Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Price and Continued Satisfaction?

laj0217laj0217 Member Posts: 7
edited November 2018 in Hyundai
I am currently shopping for a new car. I test drove the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, and really liked it - it made the short list lol. However, it apparently went through a major remodel, going from 7 to 5 seats, and I do not feel some of the previous discussions will accurately convey OTD price points. What has everyone found to be a fair dealer price or OTD price?

Additionally, this is the first time I have looked at Hyundai. I've driven Toyotas, Hondas, and Acuras in the past. What has been your experience with reliability/repairs for Hyundai, and for those who purchased the 2019 Santa Fe, are you still happy with your decision?

I am also looking at the 2018 Toyota RAV4, but I really liked the additional space in the Santa Fe.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    laj0217 said:

I am currently shopping for a new car. I test drove the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, and really liked it - it made the short list lol. However, it apparently went through a major remodel, going from 7 to 5 seats, and I do not feel some of the previous discussions will accurately convey OTD price points. What has everyone found to be a fair dealer price or OTD price?

Additionally, this is the first time I have looked at Hyundai. I've driven Toyotas, Hondas, and Acuras in the past. What has been your experience with reliability/repairs for Hyundai, and for those who purchased the 2019 Santa Fe, are you still happy with your decision?

I am also looking at the 2018 Toyota RAV4, but I really liked the additional space in the Santa Fe.

Santa Fe
    Santa Fe Sport

Santa Fe XL
    Santa Fe

The 2019 Santa Fe is actually the 2018 Santa Fe Sport
    While the 2019 Santa Fe XL is the 2018 Santa Fe

So, it's the names that have changed, not the vehicles (though, they may have model updates, as well)
    If you want to compare like models, compare the 2018 Santa Fe to the 2019 Santa Fe XL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laj0217laj0217 Member Posts: 7
    I would still be interested on anyone's recent experience - based on previous comment, either the 2019 Santa Fe or the 2018 Santa Fe Sport. OTD price, are you happy with the vehicle? I searched through old posts and I am having trouble finding anything current and relevant.
  • Frinky620Frinky620 Member Posts: 12
    I am in the same boat as you. It is on the short list, though have a hard time committing to this brand. From my research the Santa Fe does not lease well, meaning it typically has a high money factor (interest) and not a great residual % resulting in a high monthly payment. If you are looking to buy, looks like Hyundai is offering 0.0% financing up to 48 months right now (at least in my area). Depending what type of consumer you are this might be attractive to you. I tend to keep my cars well maintained and would plan to keep the car for the next 10 years, so the depreciation is less scary for me - especially if I have the current generation of technology.

I've had a Honda Accord coupe for 10 years and more recently an Audi S4. I have to face the reality that these smaller cars no longer work for my family so I have to get something bigger. The Santa Fe looks attractive to me because it packs all of the high-end features with a (relatively) low price tag. In the Ultimate trim you get heated and ventilated seats, a bigger screen, heads up display, and all of the latest safety items (lane keep, adaptive cruise control, blind spot). It also includes CarPlay and Android Auto which are a must for me. Then you also get the leather, the power lift gate, all wheel drive, and a large panoramic sunroof.

I had looked at a Q5 and you basically have to fully load it to get the same features, which ends up being $55k plus. I believe the Santa Fe can be had for $36k with 0% financing.

Like you I have not been able to find a good discussion about the OTD price for the 2019's. The MSRP for a fully loaded trim is about $40k.. 10% off that is $4k which is why my head is thinking $36k is fair. But there could be another grand or two in there some where.

Dealers near me seem to be offering the Ultimate trim at $36k (though with a million stipulations) so it may be possible to move the price down further still

This is an example that I am seeing:

https://www.fredbeanshyundai.com/new/Hyundai/2019-Hyundai-Santa+Fe-637a3fa00a0e0a174bb89ebf073d66ec.htm

Good luck and let me know how your conversations with the dealerships have been going!
  • laj0217laj0217 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the info. It sounds like a similar thought process for sure, if for different trims. I also hold on to cars until there is duct tape holding them together, so not as concerned with resale (although I do think Toyota wins on that point).

My budget has me looking at the SE base model. It is down to the RAV4 and Santa Fe, so I opted to request quotes for both and see where I got. Currently, my two offers for the Santa Fe are about $1500 over MSRP but are out of the door prices, including sales tax, fees, registration, etc.

One came down on the vehicle price about $1800 off the sticker, and the other, which had a lower sticker price came to about $1400 off sticker. There is about a $1000 difference between the prices, though, so still room to negotiate there :)

For the Toyota, the discount was steeper due to it being a 2018 and the 2019s coming in. There was a discount of $6255 without me really having to negotiate, but due to dealer installed accessories I do not want or need (such as nitrogen filled tires) I got it down an additional $1100 off. I am hoping the local dealership will beat that to keep my business.

Additionally, once I have the local Toyota price, I plan to go back to Hyundai with my numbers and see where I get. If I can get within a $1,000 difference for the OTD cost, I am 95% sure I'll go with the Santa Fe. I just like it more.

We will see! Good Luck in your car buying endeavors, and please share if you get any more information on pricing as well.