Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    space115 said:

I like that this the Subaru Legacy has the Eyesight feature. Having leather seats is important to me for hygiene purposes, too, because of the work that I do. Cars with less miles are going for $20,000 - it's more than what I hope to spend. The dealer said that there's a $2,000 warranty that I could purchase to cover anything under the hood. It's valid for 2 years. Whether I get a 30k mile car or a 100k mile car, I would still get this warranty.

Edit: I'm doing a search. It seems like most Subaru Legacys with 30k miles are selling for at least $19,000 and those with over 60k miles are going for $16,000. 80k miles car depreciate to $15,000. The Subaru dealer said that they do not buy cars with 140k miles, but they have a wholesaler who would buy the car 2 to 3 years later even if it has 140k miles on it. She said they would be willing to buy it for $7,000 to $9,000 depending on the condition of the car and how well it has been taken care. Doesn't it all balance out to be about the same depreciation? If I get a 30k mile car at $19,000 now, I'd lose $3,000 to $4,000 2 to 3 years later if it's between 60k to 80k miles. Seems like my loss would be the same with the 100k mile car, too, if I'm thinking about it correctly. I read an article on Edmunds that cars depreciate at the same rate between 50k to 100k miles and 100k to 150k miles.

A 30k mile car will cost you less in maintenance and potential repairs (warranty might only cover major specific components) over 2-3 years than a 100k mile car. So even though depreciation might be the same (assuming the dealer can somehow predict the future with a guaranteed trade in value 2-3 years down the road), you might still end up paying more out of pocket for cost of ownership.

Like kyfdx said, a dealer hinting as to what a car is worth in 2-3 years is specualation and meaningless. I'm a dealer and would never quote a future value as there are so many factors that affect it:
    -mileage
    -cosmetic condition
    -accident history
    -maintenance and mechanical work needed
    -overall market and availability of similar models

These are factors that are impossible to predict months from now let alone years from now.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    space115 said:

Here's the Carfax. I thought it seemed like the car was well-taken car of. Clean title, too. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=4S3BNBN66G3014531&partner=DCG_0r It's my first time getting a car. And I've been told to be careful of dealers in general. On the other hand, if the car isn't well-maintained, would the Subaru dealer bother to put in a brand new transmission (not rebuilt or remanufactured, but brand new that comes with a 12-month warranty) in a 100k mile car? Transmission isn't cheap for them. I tried negotiating for $12,500, but the dealer's manager wouldn't go for it.

This car might work out for you as transportation. But then again it might not.

But as everyone here seems to say, you can't count on the resale value.

If you want complete reliability, as well as complete certainty on resale value, you might consider this lease offer from Subaru on the all-new 2019 Forester which is getting very good reviews....

"Lease a new 2019 Forester for $265/Month
    Now through October 31, 2018 Lease a new 2019 Forester for $265/Month on a 36-Month Lease (Standard Forester model, code KFB-01). $1,765 due at lease signing. $0 security deposit."

https://www.subaru.com/special-offers/index.html?model=FOR

You might even decide at the end of the lease you want to keep it.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Well, this one just had all the wear items done. A lower mile unit, wouldn’t. I don’t think it means it was abused, just that it hit the miles where that stuff was due.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    stickguy said:

Well, this one just had all the wear items done. A lower mile unit, wouldn’t. I don’t think it means it was abused, just that it hit the miles where that stuff was due.

New transmission, and all that done at one time?

My first impression is that someone bought it, and drove it until it quit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The trans as probably because a cvt is not, well, great. Timing belt is a service interval item.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    benjaminh said:

space115 said:

@stickguy: Thank you for your input. Do you know if there's any truth to what the dealer said about how the car resale value would be $7,000 if I hit the 180k miles mark and as long as I don't hit it, I can resell it for no less than $10,000? I know that I would definitely not hit the 180k miles mark in 2 or 3 years. I guess I'm just looking for some kind of reassurance that the resale value would be no less than $10,000 like the dealer said if I put in no more than say 10,000 miles on it within 2 or 3 years.

If a smaller vehicle will do, Hyundai will lease an Elantra for c.$180 a month:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/special-offers.aspx

I hate it how leases are advertised like "Just $179 a month!" when there's a big up-front payment--in this case $1999. That makes the actual monthly payment closer to $235/month, not factoring in the time value of money. Some leases are a lot worse on the up-front payment, though. I don't like the idea of plunking down money up front on a lease. So I always get "sign-and-drive" leases, or at worst pay only the first payment up front.

I agree with those who've said that there's better buys out there for $13,000 than a Subaru with 100k miles on it--even if it has a new transmission with a 12-month warranty. For example, I just did a search and found a 2013 Impreza Limited with 52k miles and a lifetime powertrain warranty at a local dealership for $14k. And a 2015 Forester Premium with 40k miles for $12.9k. There's others in this same price range with similar miles.
  • space115space115 Member Posts: 10
    I decided against buying the Subaru Legacy. Took it to an independent car mechanic. Transmission fluid was leaking. Dealer did get it fixed up, but I didn't feel confident buying the car. I also did a longer test drive on it and didn't really like the feel of the car. The steering wheel felt too light and the brake pedal wasn't as sensitive as I'd like it to be. 

I've mostly d
    riven my parents' European cars, not Japanese cars. What are some brands that drive like BMW, but is more reliable? I love the way BMW drives - the heavier steering. I don't mind that the service is more expensive than other brands. What I don't want to deal with is expensive repairs. lol
    not a good sign when a new transmission is leaking, but could just be a minor adjustment (loose clamp or some such). But, with any used car, if you are at all unsure, walk away. There are plenty more out there.

Your European options are limited, especially on a lower budget. And running costs will be higher.

From what you said, I think your best next step is to try out a couple of Mazdas. A 3 and a 6. Japanese, but easily the most "Euro" feeling of the choices, and more affordable to buy and maintain.

edited October 2018
    space115 said:

....I love the way BMW drives - the heavier steering. I don't mind that the service is more expensive than other brands. What I don't want to deal with is expensive repairs. lol

If you don't want repairs, I suggest you buy or lease a new car. If I may ask, what big city are you located in or near? You might consider a 2019 Civic Sport, which has an msrp of c.$22k. If you can find a leftover 2018 Acura ILX, they currently have this lease deal....

"$199 Per month for 36 months. $2,499 Total due at signing."

acura.com

But if you love BMWs, maybe consider trying for one of those?

As stickguy said, Mazda is also a good idea.
    edited November 2018
    I'm hoping to spend no more than $12,000 on a used car. I know that servicing for European cars are more expensive - I'm okay with this. I just don't want to deal with expensive repairs. Bimmers, for example, while I love how it drives, tend to require frequent repairs. Lots of Craigslist BMW owners saying that they invested $x,xxx on the car. Some are lucky, though, and didn't need any repairs aside from normal maintenance like oil change.

I don't qualify for leasing cars because I don't have a credit score. Dealers wouldn't even allow me to lease a car if I can pay in full upfront.

Another reservation I have with Japanese cars is that the interior feels "hollow." lol. Anyway, I was thinking of getting a car that has sports mode with simply allow me to have that heavy steering feel. I'm not so worried about features like navigation or backup camera. Those can be easily installed. And I have a Garmin. lol
    you aren't getting a 12K Euro sporty car that isn't likely to need money allocated for repairs. But, if you are careful in shopping you might pull it off.

Try the Mazda. You might be surprised as to how sporty it drives.

Maybe try an Infiniti. It you want a "heavier" driving experience, this could work.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2011-infiniti-g37_sedan-4dr_x_awd-used-18146697.html

this is probably something you would be looking at in your price range. This is particularly low miles.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2011-bmw-3_series-328i-used-18261638.html

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I vote GTI, in that case. You could get a relatively low mileage example for $12k. And upkeep, in my experience, can be reasonable if well looked after.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited November 2018
    If by any chance you can stretch your budget, some VW dealers are selling new 2019 Jettas for c. $14k. This would give you a car with a 6 year 72,000 mile warranty and obviously no worries about repairs for that time.

https://www.alexandriavw.com/inventory/new-2019-volkswagen-jetta-1-4t-s-fwd-4d-sedan-3vwn57bu1km098985

A Jetta is less exciting to drive than a GTI, but if costs are a big concern....with a new Jetta your insurance costs will be lower, your gas mileage will be higher, and because VW has the longest bumper-to-bumper new car warranty your repair costs will be non-existent. Most used cars for c.$12k will have substantial repair and maintenance costs over the next 5 years. A new set of good tires that will likely be needed in the next couple of years for many used GTIs, for instance, will probably cost about $1000. Obviously you are unlikely to need new tires for the next 5 years with a new car, and mostly what you'll be having done will be oil changes. Overall I think you will save money with a new Jetta over getting a used $12k GTI. Just my 2 cents. Again, I realize it's less exciting to drive—but perhaps good enough. Finally, a new Jetta has Apple Carplay/AndroidAuto as standard, something not available on any car built more than about 3 years ago. Unless you are a technophobe, you probably want CarPlay/AA for navigation etc.

http://www.vw.com/
    A 1-2 YO Jetta can be a great buy also.

Thank you all. I will check it out!
  • Zoe2018Zoe2018 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I'm looking for my first car. I prefer a 3 or 4 year-old used car with a low mileage. Midsize. Safety is my top priority. Thank you. I appreciate your suggestion.
    Ideally the budget would be within 12-13,000 OTD. Thank you.
    plenty of options. I assume by midsize, you mean Camry/Accord class of cars?

Those are always options, but you pay a premium. so in your price range, usually you get a couple years older or a lot more miles.

take a look at the Malibu. You can get really good deals on them. safe and reliable. a Nissan Altima can be a good option. Subaru Legacy is a great car and safe, but can be a little pricier.

also, not sure where you are located, but here is an example of what you are probably looking at, at least in a Camry, in your budget.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-toyota-camry-used-18231523.html

Like stick suggested, something domestic like a Malibu or Fusion is going to be your best bang for the buck. Also look at Hyundai Elantra. 
    Alternatively, as someone mentioned earlier in this topic, if you can stretch the budget a bit, you could score a new Jetta for maybe $14.5k-$15k OTD.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Get a Camry.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • JudithJudith Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find the best fit for me. Had the sienna minivan when kids were young then moved on to a BMW X3. Loved the luxury options but found myself missing the automatic doors and all the room of an enclosed truck (when I took the seats out)
    My first priority is sliding doors because I have 2 large dogs and they don’t want to get into the car unless they are sure I’m in it. Second priority is lots of cargo space. I don’t plan to normally have more than 2-3 seats. Third is safe driving in snow - we have a steep driveway. Fourth - I want a quiet ride (aside from the dogs barking) And I’d like all the bells and whistles for the driver - no need for the cabin. Any suggestions for the best choices for my unconventional needs? Is there anything out there other than a minivan? 

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Only minivans come with sliding doors. 
    texases said:

Only minivans come with sliding doors. 

The French beg to differ lol

The French copy nobody. And nobody copies the French!

Definitely minivan. Maybe a Chrysler Pacifica, for the stowaway seats? Unless you insist on AWD, which I guess leaves you with one option, another Sienna. Though a FWD version with snow tires should work just fine.

That Pug makes sense for a city car, don't need much room to open the door.
    Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will consider all the options. Because Camry/Accord seems a bit pricey for me. I did some research on Hyundai sonata.
    The car is a CPO 2016 Hyundai Sonata. 35,640 M. It was a personal lease car before.
    Exterior Color : Shale Gray Metallic
    Interior Color : GRAY
    2.4L I-4 Cyl
    6-SPEED AUTOMATIC WITH SHIFTRONIC
    FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE
    NO accident.

I didn't some research on KBB and still not quite sure if it is a good deal. Thank you. The zipcode is 20601.

Thank you. I appreciate it.
    very good option. I had a 2015, and it was an excellent car.

The price is $13,890. Still beyond my budget.
    most any CPO car s going to be.

a 2014 with reasonable miles should be in it.''

The camry I posted recently is probably a good example of what fits.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-toyota-camry-used-18231523.html

here is a 2014 Sonata (last year of that body style, also a good car). Plenty of these in your budget.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/743151613/overview/

Thank you. I wonder how much room to negotiate with the dealer. The cars in you links look very nice.
    That is actually already really cheap for CPO. They are probably at about break even on it at that price unless they absolutely stole it from the previous owner. 

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Never hurts to ask. Maybe they want it off the lot.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Thank you for all your comments.
    make sure to stop back and let us know what you finally buy!

• NYCWingsNYCWings Member Posts: 10
    Guys I need a little advise. I am looking to buy a used car. SUV to be exact. I'm a bit lost and hesitant since I don't know much about cars and limited money so I want to make a good decision. My last truck was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and honestly no major complaints. Did broke here and there but in general it was ok. My options now are : 
    1.Mitsubishi Montero SPORT 2003 and newer
    2. Suzuki XL-7 2004 Or newer
    3. Honda Pilot 2002 or newer 
    4. Volvo XC90 2003 Or newer 
    5-6-7Explorer or the trailblazer or Axiom by Isuzu 2002 and up 
    None of them newer than 2008 since they would be out of my budget. 
    Leaning to the Pilot if I find the right price then Suzuki followed by the Montero . But reliability is my major and biggest concern since I'm planning on keeping it a while? Please let me know suggestions and or your experience. Thanks

NYCWings said:

Guys I need a little advise. I am looking to buy a used car. SUV to be exact. I'm a bit lost and hesitant since I don't know much about cars and limited money so I want to make a good decision. My last truck was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and honestly no major complaints. Did broke here and there but in general it was ok. My options now are : 
    1.Mitsubishi Montero SPORT 2003 and newer
    2. Suzuki XL-7 2004 Or newer
    3. Honda Pilot 2002 or newer 
    4. Volvo XC90 2003 Or newer 
    5-6-7Explorer or the trailblazer or Axiom by Isuzu 2002 and up 
    None of them newer than 2008 since they would be out of my budget. 
    Leaning to the Pilot if I find the right price then Suzuki followed by the Montero . But reliability is my major and biggest concern since I'm planning on keeping it a while? Please let me know suggestions and or your experience. Thanks

It depends what you plan to use it for.

I'm not familiar with the Monteros but I believe they would be heavy on gas compared to the rest in this group.

The Suzuki XL7 came in two generations. The first ones are fairly simple mechanically, but small if you plan on using all 7 seats. These were basically an extended version of the Suzuki Grand Vitara, which was a compact SUV. They should be pretty decent for light off roading. The newer XL7's came out around 2006/2007 and are a bit roomier but I don't believe they would have as good off road capability as the first generation.

The Honda Pilots have the most car like ride out of the group, and a good combination of space and comfort. They are all 8 seaters. However the Pilots of that era (along with Acura MDX's) had some transmission issues so be aware of that.

Volvo XC90's in my opinion will cost the most to run and most to repair. They have less room than the Pilot and the rear seats are cramped. Many XC90's that I've come across that are priced low have existing issues that the previous (2nd and 3rd) owners didn't want to deal with due to high costs and therefore are looking to offload them now. Controls inside are "different" than most other SUVs and very quirky which may be hard to get used to.

Explorers and Trailblazers can be bought relatively cheap and although they might not be as refined as a Pilot, parts should be readily available at reasonable costs. Explorers might be heavier on gas though than the Pilots.

Hope that helps.

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I agree with boomchek. I'd add that Suzuki & Isuzu have left the US market so parts availability might be more of an issue over time.

Generally speaking, in order I'd go for the Pilot, Explorer, Montero Sport, and then any of the others. This is assuming you're mostly after an AWD SUV but do relatively little offroading. If you do offroad I'd say Explorer, Montero Sport, Suzuki, then the rest.

I owned a V6 Mitsu Galant (should be substantially the same V6 as the Montero Sport) for over 10 years and had no major issues with reliability.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Just based on your list, an Explorer with the 4.6 v8 is going to likely be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain; however, likely the worst one of the list to spend time in. My personal choice would be an XC90 FWD 2.5T. The only common issue with that configuration is the wheel bearings, and that is obviously not a big deal. And, speaking as someone who went from a Pilot to an XC90, it is the nicest vehicle on your list.

• NYCWingsNYCWings Member Posts: 10
    I appreciate guys. Excellent input..so far...Just to clarify off road is really not something I'm planning on doing so not as important, but snow is something I would have to deal with. Also gas consumption it is a concern of course does play a role. The reason I want to get an SUV is more based on room but I don't like minivans with the exception of the Pacifica which is kind of an SUV and minivan at the same time (cheaper too) but I don't trust them at all out of things I have read. 

Based on y'all recommendations I feel a little more comfortable with the Suzuki & the Montero and a bit disappointed at the Pilot if they do in fact have possible transmission problems.

Boom the 7 passenger is not really a biggie plus like you said the newer ones (if I find one) are roomier. I really like the style of that little truck. (Suzuki). I do understand they are not in the US market but willing to gamble

Also the Suzuki and the Montero quoted much lower rates for insurance compared to the Trailblazer (the most expensive) and Explorer. Not sure why is that. Anyone know anything about the Isuzu Axiom? Love the Volvo but my concern with the XC90 is maintainance costs. 

Fushigi I also owned a Galant with mix results. 
    Thank you guys
  • Satforn18Satforn18 Member Posts: 3
    Will be in the market for a new Compact SUV in Spring (baby in Jan!) - Looking at 2019 Toyota RAV4 vs. Honda CRV
    new RAV4 design not out yet (as of last week). But supposed to be very nice. CRV of course is very popular. Hard to go wrong. Look at the Subaru Forester too. Nice option.

• Satforn18Satforn18 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2018
    double post...somehow...OPPS
    I'll be looking at the Rav4 and the CX-5.
    Oh yeah. I just looked at CX5. Very very nice.

• simonebsimoneb Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for a few months now and am finally looking to lease my first car in the next month or so. I like compact SUVs and can afford a monthly payment in the 400-430 range. Location is Los Angeles, CA.

Safety is the biggest need, hoping for emergency braking and rear-view camera features. Possibly more if still in the affordability range. I am still a new driver even in my mid-20s :s

Not sure if this is helpful information, the only car I've driven consistently is a 2010 Lexus RX 350 and I feel very comfortable in it (almost a bit too big for me though). I think this might be out of my price range though.

Any advice greatly appreciated into what make/model might be best for me! And of course any other advice! I'm completely out of my element here.

Thanks
    Mazda CX-5 touring.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited January 2019
    The lease is up on my 2016 Forte5 soon so I started looking for a replacement several weeks ago. I checked out leases on the likes of an Elantra, Forte, Mazda3, Impreza but could find nothing close to the $185/mo. sign-and-drive I got on the Forte5. About the closest I could get is around $215/month for a Forte LXS or Elantra SE. So I decided to go the used route this time. I only need a car for another 3-4 years, and then I'll get a nicer, long-term car for retirement. My goal was to try to stay under $8000, under 70,000 miles, and I had to have Bluetooth. My preference was to buy from a reputable dealer vs. private party. And I wanted a clean title. Wanted a small car--fuel economy and easy to park. Not a lot available in that ballpark; mostly Foci, Fiestas, Sparks, Mirages, Sonics, Versas and Versa Notes, most with more than 70k miles. Also I decided to steer clear of the Focus and Fiesta due to their poor history of reliability. Mirage and Spark are too small; Sonic was OK (my sister has one) but not many out there. Versa Note SV would be ok but again not many out there. And the cars under $8k tend to be black, my least favorite color.

Then I saw an ad for a 2011 Forte EX hatchback at the dealer I leased my Forte5 from. Even though it was black, I decided to take it for a drive. Nice little car, had a moonroof and alloys, was a one-owner with all maintenance done at the dealer and was in great condition. 69k miles. But black. So I passed. A few days later I saw they took the price down to $6,995, and I was tempted. But then I saw another 2011 Forte EX with 67k miles, and it was titanium in color, and loaded--every option I think except leather. Had moonroof, nav, and the Tech package with keyless ignition, auto climate control, fog lamps, and several other goodies. Another one owner, clean CarFax with all maintenance done, also recent new brakes and battery. So I took it for a drive, liked it, haggled a bit, and agreed on $7,315. It had just come in and they had to get it spruced up, so I told them I'd come and get it in a couple of weeks when I returned from a trip. Arranged for 5-year financing with my bank @ 3.35%, and picked up the car last Monday. One of the fog lamps was out, so they replaced that, I signed the papers and drove it home. It has a one-month bumper-to-bumper warranty and two-month powertrain warranty. Also this dealership group gives you a card worth 10 cents off a gallon and $6 "ultimate" washes, for 3 years. I've been driving it all week and really like it. Not quite as solid as my 2016, but it feels more nimble and I'm learning to appreciate the keyless start, which I've never had in anything other than a rental. I know I'll appreciate the moonroof come spring. And I really appreciate my payment being $40 less each month. Just hope the car holds up for about 3 years and 30k miles.
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    edited March 2019
    simoneb said:

Any advice greatly appreciated into what make/model might be best for me! And of course any other advice! I'm completely out of my element here.

Thanks

(Yeah, I'm late. Sue me!)

What I would have done was to visit the local new car shows to assist with narrowing the range of CUVs that you might have been interested in. I visited the DC show a number of years ago to help me figure out what I wanted.

I would have recommended Mazda's products (CX-3, CX-5) because of (this can't be emphasized enough) the driving dynamics infused into the vehicles. I own a Mazda 5, and every quick lane change I make is a little fun. The maneuvers go precisely as you expect, and there's no wobble that has to be compensated against. There are very few vehicles that can do that and not cost as much as a luxury vehicle.

Other than that, I'm hoping that you've found a vehicle that allows you to see as much traffic around you (many vehicles have thick pillars and smaller windows that work against outside visibility), have large rear view mirrors, and (especially if the vehicle is cursed with visibility issues) have sensors and/or cameras that can help you figure out what's around your car while driving.