Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2012 Impreza Overcharged Battery - Explosion Risk?

jbravo777jbravo777 Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Subaru
Hi Everyone,

I made the stupid mistake of leaving my (somewhat discharged) battery to charge for 3 hours at 15Amps. The charger showed 99% capacity, and I could hear a "boiling" sound coming from the battery.

I understand that the battery may be lost, but I am more worried about safety now. Is there still risk of explosion if I disconnected the charger? Is it safe to try and start the car, or will that cause the vapors inside the battery to explode?

I am really concerned, any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
JB

Comments

  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    You should be OK unless you fried the battery.

    Batteries can explode violently if a spark get near one that is being charged or is making that "boiling"
    sound o let it sit for awhile and make sure you don't make a spark around it.

    If seen and heard this happen and it isn't pretty!
  • Thank you for the very prompt and helpful answer!
  • jimguyjimguy Posts: 1
    HELLO EVERYONE....A VENTED BATTERY WITH CAPS....AS IT CHARGES...THE CHEMICAL REACTION PRODUCES VERY HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE & DANGEROUS BREATHING GAS ...HYDROGEN SULFIDE ....MANY NEW BATTERIES ARE " SEALED" WHILE THEY PRODUCE THE SAME GAS...IT IS NOT VENTED...ALWAYS SHUT YOUR CHARGER OFF...BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY CHARGING CABLES...ANY TYPE BATTERY ...
Sign In or Register to comment.