Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear axle problem

rangorango Member Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in Dodge
I have a 1999 Durango with 5.2 4wd and I have rear axle play. Clunks when driving and when I jack up the back of it I can pull the axle shaft back and forth about half a inch freely and I know that’s way more than it should. My question is what would cause that? The wheel bearing on that side or spider gears or some thing else? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think that's pretty normal for an axle retained by "C" clips like yours. The "clunk" might just be normal wear and tear, but you could check the u-joints, using screwdriver to pry them, and check for play. Of course, to do this the truck should be in neutral so that the driveshaft can turn freely. Take all proper safety precautions when getting under a vehicle---wheel chocks front and rear, e-brake on and if you can't crawl under without jacking, then use good jack stands.
  • rangorango Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. U-joints are good, it’s specifically the drivers rear tire. The passenger side does it but it “springs” back out for lack of a better word while drivers side doesn’t, I can move it back and forth with very little effort and driving down the road I can see it in my side view moving back and forth
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I suppose it wouldn't hurt to inspect the bearing and race in the hub on that side. As for the differential, about the only quick check would be to warm it up, then drain the diff oil and see if there are any pieces or heavy metallic dust in the drain pan.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    If you have excessive end-play movement of the axle shaft, then the "hat" at the end of the axle might be wearing. You can see it in this picture where arrow is calling out the axle shaft.

End play specification is around .060" . At 1/4" you have wear that could allow the C clip in the above picture to slide off of the axle shaft and then the axle walk out of the differential. Wear could be occurring to the differential pinion gear pin, the internal side gear, the axle shaft and the C-clip.

Here is a video showing normal movement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vda6CYiya9g

This one is excessive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPtYpfVkVuQ