Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lug Nut Weirdness

horsehorse Member Posts: 3
edited November 2018 in Kia
This week I bought a 2013 Kia Rio SX. Three days later I have a flat tire.

4 lug nuts. One of them is locking and it seems I have a key/socket.
The other 3 are round and instead of having a flat face for the "key," the top is rounded and smooth. I see no possible way to remove them.

In the car was a piece of cardboard with plastic top that the four locking nuts came in (and it had the key), but I have no idea where the 12 smooth, rounded top nuts came from nor how they were screwed on.

Anyone have experience with this? How do I get these off?

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    horse said:

This week I bought a 2013 Kia Rio SX. Three days later I have a flat tire.

4 lug nuts. One of them is locking and it seems I have a key/socket.
    The other 3 are round and instead of having a flat face for the "key," the top is rounded and smooth. I see no possible way to remove them.

In the car was a piece of cardboard with plastic top that the four locking nuts came in (and it had the key), but I have no idea where the 12 smooth, rounded top nuts came from nor how they were screwed on.

Anyone have experience with this? How do I get these off?

Guessing that they might be plastic covers that pop on to the top of the lug nut? Try taking a screwdriver, and seeing if you can gently pry behind them and pop them off?

Obviously, I don't know for sure.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• horsehorse Member Posts: 3
    That's a great idea. Could be and I'll check tomorrow. They are shorter than the one locking nut, so I am not sure the would be room for the real nut and the cover. Maybe. I will certainly check that. It makes sense. Thanks.

I can't find anything like them anywhere on the web, but I will check something like decorative lug nut covers.
  • horsehorse Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2018
    I think you have it. I found this on Amazon. The tops of what I am dealing with are bowel shaped and the diameter changes a couple of times, but the idea is the same.

Thanks

https://amazon.com/United-Pacific-10117B-Chrome-Plastic/dp/B01HAFPI4K/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1542935156&sr=1-9&keywords=round+lug+nut+covers