Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine auto stop/start feature

lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
edited October 2018 in Buick
Hello all.

Can anyone tell me in the 2019 Buick Enclave has the engine auto stop/start feature which shuts off the engine when you come to a full stop? And if so, can you tell if if there is a disable button?

I have leased two Buck Enclaves and two GMC Acadias over the past 10 years or so. My 2017 Adacia Denali lease is ending soon, and I am thinking of getting a 2019 Enclave. I have test driven some other vehicles over the past few weeks, and I am not a fan of the engine auto stop/start feature. I heard the 2019 Buick Envision now as a disable button for the engine auto stop/start feature. I was hoping the Enclave has one too. I emailed the sales person at my local dealership, and he said he didn't think there was a disable button.

If anyone has any information of experience, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    From what I've read, yes, the Enclave will have stop/start. If you search around the 'Net, you may find aftermarket disabling devices.
  • SWFSWF Member Posts: 59
    Better get use to it. All the new models have it and some you can't turn off. And by turning off I mean for that particular driving period.
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    I'd be fine with pressing the disable button each time you start the vehicle.

Looking online, I see articles about the 2019 Envision having a disable button (such as this article
    https://www.carprousa.com/2019-buick-envision-power-tech-lower-price). But I can;t find anything that says the Enclave will have a disable button. Sales Rep says he doesn't think it has one. I'm hoping he's wrong.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't think GM allows disable in general, but I think some Ford's do.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited October 2018
    I saw an ad for a disable unit for the Malibu which would disable at each start. It had to be wired into the computer system. That would likely disable the warranty coverage.

Most of the simpler disable setups use the idea that the hood switch blocks the stop-start operation. However, if the hood switch is disabled, so is the remote start.

Mine is sensitive to how much pressure is used on the brake pedal at the time the car comes to a stop. So I let up on the brake pressure just as I finish the roll. That keeps the brake sensor below the 27 or 28% level which is one requirement for the stop-start.

Another is if the HVAC is calling for heating or AC at a great difference between the sensed temperatures and the requested temperatures (automatic system in Malibu). My wife likes it colder so in AC her half is requesting AC even if mine is not because it's close to temperature. Same for heating--I have mine set higher and the car wants to be able to heat. That keeps the stop-start from operating much, if any on some drives.

I also keep the AC on yellow light which means higher comfort than the green or ECO setting. So that keeps the system from operating as often, although it may.

I think people become obsessed with the idea that they need to prevent stop-start. It's rarely intrusive. It is like my wife who hates that medical and other offices call to remind of appointments.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    To all,

Thanks for the replies. FYI, I test drove a 2019 Buick Enclave this past week. It has the engine stop/start feature, but there is no disable button. Hopefully GM will add the disable button for the 2020 model year. And if I'm making my wish list... it would be great if they also offered a tan interior color option - as I am not a fan of the Chestnut color, and I'm tired of getting a black interior. If they made those two changes, they'd have a sale of a 2020 Buick Avenier to me :-)