Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Eco On/Off

chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
Several months ago. I tried to find out some Info about the Fuctionality/Purpose of the ECO on/off modes available on the Sante.
The 2010 Owners Manual barely mentions it and the Forum generated
minimal input even though we all stare that little Green light constantly.

My question is " What difference is supposed to happen when the mode is changed and " What mode do YOU use and WHY " ?
I first learned about it when my Service Manager recommended turning it OFF for better Transmission Shifting. It did nothing in that regard so
WHAT is your and everyone elses take on this feature ?

Comments

• jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2011 Santa Fe 4 cyl, and the owners manual says that when the ECO light is on we are "driving for economy". I've noticed that the only time the light of off is when the vehicle is in reverse, neutral, manual (or Sportronic..whatever Hyundai calls the manual shift mode), park, and idling at a traffic light for more than a few seconds. Even under hard acceleration (auto shifting at 5k RPM) the light stays on. I hardly consider THAT driving for economy.

I was hoping that it would function like the economy "gauges" in the Honda CR-Z (the entire dash hue transitions from green to red in real time) and Ford Fusion Hybrid (vine grows and loses leafs).

Hyundai should have saved the money they spent on engineering this stupid light and kept the dual exhaust from the 07-09 SF.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    I have checked the average MPG in both the ECO On and ECO Off modes and found the mileage to be practically the same.
    Actually I found out about the ECO function when a Service Advisor suggested changing it to Off for a more favorable Transmission action.
    That didn"t happen either.
    Meantime, don't fret about doing away with the Dual's. You will save yourself a ton of Money when it gets time to replace them.
    Since the latest Transmission Computer Update did not do away with the 2nd to 3rd BUMP, I decided to revert back to the ECO OFF mode.

Well the BUMP still is with us but my gas mileage has improved.
    We had been averaging 21 mpg for city driving and the past month we're hangin @ 23+

No one has come forward to enlighten me about the ECO ON vs OFF function during the past 6 months but mine is staying OFF as long as the MPG's stay improved.

2010 Sante Fe Limited, AWD V6
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    The light also turns off at 78 mph. Out here the speed limits are 80 mph, which means everyone goes 85. And I have not noticed any difference in driving with the Eco selected on or off.
    2010 SF 4 cyl.
  • santafe999santafe999 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    We have 2011 Santa Fe 2.2lt. 4x4 automatic. We find that when you put the ECO light on (near the gear stick) it governs the engine and we do get more mpg. However, when towing we find we need to turn the light off, because the engine revs and it feels as it if's not got enought power. But with the light off - it sails away with the van on, and you almost forget it's towing.
    THIS DOES NOT affect the little green light you get on the dash to tell you when you are in ECO mode. We find this only comes on when we are on the motorway and keeping a steady pace (both towing & not). I think this green light is just to let you know that you are driving economically.

We once had a Reliant Realto (3 wheeler) and it had a little dial on the dash with a needle and a green half and a red half (a bit like an old battery monitor) and that went into the red from starting up, the only time it went into the green was when you went down hill. It really used to crease us up with laughter (a dangerous item in that vehicle) but whenever you went out you had a laugh.

Unlike the VW campervan we had for a short time - that made you cry - you could see the petrol guage going down, whenever you did more than 50m.p.h.
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I just bought a Santa Fe and reading the manual it seems to me that turning the ECO mode on or off does not affect anything about the engine or transmission. Its not really a "mode" its really just an indicator.

For example if you area at a stop light and the light changes you floor the gas pedal the ECO light will go off because you are not driving in an efficient manner. On the other hand if when the light changes you accelerate smoothly to cruising speed the green light will stay on.

Turning off the ECO mode doesn't mean the vehicle is less efficient - you are just turning off the indicator.
    edited December 2011
    Nobody knows much about ECO ON/OFF --- barely mentioned in your owners manual. My inquiry about it many months ago generated about 2 responses.
    We had more today than in the last 6 months.

Anyhow, as I divulged 6 months ago, a Service Adviser @ Cochran Hyundai in Pittsburgh, PA told me I would probably prefer driving in the ECO OFF mode when I complained about how transmission shifted. What a crock !

As you stated, it tells when you are when driving efficiently, and backs off when you leave it in 1st gear too long, and/or over accelerate. Also, I have noticed that it's difficult to reach 6th gear if ECO is OFF. I'm not sure why.
    Might as well just enjoy the little Green Light.
  • geobcongeobcon Member Posts: 11
    Page 1 0f 2

Chronological events with 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SE AWD re MPG and other related problems.

Calculated
    Date: Mileage: Action: Gallons: MPG:

12/06/11 3703 Tank fill 10.01 19.0

12/12/11 3811 Tank fill 5.67 19.04
    (Odometer MPG went to 30 MPG at fill then fluctuated down to 19.04 on trip)

12/19/11 4017 Tank fill 11.84 17.4
    (Odometer MPG went up to 35 MPG at fill then fluctuated down to 19.4).
    In addition, the indicator light for AWD lock came on (not having been activated) The car was parked and engine stopped for about 4 hours. The engine was then restarted and the indicator light was off. The ECO
    Indicator is on thru out the MPG fluctuations indicating car is operating in an “economical” mode. No other signal lights were on.

12/22/11 4205 Tank fill 8.2 22.9
    (Odometer MPG had gone to 25 MPG until about ½ tank then went back to 19.5 and stayed until filling on 12/27/11)

12/27/11 4494 Tank fill 13.84 20.9
    (Odometer MPG reset after tank filling and in 5 miles went up to 24MPG and resettled down to 19 MPG

Page 2 0f 2

12/28/11 4590 Tank fill 4.42 21.7
    Tank filled prior to trip to New Haven. Odometer MPG went up to 29 MPG then back to 25.0 MPG en route.
    12/30/11 4762 Tank fill 7.91 21.7
    Tank filled in New Haven. Odometer MPG vacillated again and settled down around 19 MPG

01/02/12 4955 Tank fill 8.7 22.9
    Again, Odometer MPG reset at fill up and rose to 27 MPG and at present, has decreased to 20.0 MPG

In all the above cases, the ECO light is on which supposedly is indicative that the vehicle operation is within limits of conservative driving.

The dealer cannot ofer any advice as to why the degradation. Has anyone else exprienced similar problems and if so, were they corrected?
  • geobcongeobcon Member Posts: 11
    Page 1 0f 2

Chronological events with 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SE AWD re MPG and other related problems.

Calculated
    Date: Mileage: Action: Gallons: MPG:

12/06/11 3703 Tank fill 10.01 19.0

12/12/11 3811 Tank fill 5.67 19.04
    (Odometer MPG went to 30 MPG at fill then fluctuated down to 19.04 on trip)

12/19/11 4017 Tank fill 11.84 17.4
    (Odometer MPG went up to 35 MPG at fill then fluctuated down to 19.4).
    In addition, the indicator light for AWD lock came on (not having been activated) The car was parked and engine stopped for about 4 hours. The engine was then restarted and the indicator light was off. The ECO
    Indicator is on thru out the MPG fluctuations indicating car is operating in an “economical” mode. No other signal lights were on.

12/22/11 4205 Tank fill 8.2 22.9
    (Odometer MPG had gone to 25 MPG until about ½ tank then went back to 19.5 and stayed until filling on 12/27/11)

12/27/11 4494 Tank fill 13.84 20.9
    (Odometer MPG reset after tank filling and in 5 miles went up to 24MPG and resettled down to 19 MPG

Page 2 0f 2

12/28/11 4590 Tank fill 4.42 21.7
    Tank filled prior to trip to New Haven. Odometer MPG went up to 29 MPG then back to 25.0 MPG en route.
    12/30/11 4762 Tank fill 7.91 21.7
    Tank filled in New Haven. Odometer MPG vacillated again and settled down around 19 MPG

01/02/12 4955 Tank fill 8.7 22.9
    Again, Odometer MPG reset at fill up and rose to 27 MPG and at present, has decreased to 20.0 MPG

In all the above cases, the ECO light is on which supposedly is indicative that the vehicle operation is within limits of conservative driving.

The dealer cannot ofer any advice as to why the degradation. Has anyone else exprienced similar problems and if so, were they corrected?
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I defer to those more experienced than myself, but I think it was established in another thread that the MPG resets at every fill up. Mine certainly does - and it does jump around a bit until you've driven a while. It is averaging the MPG over time so it takes a while to settle. I think that's perfectly normal behavior. But I am not sure how the MPG is begin calculated. I've checked mine against the trip odometer at fill ups and it is generally accurate.
  • miggynoron15miggynoron15 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not an expert in the matter, but maybe this link could confirm some of the info already mentioned above:

http://www.guelphhyundai.com/guelph-hyundai-blog/hyundai-active-eco/

Hope it helps.
  • fredo710fredo710 Member Posts: 1
    Quelq'un pourrais me dire si il y a une difference entre
    1) le bouton eco drive ( vers le levier de vitesse ) et
    2) la fonction au tableau de bord eco driving on/off sur le tableau de bord ??
    Est-ce que les 2 sont liés ??

Et effectivement cette lumiere verte au tableau de bord disparait des qu'on commence a taper dans les tours (vers 3000trs/mn) et revient des qu'on recommence a avoir une conduite plus souple.
    Mais moi pour les :s economies de carburant j'ai opter pour le boitier electronique qui me fait economiser 1l a 1.2l au 100 klm
  • M4ntxsM4ntxs Member Posts: 1
    Eco mode just limits the amount of power and acceleration your engine produces, up to a certain speed (80mph i believe).

Its best to leave it off honestly, you never know when u'll need to speed up to avoid something and having your eco on is only going to hinder that.

But if you have a heavy footed child maybe turn it on for them so they dont drive up your mpg.