Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,246
    As much as I want to, I just don't like the Camaro. I do like the C7 in base form but with glass top, which will still sticker under $60K. Nothing else really like it IMHO.

But I'm convinced I'll never get around to owning one.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    If I won that car in a contest, I'd sell it without even sitting in it.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,192
    I don't like sunroofs. More things to go wrong. I'm fair-skinned and avoid sun when possible. Even with the cover open and the smoked glass closed, there's too much sun coming in.
    The only sunroof vehicle I've ever owned is a Studebaker.

For the extra cost, I don't think they're worth it, and in the past negatively affected headroom.

In a current Corvette, which I like, the removable hardtop is standard equipment but the basic car is appealing enough to me that probably the only option I'd pick is the glass top instead of the solid-colored roof.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,927
    I like having a sunroof in a modern car, lets some light in, which can be nice in a gloomy climate. Thick pillars and the fixation on dark interiors make modern cars a bit somber inside. Older cars with thin pillars and/or wraparound glass can be a lot more airy and might not need a roof so much.
    fintail said:

I like having a sunroof in a modern car, lets some light in, which can be nice in a gloomy climate. Thick pillars and the fixation on dark interiors make modern cars a bit somber inside. Older cars with thin pillars and/or wraparound glass can be a lot more airy and might not need a roof so much.

If I lived in the PNW I might feel that way, too.
    Why are all interiors black these days? I miss beige or blue interiors.
  • berriberri Posts: 10,059
    Black interiors show every piece of lint, dust, dirt. I don't get their appeal really. But they seem to sell well. I'm not interested in black interior.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,927
    I blame German brands, who really got into it. I guess it shows less wear or stains, but also shows dust and other particulates, as berri mentioned.

I don't know of any mass market cars that have a blue interior option now. I think it can be ordered in some pricier vehicles.
    tlong said:

If I lived in the PNW I might feel that way, too.
    Why are all interiors black these days? I miss beige or blue interiors.

Funny, it's gray interiors that I dislike the most. I'll pick solid black over gray. Chevys used to offer beiges but I haven't seen that in awhile either. Upper Impalas have a dark butterscotch, almost pumpkin-like leather color which I don't really like either.

I miss red/maroon interiors myself.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,086
    I hate black. On our two vehicles we have light gray and on the other one cognac trimmed in black, which is really nice.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited December 2018
    For me, when I used to weekly get rental cars (starting in the '80's) when I travelled with work, they were invariably gray inside. I think that's what has stuck with me all these years.
    berri said:

Black interiors show every piece of lint, dust, dirt. I don't get their appeal really. But they seem to sell well. I'm not interested in black interior.

Yes, we have a car with black carpet and everything shows. It's a royal pain.
    I've heard people think black exteriors are high maintenance, but having had a black car before, I find the black interior worse than the black exterior.
  • fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459
    I'm quite happy to have the 'wheat' interior on my QX60. Absolutely did not want black. Even though I live in the snow belt there are still too many opportunities for the summer sun to create a blisteringly hot interior.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    As for exteriors, I remember we had a navy blue and a white GM car up north. In the winter the dark one usually looked worse for winter wear. That surprised me a bit really, but then salt and a lot of winter muck is lighter in color I suppose.
  • mrgrtt123mrgrtt123 British ColumbiaPosts: 7
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/business/nissan-carlos-ghosn-indicted.html

Any thoughts about this controversy that Nissan is into?
    A web designer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
    I think Japan is doing a power grab.
    Well there aren't any numbers to show how much it was misreported so it's difficult to know the scale of how 'bad' it was. And yeah, in the US it would prob be some form of an SEC violation. But I'm not really seeing how it affects consumers.
    Interesting posts on YT regarding Elon Musk. Ten years ago Tesla was a tiny startup and GM announced the Volt. It was to be a critical car and even Bob Lutz said he'd stake his reputation on it.

Ten years later the Volt seems to have been a technical success but a market failure. GM has just killed it, and meanwhile Tesla is 100x larger and selling more electric cars than anybody ever has.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,086
    edited December 2018
    Actually the Volt sold pretty well considering that GM never marketed it. Can you think of a single TV ad for the Volt? And they never trained their sales crew very well on selling it. In spite of that they sold nearly 150,000 of them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I'd call Volt a hit rather than a miss. Tesla is by no means out of the woods. They are the type of company that can pop like a balloon if things go wrong quickly. You can factor in recalls that might occur, future poor reliability, fierce competition, new technological breakthroughs, rising electrical costs, and even a company that grew so fast it killed itself.

All this has happened before in the auto biz.
    Also, bits & pieces of the tech developed for the Volt has almost certainly been applied to numerous other, more mass-market, vehicles. So even if the car itself was relatively short-lived (10 years ain't that bad of a run), the concepts and R&D investments weren't wasted.
    Also keep in mind that the sedan market is dying fast. So whoever can field a diverse array of EV products will do best, I think.

edited December 2018
    Ghosn was known a few years back as "Le Cost Cutter".
    Back to gas prices--after being around $2.10 for a week or so, top tier brands where I live now are $1.97. I am loving that.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,391
    $2.56 for PUG at Costco yesterday.

I'm not a fan of black exterior or interior. My XF is black inside, however brightened a bit by the wide swath of aluminum (and smaller wood swath) on the dash and lighter headliner. Next car, I hope to get a brown/tan or gray interior. We'll see, when I bought the XF new year's eve '13, I was a bargain shopper (beggar) so a limited chooser, colors-wise.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,661
    My preference in interior color went from dark to light. I just bought a 2016 CX-5 for my daughter (currently serving in the Army in Korea) for her return to Fort Hood which has a parchment (light tan) . The contrast strikes me as more upscale vs. the monochrome in many combinations.

Wonder if that will carry into the next gen version? Auto design always has been influenced by aviation. The current trend in cockpits is glass. I see it already in many cars, but maybe Tesla goes the furthest with it right now.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,391
    My 85 yo father just leased a white on tan CX-5 in LA. Replacing his '15 Mazda 6 with ~7k miles. Wonder what he'll lease to take him into his 90s?

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

My friend's dad is 95 and drives a Prius. Seems to suit him. He's still a pretty good driver although I wouldn't call him quick on the draw. He is starting to back into garbage cans though. :p
    I do admit that I laugh when I see guys on various car forums online refer to the Prius as the "Pious". :)