Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 jeep liberty crd (diesel) 4x4- problems

ranedouglasranedouglas Member Posts: 4
edited September 2018 in Jeep
howdy , yall.... i've had my jeep for 2-3 years. it's the first 4x4 and the first diesel i have owned. i really like it , but when i use the 4x4 full-time , it will make a grinding noise as i turn - then the awful sound stays until i take it completely out of 4x4 and back up quickly for 50 or so feet (i guess like the older 4x4's used to work).....then i have to drive a bit more. i had the bushing for the front rack and pinion steering replaced yesterday - and while it was being worked on, i had a look under it closely. the cv boots appear fine and everything else is encased in metallic housings. we did notice, however, that the axels turn into the transfer case as we turned the front wheels manually ( is that supposed to be like that ?) ..... what gives here ? i dont wanna screw up my 4x4..... dont know where to start. please help me out here if you have a jeep liberty 4x4.... 2005-2006 liberty crd even better.....

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The grinding noise---is it from the front or rear of the vehicle?
  • Options
    front
  • Options
    Since it occurs only while turning, you'd have to suspect the front differential or front wheel bearings. You or a shop can inspect those. I certainly wouldn't keep driving it that way. You might also post on the Jeep Liberty Forums.
  • Options
    i used the fulltime 4x4 again today.....the nsound comes from the driver's side front wheel/hub area...it does it all the time - not just turning. the faster i go, the faster the rythym of this sound of grinding metal. maybe it is a bearing...in any event , i'm taking it in for recall u38 (rear control arms) wed morning - i'll ask the dealership to look at it.....
  • Options
    May be too late to save the hub if the noise is that bad, but let's be optimistic. Let us know what they find.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    ....dude...... they replaced the rear control arms (recall u38) ... they took the thing around the block and just as time conservative estimate (which is what i desired - not to pay $70 for an official inspect and quote)......they said the front axle.....$1000 ........ which - whatever.......... i now wish i had NEVER taken it in for anything - they somehow broke the ignition.......... complete [non-permissible content removed]...... it's the little acuator (a $40 part) .... but when they explained that it happened on a liberty last week and it was $800 - i told them to just take the emergency $100 from wallet , go get drunk as *** , and figure out what youre gonna do - cause i'm not paying a penny...and i'll told them that i knew i had no money before i ever brought it in (because i had asked the service mgr to help me replace the bushings under the rack and pinion , but it took 8 weeks to get it in for the recall so i helped my shadetree mech do it for $100 - parts were around 40 bux).......and i told them i'd light the dang thing on fire right there before i did anything like pay for something they ***ed up..... then i just had to get outta there before my eyes turned white (which is never good - and scares the death out of me)....