Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    It's weird because it let me in with my existing (old) login and password without making me sign in. I clicked on the Insider link at the top of the page and then it made me sign in with the new password. I think it's only seamless if you never left.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I suspect a couple of spoof accounts here with deceptive user names trying to stir up unrest. ;)

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited August 2018
    I was logged in at the time of the switch, and it did not log you out. You were sort of "grandfathered" for that last session under your old login. Everything functioned, you could post, reply, all the normal stuff. It did the same on my iPad, even AFTER I had signed in with Insider on my laptop. It recognized that I had been signed in. Once I signed out, and when I returned, on every device, the new login system was then operating and I logged back in.

The ONLY different requirement on the new login system is that passwords had to be a minimum of 7 characters instead of the 5 character minimum we used to have.

Correction: the old system only required 3 characters for your PW
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PF_Flyer said:

I was logged in at the time of the switch, and it did not log you out. You were sort of "grandfathered" for that last session under your old login. Everything functioned, you could post, reply, all the normal stuff. It did the same on my iPad, even AFTER I had signed in with Insider on my laptop. It recognized that I had been signed in. Once I signed out, and when I returned, on every device, the new login system was then operating and I logged back in.

The ONLY different requirement on the new login system is that passwords had to be a minimum of 7 characters instead of the 5 character minimum we used to have.

I went to the desktop computer in my office and started up my browser to go to Forums and it brought it up with no need for a login, could post, etc. even though it was a new session. I had to manually click on the Insider link before it made me log in.

And actually, my old password was only 4 characters.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Could you try to log in again - the same way you previously logged in, and got the password message? To my knowledge, that is not a message anywhere in our system.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Test post from my phone with no new password or login. 

Hosts: are you sure this new system is actually doing what you think it is doing?

• Options
    Test post from my iPad, same as with phone, no new password needed.

• Options
    snakeweaslesnakeweasle Member Posts: 3
    Kirstie_H said:
    Could you try to log in again - the same way you previously logged in, and got the password message? To my knowledge, that is not a message anywhere in our system.
    I tried to log on the same way I used to but I get a blank page.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Test post from my iPad, same as with phone, no new password needed.

Maybe they relaxed the standards. Not an easy way for me to check. It *seems* that if you were logged in under the old system and did the "remember me" thing before, you won't have to use the new method until you sign out and try to sign in again.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options

Kirstie_H said:

Snake, I mean the new way - Log out, then click the "Log In or Register" button found on forums.edmunds.com. Then, click "sign in" on the pop up, way down at the bottom of the pop-up. Enter your email address associated with your original account, and the password you chose when registering for Insider with that email. THEN, let me know the exact wording of any error message you get.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    It's odd in that I am currently logged in and posting from 4 devices, 2 that are using the old password and 2 using the new one.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Test post from my phone with no new password or login. 

Hosts: are you sure this new system is actually doing what you think it is doing?

The system is doing what it does correctly. I was not part of the tech development team, so this is just my observation... it's doing things a little different than I thought it would, and kinda nicer... it did NOT just log us out and make us log back in. ALL the computers and devices I had previously used to access the forums where I had the device remember that I was signed in, let me back in, for lack of a better term, "under the old system". I could read, post, reply without having to sign in, just like always. I didn't expect that, again for lack of a better term, "phase out". It DID make me have to think about it for a sec until I decided that since I hadn't logged out, I must have to.

On each device and computer, once I logged out and came back to the forums, the new sign in window popup came up and I signed in with my Insider credentials.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    ab348 said:

It's odd in that I am currently logged in and posting from 4 devices, 2 that are using the old password and 2 using the new one.

Not odd. I experienced EXACTLY the same thing. Once you logout of the "old", your next login will be the new.

This is about the DEVICES more than the system. I assume that at some point, the system is going to stop recognizing "remembered" credentials and take you to the new sign in. But no need to wonder why, just sign out sign in... you've already done it twice :)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Well Snake you did change your user name. Now ends in le instead of el.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    If anyone is experiencing issues that they want/need resolved, PLEASE use help@edmunds.com. It's easier to manage everything in one place rather than checking all over for problems. Thanks! We'll get these sorted out.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    I am trying this as a test post !
  • Options
    Okay, so I have lost all my history. Zero posts.
  • Options
    Dan Hood said:

And who did you used to be on here?

• Options
    Dan Hood said:

Okay, so I have lost all my history. Zero posts.

If anyone is experiencing issues that they want/need resolved, PLEASE use help@edmunds.com. It's easier to manage everything in one place rather than checking all over for problems. Thanks! We'll get these sorted out.
  • Options
    Dan, that is because you are using a DIFFERENT email address than you used for your original Edmunds account. Sign out, then click "sign in" again. This time, choose "sign up" and register with your hotmail address. It will then recognize you as Houdini1.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited August 2018
    I came back after Chick Fil A for lunch and continued on my old logins. Then at 4 pm EST I cleaned and rebooted my old laptop. That means I had to log back in. The log in for the old forums box was rejected by the server.

Then I logged in at the Insider login. Worked fine to get to the Insider page. But when I went to Research|Forums, it took me back to the old log in for the Forums. I was hesitant to sign in again there. I was concerned I'd lose my history.

I went back to Insider. Signed in. Then did sign in at Forums, with the Howdy Stranger log in so familiar.

It worked. I have my post count and all else.

Strange that I had to log in at two places. Not what I expected.

This is working for me.

We'll see if I have to log in twice when I log back in on the next device.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited August 2018
    Hmm. I'm logged in. I can see the "My Insider" tab at the top. I haven't needed to log in for a long while, so I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and just let it ride!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Imidazol, thanks for that. I'll check out the same path you took and see if I get the same result. It's possible that something was missed along the way. As long as you start in forums, you should be fine, so at least you can get in and have history.

xwesx - those who are having issues used a different email to sign up for Insider than they used for their forums profiles. The system has no way to match them. But, no sense in logging out if you don't have to!

UPDATE: Same experience, Imidazol. I'll find out whether that's intentional or accidental. May be intentional as there's not a lot of crossover right now between Insider users and forums users.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I use my iPhone 97% of the time when I log on to the Forums and read posts or submit posts.  For the first time I’ve been online today at Edmunds.com, I was alerted that I had to sign in or register.  So I signed in clicking on the option showing I already had an account and entered my email address and my password.  It worked flawlessly.

When I get around to it later, I will try logging on using my PC.  But the log in process for my iPhone was smooth and uneventful.  ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    now if Driver and Isell can do it, should be set!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Just signed in using my PC. It seems that I did not have to sign in or log in - the site seems to have recognized my computer and immediately posted, "Hi Michael" after I clicked on my insider. Log in was swift and effortless.

Kudos to all the mods and Kirstie. I hope those of us having difficulties will soon be up to speed. It is obvious that PF_Flyer and Kirstie are right on top of things based on their almost immediate responses to posters having problems.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348 said:

Dan Hood said:

houdini1--Now I have been fully exposed !!
  • Options
    Thanks for the thanks, Mike. The development team behind this really deserves the praise. We were just the two who tried to provide clear info on how to make it work.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    Dan Hood said:

ab348 said:

Dan Hood said:

Geez, if Houdini cannot escape the clutches of the system we may all be in trouble!

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Kirstie_H said:
    Kirstie_H said:
    Snake, I mean the new way - Log out, then click the "Log In or Register" button found on forums.edmunds.com. Then, click "sign in" on the pop up, way down at the bottom of the pop-up. Enter your email address associated with your original account, and the password you chose when registering for Insider with that email. THEN, let me know the exact wording of any error message you get.
    OK I kept getting that same no account associated with the email message. I tried everything, going to the full site, clearing out my browser history, cookies and everything but nothing worked. Then several hours later Edmund's sent me an email with a link to continue my registration (A big thanks to PF Flyer who got my email changed). So now I am back, but why did it take so long to get that email?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,562
    Dan Hood said:

ab348 said:

Dan Hood said:

If I were you, I'd do it again and become houdini2. Nobody in here is going to believe anything a Hood has to say. Apparently not seamless for you either.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I'm all logged in to this new Edmunds system. Just got an email from Edumds, better go check it. I'm on my Moto g4 now, still need to verify my Edmunds login. 

Too-da-loo!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Dan Hood said:
    Houdini, I am impressed!  To allow the variables in life to expose you to the world as “Dan Hood” is magnanimous!  This feels like a “James Bond” Novel where code names are revealed.   :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Kirstie_H said:
    Kirstie_H said:
    OK I kept getting that same no account associated with the email message. I tried everything, going to the full site, clearing out my browser history, cookies and everything but nothing worked. Then several hours later Edmund's sent me an email with a link to continue my registration (A big thanks to PF Flyer who got my email changed). So now I am back, but why did it take so long to get that email?
    Handsome as ever, snake.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

I came back after Chick Fil A for lunch and continued on my old logins. Then at 4 pm EST I cleaned and rebooted my old laptop. That means I had to log back in. The log in for the old forums box was rejected by the server.

Then I logged in at the Insider login. Worked fine to get to the Insider page. But when I went to Research|Forums, it took me back to the old log in for the Forums. I was hesitant to sign in again there. I was concerned I'd lose my history.

I went back to Insider. Signed in. Then did sign in at Forums, with the Howdy Stranger log in so familiar.

It worked. I have my post count and all else.

Strange that I had to log in at two places. Not what I expected.

This is working for me.

We'll see if I have to log in twice when I log back in on the next device.

Same here.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Yeah, dino11 - I just need to check with our team whether that's deliberate or not. Small issue. Everything else is working. As noted, the only people it's not working for are the people who logged into Insider with a different email address than they used previously for forums.

Snake - not sure why it took so long, but glad you're back as you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    I'm going back to automotive stuff :)

It HAS to stop raining soon because my wipers have been on so much lately that I'm about to change wiper blades that I've only had on for about 6 months

Perhaps I can trade in for an Ark
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    PF_Flyer said:

I'm going back to automotive stuff :)

It HAS to stop raining soon because my wipers have been on so much lately that I'm about to change wiper blades that I've only had on for about 6 months

Perhaps I can trade in for an Ark

Clean windshield with 00 or finer steel wool. Can use SOS pad. Then clean rubber on wiper with ethyl alcohol (vodka will serve) which you may have as denatured for painting, etc..

Removes the grit like clay bars on the paint and refreshes the rubber.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,562
    abacomike said:

Kirstie_H said:

Kirstie_H said:

Handsome as ever, snake.

Well I'm not. Still sunburned but that started before the switch over. If I used my old email, that was also wrong eventhough I tried to change it many times over the years, I would not have recevied the confirmation email with the link to complete my Insider Account. This new monster has not been close to what it was supposed to be, at least not for me, but I'm not the least bit surprised. The reverse would have surprised me.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:
    Kirstie_H said:
    Kirstie_H said:
    Handsome as ever, snake.
    Well I'm not. Still sunburned but that started before the switch over. If I used my old email, that was also wrong eventhough I tried to change it many times over the years, I would not have recevied the confirmation email with the link to complete my Insider Account. This new monster has not been close to what it was supposed to be, at least not for me, but I'm not the least bit surprised. The reverse would have surprised me. jmonroe
    Perhaps PF_Flyer or Kirstie can help you out jmonroe.  I need to have you happy and spunky again - mods please help jmonroe with this! 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

If I used my old email, that was also wrong eventhough I tried to change it many times over the years, I would not have recevied the confirmation email with the link to complete my Insider Account. This new monster has not been close to what it was supposed to be, at least not for me, but I'm not the least bit surprised. The reverse would have surprised me.

jmonroe

It's odd that you couldn't change your old email address. A couple of years ago I wandered into the "Profile" section here in the forums and saw that the defunct email address I had used years before to sign up here was still listed. But it was an editable field, so I changed it to my new email address and it took it. The next time I had to log in to the forums I entered that along with my old original password and all was well.

What happens here for you when you go into the profile section and try to edit that old email address?

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Good thing you did it when you did AB, otherwise we might have to charge you a tariff B)
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    jmonroe1 said:

Well, everything was fine, even made a post to @28firefighter, then I logged out and the shi* hit the fan. Couldn't get back in because it said my password was being used by someone else so I had to change it. I'm now a newbie (@jmonroe1) and I ain't got no stinking badges. :'(

Seamless, yeah, right. :@ :@

jmonroe

Ha ha...JMonroe has to start over. :p

Oh wait, I haven't gone out yet!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguy said:

now if Driver and Isell can do it, should be set!

I haven't done it yet. I am afraid to go out and try to get back in.

• Options
    I think I did it....went out and got in with new password.
    Hope I don't get a red face that looks like a pancake like JMonroe.

• Options
    berri said:

Good thing you did it when you did AB, otherwise we might have to charge you a tariff B)

Exactly the same reason I stocked up on some good bourbon last month. I noticed in the store yesterday it is now $6 a bottle more. :(

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    abacomike said:

Dan Hood said:

ab348 said:

Dan Hood said:

Houdini, I am impressed!  To allow the variables in life to expose you to the world as “Dan Hood” is magnanimous!  This feels like a “James Bond” Novel where code names are revealed.   :D

Wait, does that mean when I log out and log back in my actual name will appear instead of oldfarmer50? That would be a real invasion of privacy for those who wish to remain anonymous.

Hope I'm misunderstanding.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    the avatars actually are not part of Edmunds. That is a separate deal, I believe through gravatar.com (which is connected to Wordpress it seems). They are tied to your email address, and if you have one set up, and discussion group that uses them will have it appear if the account is tied to the same email.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

If I used my old email, that was also wrong eventhough I tried to change it many times over the years, I would not have recevied the confirmation email with the link to complete my Insider Account. This new monster has not been close to what it was supposed to be, at least not for me, but I'm not the least bit surprised. The reverse would have surprised me.

jmonroe

It's odd that you couldn't change your old email address. A couple of years ago I wandered into the "Profile" section here in the forums and saw that the defunct email address I had used years before to sign up here was still listed. But it was an editable field, so I changed it to my new email address and it took it. The next time I had to log in to the forums I entered that along with my old original password and all was well.

What happens here for you when you go into the profile section and try to edit that old email address?
    For the fun of it I am making this post from my PC before I logged out then back in. So other than my red face mug shot, when I looked at my old profile I see the old (incorrect) email and I still see all my badges along with 330 Like's and 661 LOL's.

Earlier today the problems surfaced when I logged out then back in with my dumb phone. That is when I had to become @jmonroe1, which BTW doesn't even show on the pick list when you enter the @ sign on the old site but I see there is a jmonroe4. Talk about a wannabe, that guy is at the top of that list.

Now to answer your question when I went into the profile section on this new system. I don't see an editable spot for your email now like on the old system but like I have said before I couldn't correct the old incorrect email anyway, so nothing really lost now with no editable email box. All I see is 5 boxes for providing info.

Screen Name
    Vehicle(s) I own
    Vehicle(s) that interest me

I am not going to log out and then back in on my PC until the system glitches and I have to. So, when you see me show up as @jmonroe1 you'll know I am making that post from my dumb phone and when I show up as my old self (@jmonroe), you'll know I am posting from my PC. Clear as mud, right? This place deserves my seamless posting scheme.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl