Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trail Guide Tires

notmikenotmike Member Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Toyota
Hello, I am going to replace the tires on my tow vehicle. A 2001 Tundra, it does not get used much at all maybe 5k miles a year so I didn't want to to spend much on tires. I came across a set of trail guide 265-70-17 installed for 430.00 out the door. Any idea who makes the tire? Is it Chinese? If it is a junk tire I will look elsewhere. Thanks for any help here.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Trail Guide is a Multi-Mile tire, marketed by Tire Kingdom, NTB, etc..

They could be made my anyone, but mostly seem to be attributed to Goodyear.

It's a budget tire (obviously), but I don't think it is Chinese.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• notmikenotmike Member Posts: 2
    Thank you
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    edited April 2016
    They're part of TBC corporation, the biggest car-related company I've never heard of:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBC_Corporation
    TBC is owned by Sumitomo Corp. from Japan, but I have no idea where those tires are made. It'll be on the sidewall.
  • jmarinerjmariner Member Posts: 1
    2005 Merc Mariner. Toyo tires were shot. Went up one size to a little taller, little wider Trail Guide A/P. Ordered online, had local shop install. I chose them for price and appearance. They look, great on the little SUV, and they ride great as well. Sure...no chain store warranty, and they dont have brand name bragging rights. But so far, I am thrilled with my choice. As for longevity....I only have about 1000 miles on them. Not my first set of private label tires in my lifetime, and to be honest, I have had equally good service from "off brand" and "big brand" alike. I run tires until they are shot, and I have never had a private label grenade on me as others have proclaimed.
  • rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Don't have direct experience with Trail Guide A/P, but if you do some serious off-roading, I recommend proven brands like Toyo, General tires, Goodyear and Nitto. They are pricey but you can be sure that they will perform really good and have better tread life.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think they are made in China. Not sure. Yes, you'll have to read the sidewall.