Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Transmission

KennyL65_KennyL65_ Member Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Chevrolet
Can a Transmission from a 2001 Chevy Express 2500 2 wheel drive be switched into a 2004 AWD GMC 5.3 Savanna 1500

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This is beyond my expertise, but to get the conversation rolling, it's certainly going to involve more than just the transmission... assuming that it's physically compatible with the space.

You're looking to convert an AWD to 2WD?
  • Options
    KennyL65_KennyL65_ Member Posts: 2
    No you have it backwards and yes, we know the other details that will need to be addressed
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2018
    Unless I'm missing something, the one transmission is a 4L60e and the Express uses a 4L80e, and despite the similar numbers, they are very different transmissions. They are controlled differently and even have a different number of bolts going into the engine. If the oil pans are a different shape, then you know you don't have the same transmission in both vehicles.

So, without being completely sure, I'm going to say no.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    And those transmissions are computer controlled, right? So the computer likely would not properly control the older RWD transmission.

Go to car-parts.com and enter the data for your current vehicle. They will list all the interchangeable other GM transmissions and the vehicles they can be switched from.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The 4L80e is also a lot larger, so even if you wanted to plug it into a vehicle that used to use both transmissions, you'd need to modify the driveshaft. If it's going into a vehicle than never used it, then you're probably going to have to modify the entire transmission tunnel.

Another problem is that the 4L80, if plugged into the engine of the recipient truck, is going to have less overdrive and tighter gearing, so you'll end up with high RPMs at highway speeds.