Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza Towing

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
Discuss towing with your Venza here!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    has anyone purchase and or installed either a four or five wire trailer kit for their trailer? I am getting rid of my 2002 highlander and want to make sure that the venza will be able to take on trailering my boat. any trailering experience would be appreciated.

also a note to the moderators: can we start a trailering with venza thread. thanks. rr70
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems like towing would include trailering questions. Similar discussions would overlap and confuse people about where to post. So feel free to ask in here. Thanks!
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    can email me for more info
    robmillcan@netscape.net

Have a 2009 Venza with touring package 20 in wheels etc.
    I pull a small utiltiy trailer (max 550 pounds) to camp and back.
    I loose about 8 to 10 miles per gal going at 60mph
    AND THE TRANSMISSION CONSTANTLY SHIFTS BACK AND FORTH INTO THE TOP 2 GEARS.
    This drives me crazy. Very poor set up for a veh with 6 cy and awd and a tow rating of 3500 pounds
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...CONSTANTLY SHIFTS BACK AND FORTH...."

SOP....!

All the new 6(10) speed automatics give this feeling of too much "shiftiness". They're trying to emulate a CVT in order to get the best FE, probably worse with a "tow".

Some marques are providing a reflash that adds a slight hysterisis effect, "don't shift again to soon", to the control firmware.

In the meantime using CC as much as you can seems to help.
    still considering a 6 cyl venza. spoke with a friend who purchased a honda pilot, and he tows a boat/trailer at about 3400 lbs. he has same complaint. constant shifting up and down from top gear. sounds like they all have this problem. anyone else on this board tow with a venza?
    i wanted to track messages on this thread
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Problem..?

No.

Just a 6(10) speed automatic transmission programmed this way, "dithering", in an attempt to get the fuel economy of a CVT.
    just following up on my prior e message. if anyone has wired up their venza for trailier towing, please comment on kit used, ease of wiring, and if they had to run a power line from the rear of the car to the battery. thanks, rr70
    Has anyone installed a trailer wiring harness to their venza. I need to do it, and I would like some advice. Thanks. RR70
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2013
    Regarding hunting between the top two gears while towing, one should not be towing in D (drive). You should be towing in manual mode where you can shift to gear 5 and leave it there. Note that when driving with the car in manual mode, it will still downshift and upshift automatically UP TO the gear you have indicated. Think of the manual gear indicator as a "maximum gear" indicator (although, if you run it up to redline, it's going to override that as well and shift). But back to towing...

I tow a lot and by shifting to manual and running in 5th, you avoid the constant shifting between 5th and 6th. That constant shifting is very hard on a transmission. 5th and 6th gears are fairly tall gears and so the engine doesn't have the power to lug a trailer in only 6th gear, so it will downshift to 5th quite easily while towing. By towing in a lower gear, that puts the engine higher in the powerband (more rpm and more hp).

Towing in a lower gear is a normal part of towing, but may be a new concept to those that have not done much towing. Next time you are out, give it a try and you'll be pleasantly surprised. And no, you are not going to "over rev" your car by towing in 5th. The rpms will be higher, but well within normal driving range (unless you are towing at 85+ mph which isn't advised anyway).

A note on the towing mpg. When not towing and driving 65 mph, I will normally get 25+ mpg with my 2009 V6 AWD. When towing about 1500 lbs (trailer weight plus the cargo it's carrying), I'll get about 16 mpg at 65 mph. Reduced gas mileage when towing is just part of towing. I'll take the 16mpg as my previous 2003 truck got less than 14mpg when towing this same load and then 18 mpg when not towing and driving 65mph (and only 15mpg at 75mph).

I tow almost every weekend; either a 600 lb aluminum trailer or a 1,000 lb steel trailer and cargo consisting of two or three dual sport motorcycles, or an ATV and motorcycle, or a couple snowmobiles. I just love the way it tows and we usually take my car over my girlfriends 2001 Toyota 4Runner because the Venzas V6 and 6 speed tranny easily outpulls her V6 and 4 speed!

Interestingly, my venza weighs 400lbs more than her 4runner, has way more interior room (head room, hip/shoulder room, and cargo room) and gets way better mileage doing it. We only take the 4runner if the terrain is going to be very rugged and we may need to be able to lock in 4x4 or need steep approach angles...although I've driven some very steep and rugged forest service roads in the Venza and, unless approach angle or traction becomes an issue, it is very capable. My only wish has been a way to lock the Venza into even 50/50 4x4 rather than the rear grabbing only AFTER the front looses traction and spins.
  • michgpan77michgpan77 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    commenting on a old post here.
    i own a 2012 venza base model with a factory tow rated package for 2500 lbs.
    4 cyl 2.7 litre 1AR-FE engine 6 speed trans. FWD.

I tow at my limit of 2500 lbs with no issues.
    Electric brakes on my light weight RV trailer.
    Weight dist and anti-sway bar installed at the RV dealer.
    Curt hitch and light connector kit.
    KN air filter.
    Extended mirrors.
    Early oil changes during towing season.

Although I am within toyota limits, i must say that this car is excellent as a towing vehicle. Stable, fuel efficient and responsive horsepower. Large interior storage space.

Been towing RVs for years and i make safety a priority.
    Newer tires on both RV and the venza.

I drive in S mode in 4th or 5th gear depending on the speed.
    Hills climbs or descends are always taken moderately.

I wish I owned the 6 cyl some days but the 4 cyl and 6 speed combo is not a weak arrangement.
    I agree with the toyota rating of 2500lbs. No more than that.
    As the manual and dealer specifies, the GCWR includes an additional 900 lbs in the venza (passengers & cargo) while towing the 2500 lbs behind the car.

When it comes to hill climbs, the 6 cyl will benefit the haul, but otherwise the same braking, stability and control is very good in a venza base w/ towing package.

Its been very reliable. I presently have 4 toyotas in my driveway and am a loyal owner. A highlander or 4 runner may make its way to my ownership in the next few years but whats the rush ? The venza delivers and am very happy.

mich