Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Details on xDrive on 2018 or 2019 X5

PTCPTC Member Posts: 4
edited January 2019 in BMW
We're looking for the next car for my wife. Her current car is a Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD. I like everything about this car, except the fact that the AWD operates only up to about 25-30 MPH.

I would prefer a mid-size SUV that performs on snowy/icy roads, more like a true 4WD (which I drive -- a 2013 Nissan Frontier V6 4WD). We are often on a highway over the mountains where the conditions are such that 45 MPH in my 4WD truck with top-of-the-line, siped snow/ice tires is safe. If the vehicle encounters an anomalous lump of hardened snow or ice, it may slip a little, but straightens out reliably because there's power spread (relatively evenly) to both front and rear tires. Even more importantly, heading down hill, I can use lower gear which provides engine braking. Not only is this smoother than the ABS braking provides, it also means I can respond with power much more quickly when necessary.

I've done some researching, and it seems like BMW xDrive and Audi Quatro Ultra may be the two available mid-size AWD/4WD systems that provide performance that is closer to true 4WD as far as forward traction. It's not clear whether they also provide engine braking similar to true 4WD.

I'd very much appreciate any technical and/or experential advice regarding the X5 xDrive40i.

Thank you,

Paul

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    We have an X3, but I have no idea about engine braking. With the 8-speed transmission, holding lower gears might be problematic, but that said, I've never tried (wife's car).

Sorry I don't have more info.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator