Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

97 dakota transmission issue

hunter03hunter03 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Dodge
I have a 1997 dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4 46re transmission I believe, I had a code for "torque converter clutch solenoid ",I changed fluid and filter,no code now,but now all I have is reverse and first,no 2nd no 3rd,and no mil light,any ideas ?

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2018
    The clutch solenoid wouldn't cause loss of 1, 2 and 3 gears. If the solenoid were stuck closed you might not notice it at all, and if it were stuck open you'd stall when you came to a stop.

Something else going on here. It's possible that if the solenoid has been stuck closed for a long time, and you didn't notice much (except maybe a drop in gas mileage), then slippage will occur at higher speeds, and this causes a heat buildup----and heat is the worst enemy of an automatic transmission.

You may have to go to a transmission shop for a pressure test or more detailed diagnostics with a better scan tool.

If you put the transmission into "Low" and it still doesn't move, then it's pretty certain it's an internal mechanical problem.
  • hunter03hunter03 Member Posts: 2
    It does move in low and reverse only,30 mph in low,no slippage