Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

shuts off while driving

63novabb63novabb Member Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in Chrysler
I have a 2003 Chrysler town an country van some time when you are driving down the road
the van will just quit turn key off an back on some time it starts right back some time but not all
time when it don't start back all dash lights are on but it wont grank over turn it off wait a few
min and it starts back some time it will go for a day and be fine the it will quite again.any help

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Do we have any codes?
  • Options
    no no codes
  • Options
    The fact that sometimes it will not even crank over suggests to me (just a guess) that we might be dealing with an ignition switch problem or loose/corroded wiring somewhere.

The way to approach this of course is to wait until it happens and then test to see "what has been lost"--either spark, fuel, or, in your case maybe the signal from the ignition switch to the starter and the ignition coils.

Could be a tricky one to solve.

Of course, check your battery cables--both positive and ground, on BOTH ends, and check your fuse box for any signs of corrosion.

Next time it happens, you might also try a "wiggle test" of the harness coming out of the fuse box.
  • Options
    thanks for the info I have tried all that an same response I have looked at the ign emobilizer and removed the cluster to ck for loose connection .
  • Options
    Can you use a test light to check for signal at the starter solenoid when someone turns on the key?
  • Options
    waiting for it to stop again so I can do more test will post when I find out
  • Options
    oktook the van to a garage and had it checked out the tech. said it was the P.C.M power control module could it be or is he just blowing smoke if I got the part an put it on would it have to be programed he wants $780 parts an labor.
  • Options
    Well will he refund your money if he's wrong?
  • Options
    just seems to me if it was pcm it would set a code but it has no codes set and none in history
  • Options
    PCMs do fail but it's pretty rare. Yeah, pin-testing the connectors when the fault happens could reveal the answer.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    63novabb said:

just seems to me if it was pcm it would set a code but it has no codes set and none in history

What modules were checked for codes? If the PCM lost power it wouldn't set any codes but other modules that need information from it would set codes against it. Modules like the transmission control module, body computer, front control module, antilock brakes should all have been reporting if the PCM alone fell off the data bus. If none of the other computers have any codes in them then a power supply issue is far more likely to be in play, because the only way that would happen is if they were all powered down.
    63novabb said:

oktook the van to a garage and had it checked out the tech. said it was the P.C.M power control module could it be or is he just blowing smoke if I got the part an put it on would it have to be programed he wants $780 parts an labor.

First it is entirely plausible that he is correct, however it easily isn't the only possible cause. What exactly did they say happened for them? Did it act up and stay broke long enough for them to complete testing? What were they specifically able to prove before it restarted if it did?

As far as replacing it yourself, you will have to program the SKIM (theft deterrent) before it will start. The computer itself should come from a rebuilder with the current software calibration if it is sourced correctly.

• Options
    rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Maybe there's an internal shortage in the PCM/ECM.