Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    jmonroe1 said:

Hey, that's what I was thinking about doing. Edmunds doesn't care about a member having a valid email, they just want one. How are they going to get redemption if you keep creating new accounts with bogus emails, passwords and user names? Like an old boss used to say when you try to get someone to fix a system that isn't working and they don't..."keep using it until it breaks". Sounds good to me.

EDIT: I don't expect this post to last very long, so hurry up and read it.

jmonroe

We do care. We now have more sophisticated ways of checking whether an email is valid. Also, as opposed to the previous system, this one won't let you register with a temporary or shared email address (e.g., mailinator), which are preferred by spammers everywhere.

Not sure what your point is. If a person thinks Edmunds is full of incompetent fools, I'd probably not bother being here. FYI, I can fix the problem stated. I just can't do it here because it requires some communication that probably should remain private.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Kirstie_H said:

If a person thinks Edmunds is full of incompetent fools, ....
    OK fess up, who here thinks Edmunds is Congress.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I know I can leave a comment here because it (Edmunds software) gives me a comment box. Just checking. I am having trouble logging in on my desktop, which is a real drag, because that's the preferred method of plopping pics of 4-cyl econocars I love so much. 

I know you guys love 'em too. Right?  :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I kind of prefer my 2 cylinder to my 4 cylinder right now.

Of course that will change once the snow arrives.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    @Kirstie_H / @PF_Flyer - Don't take any of the flack personally. Change can be painful, but you're doing a great job managing it. I deal with varying types of SSO implementations in my professional life and they never go perfectly, but this is definitely one of the better I've seen.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited August 2018
    As to logging in on my desktop, a few posts back Dan Hood was describing what's happening when he tries to log on. Same thing here. 

There's no way to 'reset' things, at least right now, which just sets us back in the circular rat-stepper spinning our wheels some more. I'm just gonna take a step back for a while and do some grocery shopping with Mrs. iluvmysephia1.   ;)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    nyccarguy said:

Ok, so I screwed up. I tried to sign up as an insider under a new email. I got an email confirmation. Then I backtracked and tried to use the old AOL email to sign in that I haven’t looked at in YEARS. It won’t let me. I get the same message as @houdini1. Should I just sign up as a new user with a new email or is there a chance at redemption?

The trick for an old email address that you don't really use anymore is that you need to update your email address first, then do the rest of that stuff. Not that this helps now, but I would think the admins could simply delete the new account and set you back to the old account only.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I have yet needed to log in with the new system so I applaud the seamless change. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I can delete accounts in here, but cannot delete accounts in Insider once they're made. It's not my product so I don't have access to do that. I can try updating individual email accounts in old accounts, but I can't guarantee what name they'll be associated with, at all.

Firefighter - I really don't take things personally. I'd just prefer not to be personally insulted, nor have our extended team members insulted. If there's a problem, I've said multiple times that I am happy to assist via help@edmunds.com, and I'm working with the members who have come there. Sometimes these transitions don't go smoothly, and I recognize that, and we'll do everything we can to make it right.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Kirstie_H said:

I can delete accounts in here, but cannot delete accounts in Insider once they're made. It's not my product so I don't have access to do that. I can try updating individual email accounts in old accounts, but I can't guarantee what name they'll be associated with, at all.

Firefighter - I really don't take things personally. I'd just prefer not to be personally insulted, nor have our extended team members insulted. If there's a problem, I've said multiple times that I am happy to assist via help@edmunds.com, and I'm working with the members who have come there. Sometimes these transitions don't go smoothly, and I recognize that, and we'll do everything we can to make it right.

Totally understood - you guys are doing a great job and agree you don't deserve that kind of behavior.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    Thank-you @Kirstie_H for your help! I'm still nyccarguy, even though I haven't lived in New York City since December 2003.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited August 2018
    One of the hardest things to do is to write something and have it taken as you intended it to be taken.

( I was gonna write more, but figured I shot all the arrows in the "hard to write" quiver) :)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited August 2018
    The problems in the transition seem to be related to inconsistency in the emails that we users had in Insider and the old Forums.

We were given info about the upcoming changes. I went to Insider and found my current email didn't work because my account was under a different email. Signed in as a new account with current Old Forums email, before the merge.

I had noted that first time on my 2005 XP Chrome (orphaned Chrome) signing in after cookies cleaning to speed up the old thing, I had to sign in twice: once for Insider and then once for the new Forums.

Today I rebooted one of my Win10 laptops and I had to sign in to Insider but was then already in the new Forums. Without having to go through a second log in there.

It works.

Thanks to the hosts for their monitoring and helping those who have hit problems. I compare the prep work here by the hosts and the real time help for the problems some are having here to the lack of help on Microsoft products, for instance.

I had problems with Windows 10 last Fall and Winter with the automatic updates that wouldn't install right, but kept trying several times a day requiring reboots for more than 15 minutes as each try processed. The only help there was a questions forums Microsoft operates with Microsoft related folks who have different solutions on how to make the updates work. I had to find the problem myself for my computer by doing clean boots--other folks had different problems causing update failures.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    I apologize for JMonroes behavior mods. You are doing a great job, going above and beyond what you should have to do....treating people with personalized service.
    JMonroe forgot, and thought he was talking to me because I told him his face looked like a red pancake these days.
    Keep up the great work.......we'll fix up JM if he needs help.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited August 2018
    Kirstie and PF Flyer - I want to say that I appreciate everything you're doing to help all of us, and I think you're doing a good job. I just wonder what's causing me problems with my desktop login. I am using the correct e-mail address and password. It spins the waiting circle around, then lands me on the same page Dan Hood gets sent to - asking for our screen name, car we drive, etc. If there was something we could click on on that page that would let us in, we'd be in like Flint!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    nyccarguy said:
    Thank-you @Kirstie_H for your help! I'm still nyccarguy, even though I haven't lived in New York City since December 2003.
    Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker!  Just ask 25% of the people who live in South Florida.  I’m surrounded by them!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

The problems in the transition seem to be related to inconsistency in the emails that we users had in Insider and the old Forums. We were given info about the upcoming changes. I went to Insider and found my current email didn't work because my account was under a different email. Signed in as a new account with current Old Forums email, before the merge. I had noted that first time on my 2005 XP Chrome (orphaned Chrome) signing in after cookies cleaning to speed up the old thing, I had to sign in twice: once for Insider and then once for the new Forums. Today I rebooted one of my Win10 laptops and I had to sign in to Insider but was then already in the new Forums. Without having to go through a second log in there. It works. Thanks to the hosts for their monitoring and helping those who have hit problems. I compare the prep work here by the hosts and the real time help for the problems some are having here to the lack of help on Microsoft products, for instance. I had problems with Windows 10 last Fall and Winter with the automatic updates that wouldn't install right, but kept trying several times a day requiring reboots for more than 15 minutes as each try processed. The only help there was a questions forums Microsoft operates with Microsoft related folks who have different solutions on how to make the updates work. I had to find the problem myself for my computer by doing clean boots--other folks had different problems causing update failures.
    I'll add to the feeling that the hosts did a great job with this transition. I hit a bump on the road but if it wasn't for the hosts I would have hit a big brick wall. 

Great job hosts.

I just wonder what's causing me problems with my desktop login. I am using the correct e-mail address and password. It spins the waiting circle around, then lands me on the same page Dan Hood gets sent to - asking for our screen name, car we drive, etc. If there was something we could click on on that page that would let us in, we'd be in like Flint!

It sounds like you're getting the Insider sign up box for a new account. Was there a link at the very bottom that says if you already have an account click here? I reall seeing something like you're describing as I was muddling through trying to test my email before I signed up for account with the correct, Old Forums email.

Well, my son a grandson are about 45 minutes from landing at FLL.  Will be leaving soon to battle my way to and from the airport as their flight arrives at 4:25 which is rush hour and the Turnpike will be jammed, especially on the return.

I’m taking them right out for dinner - they’ll be starved.  I am not cooking while they are here - I want them to experience good tasting food!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker!  Just ask 25% of the people who live in South Florida.  I’m surrounded by them!  :D

Same with New Jersey. We recently moved to the Gulf area (N. of Tampa) and tell people we moved to Southwest Jersey (or Southwest NY, depending on the day). All good people so far!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Kirstie and PF Flyer - I want to say that I appreciate everything you're doing to help all of us, and I think you're doing a good job. I just wonder what's causing me problems with my desktop login. I am using the correct e-mail address and password. It spins the waiting circle around, then lands me on the same page Dan Hood gets sent to - asking for our screen name, car we drive, etc. If there was something we could click on on that page that would let us in, we'd be in like Flint!

We'll get you sorted out eventually. Dan's getting that because he signed up with a whole new email. Your problem is a mystery so far.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Kirstie_H said:
    Same with New Jersey. We recently moved to the Gulf area (N. of Tampa) and tell people we moved to Southwest Jersey (or Southwest NY, depending on the day). All good people so far!
    Yes - after all, I was born and raised in Queens, New York.  Went to Stuyvesant High School in lower Manhattan and graduated from NYU.  But because I lived in Chicago for 23 years, I don’t have a New York accent like everyone else around me.  You know:

cawfee, cah, New Yawk, Flarida, etc.   :D

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    yes, you do go back to the register box a few times. the "already have an account sign in" link is small type, at the very bottom. That is the magic button.

the real issue seems to be if you get split between 2 different email addresses.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    jmonroe hasn't complained once, jmonroe1 on the other hand... ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    abacomike said:
    Well, my son a grandson are about 45 minutes from landing at FLL.  Will be leaving soon to battle my way to and from the airport as their flight arrives at 4:25 which is rush hour and the Turnpike will be jammed, especially on the return.

I’m taking them right out for dinner - they’ll be starved.  I am not cooking while they are here - I want them to experience good tasting food!  :D
    You want them to experience good tasting food but you're going to take them to IHOP?

Took the plunge and signed out of the 'old' way.
    Had to sign in in 2 different places to get back here, but it worked.

You want them to experience good tasting food but you're going to take them to IHOP?

They changed their name to IHOB.

they changed it back. But probably makes more sense to use B if they are going for dinner.

I consider IHOP a consistent and safe go-to in a bind. Definitely not in the regular rotation.
    They changed their name to IHOB.
    They need another letter there at the end, maybe an "O".

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426

Took the plunge and signed out of the 'old' way.
    Had to sign in in 2 different places to get back here, but it worked.

So we've reached our quota of CT residents. Welcome back @explorerx4

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    driver100 said:

I apologize for JMonroes behavior mods. You are doing a great job, going above and beyond what you should have to do....treating people with personalized service.
    JMonroe forgot, and thought he was talking to me because I told him his face looked like a red pancake these days.

Why do you think you have the right to apologize for me? If I want your help, I'll ask for it and when I want help from Edmunds, I'll ask them and I'll do that when I feel like it. Right now I'm having too much fun.

You're going to have to find a better way to get your post count up.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    that sounds like the real deal JMonroe.

abacomike said:

Where you going....IHOP or is that for tomorrow?

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Why do you think you have the right to apologize for me? If I want your help, I'll ask for it and when I want help from Edmunds, I'll ask them and I'll do that when I feel like it. Right now I'm having too much fun.

You're going to have to find a better way to get your post count up.

jmonroe
    I think JMonroe1 is even grumpier than the original.
    The good thing is his posts are a lot shorter ;)
    JMonroe1 is a bit more of a whiner.

I think I am signed in because I am getting all these emails about how to buy cars etc.
    Btw....there are lots of guys helping out with good tips too, like imid stick, ab etc. That helped me.
    Could one of you write up very simple instructions for JMonroe! and the original to follow.....he needs the "Foolproof Version".

Hey, we are now Insiders....JMonroe is on the Outside looking in :@

I kind of like this harder edged jmonroe1 as a contrast to the soft and cuddly jmonroe. :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I'm switching my stuff over from my work e-mail (with its bulletproof firewall(s)) to my home e-mail, given my recent retirement. Now I'm signed into this new account thing with my home e-mail, while everything I did previously was with the work e-mail. Should be interesting.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    @nyccarguy,
    Edmunds know they need us in this forum! B)
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

I'm switching my stuff over from my work e-mail (with its bulletproof firewall(s)) to my home e-mail, given my recent retirement. Now I'm signed into this new account thing with my home e-mail, while everything I did previously was with the work e-mail. Should be interesting.

Welcome to the retirement life. Now your first order of business is to see if Edmunds is going to screw you up with this new thingy they have to get a handle on.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: posted from my PC that recognizes the original jmonroe

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Well jmonroe, you better get with it, otherwise you could end up like Commander Decker.

Matt Decker: [distraught] They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is, right out of Hell. I saw it!

Capt. Kirk: Matt, where's your crew?

Matt Decker: On the third planet.

Capt. Kirk: There IS no third planet!

Matt Decker: [anguished] Don't you think I know that? There was, but not anymore! They called me; they BEGGED me for help, four hundred of them! I couldn't... I-I couldn't...

[begins sobbing]
    edited August 2018
    I like the Marco post about the ten million Mustangs.

I owned two of them relatively early on in that ten million. I had a 1967 and 1970.

Whoops. I owned 3 of them. I also had a 1979 Pace Car that I won.

edited August 2018
    Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps.

"In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms.
    https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

I kind of like this harder edged jmonroe1 as a contrast to the soft and cuddly jmonroe. :)

I don't think I ever met that guy. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited August 2018
    ab348 said:

I don't think I ever met that guy. :p
    He hasn't posted here much yet, so we haven't had a chance to get a feel for his thinking. Only 8 posts.

edited August 2018
    My first Mustang was an 86 GT manual 5 speed hatch. It was fun, but I only kept it for about a year and half.
    When I traded it in 1988, there was still a backlash on the styling that started in 87.
    Just about 27 years ago, we bought a 1991 GT convertible.
    It's Oxford White with black top and interior. I'm going to drive it to tomorrow.
    It still looks great and I think it has less that 42k on it.
    Picture taken in the driveway a couple of years ago.

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Explore like the car, can see every detail as you know like the shape of it. 
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    That new guy may be a Ruskie infiltrator :D
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    So you all can get laugh on me.... we are in Baltimore for an event for the wife’s line of work.  The actual event takes place at a Villa right on the harbor outside of the city.  

So.... last night they got hammered with rain.   Only place to park about 1000 cars is on the grass. Cars were getting stuck left and right.  

I parked just fine, and thought I had a nice easy line to concrete to get out.  That of course changed as they stacked more and more people in. 

We go to leave and I go for it.  All was good until someone flew out in the next row and I had to stop in a deep rut left by someone else.   It was over the Enclave was stuck and sinking.   They had a guy there pulling everyone out .... for $40.  Car is covered in mud, valet guy at the hotel was like what the heck happened.    Oh well... I’ll follow up this post tomoorow with a pic 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve