Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Brian had an excellent write-up about the event in post 2300, and my opinion between the cars are spot on with his. This was the first time that I've attended an event like this, and the first time that I've done something similar to auto-x. The event exceeded my expectations.

My wife went and a friend of mine followed us down to Philly. Pulling into the parking lot, I pulled up beside Ed's crystal gray FXT. Very nice! We registered and headed over to the instruction tent. My wife was the only female in this group and I think that we were both getting anxious because we didn't know what to expect.

After the instruction portion my friend, my wife and I were in the same group and we went to the same car. They actually got an AWD Volvo for the performance track. My wife went first (we were in the Volvo) because she "wanted to get it over with". Boom, she took off!! Hit the turn, squealing the tires! She was having a blast! We were all throwing the tail out on the BMW. To paraphrase Ed, "And people like that, why?".

Just before my wife took off on the handling track, an instructor from outside said, "Don't hit any cones!" That jinxed my wife and toward the end of the handling track, she was going too fast and managed to nail a cone and knock down the "SLOW" sign. :-)

I surprised myself and didn't hit any cones, despite driving pretty hard. At the end, I could barely fill out the survey because of the adrenaline rush. My last comment was, "Can't write any more. Too much adrenaline." :-) I took a few pics that I'll try to post within a few days. Subaru needs to do more events like this.

Afterwards, we hit a great Thai restaurant in Lambertville, NJ and met up with Mrs. lark and 'lil lark. 'Lil lark is probably one of the most well- behaved babies that I have ever seen!

-Dennis
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm envious and I'm the one that got to drive a GT first, in Vegas.

Sounds like fun! Wish we had other cars along for comparison, though.

Sweet!

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Thanks, Dennis. Rest assured lil' Lark is too young to have had any manners taught to him, so I guess it's in his genes.

I nicked a cone with one of the S60s as I carried too much speed into a corner and actually plowed it with a front tire. I hung the tail out in a 325 sedan a couple of times but didn't hit anything with it. Two of the three professional drivers praised me for my smoothness behind the wheel, which made me feel pretty good about myself for a while.

It's a no-brainer that RWD is preferable to FWD in spirited driving but, as Dennis quoted me, I can't see why anyone would prefer something tail-happy to something that's as nearly perfectly neutral as the Legacy GT. Watching too many action movies combined with a desire to hone their opposite lock skills, I imagine. When I was a little boy my dream cars were the '64 Porsche 356C Carrera 2 and the '72 911 Carrera RS 2.7, choices which put me a little at odds with my stock-car loving classmates. I imagine if I ever had either I'd have ended up putting it into a ditch more than once.

I'd test driven a 325iX wagon at Killington ski resort a couple of years ago (I was speaking at a conference; I'm not a skiier) and, after driving the 325i wagon, I feel the iX is better balanced - and demands the 3.0-litre six. A 330iX wagon would be a better competitor for the Legacy GT wagon, but would no doubt list at > $40K.

As for the Volvos well, they do make the most comfortable seats in the industry. As with the BMWs, their AWD versions are better balanced. I've driven a V70R before and frankly, that would've been a better competitor performance-wise than the Ride&Drive cars. Again, though, that lists at > $40K.

If the general public was able to do the same type of testing under the same conditions as we did on Saturday, I'm sure Subaru would sell a lot more Legacies. They may not bite into BMW sales but they'd take a healthy chunk out of Volvo's totals. Throw a heavy downpour into the test drive and things would get more interesting still.

Glad you enjoyed lunch, Dennis. We've been going there for almost 15 years and it almost never disappoints.

Ed
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Thanks! Glad you had fun. I wish they had the AWD S60 there for ours, I'm sure it would have fared better than the FWD version.

I believe I was cone free as well. Thought for sure I'd take a couple out with the Legacy in the slalom, I took it very tight.

I loved how I felt right at home in the Subie, especially for not having driven the new Legacy prior to that event.

Hope the Mercedes event is just as fun.

-Brian
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    My son and I were there. We took his Nissan NX 2000, and spoiled the Subaru theme by parking a few spaces away from a silver XT 5 speed w/NJ plates and a gray XT AT w/ PA plates. I figured it had to be Ed and Dennis. Our group (purple name tags) had a guy and his wife in it. Could that have been one of you guys?

My assessment was that the BMW shined as the all-around performer, though it was edged out by the Subaru on the acceleration course. The Volvos weren't even in the same class performance-wise, though the AWD version on the acceleration course was the nicest of all three Volvos. In my opinion, where the Subarus lag behind is in the area of body and chassis tightness. None of the three Legacys felt as tightly screwed together as any of the Beemers or Volvos. Plus, I noticed some poorly finished door trim on the right rear door on the wagon (slalom course).

Out of all the vehicles, I'd still choose to buy the Subaru for my personal use, because I feel they have the best AWD system and overall package for the money.

All in all, we really enjoyed the event. It was almost as much fun as the Pursuit Driving course at the police academy (minus the lights and sirens, of course!).

Len
    Sounds fun, Len. Subaru had some real guts to put it up against those two pricier competitors.

-juice
    Our group (purple name tags) had a guy and his wife in it.

Yep, that was me!

-Dennis
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Bob - Thanks for posting the link.

The direct link to the Turbo Tour is: http://www.subaruturbotour.com/

FYI - I tried to sign up for the test drive offer but I'm getting an error to "please enter your first name". Oh well, I'll try again another day.

DaveM
    Bob - see my review in the Test Drive Team thread, it was hilarious how we left with opposite impressions of the XLR!

I liked the E320, C230K, TL, SC430, G35, GX470.

These cars did not impress me, compared to my expectations at least: 530i, GS300, ES330, XLR.

Full reviews in that thread.

-juice
    did the E500 have the 7speed automatic?

-Brian
    I only drove the E320 at this event.

They might have had an E430 but I ran out of time. The lines were long.

-juice
    I'm just curious if the 7sp automatic in the E and S 500 is just as perfect as it is in the SL500. At the MB event both of these were the 4matics which only come in 5sp manu-matic.

I agree, the C-class Kompressor sedan is fun to drive. I went to the MB event with a friend of mine who has one.

-Brian
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Regarding the Caddy, I was speaking only of performance, not the items you mentioned. I must have been blown away by the performance, and forgot to check out the rest of the car, so you may be right.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Ok folks in the Mid-Atlantic Area, PA Area, etc.

Looks like Team IAC will be doing a 4hr Enduro race at Summit Point Raceway Saturday November 20th. We'll be a 2-driver car running the '96 Impreza L. I'm asking anyone in the area that has an interest come out and support us in this venture! You'll get to see some great racing, and see one of your crew members doing a real race! The Subaru will likely be up for the task w/o issue and we should do well especially if we get some rain :)

Date: Saturday November 20
    Location: Summit Point Raceway, WV (About 1hr from Harrisburg, Baltimore, DC
    More info: http://Emraracing.org

Thanks!

-mike
    http://TeamIAC.com
    If it was the following weekend, I would be able to check it out. I have an uncle that lives in MD, near the WV line. I'll probably be there for Thanksgiving weekend.

-Dennis
    Well it looks like my co-driver didn't make it into the competition liscence school for this coming weekend so we aren't gonna be able to make it into that race :(

-mik
    Mike: Again, drop me a line. I might be able to help you there as well.

Ed
    This has "paisan" written all over it. :)

http://www.ultimaterally.com/

Bob
    $30k gets you an entry in. I think Mike has other plans for his $30k (like truck shopping)

-Brian
    Yeah I have been invited to that rally with the SVX for 3 years running. Never had enough $ or sponsors to do it, also street racing like that is a bit out of my style. If I had $30K I'd be going for a truck or a new race car....

:)

-mike
    Yup that's right 4th Annual!

http://AZPInstalls.com/48hrs05

-mike
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Coming up? Might give ice racing a shot on a lake this winter...

-B
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Mike, Dave, et al...

I see that one of your stops is 7-Stars Restaurant (North of Brewster on NY Rt 22 (Putnam County, NY). There are a number of us in Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester that might consider coming out to cheer you guys on if you don't arrive too late. It is about 20 or so miles from my place.

Steve
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Steve,

Assuming we stick to a schedule, Mike has us penciled in for getting to the 7 stars around 10:30 pm or so. If it is not too late, it would be great to me you folks.

Mark
    I'll try to make the end of the line dinner in Woodbridge if nothing is going on that day.

-Dennis
    The road conditions are still a bit iffy around here (Dutchess County). I would like to see you at Seven Stars tonight, but I need to weigh everything out....

Steve
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    It's a go whatever the weather may be :)

Shoot paisan an e-mail with your contact number.

He can update you on their ETA.

-Dave
    Good luck, guys, and have fun!

-juice
    Steve,

We are still on for tonight. We are aiming to leave NJ around 8 - 8:30. That should put us into Brewster around 10, I hope. Mike has to work and is going to meet us in Albany tomorrow morning. I think we have 4 or 5 cars heading up tonight before joining up with everyone else.

Mark
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    I live about 5 miles from that restaraunt in Brewster. Got about 5" snow last night and this morning. Now the temp is 30 degrees with sleet/freezing rain. Forecast is for up to 1/2" ice accumulation around Brewster and points north.

Although I just put new Nokian tires on the WRX, there's no way I'd be on the roads up here tonight without a real good reason. On the plus side, there should be almost no traffic around when you guys get up here.

Good Luck.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    be safe guys!!!
    I went outside at about 9pm and damn near landed on my rump. Fresh glaze of ice everywhere. We even had some power flickers that made the UPS on the computers chirp. After some deliberation (wife kept saying 'no way'), I decided to stay home.

I tried to call Mike on his cell (you will see two missed calls sometime after 9pm), but I didn't leave a message. Later I remembered that you said that he wasn't with you anyhow...

Hope all went well, and that you didn't run into too many problems.

Steve
    No problem. We didn't get up to the restaurant until 10:30 or so. They were very nice though; they were supposed to close at 11, but they let us come in and eat with no problems.

As for the roads, they were not that bad. I guess the plows were out and about early on (we did see a bunch of them on the road) so the roads were salted.

All in all it was a good safe trip. Paisan ran into a bit of a problem with the SVX, but he made it the whole way after joining us in Albany. Saw a few accidents along the way, but thank goodness none from our group. A good time was had by all.

Now on to planning next year's trip:-).

Mark
    what happen with the SVX?

-Brian
    Mike can explain more in detail, but basically while taking some back roads he damaged the axle somewhat. Since I am not mechanically inclined, I can't really give the details, but after getting a local shop to repair it he drove up to Niagara Falls to join us again and lead the rest of the way. His friend Frank met us in Philly, where they did some more repairs Sunday morning.

I beleive it was the heat shield was rubbing against the exhaust, but again I'm not positive. Sorry for the vague report.

Mark
    Well, glad to hear he got back up and running quickly. Was it fun?

-juice
    Juice,

We had a blast (as usual). All types of weather, but thankfully none of us were hurt, and ecxept for Paisan, no one had any problems.

There are photos form the people who went at the following sites:

http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album128

http://home.epix.net/~pbarrows/

http://www.dont-try.com/48hrs.htm

http://a.domaindlx.com/ironhead187/48Hrs-2005/

Mark
    My Drivers CV was bad for a while, finally gave up the ghost about 10k miles later. We ran over some snow/ice that pushed the exhaust up and pinched the heat shield with the driveshaft. We wound up prying down the exhaust and heat shield a bit in philly. This weekend I'll throw on new brake rotors, pads and try to fix the heat shield.

-mike
    Mark,

Very glad to hear that you guys (and ladies) had a good time. I cruised thru some of the photo folders, and it did look like a blast. Maybe next year the weather will cooperate and more of us will meet you at Seven Stars.

Steve
    I'll be heading there on 2/17, fwiw.

Last year I think many of us had fun looking at the Webcam they had setup prior to the opening. We were able to sneak a peek at the Outback. Here's the main webcam page, looks like they've rearranged the floorspace a bit this year. http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/neatstuff/webcams/

-Brian
    Is this of any interest to you? Maybe some Studebaker stuff there? ...And it's free!

http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2005/01/30/017490.html

Bob
    Just poking my head in, will check it out.

BTW, the world's largest all-Studebaker swap meet is held every year, usually on the first weekend in March, at the York Farigrounds in PA: http://www.yorkfair.org/expo.htm . I used to go regularly but haven't been since 2002. There's really nothing my car needs at the moment except for new or NOS rear seat upholstery; everything else would be spares. I should rephrase that; it needs to be driven a little more!

Thanks,

Ed
    You're gonna put Nitrous on the Stude? :o)

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    was thinking the same 8o

-Dave
    I'm recalling the phrase from a recent bad movie. LOL

-juice
    That's correct. I was lucky to find a set of New Old Stock front seat upholstery (vinyl) for the car a couple of years ago - it was in the inventory of a former Indiana Stude dealer. It had held up very well for being almost 40 years old; I've put one small (1/2") crack in the driver's seat which should be repairable come the warm weather.

Nitrous on that old Champion Six? I'd probably end up cracking the head, but I'm sure it'd be fun while it lasted. ;-p

Ed
    Who's going? I'm hoping to be there Saturday.

http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2005/01/31/017787.html

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Signed up for the Subaru free tickets for Monday evening, 2/7.

DaveM