Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Managing competing local dealerships for new car

aebiz95aebiz95 Member Posts: 38
edited December 2018 in General
Hello all - I am in an iteresting situation. I am basically negotiating with 2 dealerships for a car with the exact specs I want. One has it in stock, the other has it located via dealer trade about 200 miles away. The one that located via dealer trade is giving me 500 more off the car price that the one who has it in inventory (they just want to stick it to the other dealer. Lots of bad blood). I don’t have allegiance to either dealer I just want the lowest price. Is it worth it to take the car that will have the extra 200 miles on it for 500 less or just deal with the one who has it in inventory? I was thinking of paying the extra 500 for a fresh car. Is that silly??

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,200
    aebiz95 said:

Hello all - I am in an iteresting situation. I am basically negotiating with 2 dealerships for a car with the exact specs I want. One has it in stock, the other has it located via dealer trade about 200 miles away. The one that located via dealer trade is giving me 500 more off the car price that the one who has it in inventory (they just want to stick it to the other dealer. Lots of bad blood). I don’t have allegiance to either dealer I just want the lowest price. Is it worth it to take the car that will have the extra 200 miles on it for 500 less or just deal with the one who has it in inventory? I was thinking of paying the extra 500 for a fresh car. Is that silly??

It's not the fresh part. It's a bird in hand. A lot of things can go wrong with a deal, where the dealer doesn't have the car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    aebiz95aebiz95 Member Posts: 38
    So you are saying it’s not worth 500?  Even if the dealer showed me the sticker on the car they located and have their name on it?  What could happen, the other dealer they are trading with backs out?    

What else can go wrong?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,200
    aebiz95 said:

So you are saying it’s not worth 500?  Even if the dealer showed me the sticker on the car they located and have their name on it?  What could happen, the other dealer they are trading with backs out?    

What else can go wrong?

It shows up, and has damage. Or, 1000 miles on the odometer. Or, it turns out it's sold, before they can get it. Or, after waiting a few days to get the car, the deal in the F&I office is not what you had negotiated. You go back to the other dealer and your car is gone. Etc, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2018
    Old saying: "Man who chase two rabbits catch none". B) I personally would listen to your Uncle Kyfdx.