Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• pinecrestjimpinecrestjim Member Posts: 64
    Karl, thanks for the above information. I wasn't sure about that "turret" oil, and since mine is a 6 speed I don't have to worry now about that oil in the passenger compartment.

I haven't obtained any service manuals yet - the one's I've come across only listed thru '99. They are probably still valid, but I would prefer the inclusion of the '00.

Jim M.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Another option is:
    1)Funnel
    2) ~ 3ft. of clear plastic tubing available at most hardware stores.
    3) ~2" of 1/2" copper tubing, and a 1/2" copper elbow.

Slip copper tubing, with elbow attached, into one end of plastic tubing.
    Put funnel in other end.

Under hood, snake plastic tubing, copper end first, down to tranny.

You can take it from there. '99 5-speed calls for 2.1 qts.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I was going to post the steps I used (and are listed w/pix in the Enthusiast's Manual you asked about) when you reminded me that you have the 6-speed. I wouldn't trust my directions w/o some confirmation that the set up is the same -- if you find it is, email me and I'll be glad to let you know how it happened ... not a big deal at all.

take care.
    Joe W>
  • oscar18oscar18 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about the miata mx-5. Sounds like a great car. Just read the report on the 2001,can't wait to see one in person. Any idea about price on the base model? I heard that the blizzak snow tires wear out very quickly,anyone go any info. Thanks
    I'm going to call a dealership tomorrow and see if I can gain any further information on the 6 sp. Karl's response seemed rather surefooted so I'm assuming he is correct on his information.

I'm purchasing jack stands to compliment my ramps. The Miata won't climb my current ramps due to the angle vs the car's air dam. I plan to jack the car up, then slide the ramps under the front end. I'll support the rear with the jack stands. I'm not real crazy about sliding under a vehicle supported solely by jack stands. The Miata might not weigh much, but it's definitely more than my chest can support should something fail. The ramps will give a measure of confidence.

I could have the dealer do all three oils for a quoted 1 hour of labor ($65) if I supply the oils. I'm not leaning that way, but it would help as to documentation should I find some particulates a bit too big stuck to the magnetic plugs.

Think I'll go with the Redline oil for the tranny and diff. I can purchase it for $7.99/qt. locally. It won't need to be replaced for quite a while, as the Miata is not my daily driver. I'm planning to use Mobil 1 in the engine and stay with 7.5K changes. Redline is a little too pricey ($8/qt) for that frequent a change.

Any recommendations on a filter? The Purolater book indicated they don't make a Pure One filter for the Miata, and I couldn't find a Mobil 1 book to determine if they make a filter.

Jim M.
    Jim, the information I've received suggests that you should stay with OEM Mazda filters. The company has apparently designed in a valve in the filter so that an aftermarket may "fit" and look exactly the same, but ...

while it may work okay, most people seem to agree that for the buck or so difference it makes sense to play it safe.

My local dealer charges $5.25 for filters, also available by mail order via the aftermarket suppliers.

RE: ramps -- check out the rhino ramps sold by Moss motors & other Miata suppliers. Their angle is such that the low clearance doesn't bother them and, obviously, would be less of a pain to use.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    First, use head.......

Use ramps on rear axle, jacks in front, so parking brake is available to keep vehicle from rolling!!!

Duh.

Joe, Thanks for the advice on the filters.

Jim M.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    There's no doubt that the Miata is lots of fun to drive. However. . .my first one stranded me one day with a transmission that wouldn't shift out of reverse. The dealer wasn't the slightest bit surpirsed and fixed the whole thing under warranty. This was a '91.

The '94 ("R Pkg") was completely troublefree.

Both were a blast to drive, but no more so than my '65 MGB (which leaked oil & had generator "issues" regularly), or for that matter than my current Lincoln LS.

Fun is where you find it, and in this hellhole desert (Phoenix, AZ), the Miata doesn't realize its full potential.

Enjoy yours!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • emilyremilyr Member Posts: 2
    i'm looking for a 2000 mazda with a hard top, ABS and automatic. What is the best price for this?? and how much should i expect under msrp??please help!!
  • emilyremilyr Member Posts: 2
    did i say it was a mazda miata that i wanted?? :)
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    The best price I can think of is free ;-)
  • ffisherncffishernc Member Posts: 3
    For those of you who are interested you can now subscribe to Miata Magazine directly. Look at miatanet.com for the links. Evidently there is a dispute with MCA and members may not receive the latest issue anyway.
    My experience & info. from reading:

Blizzaks are excellent for Miata on snow AND ICE until the tread wears a modest amount. Then the little micro pores that grip the ice are gone and you're left with a reasonably good snow tire.

If you get them, treat them very gently to prolong their ice-gripping ability.

I suggest you visit Tirerack and Discount Tire websites for more info.
    Thinking of purchase of Miata MX-5, How are they in the snow? Also has been suggested to use Blizzak snow tires,How well do they work? Anybody?
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I don't have a Miata, but it is a light rwd car. Snowtires would help, but think about ground clearance. If you live in Virginia or so and get a couple of inches of snow, you'll be okay. If you live in New Hampshire like I do, a sportscar stays in the garage.
    I drive a Subaru with Blizzaks on in the winter. They seem like a good tire. Not much wear after 2 winters.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    You know, I had my exact next car picked out -- a Milano Red 2001 Prelude, base, 5-speed, with spoiler. But then I finally read all 900+ messages on the $25K sports car topic, and I feel myself getting sucked inexorably towards test driving a Miata.

I like the 200 HP engine in the Prelude, but my number one priority is how much fun a car is to drive -- and that means responsiveness and handling as well as acceleration. The Prelude definitely scores high in all of these areas, but you guys do seem to be having a lot of fun with your Miatas...

What I want to know is, how practical would it be to have a Miata as my only car in Boston? I don't care about cargo space, since I do my grocery shopping over the web. But I would want to be able to drive in snow/ice (with good snow tires). Will the Miata's heater keep the car reasonably warm, even in sub-zero temperatures?

Is it worth getting a Miata even if you're going to be driving it with the top up 6 months out of the year? Is it still fun-to-drive with the top up, or would I be better off with a Prelude?
    I drove my '99 through one winter in the Ann Arbor, MI area. Experienced heavy snow on two occasions. No problem at all with car equipped with Blizzaks, except to beware of deep snow; the low ground clearance can get the car 'floating' on the snow.

A very much appreciated feature is the Glass heated backlight. With the plastic version that some others have, it would have been very unpleasant.

Heater performance is completely adequate.

In my opinion, the Miata provides more fun/$$ than anything else on the road.

I'm a Ford retiree, and at the time I bought the Miata, I could have bought a Mustang GT for essentially the same price. I went for the Miata & have no regrets.
  • heelandtoeheelandtoe Member Posts: 2
    Blacktalon, you said it yourself: test drive a Miata before you choose between it and the Prelude; you can't decide anything before then.

I own both a Prelude (a pristine 1988 2.0Si with 116,000 blissful miles) and a Miata (brand-new 2000). The Miata is a blast, and I love it for top-down motoring, but if I had to have only one car, it would be a Prelude. It does more things exceedingly well than any other car I've ever owned.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    I'll put in my two cents....

I probably would not buy a Miata as my ONLY car. A two seater is a bit too limiting for me and I do have to carry largish things every once in a while (like a bicycle) But since I have the space and finance to pay for it, I am fortunate enough that I can keep another sedan around and I have the best of both worlds. If you don't have a passenger, you can carry some pretty big items around.

However, LOTS of people have their Miata as their only car. It's do-able and you may have to make some attitude adjustments to pull it off. Driving the car in the snow is NO problem as long as snow is not more than a few inches (around 5"?) deep and you have good snow tires. Check out tires like the Michelin Alpin, Nokian Hakkapellita, or Blizzaks. These are all tires that will allow the Miata to handle the slipperiest of conditions. The balance of the car is excellent and any sliding is fun and easy to control. The softtop will wear a bit over time but this is expected.

The Miata is easily the most fun car I've owned. I've driven faster coupes like Prelude, Corrado and Acura Integra Type R, and BMW 323ci etc. And none of them approach the back to basics sportscar feeling that a Miata offers. I tell everyone that "Everybody should own a Miata-like car sometime in their life" If you can pull it off now, then do it!!! Some people are in the perfect situation to buy a car like a Miata but opt for some more practical car instead. I think I should have bought a Miata 8 years ago but instead I opted for a Corrado. Now I wish I bought the Miata instead.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    As for the question: Is it the Miata worth it if you have the top up 6 months out of the year.

YES.

I actually store my Miata away for the winter and I do only get to drive it seven months. And the top is up at least 1 of those months.

It's is worth it, the Miata is fun to drive even with the top up (once you get used to its blind spots).
    Last night I finished changing the oils in my '00SE over to synthetics. I found that after draining the diff. and engine, I could just fill the four quart-sized oil bottles from the drain pan (not overfilled, either!). As the diff. started draining when I removed the filler plug, I'm "assuming" the engine oil was low. The manual calls for 4 qts in the engine alone!, with 1.1 qts in the diff. I checked the dip stick after the refill and it read full after adding 4 qts.

The oil filter cannot hold much oil due to it's size, and no oil was spilled outside the drain pan.

I had also failed to check my engine oil level prior to the oil change. Have I lost my mind?

So, just as a precautionary measure, if you've bought a new car, check the oil level before leaving the dealer's lot. Even if it's older, this should serve as a reminder for your routine car checkups.

Jim M.
    I live 45 miles west of Boston, in the mountains where it snows ... a lot. I garage the Miata in the wintertime, so I'm not sure I can tell you to do otherwise, but Boston is enough milder that, if the Miata will work for you in the summer, I see no reason for it to be major problem in the winter ... unless you routinely handle deeper snows.

That said, many people will tell you I hang around here way too much as Miatas are very special to me, but I doubt I'd want one as a sole ride. A Miata is a toy and I'd own one for that purpose. If I couldn't afford a nice "real" car, I'd buy a beater, maybe a big frontwheel drive, early 90s wagon. That's transportation, not fun, and it's cheap enough you can afford to replace it more often. Especially needed in Boston.

Anytime I want fun, I head for MX5s.

Take care.
    Joe W>
    I'll be buying my Miata as an only car, living in Toronto. Snow isn't a problem with snow tires, If my Mustang worked, the Miata will too. I have more then one other person in the car only a few times a year so someone else can drive those few times, and the biggest thing I need to carry is a couple of travel bags groceries, or beer. Most of my driving is in or around the city. And being only 5'6 I fit quite comfortably into this little car.
    Actually, I'm looking forward to driving it in the winter as well as in the summer.
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Why aren't there any posts to this topic on the weekends? I guess everyone is out driving and having a good time! Ha ha... Well, me too in about 10 minutes! See you on Tuesday!
  • sophietuckersophietucker Member Posts: 4
    Oh what a relief to find a site where I can get some help working through the issue of whether to keep my 2000 LS green-eyed beauty or not. Got the car in April and did manage through a few late season snow encounters and with the exception of getting sloshed by the big guys all was ok. I live in southwest Michigan and if the Lake effect snow machine gets going we can have snow up the yazoo. I am worried that holding onto the Miata is just not sensible. My doctor's wife has a Miata and he is more concerned about my car choice than my blood pressure. He says his wife always attempts driving the Miata is the winter and after a spin or two garages it for the winter. I have looked at other cars and get no thrill at all. I am considering a VW Passat, feels a bit like my old MX6 (loved that car). What really scares the begebbers out of me is the Miata's intermitable braking distance in the rain. Is it just my car, the Michelin Pilot tires or is this a dry weather friend. Will snow tires and a hard top really make this car roadworthy this winter, or should I spend that money on a trade up?
  • zacktheboyzacktheboy Member Posts: 4
    Would appreciate any advice from folks regarding the best way to tuck my LE away for a "long" and cold Upstate NY winter. My inital gameplane was to put the car on a caster system. Wheels rest in the casters allowing me to move the car around the garage if needed yet was told that tire may "conform" to the caster. Any advice regarding best method for storage would be greatley appreciated. THANKS!
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    Those OEM Michelins are terrible in the wet. At least that's my experience. They were very unstable in rainstorm, and hydroplane very easily. I ditched them after about 22k miles (even with plenty of treads left) and got a set of Toyo T1-S. They are not cheap (I got them at about $125 a piece) but they are excellent in wet conditions when compared to the Michelins. And more than a few people have the same experience with them. Check out www.miata.net and look under "Reviews" section.
    Can't help you much with snow as I have another vehicle for winter condition, and living in RI, I don't think it is the same as in Michigan. But there are a lot of people who drive their Miatas year round, and the most important thing according to them, is get a set of good snow tires. Blizzaks is always brought up as one of the better ones, but certainly not the only good snow tires. But a set of matching snow tires will make a world of difference.
  • sophietuckersophietucker Member Posts: 4
    Karl, thanks for the feedback....I feel much more hopeful about my ability to keep my Miata on the road this winter. Don't want to give it up. Twenty or so years ago, in college, I drove a Karmann Ghia year around, sure there were challenges and sometimes a route change to avoid a steep Kalamazoo hill. Any recommendations on the hard top, get one or no, comments?
    Gee, why's everyone talkin' 'bout that? I'm still in denial. OTOH, there is snow in the air on the back porch. So ...

Yeah, snow tires are needed, unless you're beaching it for the winter ...

To store for the winter ... some tips also available with better detail in the FAQ section of Miata.net:

get an oil change.
    top off the gas. Use Stabil or some such if you think it wise (I do.)
    Put the car on jack stands.
    Put mothballs in the engine compartment, trunk, interior.
    Stuff steel wool in the exhaust pipe.
    Stuff a rag wrapped around steel wool in the air intake (that way bits of steel wool won't get sucked into the engine).
    Remove the battery or put it on a charger. (Record radio code if you remove battery.)
    Prop the top open a crack, roll the windows down a crack, open hood and trunk just enough to take all pressure off the seals.
    Lube all the seals you can find.
    Cover the whole thing with a car cover.
    Begin marking off days till spring.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Do any of you have a cloth top?

I just noticed that the zipper on my window has pulled apart. Rather than replace the rear window, I'm thinking I may get a new top ... I've always liked the cloth & covet a glass window ... but I've never owned one -- any downsides you know of?

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • hugobeckerhugobecker Member Posts: 45
    I have an '00 LS and while we don't get as much snow in KC as you do in Chicago, we still get some. The LS with its Torsen limited slip, is less prone to swapping ends than a base model Miata. Put some snows on and just watch your throttle applications. Don't try to drive it through drifts though. :-)
    Before I got my 99, I had a 90 and replaced the original top with a black Robbins Top (with glass back window)
    For the time I had it, I love the way cloth top looks. It looks very sophisticated, like on a Mercedes or a Porsche :). And the quality of Robbins top is top notch, although you do pay (literally) when you buy it. Note that the cloth top with glass window will sit "taller" on the shelf than factory top, and may not sit totally folded if you don't put a boot on it.
    The only downside that I can think of, is cloth, especially on black cloth, any lint will show up easily and the top can be a real lint magnet. I used one of those sticky roller thingy (for pet hair) to clean the top.
    Thanks, karl.

Did you run into any problems in the installation? I'm assuming that you had it done at an upholstery shop -- did they find any surprises or was it pretty straightforward?

Other than lint, any maintenance clues?

Take care.
    Joe W>
    thinking of using synthetic oil in MX-5, any comments.... thanks.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I have a 1 1/2 year old and possibly another someday. I have a 2002 Accord sedan that won't be paid off for about 4 years and a 2001 CRV that has a couple of years until payoff time. I would love to have a Miata. I'm thinking of paying off the CRV and then getting a new or used one. I just don't see having a CRV and a Miata only. My wife can't / won't drive a 5-speed so I will probably have to go the 3rd car route. The waiting is killin' me, but I need to become more patient I suppose...all good things...
    well, to be honest with you, I didn;t know much about the installation because I had professional do it. Too involved for myself to do and I don;t want to mess up.
    And I didn't keep the car long enough to maintain it! *laugh* Shortly after I got the cloth top, I traded it for my 99.
    But I have heard people going to mercedes or porsche dealers and getting their stuff for cloth tops. Sorry can;t help you much, but the short time I had it, I just wash it with regular soap... and it looked great.
    check www.miataforum.com under maintenance and you can ask there.
    Did anyone pickup a Nov. Road and Track, and see the article on the new Miata and Millenia. The picture showed a righthand drive Miata, so it was probably one for their market.

But the point is, they didn't get any better 0-60 number than they have in the past. I believe it was 8.0 sec. I was hoping to see that drop into the low 7's. Anyone see any other review, or have an explanation? They attributed it to a weight gain. I thought the 2001's were going to be 30 lb lighter?

I am seriously considering a Z-28, instead of a Miata, because of these performance issues. Why is Toyota getting 180hp from the same size engine in the Celica? Honda's new Integra will have 200+hp. If it isn't producing the power, where's the greta mpg?
    If your idea of a good performing car is one that goes fast, then the miata is obviously a very wrong choice for you anyway. The Z-28 is everything the Miata is not, an exact opposite. fast, big, heavy and clumsy instead of slow, small, light and agile.
    Question I have for you is have you driven a Miata yet? If your decision to buy a Miata is based on 0-60mph time alone, you should be buying something else and not a Miata.
    Bang for the buck, the Camaro will give you better acceleration, but it appeals to a different crowd.
    A lot of people are disappointed in only 155hp from the 1.8L but remember, power costs, and remember Supra, RX-7, 300ZX? They are not here anymore because it costs way too much to buy them. Miata is an affordable sports car. And a lot of people are satisfied with it.
    You know, you can always get yourself an earlier Miata (possibly 94 to 97) and put a turbo in it and get around 200rwhp. That's in a car weigh in at around 2400 to 2500 lbs.
    I'm also concerned that the Miata doesn't have the best brakes. I've seen testing where the Miata's 60-0 was fairly average.
    Several times a year I also take trips of 400 - 550 miles. I would like to take my toy. How will a Miata be at 70 - 80 mph for most of a day? Those are some of my other "performance" qualms.
    I'll check the 2001 out. Maybe it will be more than a "curve-cutter".
  • raserase Member Posts: 1
    Brakes and long distances? Believe me they are not a problem.

I have driven my '90 233,000 + km. including many sessions on a race track - virtually no brake fade! Can't say that for many cars in stock condition. Better braking can be had with a swap of pads and tires if you so wish - but first try one - you may find that they are better than you think.

Long distances? With the top down it can get quite noisy at speed - so you will have to keep the speed down in that case but otherwise I find the car quite comfortable - seats and all.

Basically, just take a looong test drive - it is a fun car - even after 10 years! I'm wanting to pick up another one these days in fact. ;^)

Reijo
  • EdweebEdweeb Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Toronto and have seen a couple of the 2001 models on the streets and at a dealer. All the ones I've seen had a plastic cover where the new fog light cut-outs are. I was under the impression that the foglights would be standard. Is it an option? Have the reports been wrong? How about in the States, anyone seen any? I'll be buying mine in the States so am more curious if it is standard equipment down there. Unfortunately the dealer was closed when I went by to see it but the subtle changes look good. Gonna need some sort of protectors for those foglights though 'cuz they are pretty low to the ground. The only thing I don't like is the Mazda symbol on the steering wheel... I liked the Nardi emblem better... ah well, close to perfection. Wish I didn't total my '99 but at least I get to buy a '01... silver lining in every cloud.
    Again, I highly recommend anyone who craves information on anything Miata to check out www.miata.net and www.miataforum.com
    Here is a link to one of the discussions on the forum. Someone has gone to his local Mazda dealer and picked up a copy of 2001 brochure. He has scanned it in and you probably can make out some of the deetails.
    http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003658.html
  • shaw10shaw10 Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone tell me of their experience - good or bad - with traction in the snow esp with the limited slip differential? I have heard that it's pretty poor but have never talked with Miata owners who have the L.S. differential. I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2001 model but live in Ct. where I've got to go, even if there is snow !
    Took the '00 SE up to Norfolk, VA from Miami this past week. Only down side of the entire trip was a few road scars picked up on the front bumper - guess if you're gonna drive them, you've got to get away from the "cream puff" notions......

As to the Miata on a long trip, door-to-door was 996 miles. TOP UP, sustained 80mph up I-95. 27-29mpg. Road noise was not bad at all, and she still had PLENTY of reserve left at that speed.

Now, as to the actual ride...... My 13 year old daughter told me somewhere in South Carolina, "Dad, this car is not for road trips". Guess she would have preferred the entire back seat of my LeSabre which she usually has on such trips.

Regardless, the trip was fun. We made sure we got out of the vehicle for each meal, instead of the usual drive while eating routine I do in the Buick. The breaks were appreciated, and I might add we weren't under the usual time constraints we normally are.

All in all, it was a great, fun trip. My toy now has 5K on it!!!

Jim M.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Having driven an MGB in 44 states and two different Miatas on ~4000-miles-in-a-week sanity breaks in the Autumn, the question is": "relative to what?"

I came to the "B" from motorcycles (relatively small displacement & many 500+ mile days), so the notion of sitting comfortably while listening to the radio was a real step up. With the Miata, I also got independent rear suspension, no oil leaks, an electrical system that worked, and air conditioning. I drove both the '91 and the '94R across Nevada at 80 - 90+ for hours on end, and enjoyed it all, often with the top down. Oh yeah, I wore ear plugs. . .but think back to that motorcycle experience.

So, if you're used to some boulevard cruiser with great big soft seats and a soft suspension, you're probably not going to like 700 miles a day in a Miata. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a car that puts a smile on your face whenever the road curves, you'll love it.

By the way, I'm 6'2" and weigh too much, and still enjoyed the long days in the Miata. Either you're a roadster person. . .or you're not.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • njleslienjleslie Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I love this car! Got it in July and have really enjoyed it this summer and Indian summer. Unfortunately, I discovered a pinhole puncture in the vinyl top on the passenger side toward the back. Has anyone else had such a problem? It appears to have been made by the folding mechanism when the top goes down.
    I certainly haven't abused it and can't imagine any other way this could have happened.
    Plan to take it back to the dealer on Wednesday. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
    There was a problem with the soft top spring not strong enough to pull back the top. As a result the top mechanism pinch the vinyl and wear a hole in it. Bring it back to the dealer. With such a young car, they should be giving you a new top.
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I have a 95 Miata. I've only driven in the snow a couple of times. My advice is buy your Miata & buy a winter beater for the snowy days.
    Good luck
  • jammer4jammer4 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a nice used Miata. I would like to limit my cost to around $10,000. I have just begun to research the vehicle. Can anybody give me any advice on particular model years to avoid because of engine or other reliability concerns?

I have been very much impressed with other Mazda products I have owned in the past ('87 626 GT) and am excited about the possibility of having a nice used Mazda to drive in the non-wintery months here in Wisconsin. All I need is a little guidance from some of you. Thanks!