Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Super deals on 2018 Passats - or are they?

CraigimassCraigimass Member Posts: 1
edited September 2018 in Volkswagen
Hello all,
It's fall 2018 and I noticed the leftover 2018 Passats are being heavily (20% or more) discounted.....looking at an SEL Tech for perhaps 24K or even less.

Of course, it's easy to ask "should I buy".....but here is the background. I had a 2010 Passat (German made) which I just sold with 122K. I loved it...big time. Very few problems. However, when VW dropped diesels and then cheapened the car for USA, I think they removed some of the "soul"......but maybe they've put some back in.

I am looking for as many safety features as I can get - so the upgraded headlights and all included in the tech please me. I know it's not the top "sport driver" and, in fact, my wife drove one yesterday and said it's a step below (in feeling) my 2010.

But I am a value guy....I have the money for "better" cars like a Camry Hybrid or Accord Ex-L hybrid, but the difference here is close to 10K when all is compared. The warranty is a big deal also since I will be putting only 9K or so on it each year, so having the longer time and mileages is a plus.

Other than what is obvious (fit, finish, driving, etc.), is there anything about this car that makes it not a good bargain at that price level? Will the VW tech (being German and American) give me trouble? Is the Tiptronic a decent tranny that will last 100K+ miles easily.....and is the 2.0T pretty much the same one that was in my 2010? Or was the whole car cheapened too much for their price reduction hopes in the USA?

No need to answer all my questions...just wondering if it will give me the same trouble free service at least up to 80-100K as my former model did......and the price/value compared to Camry and Accord (I could go with a mid-level of either instead of hybrid and be about 28K with some tech)

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    VW has been making cars all over the world, for a long time.

Can't vouch for longevity in a current vehicle, but I have a friend who leased two VW CCs, back to back, and now leases a 2016 Passat (the new body style), and he loves it. It doesn't have quite the power of the old 2.0 engine, but it still feels pretty "german". He only has a 1.8 litre engine.

At 9000 mile/year, seems doubtful you'll have to worry about getting 100K out of the transmission. But, almost every transmission lasts 100K+ miles, presently.

I think the Passat is a great buy at that level of discount.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,311
    I'll add my .02.

I don't have a Passat, but am currently leasing a 2016 Jetta. 1.4T, 6-speed automatic, SE trim. I've had the car two years and 12,000 miles and I really, really like it.

The Jetta, like the Passat, was "Americanized", but I still feel like it has more soul than the Elantra GT I leased before the Jetta.

I've also driven the latest model Jetta, and it's amazing. SEL trim level, and it's loaded. I believe my friend paid something like $22-23K for it (before taxes, etc.). A whole lotta car for the money.

I'd endorse the Passat, with the new detuned 2.0T engine, and the longer warranty.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    benjaminhfbenjaminhf Member Posts: 42

Hello all,
    It's fall 2018 and I noticed the leftover 2018 Passats are being heavily (20% or more) discounted.....looking at an SEL Tech for perhaps 24K or even less.

Of course, it's easy to ask "should I buy".....but here is the background. I had a 2010 Passat (German made) which I just sold with 122K. I loved it...big time. Very few problems. However, when VW dropped diesels and then cheapened the car for USA, I think they removed some of the "soul"......but maybe they've put some back in.

I am looking for as many safety features as I can get - so the upgraded headlights and all included in the tech please me. I know it's not the top "sport driver" and, in fact, my wife drove one yesterday and said it's a step below (in feeling) my 2010.

But I am a value guy....I have the money for "better" cars like a Camry Hybrid or Accord Ex-L hybrid, but the difference here is close to 10K when all is compared. The warranty is a big deal also since I will be putting only 9K or so on it each year, so having the longer time and mileages is a plus.

Other than what is obvious (fit, finish, driving, etc.), is there anything about this car that makes it not a good bargain at that price level? Will the VW tech (being German and American) give me trouble? Is the Tiptronic a decent tranny that will last 100K+ miles easily.....and is the 2.0T pretty much the same one that was in my 2010? Or was the whole car cheapened too much for their price reduction hopes in the USA?

No need to answer all my questions...just wondering if it will give me the same trouble free service at least up to 80-100K as my former model did......and the price/value compared to Camry and Accord (I could go with a mid-level of either instead of hybrid and be about 28K with some tech)

Motor Trend gave a mixed review for the 2018 Passat...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/passat/2018/2018-volkswagen-passat-first-test-review/

"....On the highway, plenty of outside noise seeps into the cabin, and handling at higher speeds only seems to get sloppier. The Passat handled fine during normal highway driving, but I almost never took a long, sweeping highway curve fast—it was a little scary (even in the GT). The more affordable, subcompact Honda Fit Sport hatchback and full-size Toyota Avalon Touring sedan I reviewed earlier this year both provided more confidence during high-speed maneuvers. The dated VW platform also demonstrates its age gap during stop-and-go driving. And when the engine hits a certain low rpm, it emits a vibration throughout the entire car along with an annoying droning sound...."