Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a demo

td3201td3201 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2018 in Chevrolet
I’m looking at a 2018 Tahoe Premier with 4K miles. Dealer says the owner drove it. Looks clean. MSRP is 74,100. They are asking for 66,100. I thought about going back at 64,000. Factory warranty is reduced by 1,000 miles and start date on it is when I would buy it. Thoughts?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    td3201 said:

I’m looking at a 2018 Tahoe Premier with 4K miles. Dealer says the owner drove it. Looks clean. MSRP is 74,100. They are asking for 66,100. I thought about going back at 64,000. Factory warranty is reduced by 1,000 miles and start date on it is when I would buy it. Thoughts?

Dealer says the owner drove it

If the "owner" or "general manager" drove every car that a salesperson attributes to them, they'd never have time to sleep or eat. ;)
    Not that it means a lot, but just assume that every demo has had at least 100 different drivers, before you get it.

The best way to evaluate a demo, is to compare the price to what a brand-new unit would be.
    We don't follow pricing, but here is a good research tool:
    https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html

I'd very aggressive with my price offer on a demo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited November 2018
    I'd take a look at 2018 Tahoes that are new on the lot as leftovers WITH a huge reduction in price now that 2019's are there. Usually there's a bunch of money on the trunk as well as advertised incentive money.

Here some incentive info on edmunds.com, under research tab at top.

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/tahoe/2018/deals/

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/tahoe/2018/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• td3201td3201 Member Posts: 2
    It looks like the true market value according to that tool is 67,800. I figured .40 per mile for the 4000 miles to discount from there.

i figured they wouldn’t use a premier for a service loaner which is why I figured a single person drove it. Sound logic? 

I will also check the others on the lot.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    td3201 said:

It looks like the true market value according to that tool is 67,800. I figured .40 per mile for the 4000 miles to discount from there.

i figured they wouldn’t use a premier for a service loaner which is why I figured a single person drove it. Sound logic? 

I will also check the others on the lot.

I wouldn't even guess at who drove the vehicle. You may be right, or not. If that's the sort of thing that worries you, then don't get a demo. It wouldn't bother me, at all. We bought a 2017 service loaner a year ago. It likely had 60 different drivers in the five months it was in service, before we got it.

I agree with the 2018 model advice, above.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator