Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited January 2019
    I resisted comment on the opioids discussion. But one try. I'll stick to jmonroe's 150 word limit.

There are a lot of factors at work in how the _public_ views the opioid problem. The media generates one view because it gets people tuned in just like fires with pictures. The politicians discovered they could blame the drug manufacturers and even sue to get money, as our governor nee attorney general has done. So the politicians and media carefully craft a story for the public to think is correct.

My wife takes opioids for back pain. She has at a low level for years now. Back injections stopped working. The best back surgeon in the area won't touch her back now; 4 years ago he gave it a 50% chance of reducing her pain from the back if he did 4 fusions. The silly over emphasis on prescribing pills to someone who needs them has caused her doctor to have to see her every prescription of 60 pills. A year ago he could see her and then refill it one time within a month by paper prescription so she could go in every 2 months, IIRC. So there are extra doctor visits meaning she has to walk the long corridor and sit and wait. But the politicians are happy because they "fixed" the problem by requiring the doctors to log in every visit to see her score on the morphine scale or something like that.

A few years ago at the beginning of the politicans deciding they knew how to fix the problem, the pills prescribed went from 7.5 to 5.0 units of vicodin. So isntead of taking half a pill at 3.75 , she had to take a whole pill at 5.0 or half at 2.5.

But the politicians were patting themselves on the back.

Never mind that most of the heroin that starts people on the addiction comes across the southern border. To wit the drug wars of the cartels and the army in Mexico over who controls the flow. Never mind that the deaths started increasing from folks doping the dope with fentanyl and carfentanyl which tends to kill easily.

The politicians are happy they keeping the pills out of the hands of many folks who need them.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Going to Tire Plus tomorrow morning for a 4-wheel alignment and 2 front tires.  My left front tire is worn down through the outside  tread but the right front is not as badly worn.  The rear tires have about 5000 miles left on them.  The OEM tires were Pirelli’s but I am replacing the fronts with Goodyear’s.  The only run flats produced for my car are Pirelli or Goodyear.  No other manufacturer makes a tire for my 2018 S450.  I’ll put Goodyear’s in the rear when the Pirelli’s wear out to match the fronts.

They are charging me $634.50 out the door for the tires, balancing, calibration of the TPM and temperature sensors.  $90 for the 4-wheel alignment.  

The manager told told me that run flats that are low profile like mine last only 12,000 to 15,000 miles because they are performance tires.  My car has 10,000 miles on it but the fronts didn’t last very long because the alignment is not at factory specs causing unusual wear on the outside treads.  Oh well, live and learn.

2021 Genesis G90

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    Well, if it was all bad, we would never have gone down the road. However, the correlation is, in this case, causation.

Frankly, I feel that people can put whatever they want in their bodies (as long as they don't come crying about it). It is the prescription via doctor vector that causes me concern, as patients put a high level of trust in the medical profession, and so are less critical in their decision-making process. As a result, they go and fill those prescriptions and ask no further questions.

In my experience (limited, thankfully), most opioid addictions today start with access to prescription pills, and most were NOT the named recipient of those pills. As you say, though, the ODs come from other cocktails; the pills just started them down that road.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Crowns.

I just had a crown put on by a local doctor act up. When he did it 4 years ago, he was very close to the nerve. He was worried I'd need a root canal. But it slowly got better. Just takes time in my case.

However, the doctor didn't shape it properly, so it started acting up. I was actually using a heating pad on my lower jaw. I looked like a toothache cartoon out of an old Saturday Evening Post. The old dentist allows his techs to do some work that he's supposed to do, which may violate Ohio law. My new dentist was out of office and his assistant said to take 4 ibuprofin (800 mg) and 3 acetaminophen tablets. And it did help. Both those are things to take short term only and take with food.

New dentist corrected the shape carefully after X-rays and testing the tooth and the nerve. A couple weeks later he readjusted it more when I was in for a cleaning. And now 4 weeks later tooth has finally quit hurting. The incorrect contact with the teeth above had finally caused the tooth to act up. The original shape was wrong.

My advice is be patient. Take some pain relievers to try to reduce the inflammation in the root.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    People were given no warning about the powerful addictive properties of opioids when they were first marketed to doctors. This was supposed to be a blessing, not a curse.

Reminds me of those old cigarette ads when smoking was presented as a "way to relax".
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @abacomike,
    Your Mercedes dealer has treated you well. Did you get a price from them?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

My advice is be patient. Take some pain relievers to try to reduce the inflammation in the root.

Great advice!

Now that I think about it, my crown did have fitment issues as well (my teeth are quite angular, while the crown is decidedly rounded, so getting even pressure on the prosthetic took a lot of trial and error). Even now, years later, it still flares up with pain on occasion if I happen to bite on something wrong. Mostly, I've trained myself to direct heavy chewing to the other side of my jaw (not all good, either!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When I got re-fill recently :p , the new filling had that "tin foil shock" for a couple weeks--but it went away finally, once the filling oxidized enough.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I know not apples to apples. The GoodYear Assurance that came on my Accord lasted over 60k and I replaced them knowing I would need to in the next 10k or so took advantage of a Labor Day sale and a GoodYear rebate. I replaced them with Good Year ComfortTreds and they have 8/32 after 25k. Hard to believe your tires only last 10-15k. I thought run flats lasted to around 30k. Hoping you do better with the GoodYears. Good to hear from you, you’ve been quiet lately.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Mike only need the next set of tires to last through the end of the lease period.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    @abacomike, Your Mercedes dealer has treated you well. Did you get a price from them?
    No!  He was transferred to Naples on January 2nd - so I lost my “in” at Mercedes.  I asked the new manager yesterday and was told $875 for tires and $180 for alignment.  The quote was for Pirelli’s which I am trying to avoid.  Goodyear was the only other option, unfortunately.

2021 Genesis G90

sda said:
    I know not apples to apples. The GoodYear Assurance that came on my Accord lasted over 60k and I replaced them knowing I would need to in the next 10k or so took advantage of a Labor Day sale and a GoodYear rebate. I replaced them with Good Year ComfortTreds and they have 8/32 after 25k. Hard to believe your tires only last 10-15k. I thought run flats lasted to around 30k. Hoping you do better with the GoodYears. Good to hear from you, you’ve been quiet lately.
    But these are run flats and do not come with any assurance program.  They are summer performance tires as well and low profile.

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2019
    Mike only need the next set of tires to last through the end of the lease period.
    Yes.  I will need to replace the rears in a few months and the fronts will need another set as well in 12-15 months.

2021 Genesis G90

I can’t remember the last time I bought tires for a car I owned or leased.

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    One can't run fast enough from that thing. Thanks for thinking of me though B)

I don't know about getting one, but I might test drive one just to be sure, so I stop thinking about it.

@fintail,
    You mentioned looking at getting a G class.
    Here's your opportunity to get a Brabus really cheap. :)
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ludlow-mercedes-brabus-g63-g55-grand/6792725690.html

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I'd say maybe 120K new, in the dollars of that time. They have a very high depreciation floor. Today, I don't think I would even want to park next to it. I get a sense of bad mojo from that thing.

Wow, $40k for 14 years old and flooded. What did it cost new?

Left the sunroof open? Probably in a hurricane and the gators chewed up the seats.

fintail said:

One can't run fast enough from that thing. Thanks for thinking of me though B)

I don't know about getting one, but I might test drive one just to be sure, so I stop thinking about it.

@fintail,
    You mentioned looking at getting a G class.
    Here's your opportunity to get a Brabus really cheap. :)
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ludlow-mercedes-brabus-g63-g55-grand/6792725690.html

Hahahha; that's the funniest Craigslist ad I've seen in a while. Total silliness!
    sda said:

Yeah, the Assurance tires have a long life; overall, a very good buy. But, these are typically in the touring / performance classes of all-season; definitely not something available for Mike's fancy ride.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

People were given no warning about the powerful addictive properties of opioids when they were first marketed to doctors. This was supposed to be a blessing, not a curse.

Reminds me of those old cigarette ads when smoking was presented as a "way to relax".

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    andres3 said:

Need the Wisdom of this Forum to come through on these new topics:

1) Did you hear/read about the story of the grieving parents suing Tesla for quote "making an unreasonably unsafe car" that their son crashed at 116 MPH and then it burned up in flames (fatalities). Tesla's defense is that gasoline cars still have a higher rate of fire than their batteries do, and that no car would allow you to survive a crash at 116 MPH (similar crash). Apparently the tech removed the speed governor the parents set at something under 116 MPH. Seems like a frivolous case to me.

2) I took the worst medical/dental advice of my life just before the Holidays. I let a Dentist sell me on getting rid of a 20 year old filling and getting a new crown ($200 off today only; it's the last day! ACT TODAY) salesmanship was used, along with fear mongering (if you wait to treat it the decay will get under your filling "gaps" and cause you to need a root canal. Well, I went ahead with the recommendation to fix what wasn't broke (at least according to me; no pain, no issues with the filling). It has been A BIG pain ever since, and pains in my mouth go straight to my brain and cause headaches. Ibuprofen is like magic on this type of tooth/crown pain, but I've been having to take it for a long time, which isn't good for you. Once I decided I was going to waste 3 hours in the dental office to save $200 on a fine Friday afternoon, they added at the very end "by the way, 10% of these fail." I was shocked at the extraordinarily high 10% failure rate for something that costs 4 figures (insurance only covered 33%, so still 4 figures). However, they told me so late in the game my mind was already made up, and I was committed to getting it over with. One of the biggest regrets of my life. Since then, I've had the bite adjusted 3 times. Wishful thinking. It is still hurting (though not quite as bad), and sensitive painful to cold and hot, and pressure (when eating). One x-ray picture might show the crown isn't properly cemented adhered, but that information didn't come from my dental Office. All I know is in 2 weeks I have an appt. with the other dentist in the office to talk about the solution, a root canal. Seems like I've gone down a rabbit hole. I feel like I was given medical/dental malpractice bad advice, and should become rich from this in a lawsuit. However, this is a big office that makes you sign 5 things electronically every time you visit; probably an uphill battle.

As for Tesla, yes it is a frivolous lawsuit but juries have awarded high rewards for very frivolous claims.

I would say shop for another dentist.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited January 2019
    xwesx said:
    Yeah, the Assurance tires have a long life; overall, a very good buy. But, these are typically in the touring / performance classes of all-season; definitely not something available for Mike's fancy ride.
    Thanks for the kind words, xwesx and sda.  I was binging on 7 seasons of “Game of Thrones” over the past week or so.  Had no interest into the series until last week when TV was awful. Got hooked and couldn’t stop watching it.  Amazing is all I can say about the HBO series - amazing!

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

xwesx said:

However, the one I find most annoying in this situation is when there are two left turn lanes, and the driver next to me fails to maintain his lane: Eg., I'm on the right, turning to rightmost lane (on the left), and the drive to my left also pulls into the rightmost lane, or I'm on the left and the driver to my right pulls into the leftmost lane. I think, "Seriously, people!!!! It is NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!" Hahahha

My pet peeve is this intersection a few blocks from my house. As you see it has a rightmost bus-only lane (that nevertheless often finds vehicles in it, usually large pickups for some reason) two straight-on travel lanes, and a dedicated left turn lane:

The two straight-ahead lanes are the problem, specifically the leftmost of the two. I cannot tell you how often I see a vehicle in that lane drift right when crossing the intersection trying to get into the right-hand travel lane. No reason to, and in fact I have seen vehicles do that and then change lanes back to the left further up the hill since that is where most traffic needs to go. It seems to happen close to 50% of the time when I am there. I think it is because of the small angle that the road on the other side takes. Naturally it causes lots of problems since this is a busy spot. Then you have the pickups, etc improperly using the bus lane trying to jam their way into the right travel lane because the bus lane ends in a ramp to a bus terminal, along with an occasional moron who decides they don't want to be in the left-turn lane after all and tries to force their way in from the other side. It simply baffles me how bad some of our drivers here are. Of course there is zero enforcement of anything at this spot.
    I make a right at this intersection daily. If you look past the intersection you will see that immediately after the intersection there is an on ramp for the highway. I can't tell you how many times I have sat there stuck behind some idiot who mistook the right turn lane for the approach for the on ramp while we burned a right turn arrow.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.google.earth&ibi=com.google.b612&isi=293622097&ius=googleearth&link=https://earth.google.com/web/@41.8075973,-88.07602067,208.43698632a,0d,66.05611235y,24.59630822h,80.8806386t,0r/data=IhoKFlljLV9zWlpobjk2ZDNpQTNFQlctRXcQAg

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Wow that’s a lot of money for tires, and you’ll have to do it every year or so? I’m not feeling so bad now about replacing one measly tire on my humble Buick after nearly 4 years of ownership!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

When did dealership become tax experts?

Just saw an ad from J D Byrighter (don’t know if that’s a national chain) which stated: “bring in your pay stub and we’ll estimate your refund”

How accurate would you expect a car salesman to be?

Most likely they will have a tax professional there doing that. I have been in promotions like that where taxes are done and the refund can be used as a downpayment, usually they are a bust.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    I would be really annoyed if I had to replace tires on a lease. Doesn't bother me to do it on a car I am keeping long term, since it is nice to have new tires. But putting them on a car just to give it back would hurt me deep in my cold, puritan heart. And I guarantee they would be some Chinese brand you never heard of!

so far, 2 leases back, both on original sneakers. Hoping to make that 3 for 3 with the TLX.

got 5 years out of the RDX, and I think there was enough tread left that they might have gotten through a turn in inspection.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:
    I would be really annoyed if I had to replace tires on a lease. Doesn't bother me to do it on a car I am keeping long term, since it is nice to have new tires. But putting them on a car just to give it back would hurt me deep in my cold, puritan heart. And I guarantee they would be some Chinese brand you never heard of! so far, 2 leases back, both on original sneakers. Hoping to make that 3 for 3 with the TLX. got 5 years out of the RDX, and I think there was enough tread left that they might have gotten through a turn in inspection.
    What frustrates me is that I am not hard on my tires - no leaving rubber at lights and no fast turns or cornering.  Can you imagine what my tires would look like if I was?

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

Well, that’s not quite true. Opium has long been known as addictive. Back from in the old days junkies were out there in the dark corners of society but largely scorned. Doctors used to be pretty stingy in prescribing the stuff. Now I heard some doctors claiming that drug reps told them newer preparations like OxyContin were not so addictive, but it strikes me odd that doctors would take that at face value. No doubt there is lots of blame to go around.

BTW, to a smoker, cigarettes actually are relaxing. Deadly if one does it long enough, but relaxing.

There is an interesting and sad article currently on the Sports Illustrated site about Todd Marinovich, the former #1 draft choice of the Oakland Raiders, who has been a drug addict for most of his life because he was unable to cope with the pressure he felt. Now the only pressure he feels is his addiction and he can’t stay clean. It’s worth a read. There isn’t much anyone can do for people like him unfortunately.

Taking anything that causes the brain to react with pleasure and relief can cause addiction of some sort. Coffee, nicotine, alcohol, weed, and further up the scale. Obviously there are degrees of it and different consequences. What is different now is where the scale of acceptable risk tips. Used to be that weed and pills were on the bad side of that. Now that point of acceptance has moved way higher.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited January 2019
    abacomike said:

What frustrates me is that I am not hard on my tires - no leaving rubber at lights and no fast turns or cornering.  Can you imagine what my tires would look like if I was?

It is just the nature of ultra-high-performance tires! They sacrifice tread life for grip. My Q7 tires are the same way. I think they may have something like 15,000 miles on them, and I am probably pushing it by forcing another summer out of them (but I'm going to do it anyway!). I may end up needing to replace mid-season, but I sure hope not. When I replace, I will shop the highest tread-life tire I can find in that tire size. For a 5,500# SUV, they're rubber-band tires: Something like 275/45R20. Waaay too expensive to replace every two or three seasons (years, but I break my years into winter/summer as far as tires go, and about 50/50 in terms of months)!

If I was on lease, I would definitely have to replace once, and possibly twice, during a 36,000-mile period. Yikes! In contrast, the winter tires I put on it, which are on their third winter now, have barely worn. Typically, winter tires wear MUCH faster than All-Season tread.

So, maybe you SHOULD push the car harder! Your tires would probably have about the same lifespan, but you'd have a lot more fun in the meantime. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Since my wife now has the X1 I'm driving the Clubman to work most every day. Before I started my new gig I installed a set of plugs and ran a bottle of Techron through it. It's a 24 mile round trip with seven traffic lights along the route. I rarely encounter any congestion; most of the time I'm driving between 45 and 60. I'm pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy; I average between 38 and 42 mpg. Yesterday I had a short interstate joint and it cruised happily a bit north of 80 mph. It's a nice little commuter, and it has about the hottest heated seats I've ever experienced in a car. It runs 15" wheels and has the base suspension, so the ride is fairly complaint. There are no squeaks or rattles, which for an older Mini is practically unheard of. Hopefully I can get at least 5-6 more years out of it without significant repairs; we shall see.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

ab348 said:

Taking anything that causes the brain to react with pleasure and relief can cause addiction of some sort. Coffee, nicotine, alcohol, weed, and further up the scale. Obviously there are degrees of it and different consequences. What is different now is where the scale of acceptable risk tips. Used to be that weed and pills were on the bad side of that. Now that point of acceptance has moved way higher.

So true. And, that's why I say that I don't feel pity for people who make the choices that lead them down that path. Now, I'm not speaking of situations like your wife's pain management regimen here, but life is a series of obstacles that one must overcome. They never end, and they often seem insurmountable. If a person tries to "escape" them through artificial means, they simply alter their own path to face a new set of obstacles.

It may seem depressing, but it is the cold, hard truth, and it is how we deal with that reality that separates success from failure.

Going back to prescriptions for a moment, I cannot recall a time when, upon asking, a doctor EVER said that a pain prescription had addictive potential. And, they fancy up the name of them with things like "oxycontin" that might make people thing it is not an opioid (if you didn't know better already). Doctors have and probably do get kickbacks for prescribing certain drugs, so, if they are going to prescribe some sort of pain med anyway, why wouldn't they just go whole hog?
    stickguy said:

I would be really annoyed if I had to replace tires on a lease. Doesn't bother me to do it on a car I am keeping long term, since it is nice to have new tires. But putting them on a car just to give it back would hurt me deep in my cold, puritan heart. And I guarantee they would be some Chinese brand you never heard of!

When I worked at BMW, if you turned in a car with new tires that weren't equivalent to the OEM tires you got dinged foe around $300 per corner. That said, a repeat customer and/or a very clean lease return with worn would often get the cost waived.
    What I loved were the idjits who took their BMW to some sketchy tire store and believed Bubba when he told them, "BMW don't care what kinda tires you put on it."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

as long as they are the right specs, they can't say anything about it. Plus I have seen used ones at the dealer with no-name brand tires on them (brand new) so they are obviously fine using them!

I still couldn't bring myself to put on crap ones even if I could get away with it. But the cheapest "real" tires would get the nod. I was curious so checked tirerack. OEM Michelin were about $260 a pop. But they had a nice Sumitomo high performance AS (that actually had very good reviews) for $130. I might buy those even if I was keeping it. for going back, no question.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,064

Since my wife now has the X1 I'm driving the Clubman to work most every day. Before I started my new gig I installed a set of plugs and ran a bottle of Techron through it. It's a 24 mile round trip with seven traffic lights along the route. I rarely encounter any congestion; most of the time I'm driving between 45 and 60. I'm pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy; I average between 38 and 42 mpg. Yesterday I had a short interstate joint and it cruised happily a bit north of 80 mph. It's a nice little commuter, and it has about the hottest heated seats I've ever experienced in a car. It runs 15" wheels and has the base suspension, so the ride is fairly complaint. There are no squeaks or rattles, which for an older Mini is practically unheard of. Hopefully I can get at least 5-6 more years out of it without significant repairs; we shall see.

My wife has the same complaints about the heated seats in the daughters Countryman.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I take meds to deal with my chronic pain. I know without them, I couldn't keep my part time gig or function normally during the day. Guess once I retire, sometime in 2019 or early 2020, we'll need to sit down and figure out what comes next. I just know they really do help me since I'm not surgically fixable, so I've been old. And some days are worse than others!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

stickguy said:

as long as they are the right specs, they can't say anything about it. Plus I have seen used ones at the dealer with no-name brand tires on them (brand new) so they are obviously fine using them!

I still couldn't bring myself to put on crap ones even if I could get away with it. But the cheapest "real" tires would get the nod. I was curious so checked tirerack. OEM Michelin were about $260 a pop. But they had a nice Sumitomo high performance AS (that actually had very good reviews) for $130. I might buy those even if I was keeping it. for going back, no question.

What I looked for were run flats in the OEM size on a car originally equipped with them. I also wanted the OEM speed rating. The tire brand wasn't an issue, although the Chinese Ditchfinders some dimwits installed were invariably not RFTs

yup. that was my logic. If it had 98V new, it would be the same going back. Thankfully no run flats to worry about.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Mike, which Tires Plus store do you use? I go to the one out west on Wiles Rd. since it's not that far from our development and one of the managers is from my hometown in New York a few grades ahead of me. I go to him and he takes great care of all our tire needs. Even my wife likes dealing with him because she trusts him like I do. I've followed him from the Margate store to the west Boca Raton store and finally to his current location. He usually gives me his "friends and family" discounts which helps.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,545
    abacomike said:

I can’t remember the last time I bought tires for a car I owned or leased.

Welcome to our world.

FWIW, I have never been able to get good mileage from any tire brand I've ever used. I think the best mileage I ever got was just a few ticks under 40K from Bridgestones on my '95 Bonneville and that was eons ago. I have Bridgestones on Mrs. j's '12 Legacy and I've had them on my '09 Genny and haven't been able to crack 30K on several replacement sets for either of those cars. @sda said he got 60K from his Goodyears. I'd kill my favorite goldfish for mileage like that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited January 2019
    A little colder tonight than on Monday! Notice that the info screen says my back door is open.... sheesh (it wasn't).

My tires were seriously flat spotting when I first started out. I felt like I was galloping a horse!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    29,000 + miles in the TTS and 24,000 + miles in the Alltrack; no problems to report.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

At the very least, you should have the bone graft done. The loss of a tooth will start a process of the bone in your jaw disintegrating, which just leads to more problems down the road. You're too young for missing teeth! :)

Really? Why would it disintegrate? They made no mention of that.
    Why do they pull wisdom teeth?
    I simply would not buy a car if the only choice for tires were very low profile performance tires or run flats.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    houdini2 said:
    At the very least, you should have the bone graft done. The loss of a tooth will start a process of the bone in your jaw disintegrating, which just leads to more problems down the road. You're too young for missing teeth! :)
    So we can’t be wise?

But they don’t do bone grafts when they pull them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

houdini2 said:

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

So we can’t be wise?

But they don’t do bone grafts when they pull them.

I wouldn't be concerned about pulling wisdom teeth or any rear molar, nor would I think that a bone graft would be necessary. I think dentists are pushing some procedures like car salesmen push mop & glow stuff. Sign of the times.
    I assume the bone graft would be an issue if you are doing an implant, since they need bone to screw the anchor into. Just pulling a tooth and leaving a gap, it should not matter.

• Yep, that's sweater weather. Do you have to inflate your tires a bit higher to help with the flat spotting in the extreme cold? I think -35 is as cold as I've experienced and I had to keep the engine running most of the day because I was in remote oil fields and couldn't risk the thing not starting.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Michaell said:

My wife has the same complaints about the heated seats in the daughters Countryman.
    You haven't suffered Until you get into an unfamiliar rental in the dark and can’t find the button to turn them off.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Mike, which Tires Plus store do you use? I go to the one out west on Wiles Rd. since it's not that far from our development and one of the managers is from my hometown in New York a few grades ahead of me. I go to him and he takes great care of all our tire needs. Even my wife likes dealing with him because she trusts him like I do. I've followed him from the Margate store to the west Boca Raton store and finally to his current location. He usually gives me his "friends and family" discounts which helps.
    The one near Coral Springs Mall.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    houdini2 said:

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

Because the human jaw evolved faster than human teeth.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Because the human jaw evolved faster than human teeth.
    Wish my other body parts had evolved faster and were long lasting!!!  :DB):'(

2021 Genesis G90