Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Hyundai Sonata - Passed Engine Recall Test - Now Engine is Stalling

hyundaisonata2013hyundaisonata2013 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Hyundai
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with about 88k miles on it. I took it in for the engine recall in December of 2017. They said it passed. I was a little worried because my mom has the same car, same year and hers failed and she needed the engine replaced. Today while driving the engine just stalled. No noise, and there were no lights on prior to it stalling. Luckily I was able to pull over. I turned the car off for about a minute and turned it back on and it started running again. I was almost home so I kept going and the same thing happened. Turned the car off and on and it started running again. I was able to get home and I drove up a few hills and around the block to see if it would happen again but it didn't. Sat in the car for a bit with it running to see what would happen but it seemed ok. But now I'm hesitant to drive it. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I take it back to the dealer and ask them to re-test it? I feel like they're going to blow me off since it already "passed." I originally bought the car used with about 12k miles on it and I believe the warranty with pre-owned cars runs out at 60k.

Comments

• HyundaiUSAHyundaiUSA Member Posts: 1
    Based on what you describe we recommend you take your vehicle to the Hyundai dealership nearest you for inspection. You can find the closest dealer here: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/dealer-locator/#90254. You can also contact the Hyundai Customer Connect Center at http://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx, (800) 633-5151 or consumeraffairs@hmausa.com
  • Dwayne1969Dwayne1969 Member Posts: 1
    Had exactly the same issue. Then this week the engine seized while driving and now need to produce 5 years of oil changes to have engine replaced under the 8 year 160,000 km warranty plus we have.
    It is a known issue that the Sonata engine has a defect. We only have 60,000 kms on it.

• NassauNassau Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. Dealer insists I drive 1000 miles, bring it back, they change oil, then repeat 1000 miles. I cannot even drive 50 miles without it stopping. Hyundai has denied my claim after months of phone calls, letters etc. Had 100,000 mile warranty, 2013 Sonata with 83000 miles. I will not buy another Hyundai.