Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The purpose of this event is to meet Solberg, not the '06 STi, that's assuming it's there.

Bob
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For the event at Miller Subaru on Thursday.

Somebody get out there and take pics!

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    What would you like to see of it that hasn't already been posted somewhere?

I'm planning on going but my time there may be limited.

Ed
    Find out about USDM content. That we don't know.

Bob
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Ed,
    If you go, would you be able to get an extra autograph for Michael (even if it's on a piece of toilet paper!) ; he is always complaining that it is almost impossible to get here in the US due to lack of WRC visits, and Petter is his favorite driver (of course). Thanks.
    Serge
    Take a picture of the rear trunk. I'm curious how the USDM '06 Imprezas will be handling the badging.

Bob
    Ask if there will be a delete option, not for me but a lot of people here ask.

I may end up going, maybe even get to interview Petter in person. I'm waiting to here from SoA.

-juice
    I'll do my best, Serge and all. I imagine there will be a huge rush on this event given the width of its broadcast and the interest in the 2006 Impreza line. It may be hard to get a clear, unobstructed view of the car.

Bob suggested I take Paul's cozy coupe along for Petter to sign. Who knows, he may either think it odd or want one for his own son!

Ed
    Bob suggested I take Paul's cozy coupe along for Petter to sign. Who knows, he may either think it odd or want one for his own son!

Or a photo-op at the very least! :)

Bob
    Bob: I was able to take some unobstructed shots of the '06 STi. I focused on details - front, rear fascia, hood scoop, badging, aero bits like the diffuser, wing over the rear window, etc. I saw juice there and he was taking pics as well. I'll upload them sometime today, or if you like I can mail you a couple. E-mail me for details.

Serge: Petter wasn't signing glossies but SWRT posters. I have one for you, rolled and rubber-banded; all I need is a mailing tube and a mailing address. I'll get that from you offline.

A pretty good sized crowd at Miller, over 250 based on the number of tickets issued, and I'd guess over 300 given late arrivals. (Explanation of tickets: In order to control the volume of people passing through the relatively small showroom Miller required people to sign in and get a numbered ticket. They then called ticket by number (0-25, 26-50 etc.) to come into the showroom, meet Petter and get his autograph. The rest of the crowd had to stay outside in the sweltering heat. Fortunately Miller had refreshments; some light eats but more importantly lots of cold soft drinks and bottled water.

Petter gladly signed my son's Cozy Coupe and the copy of Drive featuring my letter and the pic of the car. Many of the people from SoA corporate recognized the car from Drive; IIRC Patti mentioned at one time that it was the subject of some discussion within Marketing. Surprisingly a lot of people came up and took photos and videos of the Cozy Coupe, and several people asked me for more info on how I put it together. (I'm beginning to think there may be the makings of a small cottage industry here; if not doing the conversions, at least supplying people the templates I made. What do you all think?) I was also surprised to see that someone had made their own version using a newer version of the Little Tikes car.

A lot of Impreza owners took parts off their cars for Solberg to sign, typically sunvisors or glovebox doors but also a few hoodscoops and at least one rear wing. The autograph line was taking on the look of a chop shop!

All told it was a good event; I got to see juice and a couple of Subie fanatics I hadn't seen in a long time.

Ed
    Thanks Ed. I can grab them from when you upload them. Glad you had a good time. :)

Bob
    Also posted in Meet the Members.

-juice
    That cozy coupe is even more fabulous than it was (and it always was the coolest of all toy cars) with Petter's autograph...don't ever sell it; it is something to be passed down...did you get a photo of Petter signing it?
    Thanks very much for the poster (better than the toilet paper I mentioned). Email me at subiefam18@earthlink.net and I will send you the address. Michael is at camp until Aug 7th, so it will be a nice surprise for him. Also let me know the postage costs.

Thanks.
    Serge
    Serge,

E-mail sent.

Ed
  • artpartartpart Member Posts: 1
    Petter Solberg photos from Indianapolis Car and Driver 50th Anniversary :http://artpartphoto.com/gallery
    Arthur P.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Missed a good time. :)

-mike
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    If you have a link with pics, post it, would like to see 'em!

Come to the Chicago or Milwaukee area, then I wouldn't miss it.

-Brian
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    We saw him first. :P

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Its that time of year once again. This January, from the 6th to the 8th, a group of Subaru owners in the Northeast are once again doing our drive through NJ, PA, and NY with a brief stop in Canada. Come and join us for a fun drive, and enjoy spending time with fellow Subaru enthusiasts :shades: .

As is our usual way when doing this trip, we combine the fun of driving our Subies with raising money for a worthwhile casue. The charity we are raising money for this year is the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

We have people from as far away as New Hampshire joining us. If you can not do the whole drive, join us for a portion! You'll see a variety of Subaru's from the STI, to a 97 Leagacy Sedan.

For information contact either myself or Paisan (Mike).

Mark
    Hey all. In case you haven't heard of it yet, this is a unique bonding experience of Subaru owners throughout the NY/NJ/PA/NH/CT Area. Started 5 years ago as a way to get everyone together for a drive and to share some meals and meet new folks and raise money for charity. This drive will take you to 3 states, over 1000 miles in 48hrs.

Check out the details on the website:

http://azpinstalls.com/48hrs06/

Hope to see you there!

-mike
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Man, I really missed the boat this time around. I just logged on to see if you had posted your departure time from NJ, as I was going to drive over to Seven Stars restaurant on Rt 22 in Brewster to have coffee and cake with you guy! Glad I checked the AZP site.... You changed the route this year!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good & safe drive,

Steve
    Steve,

Mike decided this year we would do a reverse route compared to last year. We probably passed near you on our way back home. Our last waypoint for the run was in Albany which we left around 9 pm on Sunday night.

Maybe next year! (First weekend of Jan. 07)

Mark
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Mark,

If you came down the Taconic, you passed within 3.5 miles of my house!

Steve
    yeah, and you came within 1,312 miles of my house...so close and yet....
    I don't think we came near anyone's home in the Crew here, but we did drive down Mike Smith Road :) .

Actually, we finished in Albany and came down the Thruway to 17 South.

Serge - if you are teaching in NJ next year, maybe you and Michael can join us?

Mark
    Mark,
    You know we'll be there!!
    I'm glad they showed what they did, but give us something original, guys!

-juice
    Just got back from the Philly car show. Mod Bob and a few other Edmunds guys were there. Also long-missing Dave M was also there.

A few points of interest:

• I had heard (at the Washington car show) that Subie design chief Zapatineas is gone. That was confirmed today by another Subie rep.

• There was an Outback SE (2.5 w/NAVI) in Diamond Gray Metallic. The color is GORGEOUS! It's a dark metallic charcoal gray—and rumor has it that the '07 Spec B will also be this color. Subaru should make it available on every model they sell.

• There were also some tuner Subies on display. These vehicles were also at NAIAS, or so I was told. Many had some input from Subaru, as there was a "Subaru Project Car" label attached to them. One of which was a Tribeca. This black Tribeca also had an all black grille and "smoked" headlights—and looked great. I bet it's what the '07 'Beca will have.

Other stuff of interest:

• I was able to sit in the Honda Fit Sport, as it was open for inspection. Subaru needs a 1500cc car like this here in America. The one on display was an automatic with paddle shifters. I think it has a 5-speed automatic, but am not certain.

• The new '07 Expedition (not the LWB EL model) was on display. It was all black, including the grille, and also looked great.

• The Ford Edge was there and it looked good too.

• Sat in the back of a new Durango, and of all the mainstream midsize SUVs, I think it has the most comfortable 3rd-row seat that I have sat in. Average-sized adults can actually sit back there in reasonable comfort. It will be interesting to see the Chrysler version (Aspen) in the same showroom as the Jeep Commander. The Aspen (like the Durango) has a decent rear seat, and the Commander has a miserable rear seat.

Bob
    I guess Jeep has the more macho image and will appeal more to males, while the Chrysler will probably be a softer, more feminine version of the Durango.

3rd rows are a funny thing, I think they're wanted a lot, but used seldom. I have two friends who have never used the 3rd row a single time. Ironcally, I'd like a 3rd row in my next ride!

-juice
    Anyone got a photo of that, or seen one? How'd it look?

-juice
    They just classified the Legacy to race with NASA so it will be getting caged this spring!

Looking at a slightly used GTO as my daily driver, since the subies just aren't cutting it lately, nothing sparks me to say "yeah I gotta have it" I wanted the B911s from a few years back but nothing has shown up yet nor in the near future in the subie line, shame :(

-mike
    Good luck racing the Legacy...

GTOs depreciate a bit so you can probably find one for $20-23k already, maybe less with some miles on it.

-juice
    I'm curious as to whether anyone in the NJ/PA/DE area has received an invitation from SoA to attend this year's Philadelphia Flower Show. My wife and I attended as SoA's guests for the last several years and enjoyed it greatly. We haven't received an invitation this year and were wondering whether SoA has discontinued this practice or whether it's just someone else's turn.

Ed
    Good question Ed. I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I don't see anything on the SOA site.

Bob
    Never mind - I see invitations have gone out. It may be tough for me to make it in the appointed time (next Friday, 4-7pm), though.

Ed
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    photog72 over @ nabisco giving away 2 free tickets.

-Dave
    Rumor has it the '07 Legacy GT spec.B will be there.

http://www.autoshowny.com/

Anyone going? It starts April 14.

Bob
    I will try. We might actually go visit the in-laws in CT if it coincides with Spring Break for the kids.

What are the full dates for the show?

I could meet you there, maybe.

-juice
    Juice,

Going off the website, the official dates are 4/15 to 4/23, with a "special public sneak peak" date of 4/14.

Mark
    I think that's the fund raiser dinner the night before.

Let me find out when spring break is for my kids...

-juice
    As juice indicated, we are going up on Monday. Anybody care to join us there?

Wednesday and yesterday I was very busy helping the IL editors with their Straightline blog entries from the NY show floor, as these were the press days. There's a ton of NY show info there.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/

My pick for the most impressive new vehicle launch is the Lexus LS 600h L. It has a 430-hp DOHC 5.0 V8/hybrid powerplant, a 2-stage ECTV and AWD—all standard.

Lexus claims V12 power with V6 economy! Top that Mercedes and BMW!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=109978

This is by far the most powerful engine combo ever hooked up to a CVT that I'm aware of. If this works, which I'm sure it does, it means that CTVs can indeed play with the big boys...

Bob
    Could Toyota's timing be any better? They say timing is everything, and here they are rolling out a complete line of hybrids just as gas prices spike.

Meanwhile, GM puts a small block V8 in several FWD cars and Chrysler is marketing Hemis on everything but dish washers. :cry:

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    2006 Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series on the West Coast:

Seattle area in September:
    http://www.uswts.com/wa/welcome.htm

San Diego in October:
    http://www.uswts.com/ca/welcome.htm
    Hey folks, just a reminder of this SOA event being held at Matt Slap Subaru in Newark, DE this Saturday. The following is an e-mail that I got from Dave Sullivan, who is the brand manager of the Tribeca and Forester.

I'm hoping to be there. I hope others can make it too.

Bob

Hi all –

Just a reminder that ICY RACING will be at Matt Slap Subaru in Newark, Delaware on Saturday from 12pm – 4pm. C’mon down and meet them - I think they’ll have at least 2 of their cars here, and Dave will be giving ‘test drives’ of STIs…..see below. Send your friends, neighbors, and VIP candidates to the land of tax-free shopping!

ATTENTION: SATURDAY JULY 15th from 12-4 PM.
    Meet Dave Rosenblum Driver/Founder ICY RACING/Team Subaru

Test Drive Impreza WRX STI Race Car.

The web site link is here: http://www.mattslap.com/en_US/

David Sullivan

B9 Tribeca & Forester Car Line Manager

Subaru of America
    STI test drives will be available.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/07/14/014744.html

Bob
    I stopped by Saturday. The weather was flat out lousy, which made for perfect Subie weather—just not good for Subie fans to check out the equipment. I met Dave Rosenblum, and had a nice chat with him. He had his STI racer there plus a really neat Legacy GT wagon racer.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1252

Bob
    Sounds like fun.

-juice