Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GLE 300d problems?

blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
edited November 2018 in Mercedes-Benz
I am curious as to other owners' experiences with their diesel versions of the GLE SUV 4matic.
I know that this has been discontinued.
I've just committed to purchasing a used 2016 GLE 300d because I want the diesel economy and the experience I've had with my '06 cdi has been just great. I know this is a completely different engine. Anything I should be on the lookout for? This vehicle has about 28Kmiles. Thanks!

Comments

• blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Seeing no responses, I'm feeling pleased! The new-to-me SUV arrives at the end of this week, and I am on tenterhooks!
    Lastly, if you have one of these, what kind of tires do you use in winter for ice/snow conditions? (I've preferred studded tires in the past, and had some Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 on my Explorer that really didn't do the job for icy roads)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    blissful said:

Lastly, if you have one of these, what kind of tires do you use in winter for ice/snow conditions? (I've preferred studded tires in the past, and had some Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 on my Explorer that really didn't do the job for icy roads)

Where do you live that requires studded tires?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx, I live in Oregon, elevation about 1200'.
    Since we don't get snow THAT often, there's not a lot of plowing or sanding of roads except the main roads. Since it's often at the freeze/thaw interface, ice is more common than snow. Studded tires are allowed Nov thru Mar, but mostly only needed for a few months.
    Yes, I think I got a good deal. Lighting pkg, pano, convenience pkg, parking pkg, towing pkg, chrome ooohlalala (lol, I wouldn't have chosen that) etc. 27K miles, $38K approx.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    @fintail has a late model Mercedes diesel, in your area of the country. Maybe, he'll drop in here to give you some advice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    GLE 300d is a rare bird. I have an E250 Bluetec with the same engine. Performance may be a little tepid in something as heavy as a GLE, but it is probably adequate. The engine is quite popular in Europe, and I am unaware of any specific Achilles heel issues with the powertrain. Just keep it maintained by the book, and I suspect it should have a long service life.

For specific issues, I would check a couple MB-themed forums, which have sections for the W166:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w166-m-class-gle-class/