Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 CR-V Model Paint peel off issue

crvexbuyercrvexbuyer Member Posts: 17
edited June 2016 in Honda
HI, I have got my CRV in Late Feb, only three months now (2600 miles), and noticed the bumper side paints peeling off. (it is white diamond), Does any one have the issue? Do this suppose a defect and cover by warranty? thank you for any suggestion

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2016
    I'd complain to the dealer.

First you may want to swing by a body shop. You say side paints; is it on both bumpers or just one? It's possible a bumper was dinged in transit and repaired (poorly) by the dealer. Most state laws don't require that dealers disclose damage or repair when they sell new cars.

Both bumpers peeling would make me suspect a factory defect.
  • crvexbuyercrvexbuyer Member Posts: 17
    thanks. it is on front bumper, on the right side. the black interior exposed out now. I didnt' scratch. I just keep peeling more day by day
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2016
    I suspect Stever is correct. Lots of bumpers get painted prior to sale and they have to be prepped just right or the paint might peel or get dull very quickly. A paint depth gauge should reveal the answer here.
  • crvexbuyercrvexbuyer Member Posts: 17
    thanks for the advice. May I ask where to locate this paint depth gauge and how to get it to measure?

thank you again

I suspect Stever is correct. Lots of bumpers get painted prior to sale and they have to be prepped just right or the paint might peel or get dull very quickly. A paint depth gauge should reveal the answer here.

• carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    I once had my rear bumper repainted at a body shop after having a brush with a fire hydrant while reversing.

THE PAINT QUALITY WAS POOR AND IT STARTED PEELING AND GET FLAKY.

So I think it is a repaint job over some shipment damage. Get a factory painted bumper installed or ask for a refund.
  • Riceman123Riceman123 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 White Honda Odyssey and the paint is peeling off the hood and top in large chunks. It looks horrible and cannot believe there is not a recall ! It is the Touring addition which is not cheap but now looks very cheap. Embarrassing. I'm afraid to spend the money to repaint it in fear that it will just peel off again.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well ten years down the road you have to expect the possibility of environmental damage. A good body shop should have no trouble making those panels look as good as new, and they should warranty their work. Since it is the horizontal surfaces that are suffering, I'd have to suspect UV damage from the sun.

Sometimes indoor storage, car covers and waxing can mitigate the eventual wear and tear on paint.