Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can I use the equity in my leased car towards the purchase of my leased car?

anninohioanninohio Member Posts: 6
edited October 2018 in Honda
I am at the end of my lease on a honda pilot. my res value is $24,308 and my trade in value is $28,408 with only 24,000 miles out of the alloted 36,000. This leaves me with approx $4000 in equity. I know i can apply equity towards a new lease or towards purchase of a new car, but I can't find any info regarding whether or not the dealer from who I leased the car will allow me to use that equity to purchase the leased car I've been driving (pringing my purchase price down to about $20,000)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    anninohio said:

I am at the end of my lease on a honda pilot. my res value is $24,308 and my trade in value is $28,408 with only 24,000 miles out of the alloted 36,000. This leaves me with approx $4000 in equity. I know i can apply equity towards a new lease or towards purchase of a new car, but I can't find any info regarding whether or not the dealer from who I leased the car will allow me to use that equity to purchase the leased car I've been driving (pringing my purchase price down to about $20,000)

Thanks!

Nope... the only way to realize equity in a vehicle is to sell it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Darn☹️
  • Options
    Would they cut me a check for the $4000 in equity if I walk away from the car and don't buy or lease from the dealership where i leased the car from? Or is the equity only usable if I use it towards a new lease/new car purchase?
  • Options
    anninohio said:

Would they cut me a check for the $4000 in equity if I walk away from the car and don't buy or lease from the dealership where i leased the car from? Or is the equity only usable if I use it towards a new lease/new car purchase?

You have to sell the car (by trading it in) to realize any equity.
    You don't necessarily have to sell it to the dealership you leased from.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you. Can you also please tell me the MF and residual for a 2018 honda pilot ex-l for the zipcode 44120?
  • Options
    anninohio said:

Thank you. Can you also please tell me the MF and residual for a 2018 honda pilot ex-l for the zipcode 44120?

AWD?
    36/15
    .00100 MF and 57% residual
    $1300 incentive

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes AWD. Also, forgive the stupid question, but can you explain the ratio and the incentive in a few words? Thank you!
  • Options
    anninohio said:

Yes AWD. Also, forgive the stupid question, but can you explain the ratio and the incentive in a few words? Thank you!

The incentive is extra Honda-to-dealer money on this model.
    The money factor is a substitution for interest rate, expressed as a decimal to ease calculation in the lease payment formula.
    The residual percentage is a percentage of the vehicle's MSRP, to set a lease end value.

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/12602/general/x/how-to-calculate-monthly-lease-payments

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you!