflate the residual values to lower the lease payments.

My Jetta has under 12,000 miles in 2 years of a 3 year lease, and the market value is already under the residual value.

But, nothing wrong with a little hope.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited August 2018
    abacomike said:

I filled the tank of the S450 yesterday at Costco.  I paid $305.9 a gallon for PUG.  

Wow, that's expensive. $305.9 x 15 gallons gives $4588.5 per tank. I guess yall, So. Florida folks are really wealthy. Hate to see your milk prices... :laughing:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    fintail said:

MB prepaid maintenance can be a deal if you find the right offer.

abacomike said:

I belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America so I get a 15% discount on all parts and labor.

And, we have had folks report that some dealers will add the cost of the pre-paid maintenance to the MSRP, which allows it to be residualized - an even better deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

abacomike said:

You should move three hundred dollars a gallon is way to much. I just filled up for less than 1 percent of that.

I've done that twice - then 2 years of maintenance adds something like $10/month to the terms. Not bad when one looks at the price of a Service B.
    Michaell said:

And, we have had folks report that some dealers will add the cost of the pre-paid maintenance to the MSRP, which allows it to be residualized - an even better deal.