Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot battery light on, but both battery and alternator test good

Carson22Carson22 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Honda
My car is a 2003 Honda Pilot. One day about two weeks ago my battery light starts to blink when I would accelerate. I went under the hood hopefully to find a loose cable. The positive cable was loose enough to wiggle. I tried tightening it, but it would not tighten enough to grip the terminal. I then went to AutoZone and they had a lead cap to put on my terminal to make it fatter and that fixed the wiggling. This also fixed the battery light for a day. It comes on again and mostly flickers, but sometimes it will just be on. I then check cables again and they are fine. Next I went to AutoZone again to get the battery and alternator checked. They both tested good. To include I do have an amp and sub-woofer installed. They have been in my car for about 4 months now and this battery light is now coming on. I even turned the radio off and sub off to test it. It still comes on. So for around 2 weeks now I have been driving like this and the car drives fine. I would like to fix it because it keeps me worried an anxious every time I see it thinking my car may die anytime soon. Please let me know what the problem may be a some possible fixes.

Thanks

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could have a slipping belt, so you might want to have a technician check for that. Your symptoms do line up with a slipping belt problem--could be a worn belt or a belt tensioner problem.
  • Carson22Carson22 Member Posts: 2

You could have a slipping belt, so you might want to have a technician check for that. Your symptoms do line up with a slipping belt problem--could be a worn belt or a belt tensioner problem.

Yesterday I went to AutoZone again just to make sure it wasn't the battery or alternator. They said battery was fine, but alternator was bad. It was getting 13.4 volts. I then told my mechanic about this and he said he would check it out. I went today and he used the multi-meter and volts were around 13 when car was and off and went up to 14.5 when running. He also said connections looked good and the belt was fine. There was no noise and tension was good on it. He thinks that there is something wrong in the dash. He said maybe just a small wire is bad in the dash. If I can't start it just jump and then bring it back to me.

A new thing that happened is that the battery light is on, but then the SRS light has come on for 10 seconds then turns off. During those ten seconds it is on the subwoofer will actually turn on and then turn back on once the SRS light turns off.

The car drives fines it just worries me because I have to drive to work and I also drive for work a lot of times.