Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 GMC Acadia AC (Air Conditioning) Issues

drcorsodrcorso Member Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in GMC
Just wanted to share an experience with our 2015 GMC Acadia. At about 14,700 miles our AC stopped blowing cool air. Of course this happens at the peak of the heat of summer. We just had it repaired under warranty and it was the rear evaporator core was leaking refrigerant and they had to replace the evaporator core and the blower motor case. I wanted to note it here as a google search brings up a lot of history with AC issues and this vehicle and it's borther and sister models the Traverse and Enclave. I guess we will see how long this repair lasts.

For the record my 2000 Toyota Tundra has never had any AC issues and has not even had to be recharged yet. Granted there have been many other major issues with this vehicle even out of warranty Toyota took care of most issues at no cost to me. Hopefully if this issue repeats GMC does the same.

Comments

• screwedbymazdascrewedbymazda Member Posts: 7
    Our 2016 GMC Acadia has just been repaired due to the rear evaporator core. We had about 29,000 miles on the vehicle. It was repaired under warranty. A problem seems to be here...
  • my2015acadiamy2015acadia Member Posts: 1
    My 2015 Acadia had the AC light flash 6 times. Same thing rear evaporator and blower motor replaced. Under warranty, just barely.
  • mandatinymandatiny Member Posts: 3
    To my surprise there is quite a discussion happening on how bad GMC A/C works. We have a 2016 Acadia and have to take it in to the dealership to get a new compressor already. It only has 54,000 miles and isn't even 3 years old. Getting a new compressor is not cheap and I cannot believe there was not a recall or that from year to year they didn't fix these issues. This was our first GMC and we raved about it. I won't be recommending it to anyone and I certainly don't think we'd buy another.
  • AkosAkos Member Posts: 1
    The a/c in my 2015 acadia just stopped working at 35k miles due to the evaporator core. Seems like there are a lot of these and seems like it should be a recall after $1400 in repairs
  • LitlmomLitlmom Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2015 Acadia. We took a two week summer vacation last year (2017). We were driving through the dessert on our way to California when our AC decided to quit blowing cool air. We had about 25,000 miles on it at the time. We took it to a dealership and they found a leak in the front hose. They said it had been rubbing against something metal next to it. They replaced it at no cost because it was still under warranty. Fast forward to two weeks ago. We were driving home from a local grocery store when the AC quit blowing cool again. We have 32,000 miles on it now. Took it to the dealership again, this time it was the rear evaporator core. They said it had a leak, which drained all the Freon. The next day they fix it, but while they were charging it up and letting it run, the hose busted that was connected to the rear core. They said it had been rubbed through where it had be rubbing against some metal. We purchased the extended warranty, good thing because even though we don’t have 36,000 miles yet, we are past the 3 year mark. They fixed it again at no charge to us. My husband is about over this Acadia, he is thinking it might be a good time to trade this one in on something else.

Yes, there should be a recall on this issue.
  • drcorsodrcorso Member Posts: 2
    Here we are again. Our rear evaporator coil has failed again in our 2015 GMC Acadia. It failed about September of 2018 but we are just getting to having it looked at now as we did not need it much after it had failed. It was last replaced in August of 2016 and the vehicle was purchased in May of 2015. So it seems these are a consumable item at every 2 months needing to replace it.
  • reunitepetsreunitepets Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how long the ac rear evaporator core is under warranty? My 2015 Acadia was leaking refrigerant, this is the second costly air conditioning problem I've had in less then 1 year.
    The first time we were traveling and the problem seemed to be exactly the same as it is now, so went to an out of town dealership. Were told it's not under warranty, they told us cost was over 348. bucks as a "discounted price". They said it was in the front of the car. They didn't even enter the information into the system for my local dealership to pull up. My receipt was left in VA, I'm in Florida. So, I don't know exactly what they did.
    Now the same problem BUT my local dealer today says its the rear evaporator, cost is 1700.00 bucks but giving me a deal of only 500. Any suggestions or help with this is greatly appreaciated. My email is reunitepets@aol.com
    The air blows but not cooling, since Iv'e had this car have had to put feon in total 3 times.
    Discounted price X 2 dealerships, hmmm just makes me wonder if maybe if should be covered under warranty
  • klocksterklockster Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2015 used GMC Acadia Denali a couple of months ago. Has 54,000 miles and the AC compressor literally blew up as I was driving and smoke started coming out form the hood. I had to have it towed to the dealership not knowing what had happened and found out that when it blew, shrapnel went into the entire system and the entire system has to be replaced. Why are dealerships selling used GMC Acadia knowing knowing there are problems and recalls for AC units?
  • DlabajDlabaj Member Posts: 1
    klockster said:

Bought a 2015 used GMC Acadia Denali a couple of months ago. Has 54,000 miles and the AC compressor literally blew up as I was driving and smoke started coming out form the hood. I had to have it towed to the dealership not knowing what had happened and found out that when it blew, shrapnel went into the entire system and the entire system has to be replaced. Why are dealerships selling used GMC Acadia knowing knowing there are problems and recalls for AC units?

I had the same thing on my 09...I'm wondering if the lines can be flushed?