Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Highest mileage 4 Cyl Mazda6

jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
This is my first mazda, and I would like to know what is the highest mileage anyone has attained on a 4 Cyl mazda engine. Preferably the 2.3L since the new 2.5L is almost the same engine. I am trying to determine if this car is worth keeping past the warranty period.

Comments

• Options
    des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    I have 77K on an '05 6i. The service adviser told me of an '03 that had over 110K and counting. The plant has produced tens of thousands on engines over the past seven years. If only a handful fail for whatever reason, you will hear about a couple on the forums, not all the others.
  • Options
    rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Hi jkobty2,
    I have an 07 6i (4 Cyl) 5-door w/ a 5-speed auto and 50,000 miles. I average 23-25 MPG in town weekly mix of driving and I've gotten as high as 29-30.5 MPG in highway driving averaging 70-75 mph.
    I'm very happy with the car.
    Rodman :shades:
  • Options
    That's peachy, but I don't think the original poster was asking about fuel MPG, but rather odometer miles. Nevertheless, I find that on the highway with the cruise on at 70MPH, in the summer, I get 32MPG consistently (5sp manual).
  • Options
    Thanks, des5
    I realize that now. I just assumed MPG. But at almost 52,000 miles, I've been trouble free.
    Rodman :shades:
  • Options
    This thread makes me think of something else I've noticed, which is the dramatic drop in resale prices (equals jump in perceived failure risk) for modern vehicles when they hit 100K mi. Even Hondas seem to suffer from this effect. Back in bad old '60s-'80s, common wisdom put a typical car's end of life around 60-80K, when you would either blow the tranny or the rings. But today, (thanks to the Japanese) cars are designed around a lifespan of 200-250K. I would think that once you get past the "infant mortality" boundary, the odds are excellent that with proper maintenance, one will get nearly the entire design lifespan. Consequently, I expect to drive my 6i to 175K (or more), and I certainly wouldn't feel compelled to trade it just after the warranty.
  • Options
    riswami1riswami1 Member Posts: 33
    I've been told that modern cars go 250k; very few people will keep them that long. You will need to repair the wear items.

We had a 95 Mazda MX-6 that had 216k when we got rid of it. The engine was still real strong and it had the original clutch.

Our 07i Value edition has 26k trouble free miles. I plan on driving it into the ground.
  • Options
    Time for an update: Nearing 82K, still going fine. Dealer suggested a new serpentine belt, so I put it on myself. Three hours later, got it in - this car was designed to be serviced on a lift for everything!
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    this car was designed to be serviced on a lift for everything!

It sure was.

Since manufacturers are building cars that require less maintenance, they make the remaining maintenance items very difficult to do on your own making most people bring them back to the dealer.

On a side note, my 2005 Mazda6 i 5-door mtx has 60,000 trouble free miles and counting.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Most people do not want to do their own maintenance, whether it is easy or difficult. I don't believe there is any diabolical plan to make things hard for the few do-it-yourselfers.
  • Options
    I don't believe there is any diabolical plan to make things hard for the few do-it-yourselfers.

Diabolical or not, since I am in the industry, I can say with 100% certainty that some things are made a bit more difficult to steer people away from doing it their selves, such as the placement of the oil filter, and style it used to be (filter + cartridge). This is done for many reasons, one being that it aids with dealers maintaining the vehicle to ensure quality and builds revenue.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    That is surprising. But why not just put a sticker on the hood saying "no user servicable parts inside" ;):) .
  • Options
    My 2009 Mazda6 manual says to bring the car to the dealer for oil changes. It is the only item it stresses should be done by the dealer regarding the warranty.
    I guess there were too many problems with unqualified people or technicians using the wrong tool to open the filter cap, and breaking it causing a leak that later destroys the engine.
  • Options
    The best way to protect yourself during the warranty period is to have Mazda dealers perform the oil changes. The coupons I get make the cost competitive, and even if its an extra $100 over ten changes in 50K mi, that beats $3500 for a new engine.

Back to the belt, the dealer wanted $125 to change it. On other cars, I've changed the belt in 10min from the top. Belt was $30, and luckily I had a 2' length of large iron pipe that slipped over the open-end wrench to act as a breaker bar on the tensioner.
  • Options
    Right now at 89800 (mi). Just replaced the front pads. The Youtube video was a lifesaver. I did have trouble with the brakeline bracket bolts off the strut towers. The flanges are flimsy and bend (clamp on a Visegrip to secure), the one bolt was near unmoveable, and the other busted off.
    The dealer showed me their "recommended" service list for 90K. Totaled out at $400. Haha. I think NOT!
  • Options
    I've got 62,000 trouble free miles. I'll need to replace the OEM tires soon and will watch for the brake pads needing replacing. Otherwise Ilove my 07 Mazda 6i 5-door. :shades:
  • Options
    It's been 8 months since I last posted mileage. Now at 103888. Switched from the dealer to a private mechanic. He switched me to synthetic oil. Engine seems to consume 1qt every 3K, no leaks or blue smoke. Getting to be time for the third set of tires, new plugs and coolant flush. Otherwise running fine ('05 6i Manual).
  • Options
    boodrowboodrow Member Posts: 15
    Old history but my 1987 626 4 cylinder, stick, and with bare bones options survived 11 interior Alaska winters and was driven in temperatures as low as -63F. I always used synthetic oil, usually mobil1. I sold it in 1998 with 296,000 miles on it when I just got tired of it. It was still running good and looked good. Exhaust manifold had to be replaced once but the engine was never touched other than plugs and fluids.

Most modern cars if maintained should run easily 250,000 with a bit of TLC. I have never sold a car because it was worn out. I sold them because I wanted something newer.
  • Options
    sargon123sargon123 Member Posts: 9
    That's what I did with my old 89 Honda Civic, drove it into the ground with over 237,000 miles, before my wife sold if to our gardner for $200, and it's still going. On the other hand, my '98 Buick Regal - a comfort car which I loved, went into the ground at 77,000 miles or arguably before when we put a new transmission in. Hence, my deep distrust for American auto manufacturers, with the possible exception of Ford. Did GM learn it's lesson over the 50 years preceding their bankruptcy about producing junk. They just didn't seem to know how to produce lasting stuff, and bridled when criticized. Let's hope they have it right now, for the few manufacturing jobs left in the U.S. And I own a 2010 Mazda 6 now, just to be clear.
  • Options
    belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I have a CX-9 (2008). Only have 40,000 miles, but so far zero problems since new. I am looking at a Mazda 6, and test drove one with a manual (6 speed) transmission. Tranny was great - smooth, clutch light etc. Seems to have good power from a 4 cylinder. How do you like your Mazda 6? Any major faults? I have read the radio is not great, but that is about the only complaint I see. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • Options
    yankman04yankman04 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2010 Mazda 6 Touring for about 14 months with 10,000 miles. The 4cyl seemed a bit more powerful when I test drove it, but it is okay. I've had other 4 cyl cars that have been more peppy. Mechanically, the car has been fine, but I'm not too impressed with the quality of the workmanship - the seats, the interior molding, the weight of the doors, bla, bla, bla. I love the way the car looks and drives, but for the value - I recommend my son's car - 2011 Hyndai Sonata - which is cheaper and better made. Be that as it may, the Mazda 6 is a fun car to drive.
  • Options
    knight_ruknight_ru Member Posts: 10
    03 mazda 6i ... 90k miles. No major problems so far. A small hole developed next to my muffler but a patch did the trick. Averaging just over 11k per year so far. The only regret on the car- should have opted for the leather seats.

There are some posters on the forums complaining of blown engines with the first generation car - but I think those have been the 6 cyl engine.

Highway mpg - about 30
    mixed mpg - 24-26
  • Options
    My 2005 Mazda6 i 5-door with 5-speed manual is around 75,000 miles now, trouble free. I bought it 6 years ago this month.

My wife is driving the car now since I have a company car. She does not drive very many miles per year, maybe 10,500-11,000 now. I was driving it almost 14,000-15,000 per year.

She said she has noticed a "bucking" sensation when the fuel gets low. Possible fuel filter/pump problem looming. I need to ask my service guys about it.
  • Options
    keyseekr246keyseekr246 Member Posts: 9
    03 M6i 4 cyl AT and currently at 194K. Overall very happy with the car, still getting about 30-32mpg in the summer with high 20's in the winter. No major problem areas, shock and struts replaced recently, also needed new control arms on the front. Still a bit squeaky in the front end.

Stock stereo is pathetic, but the power drivers seat is one of the better I have on a car, I do ~ 100 miles a day commute, so this is important.

One out of the 2 mufflers did rust off, bit odd for stainless steel at ~ 6-7 year old car at the time.

Currently going thru an issue where the emissions test (IL) will not talk to the computer, so I was hoping to find someone with a similar prob out here.

Overall a good solid car, contrary to some of the other reviews I would say my interior shows very little wear and tear on the buttons. Only complaint inside (other than stereo) would be the headliner that sags and needs to be glued every so often. Not sure when we will call it quits with her, but I should be at 200K by the end of this summer and should keep going if the engine and tranny keep purring along.
  • Options
    Just hit 78,000 KM on my 2009 Mazda6. Only complaint is tire noise from the OEM michelins.
    I was a bit doubtful in the beginning buying a car in its first few months of manufacturing, and made in Detroit, but it has proven to be solid as a rock. Very enjoyable to drive, looks amazing, great on gas. So after 3 years of ownership I can truly say this is one of the best values on the market today. Its strength comes not only from the powertrain, but the chasis and suspension, take a look under the car and compare the suspension setup to any midsize car on the market and you will see the difference. This is a true driver's car. And mine has already crossed the United States North to South twice from Canada to Florida.
  • Options
    lastmazda4melastmazda4me Member Posts: 1
    I have a Mazda6 2.5 n has 77550 miles n engine gave out on me oil light never turned on until that day. :sick:
  • Options
    Just crossed this milestone. I had the coolant Ph rebalanced, power steering fluid flushed and the manual tranny oil replaced with some fancy synthetic RedLine stuff. I expected to feel no difference, but surprisingly there is! The steering feels lighter and the clutch/shifter is smoother. My mechanic says the Ford power steering system is known for gunking up the fluid over time, and the tranny oil is simply better quality than OEM. I recommend both of these fluid changes at 100K or so.
  • Options
    willienicewillienice Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mazda 6 purchased in Alabama with 317,000 miles in August of 2011. It now resides in Wisconsin since Febuary 2012 with 362,000 miles. No check engine light. I do all my own work on it. It still looks good and I will not trade it for anything! #teammazda
  • Options
    kayamorkayamor Member Posts: 1

I just rolled over 93,000 and was coming back from Florida a 5 hour trip and no warning nothing and my motor started knocking really loud. I bought this car from a one person owner and have put some money into it. The oil light did not come on not did the check engine. Now I am a store manager for an auto parts so I know what to do and what not to do. I checked my oil before I got on the road and everything was fine but 3 hours from my house it all went to the crapper. It coated me over $600.00 which is a deal to get my car myself and my 2 children back to Atlanta. So I contacted the dealership to get a price on an oil pump $$$$400.00 and the guy tells me he has never heard of one going out in a Mazda 6 2.3 OK. We cannot figure out the problem after changing the oil pump, bearings, all gaskets and much more the car just is not worth anything else. This was my first Mazda and sooooo disappointed. Normally a Toyota/ Honda girl well going back to it too.

• Options
    sports_momsports_mom Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2008 Mazda CX-9 in 2009 with 30k miles on it. I am still driving it with 171k miles on it. The only work has been on the brakes, rotors, and calipers. I had AC recharged for the first time at 165k miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another high mileage Mazda because my experience has been so good.
  • Options
    KayGolden89KayGolden89 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2011 Mazda 6 in 2013 with 30k miles on it. Rolled over 250k miles today. Aside from routine maintenance I've had no work done. No issues. It's been amazing and I will buy another Mazda in the future.
  • Options
    TanmanTanman Member Posts: 1
    I know this is very late and I have a Mazda 6 and was looking at peoples opinions, I really enjoy mine, it has 267972 on it and the only problem it’s had was 100% my fault cause I was doing way to many burnouts, I had to put a transmission in it, that is also from cherping my gears I need an 02 sensor so my fuel mileage is going down hill but was getting 800kms+ to a tank 
  • Options
    FTW2185FTW2185 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so im at almost 275,000 lets see anyone higher
    07 mazda 6i
  • Options
    Mbarczak529_Mbarczak529_ Member Posts: 1

2016 Mazda 6 350,880 most miles I had on a car ever. Only had to replace breaks tires and alternator and battery. Best car ever! I do courier work in it daily and never lets me down. Going to run it to the wheels fall off