Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I rec'd. a large postcard in the mail inviting me to see the Tribeca at the Philly Auto show. It directed me to a website to enter the listed PIN and sign up for tickets on 2/7, 2/8, or 2/9. I then rec'd. a confirmation to exchange for the tickets. The free tickets are good from 5:30 pm to closing.

DaveM ('03 OBW)

P.S. My Mom ('02 OBW) also rec'd. the postcard. My brother ('05 OBW) did not receive the invite. All 3 were bought at the same dealer and all are registered at my.subaru.com

P.P.S. My brother rec'd. an email invite for free ski tickets but neither my Mom or I rec'd. it.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I got the free ski tix invite, which while thoughtful is useless for me. Growing up in SC the closest I ever got to skis was driving a boat while pulling people on water skis.

I have gotten Phila. Flower Show tix from SoA the last two years running. They are a pricier ticket than Auto Show tix, so I don't mind paying for the Auto Show when I get comped for teh Flower Show.

Ed
    I got the Flower Show invites also. I was going to go last year but the night of the show I instead drove half way to Norfolk to depart on a 10 day cruise the next day. :-)

DaveM
    ...I got the e-mail invite to the Auto Show. Pity it's on school nights; it'll make it very tough for us to go. The missus suggested we bring the famous Cozy Coupe WRC and its driver down to the SoA stand but that'll be past his dinner-and bedtime.

Ed
    My Mom got another invite (email this time, paper last time) to the Philly Auto Show. She had already registered for tickets a couple of weeks ago.

I just received an email invite to the Baltimore Auto Show (it also includes Jacksonville, Raleigh, and Atlanta in the drop down box). I'm about 90 miles northeast of Baltimore.

DaveM
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Looks like Bob and I might make it to Philly after all. Saturday, though, work is too crazy for me to get any time off.

Anyone going?

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2005/02/02/020774.html

Did you know Subaru invented the crossover segment in 1994 - with the introduction of its legendary Subaru Outback?

I think owners of AMC Eagles might take exception of that statement. In fact I know they would. Check this site.

http://www.users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb/main.htm

The only thing Subaru invented was the term "sport utility wagon," not that "class of vehicle."

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I might go if we're able to get into the B9. Don't want to make the trip to just look at it from 10 feet away, especially since I was just in Philly last weekend.

But if Bob wear's his helmet, I'll go just to see that!!! ;-)

-Dennis
    Sorry Dennis. If you go, you'll just have to enjoy my bald head this time. :)

Bob
    wait, haven't we discussed this before? The BRAT was available before '80 and had 4wd available and what about the Subaru 360?

Though, this probably belongs in the Cafe or MTM...

-Brian
    Bob - c'mon, now, Subaru had the first sporty utility wagon in 1973 with its MY1974 4WD Leone.

In fact that wagon had factory skid plates, 4WD, and even low range gearing!

Subaru was first, period. It wasn't the Outback, but it certainly wasn't AMC either.

Pic:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291908527&amp- ;idx=8

-juice
    I stand corrected. :)

Bob
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Everytime I see that album, I choke at the 'intersecting bodies' picture of Annie and me.....

Steve
    Cool...

My godson's 1st anniversary of his Gotcha Day is coming this spring.

-juice
    looks like a plum (metallic red or purple or perhaps black) colored B9 at the Chicago show. http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/neatstuff/webcams/

(pick Subaru from the drop down list)

-Brian
    Brian, it looks like the Root beer-colored Tribeca cut-away they had at Detroit.

Bob
    There appears to be 3 there - 1 cutaway one, and 2 regular ones to the left of that. All the same brown purple (hard to tell from the lack of lighting).

-Brian
    Same color was at NAIAS, and then again at Philly. They also had a light green/gray on the stand, which I really liked.

-juice
    Just got an invite from Subaru for the Philadelphia Flower Show for Friday, March 11 from 4 to 7 pm.

2 free tickets
    2 Subaru hospitality passes

Anybody planning to go?

DaveM
    We may go. How did you get the free tickets & Subaru hospitality passes?

Bob
    How did you get the free tickets & Subaru hospitality passes?

I received an email invitation from Subaru.

DaveM
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I just received my email offer as well. Too bad I can't get off that day. I'm sure my wife would have liked it.

Bob - if it's transferable, would you want them?

Mark
    Yeah, that would be great. Thanks. Is it possible to post the e-mail invite URL here? That way I should be able to access it by doing a copy-and-paste.

Bob
    Once we get the invite (which would be 4 years running IIRC) and can find a sitter, we'll probably be there as well.

Ed
    Bob,

My apologies. I never had a chance to check back here before leaving on vacation, and now I can not find the email. I might have a link at home, in which case I'll try to post it. Sorry for the long delay.

Mark
    Wednesday, March 23, 2005

8:00am - 10:10am IMPA Opening Breakfast
    Special Events Hall, Level One

10:20am - 10:45am Mercedes-Benz
    Stand, Level Three

10:50am - 11:10am BMW
    Stand, Level Three

11:20am - 11:45am Chrysler Group
    North Pavilion

12:00n - 12:50pm Lexus
    lunch Galleria

1:00pm - 1:25pm Ford
    Stand, Level Three

1:30pm - 1:50pm Bentley
    Stand, Level Three

2:00pm - 2:20pm Ferrari Maserati
    Stand, Level Three

2:25pm - 2:50pm General Motors
    Stand, Level Three

3:00pm - 3:30pm Nissan / Infiniti
    reception Stand, Level Three

Thursday, March 24, 2005

8:30am - 8:55am Scion
    Special Events Hall, Level One

9:00am - 9:20am Mitsubishi
    Stand, Level One

9:25am - 9:50am Hyundai
    Stand, Level One

9:55am - 10:20am Isuzu
    Stand, Level One

10:25am - 10:45am Subaru
    Stand, Level One

10:50am - 11:15am Suzuki
    Stand, Level One

11:20am - 11:40am Kia
    Stand, Level One

11:50am - 12:15pm Volvo
    Stand, Level Three

12:20pm - 1:10pm Chrysler Group
    lunch Stand, Level Three

1:15pm - 1:35pm Porsche
    Stand, Level Three

1:45pm - 2:05pm XM Satellite Radio
    Crystal Palace

2:15pm - 2:35pm Sean John Wheels
    Crystal Palace

Bob
    Bob,

I found the invite for the flower show. Here is the link:
    http://special.subaru.com/special/flowershow05/flowerShow.jsp?id=C360273E94F25646

Hope it works, and that you enjoy it as well.

Mark
    Thanks Mark!

I need to check with my wife, as I know we have something going that day, but I'm not sure when.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Actually though, AMC was first with Full-time 4-wd. Subaru didn't come out with the AWD/Fulltime 4wd until after AMC.

-mike
    Weren't the AMC systems also part-time? I thought it was Audi that was first with full-time AWD, but that might have been in Europe.

-juice
    AMC Eagle (Hornet w/4WD) was full-time 4WD, high range only as I recall.

Bob
    I'll let the Audi guys debate you on that. I'll take your (and mike's) word for it. ;)

-juice
    IIRC, my grandparents '85 Eagle wagon had a lever (with a pull down lock to prevent it from moving on its own) to enable or disable 4wd.

-Brian
    Neutral position?

Bob
    I don't recall a neutral position. 2wd and 4wd were the positions (the switch was either full right or full left).

It was called "Selec-Drive" (shift on the fly 2wd/4wd) according to this: http://users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb/eagspecs.htm

-Brian
    According to this link, it had a viscous coupling.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bv/amc_eagle.htm

It was an on-road system, but maybe you could disconnect the 4WD part with that lever?

Bob
    I agree it was a full time on-road system, but in the '85 (though it might have been an '84, like you could really tell the difference back then) my grandparents had (I was a new driver back then) the switch engaged either 2wd or 4wd. I believe it had the 'must stop before switching', though that appears to be a pre '84 feature. I can't find a picture of the switch, but I surely was an odd manuever to hold the lock pin down in the middle and then slide the lever to the mode you wanted.

Theirs was the 4.2L with the 4sp AT. I remember when you'd engage D from R or N, you'd get a healthy CLUNK at the rear diffy. Always did that from what I can remember. *shrug* It had a plastic valve cover (inline 6) and a 2bbl carb as well.

In 2wd mode, it was fairly easy to get the rear tires to chirp. In 4wd mode, no way.

I remember their Eagle well, since it was my first experience with a 4wd vehicle (and it was a black wagon without the wood panel stuff). I remember testing the 2wd and 4wd on my parents 30 degree incline driveway in the winter. :P :shades:

It wasn't an SX/4, but this pic http://users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb/sweet1.jpg looks very similar to it. It had no 4x4 markings on the door, just "4 wheel drive" on the back quarter like the pic shows. This pic http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/articles/alter04.jpg (the lower right pic) looks fairly similar to the interior, including the 2 directional knee level vents and the digital clock on the left of the dash (replaced the tach).

-Brian
    Perhaps they had models with AWD and ones with part-time 4wd?

-mike
    Hey folks anyone planning on hitting up Hyperfest at Summit Point this coming weekend? TeamIAC.com will be there with my 94 Legacy Turbo, seeing how many "sports cars" I can run down. :)

Anyway hope to see some folks out there.

-mike
    Would be a hoot but we'll be at the beach.

Where's FrankenL?

-juice
    Is still getting worked on. I'm actually having the trans pulled while we are away doing 5 track days in a row and then we'll be putting in the 5MT sometime after that. It'll be ready for the 06 Emra Enduro series.

-mike
    We'll be in OC this weekend. I sent you an email (w).

-Dennis
    Cool, just found out that WRC Driver Petter Solberg will be making an appearance at Miller Subaru in Lumberton, NJ.

It's a meet-and-greet and he'll be around to sign autographs.

The address is:

1592 Route 38
    Lumberton, NJ 08048
    phone: (609) 261-7836

This happens one week from today, next Thursday 7/21 from 6-8pm.

-juice
    I just got the following info from SOA:

Also, I just got off the phone with SOA regarding this. There's a possibility (?) that the '06 STi may be there. The guy in SOA marketing that I spoke to said they "are working on it." At this moment it's not "a given," but keep your finger crossed!

Bob
    Thanks for one-upping me with the inside info and the cool pic. :P

Just teasing. Sounds cool. I gotta see if I can get a day off to go!

-juice
    Hmm, wonder if my wife would kill me if I interrupt our vacation with a drive back to NJ to meet Petter? :D

-Dennis
    If it doesn't work, try this one. It didn't work on my computer.

Bob
    Both links worked for me, FWIW.

-juice