Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Buylow1Buylow1 Member Posts: 7

22.5-23k at auction means they may have stepped up a bit over if it was really nice on a trade because they wouldn't have transport costs - that would hurt your leverage. I'd say there is no price leverage in this, especially if they had to do any reconditioning.

Thank you for the clarification!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I agree with all mentioned and there is a 100 dollar deductible per occurence. That being said 100 dollars doesn't cover the hr of shop labor. For ten years that's 340 a year less than 34 dollars a month. I have a Subaru legacy the goes through wheel bearings like gasoline. I wish I had so coverage. Life is a gamble. Sometimes a little piece of mind of priceless so to speak

You have to read the warranty, word for word, cover to cover. Check for all/any exclusions that are noted, and if you aren't sure, ask.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    Don't forget, the warranty company still has to exist to pay any claims.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    That's another problem!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    And when the dealership or independent repair shop starts arguing with the warranty provider, you are the one stuck in the middle. Which is why I would never buy an extended warranty from anyone besides the original manufacturer (in this case, GMC).
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Agreed. I wouldn't buy a non-OEM extended warranty, other than something like CarMax, where it's underwritten by a major insurer and CarMax is unlikely to go bankrupt and be unable to pay the premiums.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Looks like I got my name back in Edmunds. Turned my laptop off yesterday for a few hours and when I came back on, Edmunds asked me to sign in but forgot the password. Put in a new one and there I was, the Sandman was back! Well, who knows for how long but am happy I'm back!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Good news!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• anthonyrrranthonyrrr Member Posts: 24
    So this is going to be another I don't know if I posted this in the right spot but I hope you all can help I guess I'm looking for just a little reassurance because buying a car is always a pain in the butt when it comes into negotiating I picked up a 2016 Denali ultimate pickup with 39000 miles for 37000 even. $3,200.50 and sales tax with a $358 DMV fee and whatever fee give me a $443 payment spread out over 84 months that's what $12,000 down I'll be financing $28,559 a finance charge of $8,735 and I keep seeing deferred price $49,294 what exactly is the Deferred price
    edited January 2019
    Add together the amount financed, the interest charged over the 7 years, and the down payment.

$28,559 plus $8,735 plus $12,000 == $49,294

You're seriously going to finance a 3 year old truck for 7 years? That thing will be 10 years old and you'll still be making payments.

And you're paying 7.9% interest? If you have halfway decent credit, you should be able to beat that.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    That’s the total you are paying including interest.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425

So this is going to be another I don't know if I posted this in the right spot but I hope you all can help I guess I'm looking for just a little reassurance because buying a car is always a pain in the butt when it comes into negotiating I picked up a 2016 Denali ultimate pickup with 39000 miles for 37000 even. $3,200.50 and sales tax with a $358 DMV fee and whatever fee give me a $443 payment spread out over 84 months that's what $12,000 down I'll be financing $28,559 a finance charge of $8,735 and I keep seeing deferred price $49,294 what exactly is the Deferred price

Throws the Flag! Blows the whistle! Raises the arm and opens up the door to the penalty box! Why on god's green earth are you taking out an 84 month loan to begin with, much less on a 2 year old vehicle with 39,000 miles?

Can you black out your personal information at take a snapshot of the contract for us to take a look at?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

OK, how is your credit? The interest rate on this loan seems really high to me. I backed into the payment and it's nearly 8%.

If you get it down to 4.5% and afford a little more monthly you could save 5K

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    1. Buy a less expensive vehicle if you need 7-yr financing on a used one.
    2. As was just said, a 5-yr loan at a halfway decent rate is not much more per mo.
    3. Buy a less expensive vehicle.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited January 2019
    4.5% is actually right in the ballpark, at least at my company. Even if you take into account a maximum markup from the buy rate, which is generally around 2%, the rate is still higher than it should probably be unless you are below Tier 1 for credit.

4.19%-4.49% for 12-48 months
    4.29-%-4.59% for 49-60 months
    4.79-5.09% for 61-72
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I belong to 3 credit unions, this one has the best rates for car loans.

Note that they do not want you to finance for 84 months unless you're financing over $40k. Which is a pretty good rule of thumb, I would say.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    84 month loan on a 3 year old used car?

7.9% is probably top tier. :o

Not that I've shopped that combination..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

mhockey21 said:

@nyccarguy I am but grew up in Cos Cob! Was just at Half Full Brewery near you

However, no one answered my question

We have a resident expert who will get back to you sometime today and give you a "dead on balls accurate" number of what you should pay for the Q3. Why the need for Quattro in FL?
    It's hard to order a car from the used car factory...
    It rains a lot in Florida; Quattro every time!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

mhockey21 said:

@nyccarguy I am but grew up in Cos Cob! Was just at Half Full Brewery near you

However, no one answered my question

We have a resident expert who will get back to you sometime today and give you a "dead on balls accurate" number of what you should pay for the Q3. Why the need for Quattro in FL?
    It's hard to order a car from the used car factory...
    It rains a lot in Florida; Quattro every time!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    My credit took a crap recently so I was expecting a mediocre rate.i plan on keeping the truck for a long time   as its gone a be an extra vehicle  I'm sure the numbers add up I guess I just wanted  the internet to  tell me the same thing  
    Numbers look right, I would try and get a better APR if possible.  

On a side note, surprised they are using an AS/400 system.   Haven’t seen that a car dealer in a long time.  

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited January 2019
    If it is going to be an extra vehicle, I would go the complete opposite route: Find yourself something that you can buy for that down payment, still keep it a long time, and still use it as the "extra" vehicle. Save the $37,300 you would have spent over the following SEVEN years!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I plan on paying for the warranty plus taxes separate..no need to finance that too any suggestions as to where I can inquire auto loans  I checked chase where i do all my banking and they came in around the same thing 
    If you're under 700 credit, and must do the seven-year loan, you probably won't get a better rate. If you have the option of a high-credit family member who will co-sign, that's probably the only thing that will bring it down with any significance.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    As I noted above, the rate is not that bad for a used car on an 84 month loan

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

xwesx said:

If you're under 700 credit, and must do the seven-year loan, you probably won't get a better rate. If you have the option of a high-credit family member who will co-sign, that's probably the only thing that will bring it down with any significance.

Depends on just how bad his credit is.

If he has any family members who work for a large corporation, check into joining the credit union there. My brother, my son, my two granddaughters, a nephew and a niece are all members of the credit union sponsored by my employer. I posted their interest rates a little while ago (look up), and I doubt anyone can beat those numbers. And I can sponsor family members.

And, no, I'm not going to adopt jmonroe. Nor jmonroe1. Sorry.
    Geico is getting me for $1,500+/6 months now. Others were even higher.

It is bad enough every time I got a competing quote they knew to ask me about what happened with that accident in January of 2014 (the not at-fault S4 incident), but State Farm also asks this whopper:

Have you had any moving violations which you got erased by the Courts by going to Traffic School in the last 5 years?

I find the question to be irrelevant to my insurance rating for one, but more importantly,
    I can say with certainty anyone answering that question in the affirmative is an idiot, an imbecile, and a sucker. They know too much already, why volunteer more irrelevant information.

The correct answer is either "NO" or "to the best of my recollection, no."
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Man, wouldn't it be unfortunate if you lied on that form and they had a mechanism for pulling the court records for your citation (which is separate and distinct from your driving record)?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @anthonyrrr,
    Not trying to sound like (whomever aggrevates you the most) but 12K is a lot of money and you are going to average paying $100 month interest on that loan for 7 years.
    For a spare vehicle, could you rent something when you need it until your credit score builds back up?
    Once you lock into that loan, it going to be difficult to change anything.
    I tried to figure out if you made payments for a year and your score went up, how you could go from the remaining 6 years and refinance to a new 5 year loan.
    The rate would have to be 1.9%, which is not happening for anyone.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    This is a ridiculous use of money for someone with poor credit. Oh well. Good luck to you.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@anthonyrrr,
    Not trying to sound like (whomever aggrevates you the most) but 12K is a lot of money and you are going to average paying $100 month interest on that loan for 7 years.
    For a spare vehicle, could you rent something when you need it until your credit score builds back up?
    I tried to figure out if you made payments for a year and your score went up, how you could go from the remaining 6 years and refinance to a new 5 year loan.

Yep, so true. Once the buy happens, he's gonna be upside down on that rig for a long, long time.
    I suppose if you take the LONG view, and amortize this out over 10 years, it's not so bad. This little scenario presumes, of course, that the vehicle remains relatively trouble-free over that period--behind the normal maintenance and replacement of "expendables" that any car would incur.

I'd be more inclined to pay less attention to a loan like this if it were on a work vehicle--one that is earning money for the lender.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

Man, wouldn't it be unfortunate if you lied on that form and they had a mechanism for pulling the court records for your citation (which is separate and distinct from your driving record)?

I don't think I've ever been asked those types of questions when I've worked with an agent. I assume they pull my MVR, I sign something, and they give me a quote.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    corvette said:
    I don't think I've ever been asked those types of questions when I've worked with an agent. I assume they pull my MVR, I sign something, and they give me a quote.
    Me either. But, if they ask, I assume they have a way of verifying it - or will in the future. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    xwesx said:

@anthonyrrr,

Yep, so true. Once the buy happens, he's gonna be upside down on that rig for a long, long time.
    xwesx said:

@anthonyrrr,

With the reality of being upside down for an extended period, GAP insurance could be a good investment.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    qbrozen said:

This is a ridiculous use of money for someone with poor credit. Oh well. Good luck to you.

X1000

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

xwesx said:

@anthonyrrr,

$12K down on a $40K vehicle? Even on an 84 month loan, at what point you think he’ll be upside down? I’ll guess.... never.

GAP insurance on that loan would be a waste of money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well, you wouldn't be lying, you'd just be forgetful.

Also, they couldn't deny a claim for a frivolous question on the application; come on, what jury is going to go for that?
    well, if you are going that long on a loan, a loaded PU is probably the way to go. Those things just seem to hold value like crazy.

oh, they can deny a claim. Just consider it insurance fraud (lying on the application) and the policy is invalid.

Why try and scam the system.... people like you is what causes the rest of us to have obscene rates.   

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    There are a few answers to that...

- Because my driving record is my driving record, as defined by the legal/court system. If it's good enough for the state, it's good enough for Geico.

- Because the system resembles a scam in itself. The underlying issue for the higher rates is a correlation but not causation; people with accidents have more tickets. People with tickets may or may not have more accidents.

- Because (here in MI) 1/3 of drivers don't have insurance at all. THAT is driving up rates more than anything.

- Because safe driver discounts are on the order of 20 percent (around here), whereas in the German system, the only other example I'm familiar with, the difference between a new driver and one that's accident -free for two decades is a factor of > 5. The difference to a new teen driver is more like a factor of 10. THAT reflects the risks, not the traffic-court voided ticket, which is typically a once-in-your-life deal anyawy.

Whether I would risk lying to my insurance company is a different question.. when an accident occurs, they have the money, and it could get dicey.
    But after years and years of accident-free driving for my whole family, I'd have no moral qualms about it. There are plenty of things that need fixing more than snooping around an voided moving violation.

I feel better now. -mathias
    So... do you want to pay 10 X the price for your teenage driver?

Sounds like the system might be working for you. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited January 2019
    I gotta ask my dad what he pays in car insurance... it's probably $30 to 40/month after all this time.

To answer your question, YEAH I would... because it goes down after 6 months of accident-free driving.. and down... and down. She would have been adjusted downward four times already and be paying 0.8 x the standard rate by now, after starting at 2.3 x the standard rate.

The other factor in the system -- and that is kinda dumb but kinda effective -- is the rate is indexed to horsepower. That has nothing to do with risk but keeps kids in smaller, slower cars, which is not a bad idea.

I'm not saying we should adopt that model..there are other problems with it... I'm saying we should improve OUR model. And we should get uninsured drivers off the road. In reality, the problem is ignored, but if an individual is caught driving without insurance, it can easily send them into a downwards spiral of fines and debt from which they can not extricate themselves. This serves nobody well. A friend's wife works at the Lansing court, she has some horrible stories.

An old friend of mine got stupid and simply forgot to pay his car insurance. He just wasn't taking care of his mail -- this is in the 80s. When his insurance lapsed, the police came and unbolted his license plates. No more driving until he fixed it. Seems like a pretty simple solution, but in 2019, we can't figure this out in the great state of MI, which has rates to rival New Jersey.

This started with a question about "scamming" Geico. I'm saying it's pretty clear car insurance has bigger problems than andres3 fibbing about a voided ticket.
    I'm buying insurance, not consenting to a colonoscopy.
    Someone has to pay for all of those commercials.

At least most of them are funny.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

oh, they can deny a claim. Just consider it insurance fraud (lying on the application) and the policy is invalid.

Insurance companies can do anything they want. If you don't like it, then you have to fight it. And remember, insurance company lobbyists helped to write all the various state insurance laws. It has been my experience that insurance companies are entirely unpredictable, and can maintain the most irrational unfair positions and thumb their noses at you. At other times, they can be unexplainably generous for no reason.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited January 2019
    I've repeated this before, but one of my friends was a state legislator who served on an insurance subcommittee. He once asked some insurance officials for data that showed that 1-2 speeding tickets increased an insurer's loss exposure; he never received it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

steine13 said:

An old friend of mine got stupid and simply forgot to pay his car insurance. He just wasn't taking care of his mail -- this is in the 80s. When his insurance lapsed, the police came and unbolted his license plates. No more driving until he fixed it. Seems like a pretty simple solution, but in 2019, we can't figure this out in the great state of MI, which has rates to rival New Jersey.

They don't do that here in Texas, but you have to prove liability in order to get your plates renewed every year (windshield sticker). I wish they would go out and pull the license plates, that would have saved me a few bucks.

Back about 5 or 6 years ago, I sold a 2008 Passat to an individual for cash. He showed up with hundred dollar bills, I filled out all of the paperwork for him, and sent him on his way. But ... and this was my bad entirely ... I failed to get him to sign a bill of sale / receipt for the vehicle. About 18 months later, I get a registered letter from the toll road authority that I owe them $145. The Passat had gone through the express lane many times with no express tag.

When I started looking into it, he had never transferred the title, which means the license plates were expired, and there was no possibility of insurance. I could have beat this in court by producing witnesses who knew I had sold the car, but it wasn't worth a court appearance for $145. I did have the name and address for the guy, I filled out the PDF form for Texas title transfer on my computer, and still had that document. It just wasn't signed, so the the toll road authority wouldn't accept it.

I needed to find a way to insure that I wouldn't get stuck with more bills or liability. I talked to the highway patrol, who said they would look into the matter. About 2 months later, the idiot who bought the Passat sent me an email. It seems the state of Texas was after him, and he wanted to know if I would sign another title transfer form with the current date so he could avoid paying a fine for not transferring the title within a certain number of days.

Some people have an enormous amount of gall. I ignored the email, but was happy to know that he was going to be fined more than what the toll road violations cost me. I would have been happier if he had been caught driving with expired license plates and no insurance and gone to jail.

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My wife is getting the urge to get a new car. Can you give trade-in for:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited w/Technology Package
    Almost 41K miles
    Light Blue ext / Tan leather int
    Tires are practically new. All servicing done at the dealer. Is ready for rear brakes.
    Western suburbs of Chicago (Aurora/Naperville area)

It was in an accident a year ago. Damaged limited to radiator & forward. A Lyft driver pulled out in from of her when she had right of way (they were ticketed). ANyway, it was fully repaired by Gerber Auto Collision; a visual inspection would not easily show evidence of the accident. I do not know if it shows on Carfax; VIN is KMHDH4AE0CU277252. The zero might be an oh.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    VIN works. Accident on autocheck.

I’d hit it about $5k, but you could get lucky. With such low miles, you should get bids from carvana and vroom.