Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

I for one, a life long Chicago area resident, am glad they lost.

Why? you may ask.

Because as someone who has zero interest in the sport I am spared the consistent mentioning of the Bears. If the had won I would have been bombarded with Bear talk over the radio, on TV, in the office and just about everywhere. 

Happy to have you on the Eagles support train! We welcome all, most especially those who don't care or want to hate us! :D
    I may have mentioned this last year, but my son, who is a lifelong CA resident, is a huge Eagles fan. I have no idea where that came from.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    My support for the Eagles grows stronger the longer I live away from home. It's one of the best ways for me to remain connected to where I grew up.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    RB....good luck and Godspeed on this journey you’ve begun. I think we all believe you will do well. Quick question on the M235 owner story.....why was his car repo’d? Sounded like he was at the end of the lease. Did he just not make the final payment(s)?
    He was in the hospital and he never contacted BMW Financial- so I’m sure they thought he defaulted. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Thanks for all the good wishes. We ground out the morning in a bit over two hours. No trials- just motions and first appearances. This afternoon I have sentencings and pretrials. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    murphydog said:

xwesx said:

tyguy said:

My Tesla records about an hour on a loop (first in first out), but if there's something you want to save, then you press the little camera icon on the screen and it'll save the last 10 minutes of driving. All that data goes on a USB drive that you insert into one of the ports upfront. Pretty slick. I think the aftermarket units' length of recording depends on the data storage capacity.

Definitely does!

I put had a 64GB unit in my Blackvue 750, and it was not able to store a full day of driving (round trip to Anchorage and back, about 15 hours total footage). I was going to do a compilation video on it, but found that the earliest footage I had was south of Willow on the way down (e.g., most of the way to Anchorage already).

So, I now have a 128GB card. Problem solved there! :)
    I have the same camera and love it. Used iMovie on the Mac to stitch some clips together.

What brand of SD cards are you using?
    Lexar. And, I realized that my originals were 128GB, I bumped it up to 256GB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C8L7Z7X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stickguy said:

Bears not living up to billing today.

Sad. I wanted them to win.
    Michaell said:

I for one, a life long Chicago area resident, am glad they lost.

Why? you may ask.

Because as someone who has zero interest in the sport I am spared the consistent mentioning of the Bears. If the had won I would have been bombarded with Bear talk over the radio, on TV, in the office and just about everywhere. 

Happy to have you on the Eagles support train! We welcome all, most especially those who don't care or want to hate us! :D
    I may have mentioned this last year, but my son, who is a lifelong CA resident, is a huge Eagles fan. I have no idea where that came from.
    Bad parenting?
    edited January 2019
    For those of you who do not cross over to the CCBA thread, I thought you might "appreciate" this. :)

From the dash this morning after arriving at work....

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited January 2019
    I too am an Eagles fan, but was sorry for the loss of Glenn Frey.....oops, the wrong Eagles :(
  • xwesx said:

For those of you who do not cross over to the CCBA thread, I thought you might "appreciate" this. :)

Nice to see its warming up in Alaska.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    xwesx said:

Some places I just would not be able to handle, aside from the splendor and beauty of Alaska, I'd be miserable at anything near those temps.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    xwesx said:

I didn't think they made thermometers that could register that low!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited January 2019
    You can put on clothing to keep warm, but when the temperature and/or humidity go way up, you're screwed.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    The Fahrenheit reading is slightly colder, so I see why you changed the scale. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited January 2019

In other news, I was sworn in today and start work tomorrow. A couple of my co-workers and I checked out our office for the first time today; it's not a complete disaster, but it's darn close- It will take a while just to get things on an even keel. Oh well, I expected nothing less. Tomorrow we have over 60 cases in the morning and 30 in the afternoon; I think it's called the total immersion method...

Wow, sounds like a hell of a welcome party, but instead of all those cases, you should have just bought several kegs !! :D
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    It looks like Treyvon Hester of the Eagles is going to get the free drinks. Bears O line are the culprits, not the kicker.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

You can put on clothing to keep warm, but when the temperature and/or humidity go way up, you're screwed.

That's exactly how I look at it!

@explorerx4 Yeah, but most of the time its the other way around. I thought it was nice that the car could be set to use either measurement system (for many items, all can be set independently), so I figured it would be a good way to become more fluent with the Celsius scale.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    edited January 2019
    And at -40 degrees, Fahrenheit and Celsius are identical. As in, *&$#@#$&*! cold.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

Isn't this a good idea!

But you can only read it if the car is parked on your face. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

xwesx said:

I was running around all day in low 20s F and thought I was going to die.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 I'm not going to take anything away from you on that. Most likely it was a "wet cold," and that weather really does feel miserable! It just has a way of seeping into the bones rather than biting at the skin like this bitter (dry) cold does.
    xwesx said:

@oldfarmer50 I'm not going to take anything away from you on that. Most likely it was a "wet cold," and that weather really does feel miserable! It just has a way of seeping into the bones rather than biting at the skin like this bitter (dry) cold does.

That’s kind of you but I was being a baby because the winter has been so mild that I’m just not used to cold. In another month 20 degrees will seem like a heat wave.

Now that you mention it, it was that wet cold that you get just before a snow event (tonight).

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    xwesx said:

Do you have a block heater on your car? at home? at work?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

My company had a sales rep who flew from California to Alaska once a year to call on a wholesale account. He said that when he went in to visit his customer....he always left the rental car running.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    xwesx said:
    How are you able to start your vehicle in the morning, and what pressure do you set your tires? And one more thing, what coolant mixture do you use.

I've spent some miserable winters in Minnesota but nothing near that cold. Yikes!
    driver100 said:

My company had a sales rep who flew from California to Alaska once a year to call on a wholesale account. He said that when he went in to visit his customer....he always left the rental car running.

No joke. In severe weather the truckers up there will often leave their trucks running all night, or most of it, while they catch some ZZZZs. I guess they still have ether injection?
    Let's see.....

I have a circulating block heater, an oil pan heater, and a transmission oil pan heater on it. CBH is fantastic.... at more moderate temps (like -10F and warmer), it can heat the engine to operating temp. I do not have auto-starts on my cars (I am the only person I know in Fairbanks without one!), so I appreciate the instant heat out of the vents when I start it up. At these temps, it does not get to operating, but it still provides perceptibly warm air out of the vents.

I have a timer that turns it on about three hours before I leave in the morning, and it starts up just fine. If I did not have it heated, it would NOT (not even close) start. For the big 3.0L diesel engine, I think the practical non-heated cut-off is about zero degrees F (-18C). I tend to plug it in if it is around ten degrees or less. At work, we have "headbolt" heaters (e.g., power outlets spaced around the parking lot), so I plug it in when I get to work and leave it that way. If it is warmer, like around or above zero, I usually do not plug in when I arrive, but go down an hour or two before I leave to do that.

I run my tires at 40 PSI on this vehicle, and 35 PSI on my Subarus. I set the pressure when I do the seasonal tire change outs, so ambient pressure is lower during this time of year, but it comes right back up as the temperature does. You have to be careful about setting pressure during cold snaps (or, at least, too high of pressure), as it can actually cause blowouts when the temperature jumps back up. Back in 2009, we had a cold snap of -50F that turned into +50F one day later, and there were multiple reports of blowouts! Too funny, yet dangerous.

And, coolant mixture: I tend to run between 60/40 and 70/30. Freeze protection is about -66F.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Ghosn speaks!

https://www.autonews.com/executives/gaunt-graying-ghosn-protests-his-innocence-court
    TOKYO – A gaunt and graying Carlos Ghosn, appearing for the first time in public after nearly two months in a Japanese jail, told a Tokyo court Tuesday he was “wrongly accused and unfairly detained.” Ghosn mounted a point-by-point defense against the accusations facing him.

The embattled former Nissan chairman, entered the Tokyo District Court morning in handcuffs, wearing a dark suit with no tie and green plastic slippers. The usually immaculately coiffed businessman looked thinner than usual, courtesy of his rice-heavy diet in detention. The gray roots of his trademark raven black hair were beginning to show.

Inside the courtroom, Ghosn and his lawyers ticked off a four-point defense against the charges that up-ended career of one of the auto industry’s most storied executives and cast doubt over the future of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi auto empire he founded two decades ago.

“I have always acted with integrity and have never been accused of any wrongdoing in my several-decade professional career,” Ghosn told the court in a calm controlled voice. “I have been wrongly accused and unfairly detained based on meritless and unsubstantiated accusations.”

It was a landmark day in the strange drama engulfing Ghosn, who has been held in detention since his Nov. 19 arrest and unable to tell his side of the story. His lawyers said they would petition the court to immediately end his detention, which was scheduled to run through Jan. 11.

But even they held little hope of swaying the court.

At a press conference held after the hour-and-a-half hearing, lead defense attorney Motonari Otsuru conceded his client would likely be indicted for a second time on Friday and be denied bail, keeping him locked up. Ghosn’s case, he predicted, might not got to trial for another six months.

“Usually in such a case, an indictment would be made,” Otsuru said. “In general, in such cases in Japan, it is indeed the case that bail is not approved before the first trial.”

Bigger cell with bed

Otsuru denied a press report that Ghosn was being pressured to confess.

Ghosn's son said in an interview published Sunday in the French weekly Journal du Dimanche that prosecutors have been pressuring his father to sign a confession in Japanese.

“Not once has Mr. Ghosn said to us any concerns about being asked to sign something in Japanese, in a language he does not understand,” said Otsuru, a former lead prosecutor from the very division spearheading the investigation against his current current client.

Ghosn has also been granted a bigger space in the Tokyo detention center, along with a western-style bed, instead of a futon mattress on the floor of a cramped cell, Otsuru said.

But Ghosn has still been denied visits from family members and his own lawyers get only limited access. Investigators, by contrast, can interrogate him at length in the absence of his attorneys.

Ghosn's day in court came courtesy of a rarely used Japanese legal maneuver in which suspects are allowed to petition the court to hear a justification of their detention.

While it is unlikely to change the course of the case, it provided Ghosn a first chance to defend himself in public, influence the local media and stoke public opinion in his favor.

Presiding judge Yuichi Tada read out charges and declared that Ghosn is being detained because he represents a flight risk and might tamper with evidence. In attendance at the hearing were the ambassadors of Lebanon and France. Ghosn is a citizen of both countries as well as Brazil.

Outside the courthouse was a media circus, with journalists thronging the entrances and helicopters hovering overhead. Local media reported that more than 1,100 people had lined up for the lottery to take one of the 14 courtroom gallery seats allocated to the general public.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    A lottery for courtroom seats, huh? Does each seat come with its own bucket of stones?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited January 2019
    @xwesx
    You mentioned work: how do you keep the car operable while parked there?. Inside parking? Electrical connectors for plugin heaters?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

qbrozen said:

A lottery for courtroom seats, huh? Does each seat come with its own bucket of stones?

Makes you realize how lucky you are not to be subject to Japanese jurisprudence.

xwesx said:

Let's see.....

I have a circulating block heater, an oil pan heater, and a transmission oil pan heater on it. CBH is fantastic.... at more moderate temps (like -10F and warmer), it can heat the engine to operating temp. I do not have auto-starts on my cars (I am the only person I know in Fairbanks without one!),

And, coolant mixture: I tend to run between 60/40 and 70/30. Freeze protection is about -66F.

It sounds like a full time job just keeping your car in running condition up there!

We forget how fortunate we are to be able to jump into our car, press a button or turn a key, and go.....oh yeh, down here I have to put on my sunglasses.

I got this email about some ads from the olden days:

This would make a nice addition to any car:

Ever worry about dreaded wheel ants:

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    1. We get oil from the ground, why not put it back after we are done with it.

2. Ever heard of riding shotgun?

3. Also helps with wheel termites, wheel centipedes and wheel praying mantis.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

How about using that shotgun on those wheel ants? That’ll learn ‘em. :p

On the oil disposal idea, I’ve driven cars that did the same thing a drop at a time. :(

driver100 said:

On the oil disposal idea, I’ve driven cars that did the same thing a drop at a time. :(
    Our older friend who died a few years ago used to dump his motor oil on his property....did it for about 50 years. My wife was executor and in order to sell their home it cost about $30000 to get all the contaminated oil off their property.
    Here is one more I liked, I think these were like feather things you attached to your exhaust pipe to give it that real flaring look.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Our older friend who died a few years ago used to dump his motor oil on his property....did it for about 50 years. My wife was executor and in order to sell their home it cost about $30000 to get all the contaminated oil off their property.
    Here is one more I liked, I think these were like feather things you attached to your exhaust pipe to give it that real flaring look.

You should get a set of those for your Florida car. It would scare off all those crazy drivers who upset you so much. They won’t dare mess with a flame breathing dragon. :D

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Wheel ants. Quick lube joints should reproduce that ad in big poster form for their shop and upsell that service.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    sda said:

I am enjoying a beautiful sun filled day and gave both cars much needed cleaning.  I think it looks pretty good for 5+ years and 85k.

You better wash it again, it looks pretty streaky to me. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    That Ghosn article sure had more than a touch of MEOW in it. Rice diet? Graying hair roots?

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You should get a set of those for your Florida car. It would scare off all those crazy drivers who upset you so much. They won’t dare mess with a flame breathing dragon. :D
    Actually, a great idea. No one would come near someone with those things attached to your car.

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

I am enjoying a beautiful sun filled day and gave both cars much needed cleaning.  I think it looks pretty good for 5+ years and 85k.

jmonroe
    I tell you this jmonroe1 is way wittier than the original. They must have had different mothers.

qbrozen said:

Wheel ants. Quick lube joints should reproduce that ad in big poster form for their shop and upsell that service.

I'm sure this has appeared recently on a dealer repair order.

1. Change oil and filter
    2. Replace brake shoes
    3. Replace brake socks
    4. Treat for wheel ants

TOTAL: $842. 40.

ICSL.............I can't stop laughing.

driver100 said:
    Isn't this a good idea!

No problem, in a few more miles it won't say that and you can just keep on truckin worry free. B) 

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Imid, the parking lot is set up like this:

Each of the posts are electric outlets at the top, so we can plug in as needed.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    One of my golden rules. Never winter anyplace that has heater outlets in the parking lot.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe
    I tell you this jmonroe1 is way wittier than the original. They must have had different mothers.
    And Fathers and brothers.

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

Now I know where the saying, "shooting yourself in the foot" came from. :o

jmonroe
    xwesx said:

Imid, the parking lot is set up like this:

Each of the posts are electric outlets at the top, so we can plug in as needed.

You guys don't need parking lot receptacles...you need your heads examined. :'(

jmonroe