Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    The odd thing about my situation is that I am logged into the other parts of Edmunds as it greets me in the top right corner of the screen with my name, but it won't let me into the forums.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    When I read about yet another change I just figured my Edmunds days were over considering what happened lat time. I will be forever in debt to Karen who got me through this and assigned me a new password which, of course isn't good any longer.

But....alas...I did my best to follow the instructions and I'm back in with a shiny new password. About 20 years ago when they made a MAJOR change lost all of my seniority including a week of vacation pay and any vesting that I had at the time....GONE! I don't think I could go through that again. Oh, the agony!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Well, @isell, if you can make this work, it gives me hope.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,854
    Nice post @Michaell

I learned to drive on several cars.

Mom’s 92 Caravan (base model)
    Stepdad’s 83 Chrysler Eclass (it talked!)
    Pop’s 93 Town Car Cartier
    My 89 Grand Marquis LS

Last car my Dad owned was an 87 Shadow ES Turbo two door. Black over grey. He passed March of 92 @ 42 years old. Before the Shadow he had an 86 Shelby Charger.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

Nice post @Michaell

My 89 Grand Marquis LS

Last car my Dad owned was an 87 Shadow ES Turbo two door. Black over grey. He passed March of 92 @ 42 years old. Before the Shadow he had an 86 Shelby Charger.

Wow, way too young. That must have been so hard on you.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I mostly learned to drive on the family Volvo. a 1969 144 4 speed. A few drives in the HS driver's ed downsized Caprice. and some time in a neighbor's super beetle 4 speed. Oh, and my Grandmother's VW 412 wagon. that was an Automatic. And the most evil car I ever drove.

You can see why I am not fond of American land yachts!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2018

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

ab348 said:

The odd thing about my situation is that I am logged into the other parts of Edmunds as it greets me in the top right corner of the screen with my name, but it won't let me into the forums.

Did you get a welcome email to the address under which you registered with Insider?

In my case, I'd do a cookie cleaning using a couple of programs I have, then start over logging in. I'd have to log back into Insider. And I think one time I had to log back into Forums, but another time I didn't have to log into forums.

I use the cookie et al cleaners because a couple of sites I visit limit how many free stories you can view. Clearing everything takes away however they keep a record of my visits, so I start with a clean slate after a couple of days.

edited August 2018
    ab348 said:

Writing this on my iPad because I am suddenly locked out of here on my PC where I registered and had no problem posting until just now. It auto-fills my correct email and new password but returns "email authentication fails" when I try to log in. What the H*** is going on?

Another possibility is that the auto-fill is not putting in the password you want. I've had that trouble with a Malibu forum I frequent.

Another technique might be to log in using another browser. I have Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on this computer. So I can switch to another one if there's a problem in Chrome, e.g..

It is the correct password because I cleared it after the first rejection and entered it manually. And besides, it logged me in as an "Insider".

I only use Firefox so I am not changing just for here.

The original re-registration last week worked fine, with the welcome email requesting confirmation, which also worked when I responded to it.

Something is very messed up here. It was working until mid-afternoon when I left the house for a while, and when I returned it wanted me to log into the forums and it would not work.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    That makes four of us regulars on here having a problem with at least one of our devices logging in to the New World Order Edmunds. For me, I log in fine using my Android Motorola Moto g4 smartphone. My problem is logging on with my HP Desktop computer.

I can get to the Insider page on my desktop, enter on in, so I am using my correct u/n and password to get in. I can go in to my Dashboard and everything. Then, OK, I want ta go to 'Cars and Conversations' to begin reading and the system loses track of me completely. I try to look for it by going to Auto Forums at the bottom of the page and no dice. It says please log in to comment. Huh? Whassup with this?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited August 2018

tjc78 I learned to drive on several cars.

My 89 Grand Marquis LS

He must have been a slow learner.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited August 2018
    stick, I just tried again on my desktop. My email was already on the sheet and I entered my new Edmunds password that I had reset today. It logs me in but then goes again to a page that asks for my username and type of car I drive, etc. It forgets who I am and won't let me access the forums to make a comment. It does let me read the forum material.

Does it know who I am? :'(

driver100 said:

tjc78 I learned to drive on several cars.

My 89 Grand Marquis LS

He must have been a slow learner.
    Ha ha... that was the family’s fleet at the time. I drove them all!

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

Nice post @Michaell

My 89 Grand Marquis LS

Wow, way too young. That must have been so hard on you.
    Yes it was. The big C got him. Can’t believe that just I just turned 40, and already battled it once too. Changes the way you look at things, that’s for sure.

ab348 said:

It is the correct password because I cleared it after the first rejection and entered it manually. And besides, it logged me in as an "Insider".

I only use Firefox so I am not changing just for here.

The suggestion to try one of the other browsers was for the purpose of diagnosis and was to be only for a temporary period.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Did you get a welcome email to the address under which you registered with Insider? In my case, I'd do a cookie cleaning using a couple of programs I have, then start over logging in. I'd have to log back into Insider. And I think one time I had to log back into Forums, but another time I didn't have to log into forums. I use the cookie et al cleaners because a couple of sites I visit limit how many free stories you can view. Clearing everything takes away however they keep a record of my visits, so I start with a clean slate after a couple of days.
    For those sites you want to routinely clear the cookies have you tried using your browsers private browsing setting? I think IE calls it Inprivate browsing and Google calls it Incognito. With those your history and any cookies for that session gets wiped when you close that window. 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited August 2018
    I am now back in on my laptop. Not totally sure how but one thing is a possibility.

When I went to return here yesterday afternoon I used the same way of getting here that I always did: a bookmark in my browser that took me to the Forums "My Bookmarks" page of discussions. Instead it brought me to the old Forums login page, and when I entered my email and password I got the error message that rejected my login.

It seems to me that with the switchover we should never see that old Forums login page again. It doesn't make any sense that we should. So however that came up must have been the problem.

I was scrambling around after that trying different ways to get myself logged back in. I finally used the Edmunds site map to get here and that time it let me in. No idea why.

Seems there are still a few potholes in the seamless road to the forums.

Bookmarks can do that if they are going to effectively dead links. Cookies can get confused too.

So yes, deleting old ones then starting at the Edmunds main page is the way to go. Once you are in, should be able to make a new bookmark.

edited August 2018
    stickguy said:

Bookmarks can do that if they are going to effectively dead links. Cookies can get confused too.

So yes, deleting old ones then starting at the Edmunds main page is the way to go. Once you are in, should be able to make a new bookmark.

The ability to start with a clean entry where Insider would request a sign in was why I suggested using a different browser. If that worked okay then the old browser needed something cleaned out or refreshed.

I cleared cookies this morning on my Chrome /XP old laptop with Cleanup! and CCleaner. When I went to chrome, it acted as if it wanted to log in to Edmunds. But I got a strange URL filler. I then went to Edmunds.com, and signed into Insider. When I went back to Chrome and the Forums, I was already logged into the Forums.

All perfectly normal. What I would expect to happen, except that after an earlier cleaning, I had to log into Forums after logging into Insider.

My Android phone, about 4 years old, still loads Edmunds jsut fine despite reboots after I've turned phone completely off. Probably someday when I clear the history, I'll have to log in properly.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Can't log on with my desktop. Meanwhile, I'm humoring myself with these comics

stickguy said:

My issue is that something seemed to change yesterday afternoon since that bookmark worked fine from after the switchover Wednesday until then. What changed, I do not know.

I think I must have signed on OK because I get emails like this a few times a day:

Edmunds is your source for deep knowledge on car-related information. Check out everything you can learn about:

Tire pressure monitoring systems
    Reading your tires
    How much your lost car keys cost
    Changing a flat tire (watch video or read article)
    DIY oil changes (watch video or read article)
    Understanding your car's VIN

Expert info at your fingertips — yet another great thing you get on the inside.
    Your Edmunds Insider team

I am not going to say too much yet though....I still have to get on using my laptop when I go to Florida.

If you have your laptop in CA with you, can you try to get on there?

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Good one, bwia! B)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Well, I'm sad to report the Alltrack has been violated. This one, as I figured, knowing insurance companies, was pinned on me, despite being 95% caused by the other female driver.

I was backing out (game over; Insurance company stops listening at this point). I was going very slow, slower than I usually back out, maybe only 1 MPH (but speed kills :angry: )

I was at least 3/4 of the way out of my spot, well established in the lane, and had just begun to let my guard down looking at the rear view camera screen as I had decided I could back out straight all the way since there was parking lot roadway behind me, and not more parked cars. Normally at that point one would turn sharply to get out of the perpendicular parking spaces. In comes the lady from the side, maybe going as much as 20X faster than me, and boom. My right rear corner is hit, her two right doors are "smashed in starting on the front of the passenger door." How she didn't see me when I was so far backed out is beyond me. I was flabbergasted and dumbfounded. Clearly she was distracted, but won't admit to it further than saying "I didn't see you." She must of been 2 car lengths past me before stopping! She must have not been driving on the right side of the parking lot roadway either to have avoided broadsiding me. Luckily for me, she bascially pushed my car diagonally out of the way an inch or two, so the damage is all localized as minor scuffing to the rear bumper under the taillight assembly, a hairline crack in the taillight, and a tiny scuff above the taillight, with holes and damage to the plastics underneath the painted bumper.

Unfortunately for me, I was in reverse, and backing out, although my motion was near motionless as compared to the Earth. Still, I couldn't honestly say I was stopped, and I knew that was my doom. Sure enough, Geico caved in with little pressure and assessed me blame as I had predicted.

I honestly think the only way to have avoided this type of driver is to have used MORE SPEED. Back out with authority, making the time you are backing out less, and therefore giving fewer seconds to those that will target you like a heat sinking missile while you are vulnerable to insurance "rules of thumb." Had I done that, I either could have avoided her by continuing to back out faster and faster out of her path, or, at least, been hit broadside which would be more her fault as she apparently wins by beating me to the spot (20 MPH vs. 1 MPH), I was a sitting duck!

Unbelievable she ruins my streak of no-at-fault accidents in a parking lot where I was moving at a slow 1 MPH and nothing was behind me, until there was of course. Plain 7:30 PM dusk; still plenty of light out; no need for headlights yet. Wish I would have got a picture of her car, much more damaged along both doors she must have dragged around my rear corner.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I'm just curious, is anything ever your fault?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited August 2018
    Grrr.... You'd think if you backed straight into someone's side you'd have damage all across the back end, and not just on the corner rear side.... again I come back to thinking being self-insured would be better, if only to stand up for myself against the other insurance company rather than lay down like Geico did.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Absolutely. I take blame when blame is due. Like when I was a teenager and rear-ended somebody at about 5 MPH; thankfully there was no visible damage. My car had a damaged license plate and that's about it. I suppose the license plate frame showed plastic stress "coloring" from being compressed.

I'm still thinking the photos show more of a "side" impact than they do my rear going into her. The damage clearly shows fast motion from the right to the left. Not from being compressed inward.
    edited August 2018

According to Geico, this one was, as it apparently serves my interests to just accept 100% liability so that they don't come after me for "more." I don't think I'm buying what Geico was selling there in telling me that, but that's what they said.

My belief is that accepting 100% liability for small claims following generic rules of thumb serves only insurance company interests, as it keeps them from having to do any real investigative work in assessing fault. Insurance companies give each other the same courtesy, so it balances out for them, while assessing far more blame to driver's that don't deserve it, at the same time as assigning far less blame to those that do deserve blame, but receive none.

I'm not referring to my own case with this statement. I've seen this repeatedly from other claims I've heard about or seen, as well as my own from decades past.

I really need to get a dash cam, front and rear, but I'm afraid without left and right cams, they'd of been useless in my most current situation.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Dashcams (front and rear), and always back into spots whenever possible. I see so many witless idiots zooming around parking lots like they are normal roads.
    edited August 2018
    Your damage looks so small compared to "crushing her two doors in". Weird how those things go.

Your damage looks so small compared to "crushing her two doors in". Weird how those things go.

I was shocked when I saw her 2012 or 2013 Civic's damage! After seeing my Alltrack's damage, I was NOT expecting what I saw on her Civic. It's almost as if her Civic hinged on my right rear corner. Now were not talking doors popping open or unusable/inoperable (I don't think). Just sheet metal damage from front to back.
    fintail said:

Dashcams (front and rear), and always back into spots whenever possible. I see so many witless idiots zooming around parking lots like they are normal roads.

Maybe a Google 360 Degree cam is needed. She couldn't have been in my rear frame for more than a split second flash as she whizzed by me. I suppose in a major case you could pull frames of video per second to assess her speed. She couldn't have made more than a few frames of video even in the wide angle lens such as that of the car's own camera (but no video) view.

But as we all know, I'm not into blaming speed, I just think she wasn't looking. How do you not see a white car with rear reverse lights, and rear brake lights on? My foot was most definitely on the brake, not because I saw her about to be flying into me, but because I was backing up slowly with a DSG auto transmission at idle. Without brakes, you'd back up much faster than I did.
    andres3 said:
    Absolutely. I take blame when blame is due. Like when I was a teenager and rear-ended somebody at about 5 MPH; thankfully there was no visible damage. My car had a damaged license plate and that's about it. I suppose the license plate frame showed plastic stress "coloring" from being compressed. I'm still thinking the photos show more of a "side" impact than they do my rear going into her. The damage clearly shows fast motion from the right to the left. Not from being compressed inward.
    By the description of the damage to her vehicle she had to be behind you or just almost so when you started backing out. Otherwise how would you have damaged her car doors. If you were at least 3/4ths of the way out and she came by and hit you her damage would have been far more towards the front. based on where you say her damage was I would tend to believe your insurance company did the right thing.

edited August 2018
    fintail said:

OK, so I'm trying to avoid this ever happening again, and the idea of backing into spots did come up. I do fail to see how it helps much, as with both methods, you are backing either out of or into a space at least once.

Only an empty parking lot where you can pull froward into the space in the adjacent lane that your facing forward improves this. I suppose your backing INTO a space rather than OUT Of one, but the mere act of backing up makes you vulnerable to being deemed at-fault should anyone ram into you. I want to avoid reverse gear.

My father was recently hit by a Toyota driver while he was reversing and parallel parking INTO a parking space. The Toyota driver decided he was taking too long apparently, and rammed directly into his front left side that was still sticking out as he was backing into the space. Even in this case, where he was basically rear-ended to the front left side, the mere act of backing up made him 50% at fault according to his insurance company.

He probably should have fought harder, but I understand giving up.
    andres3 said:
    I want to avoid reverse gear. 
    Buy a motorcycle.

Buy a motorcycle.

Ya mean motorsickles don't have reverse gears?  :p

edited August 2018
    Hey, guys, would you think a removal of cookies here on the Edmunds site using my desktop might help me get logged in? Any thoughts or opinions on that? Did it help any of you ta do that?

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    edited August 2018

andres3 said:

Absolutely. I take blame when blame is due. Like when I was a teenager and rear-ended somebody at about 5 MPH; thankfully there was no visible damage. My car had a damaged license plate and that's about it. I suppose the license plate frame showed plastic stress "coloring" from being compressed.

I'm still thinking the photos show more of a "side" impact than they do my rear going into her. The damage clearly shows fast motion from the right to the left. Not from being compressed inward.

By the description of the damage to her vehicle she had to be behind you or just almost so when you started backing out. Otherwise how would you have damaged her car doors. If you were at least 3/4ths of the way out and she came by and hit you her damage would have been far more towards the front. based on where you say her damage was I would tend to believe your insurance company did the right thing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not necessarily. If she didn't see him backing out due to distraction, she could have easily have run into his corner as he was far out of the parking spot. I know we tend to disbelieve @andres3 because of his love of speed, but I'm kind of on his side here, looking at things objectively.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited August 2018
    I'd rather back into a virtually guaranteed to be empty spot rather than a random crapshoot parking lane. It's also a mild test of skill. Pull forward opportunities seem rare, at least in my area. In my workplace garage, there are nearly zero.

Insurance companies aren't charities, they will do what they can to maximize profit, there's little oversight and even less recourse.

I think not looking can parallel with speed - if people looked, they might go slower or not whip around blind corners etc. My dashcams have a fairly wide field of vision. You should look into it, if I lived in your area, I would. I don't see myself ever moving away from having it, both for peace of mind and the chance of catching some wacky weird event.
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

OK, so I'm trying to avoid this ever happening again, and the idea of backing into spots did come up. I do fail to see how it helps much, as with both methods, you are backing either out of or into a space at least once.

Only an empty parking lot where you can pull froward into the space in the adjacent lane that your facing forward improves this. I suppose your backing INTO a space rather than OUT Of one, but the mere act of backing up makes you vulnerable to being deemed at-fault should anyone ram into you. I want to avoid reverse gear.

My father was recently hit by a Toyota driver while he was reversing and parallel parking INTO a parking space. The Toyota driver decided he was taking too long apparently, and rammed directly into his front left side that was still sticking out as he was backing into the space. Even in this case, where he was basically rear-ended to the front left side, the mere act of backing up made him 50% at fault according to his insurance company.

He probably should have fought harder, but I understand giving up.

If you have your laptop in CA with you, can you try to get on there?

No, the laptop is in Florida. I use it there as my main computer. I have my desktop and tablet (for travel and ebooks) in Canada.

edited August 2018
    Sorry to hear about your mishap Andre.
    Most articles on the subject say backing into a space is much safer than trying to back out of a parking space.
    This is one article

Here is a summary.
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    This is the main difference:
    Backing out of a parking space means going out into unknown and changing traffic. A driver’s view is further hindered by the cars parked next to it. The other cars are directly in the driver’s blind spots.

Hey, guys, would you think a removal of cookies here on the Edmunds site using my desktop might help me get logged in? Any thoughts or opinions on that? Did it help any of you ta do that?

I did it somewhat in desperation. I was able to log in afterwards but don't know if that was the reason or if it was something else.

If you are seeing the old forums login page with the "Hello Stranger" message on it, you should not be seeing that so maybe that is related to cookies.

edited August 2018

andres3 said:

It certainly appears that way, but the problem is I hadn't "just started backing out." I was backing out for quite some time already before colliding with her. She was no where near me when I started backing out. Want to do the math on how many feet of distance you cover at 20 MPH (admittedly a guess at her speed) over let's say, 5 seconds? She came from very far away to hit me the way she did. She was not in the proper right lane. I don't think she tried to swerve to avoid me which only leaves two possibilities:

1) She sought out to hit me as I was backing out, and aimed for just behind me.

2) She was in the middle or center left of the two narrow lanes in the parking lot, and not in her proper travel lane. If she was driving on the proper side of the travel lane of the parking lot, she would have hit my doors, instead of vice versa.

3) She was most definitely carrying some speed, I'm pretty sure my guessitimate of 20 is good +/- 5 MPH. At 1 MPH, no one that is parked should be able to hit the front half of the side of your vehicle. That tends to show the coast was not clear IMO. If your back half is hit, that favors the woman. I think insurance companies just look at who was moving and who reached the point of impact first. Since she was going 15 to 20X faster than me, she got there first, but I most definitely had to "pull back in" after getting out of my car, because it was in the way, precisely as I've remembered and described the events.

Unfortunately for me, there were several people nearby, but they did not see what happened, they only looked after hearing the sound of a collision, but they were in the parking lot very close by, too bad! I definitely asked them if they saw what she did because an eye witness would have been helpful.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Rear cross traffic alert.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited August 2018
    driver100 said:

Sorry to hear about your mishap Andre.
    Most articles on the subject say backing into a space is much safer than trying to back out of a parking space.
    This is one article

Here is a summary.
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    This is the main difference:
    Backing out of a parking space means going out into unknown and changing traffic. A driver’s view is further hindered by the cars parked next to it. The other cars are directly in the driver’s blind spots.

I sort of see the logic, just a small benefit I think. Even so, I think I will start doing it, at least a majority of the time.

The problem is in my recent example, the parking lot for the restaurant was shaped sort of like the letter "P"
    I was facing where the loop meets the center of the straight line. I was backing out in a straight line, because the travel lane from the looping portion of the P was behind me, so I could back out for several car lengths if I had wanted to. The coast behind me was indeed clear, I wasn't backing out into the unknown, but I'll have to really watch my sides for much longer now. I won't assume other drivers are idiots, I'll assume I'm invisible I guess.

I see the same vulnerabilities when backing into a space on arrival, until your protected by cars on all sides.

Rear cross traffic alert.

Bingo. I love mine. very helpful, especially when stuck in a small car between big trucks!

And this story is also why I park as far out as possible and hoof it in. That, and to stay far away from shopping carts. plus exercise is good for you!