Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    stickguy said:

nice sounding car Farmer. what does 8% work out to be?

I'm gonna guess around $2400 or so

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    dino001 said:

suydam said:

My CC company sends a text or email. Easier to identify and less likely to scam.

Mine only sends transaction confirmations, or bill announcements and only because I asked them to in my settings. If they have any other communication, they post it on the website itself under mailbox tab.
    I’m very happy that mine alerts me to large purchases. That’s how I found out somebody bought expensive items using a faked CC (I had mine with me) in a town I’ve never even heard of. Denied that one right away and closed the card.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    suydam said:

My CC company sends a text or email. Easier to identify and less likely to scam.

I like that idea. They did call first but I wasn't expecting the call so it took awhile before I could remember the 5 or 6 transactions they were asking about. They offered to text....but, I am not too swift on my cell phone....I know, save the remarks! :@

I did call the 1-800 number on the credit card and I was able to talk to a nice lady who probably lives in India and was a bit hard to understand, but, she was able to help me out.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2018
    dino001 said:

The "IRS People" call me on my home, usually every three months. They usually leave a message with a robovoice.

Odd because most "experts" say the IRS won't call you. They will send a letter first. However, On tax forms, including a 1040x I just filed, they want your phone number... So if they have questions about the 1040x simple change during the 16 weeks they say it can take to process a 1040x are they going to call me? (17 weeks? What are they doing that they can't do a reprocess of a simple individual return.)

When we bought the 2014 Malibu in March of 2014, the first drive we took was to Columbus for lunch with our OSU student son, and the phone in the car rang. I had just gotten on I70. After I figured out how to answer, it was an IRS scam call. never got another phone call on that number while the OnStar was active.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Michaell said:
    I’m sure the driver wasn’t speeding.  ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Imid: That’s why “IRS People” was in quotes.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:
    I’m sure the driver wasn’t speeding.  ;)

Too fast for conditions, including the driver's own abilities.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

@oldfarmer50,
    Try I-75 between Toledo and Detroit, if you are talking worst road quality.

No, the Mass Pike is paved just fine. It's the traffic that's unbearable. You'll be rolling along at 70 when traffic JUST STOPS for no reason, as if someone decided to have a picnic. On the way to see the car i was stuck in jams 5 times in two hours. After picking up the car i was stuck on the turnpike ramp for an hour due to some minor fender bender. At least i knew the car ran ok because I had to do 75 all the way back for an appointment.

I`d hate tofight that every day.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

I have half a mind not to tell you guys that I bought my convertible. It`s a 2000 Sebring, the last year with the Mitsu 6cyl engine. Sebrings were sludgemobiles for the next 6 years and were off my list. It`s a silver over black Limited trim level with leather and Infinity stereo. Even has a CD player which is cool for an 18 yo car. Paid about 8% of MSRP which is whereI like to be. Has 80,000 miles so I`m hoping it still has 50% of it`s life left for 8% of sticker. Appeals to my cheap nature.

We aren't ignoring you....just got surprised by the sudden appearance of Jmonroe.

The 2000 Sebring gets pretty good reviews on Edmunds...overall 4 out of 5 stars. This one would be a good omen:

Review
    Ive kept my upkeep on it up to date. Bought with 98k miles 5 years ago. Now has over 265k and its still going strong. Comfortable, and appealing, its a dream to drive!

There are others that aren't nearly as good. With a new car, your chances of a lemon are probably less than .05%, with a used 18 year old car with 80k miles, it is probably more like 40%. But, you did your homework...it will either be the buy of the century, or you will be out a few dollars......Good luck!

EDMUNDS CONSUMER REVIEWS

I think that picture is of a 2008+ model. Who has one of those Daimler era cars? Stick or Snake?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

MSRP was roughly $27,000 as near as i can figure.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I spent a few hours detailing the Clubman today; it will be my DD when I start my prosecuting gig in January(assuming we nab a suitably equipped JK or JL for my wife). Anyway, I concentrated on the wheels and the faded cladding. I'm pretty happy with the results:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465

stickguy said:

MSRP was roughly $27,000 as near as i can figure.
    Do you have a plan for any maintenance before Winter sets in?

Good luck with it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    what did you use on the cladding? I was considering getting one of the products they sell at wally world or the auto parts store that claim to bring that black plastic back to life. The RDX could use that.

Farmer, the Weasel has the Sebring convertible ( I assume still called that for his generation).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    I have half a mind not to tell you guys that I bought my convertible. It`s a 2000 Sebring, the last year with the Mitsu 6cyl engine. Sebrings were sludgemobiles for the next 6 years and were off my list. It`s a silver over black Limited trim level with leather and Infinity stereo. Even has a CD player which is cool for an 18 yo car. Paid about 8% of MSRP which is whereI like to be. Has 80,000 miles so I`m hoping it still has 50% of it`s life left for 8% of sticker. Appeals to my cheap nature.
    We aren't ignoring you....just got surprised by the sudden appearance of Jmonroe. The 2000 Sebring gets pretty good reviews on Edmunds...overall 4 out of 5 stars. This one would be a good omen: Review Ive kept my upkeep on it up to date. Bought with 98k miles 5 years ago. Now has over 265k and its still going strong. Comfortable, and appealing, its a dream to drive! There are others that aren't nearly as good. With a new car, your chances of a lemon are probably less than .05%, with a used 18 year old car with 80k miles, it is probably more like 40%. But, you did your homework...it will either be the buy of the century, or you will be out a few dollars......Good luck! EDMUNDS CONSUMER REVIEWS
    I think that picture is of a 2008+ model. Who has one of those Daimler era cars? Stick or Snake?
    I have a 2008 Sebring ragtop.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited August 2018
    stickguy said:

what did you use on the cladding? I was considering getting one of the products they sell at wally world or the auto parts store that claim to bring that black plastic back to life. The RDX could use that.

Farmer, the Weasel has the Sebring convertible ( I assume still called that for his generation).

I used Wipe New Trim Restorer. It's received good reviews so I thought that I'd give it a shot. I used Griot's Rubber Cleaner with a bristle brush to prepare the surface.If I get a year or two out of it I'll be happy.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Might have to pick some up. The acura is overdue for a thorough detail. Need to clay and wax it, touch up a few scratches, and work on the plastic trim. Make a project out of it.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Looks great @roadburner!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2018
    ab348 said:
    I’m sure the driver wasn’t speeding
    ;)

But, if he was going faster he might have been able to stay on the road...... :o

driver100 said:

We aren't ignoring you....just got surprised by the sudden appearance of Jmonroe.

The 2000 Sebring gets pretty good reviews on Edmunds...overall 4 out of 5 stars. This one would be a good omen:

Review
    Ive kept my upkeep on it up to date. Bought with 98k miles 5 years ago. Now has over 265k and its still going strong. Comfortable, and appealing, its a dream to drive!

There are others that aren't nearly as good. With a new car, your chances of a lemon are probably less than .05%, with a used 18 year old car with 80k miles, it is probably more like 40%. But, you did your homework...it will either be the buy of the century, or you will be out a few dollars......Good luck!

EDMUNDS CONSUMER REVIEWS

Snake has one....I think I did 2008 instead of 2000...I can only go back 10 years. No, I think I got it;

yeah, that looks a lot more like a 2000 MY

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    pensfan83 said:
    @abacomike you should really think of going to a different grocery store at this point :D
    I used to shop at the Walmart Super Store for food but it’s much easier and closer to shop st Publix.

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:
    WOW, you have to be a pretty miserable person to get a robot ticked-off enough that it hangs up on you. :o jmonroe Edit: this site is more screwed up than I thought. This post was supposed to go to @dino001 not GG. :@
    Welcome back, @jmonroe ... er, @jmonroe1 !! ;)
    Thanks. I have some catching up to do but I have a dilemma. I'm not sure the best way to go a about it. Should I do blitz posting like @andres3 or some long posts like @iluvmysephia1? Maybe I should let you guys decide. :'( jmonroe
    Do both - as long as they are meaningless and funny. God know I need a few laughs, jmonroe!  Thank goodness you’re back.  :D

2021 Genesis G90

stickguy said:
    When I was a young whippersnapper, I used to fly down to Miami frequently to visit my grandparents. They owned a home in Coral Gables from 1947-1961.  My grandfather drove a 1949 Oldsmobile 98 and my grandmother drove a 1948 Chevrolet Coupe (fastback), both in black.

I used to see lots of ragtops down here during those times.  In 1971, my parents bought a condo in far North Miami Beach, a stone’s throw from Ft. Lauderdale airport.  I used to visit with my wife and kids a couple of times a year from Chicago.  At that time, there were still lots of ragtops.

Nowadays, I hardly see convertibles down here.  I believe it is due to the higher incidence of skin cancer and the fact that May through late October, it’s just too darn hot and humid.  Even at night, our lows are in the low 80’s and very humid.

Up north, convertibles seem a lot more practical since April through October, there are plenty of delightful days and evenings to drive with the top down.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

pensfan83 said:

@abacomike you should really think of going to a different grocery store at this point :D

I used to shop at the Walmart Super Store for food but it’s much easier and closer to shop st Publix.

I might pay $10 to $20 a week more to shop at Publix instead of Walmart.....but, it is worth every penny.

I don't mind Walmart once in awhile....if I need say groceries, a toilet plunger, a furnace filter, a USB stick, a birthday card, all in one trip it is easier to do it all in one stop.......but, only if I have to.

abacomike said:

stickguy said:

;In 1971, my parents bought a condo in far North Miami Beach, a stone’s throw from Ft. Lauderdale airport.  I used to visit with my wife and kids a couple of times a year from Chicago.  At that time, there were still lots of ragtops.

Nowadays, I hardly see convertibles down here.  I believe it is due to the higher incidence of skin cancer and the fact that May through late October, it’s just too darn hot and humid. &nbsp.

Could be a combination of reasons;
    Air conditioning is more dependable and is less expensive,
    Many people don't want to be out in the sun unnecessarily,
    There was something romantic and a convertible denoted status....not anymore
    We have learned, a convertible isn't all that it is cracked up to be.
    Only 10% of convertible buyers, buy a second one.

There are about 6 times a year when conditions are perfect for having a convertible, is it worth it to put up with all of the disadvantages for those 6 days? Under ideal conditions a convertible is great.....the rest of the time more disadvantages than advantages.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    driver100 said:
    pensfan83 said:
    I might pay $10 to $20 a week more to shop at Publix instead of Walmart.....but, it is worth every penny. I don't mind Walmart once in awhile....if I need say groceries, a toilet plunger, a furnace filter, a USB stick, a birthday card, all in one trip it is easier to do it all in one stop.......but, only if I have to.
    I’d go to the grocery store and Amazon prime the rest while waiting in line!  Heck we even have Prime Pantry now so about the only food we buy in the stores is meat, dairy and produce.  Most other stuff my wife orders monthly.  

I shouldn’t shop online considering what I do, but it’s just so convenient sometimes.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Review

EDMUNDS CONSUMER REVIEWS

Snake has one....I think I did 2008 instead of 2000...I can only go back 10 years. No, I think I got it;

I thought that body style and interior was very handsome and still looks nice today.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited August 2018

dino001 said:

The "IRS People" call me on my home, usually every three months. They usually leave a message with a robovoice.

Odd because most "experts" say the IRS won't call you. They will send a letter first. However, On tax forms, including a 1040x I just filed, they want your phone number... So if they have questions about the 1040x simple change during the 16 weeks they say it can take to process a 1040x are they going to call me? (17 weeks? What are they doing that they can't do a reprocess of a simple individual return.)

When we bought the 2014 Malibu in March of 2014, the first drive we took was to Columbus for lunch with our OSU student son, and the phone in the car rang. I had just gotten on I70. After I figured out how to answer, it was an IRS scam call. never got another phone call on that number while the OnStar was active.
    Did you see the quotes in the IRS People? Of course IRS doesn't call you about your bad return, but sends you a letter first. It's the Nigerian, Indian, or home grown scam artists calling you to scare you that the Sheriff is on his way to arrest you, if you don't respond now.

In the old days of paper returns, I heard of people who were called legitimately, but only if they forgot a signature, or had some other technical issue with the forms. Essentially a courtesy call from the IRS to help you avoid late filing penalties, if you act. Those filing electronically would not experience that, as return gets rejected if there is something wrong with the technicals (e.g. wrong PIN) and you get an email. If there are actual questions about the income, deductions, etc. then you get letters, not phone calls.

By the way, three years ago somebody tried to file a return on my name (scamming a large refund, of course), but the IRS caught it themselves and rejected it. There was still some extra work, though. I couldn't file electronically that year, had to send a paper return with an affidavit, report the crime at my local sheriff's office. However, I still got the refund money fairly quickly, in couple of months. Since then they send me PIN valid for a particular tax year and now I can file electronically again. My colleague had similar problem and he still had an unresolved return after a year.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Convertibles are pretty much dead because many now want their creature comforts like AC and a quiet ride. They'll get a sunroof instead. Personally though, I think a sunroof is like being half pregnant. A small hole in the roof that gives a little light and when open gives noise as well, while taking away headroom. Don't understand their appeal really, but they sell a ton of them.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    We've gotten the heavily accented local police scam calls.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Back in the '90s there was a magazine interview with the golfer Fred Couples which touched on his desire to stay out of the spotlight off the course. One quote that was widely laughed at back then was something along the lines of "I don't answer the phone, because there might be someone on the other end.". I think Fred was just way ahead of his time.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I just finished reading a book about golf with the very same quote from Freed Couples in it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    berri said:

Convertibles are pretty much dead because many now want their creature comforts like AC and a quiet ride. They'll get a sunroof instead. Personally though, I think a sunroof is like being half pregnant. A small hole in the roof that gives a little light and when open gives noise as well, while taking away headroom. Don't understand their appeal really, but they sell a ton of them.

OTOH....I like a panoramic sunroof. First....I like the look of the black shiny roof. I like that there is a sunroof in the back and in the front. I can leave the sunroof in position all the time....somehow they make it so the direct burning rays don't get through. It adds light and brightness to the interior....makes me feel better.

I don't open the sunroof....there are few times it is better than having the a/c on, but, I like the fact it is there.
    btw....when we toured the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart, they said the sunroof strengthened the body of the car.

ab348 said:

One quote that was widely laughed at back then was something along the lines of "I don't answer the phone, because there might be someone on the other end.". I think Fred was just way ahead of his time.

When the phone rings I usually tell Mrs Driver that it sounds like it is for her.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I love having a pano roof. It really brightens things up inside with the often dreary climate here, and it just looks right on the right car. MBs wear it especially well, and IIRC MB was the pioneer of what we consider to be a pano on a modern sedan, going back to 2002. MB and Porsche had similar styles on 2 door cars in the mid 90s.
    driver100 said:

OTOH....I like a panoramic sunroof. First....I like the look of the black shiny roof. I like that there is a sunroof in the back and in the front. I can leave the sunroof in position all the time....somehow they make it so the direct burning rays don't get through. It adds light and brightness to the interior....makes me feel better.

I don't open the sunroof....there are few times it is better than having the a/c on, but, I like the fact it is there.
    btw....when we toured the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart, they said the sunroof strengthened the body of the car.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The pano roof in the VW stays closed (the cloth cover) 99% of the time, as with high temperatures, I have no desire to make it several degrees hotter letting in the radiant heat from sunlight. This is sunny San Diego though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    berri said:

We've gotten the heavily accented local police scam calls.

There's a funny video on YouTube where a police scammer actually calls a police station.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I've had one sunroof. That was on my Mustang pace car. 1979. I didn' like it. 

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I really appreciated mine in gloomy northeast winters, when any smidge of extra light is a mood lifter. Still like them in SoCal but not as necessary.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    We have four vehicles, 2 with double pane sunroofs, 1 with a sunroof and a convertible.
    I rarely slide the roof back, but like to open the shade and crack the back of it open for the air flow.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I like it for light into the cabin and also occasionally carrying something tall. I don't open it very much due to wind noise.
    edited August 2018
    I like it for light into the cabin and also occasionally carrying something tall. I don't open it very much due to wind noise.
    The front moonroof opens all the way in my car - but the rear moonroof is sealed.  The rear passenger has a switch on either rear door that, when pressed, opens the rear top screen to allow sunlight in and enables the rear passengers to see out.  There are two audio speakers in the roof between the two moonroofs which are used as part of the surround sound system.

The only time I have opened the front moonroof is during the winter and spring months.  But I agree Shifty that the wind noise can be a bit obtrusive.

2021 Genesis G90

i open mine all the time. Summer, winter, doesn't matter. can get a little noise at highway speeds but just turn up the radio and it goes away. Around town, no issue. And I always keep the shade open (unless really getting sun angling in funny). I like the light it brings in, and love having the fresh air when I can.

nice in the winter too. Open the roof, put on the bun warmers and heat from the floor vents, and get a nice refreshing outdoor experience. Of course, when I had the Miata, as soon as the temp broke 41 (the temp that Mazda said it was OK to fold it), the top was down. windows up and heat one (and driving gloves) and it was perfect.

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Man trying to catch up and hear, have to be signed up good to go though. 
    Took the truck to the carwash today.
    After we got back from MI, I cleaned the bugs off the front and washed the wheels and tires.
    I thought it was strange that they were mopping the sides as I entered the wash.
    After I drove out, I realized the side brushes never activated.
    Kind of aggrevating, they should have pointed out the brushes weren't working.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465

Took the truck to the carwash today.
    After we got back from MI, I cleaned the bugs off the front and washed the wheels and tires.
    I thought it was strange that they were mopping the sides as I entered the wash.
    After I drove out, I realized the side brushes never activated.
    Kind of aggrevating, they should have pointed out the brushes weren't working.

Where have you been man? They did you a favor, brushes aren't supposed to touch a cars painted surfaces. :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I used to be a 'no carwash guy', but since it's important to wash the underneath, I have started going to them.
    Most times, I go to the touchless bay, but the truck really needed cleaning after a 2K trip.
    Number of times I've opened the sunroof in the M235i since I purchased it in January 2016: 0
    Number of times I've opened the sunroof in the Mini since I purchased it in May 2017: 0
    No hole in the roof in either the Club Sport or i3.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    My wife and I both enjoy sunroofs and open them frequently. Some vehicles are worse that others when it comes to noise and that annoying buffeting. I have found in most cases lowering a back window about 2 inches solves that issue.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav