Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

will studded tires cause a transmission fault on an X5 3.0i

kenrokenro Member Posts: 3
edited January 2019 in BMW
recently got a trans failsafe prog message and trans acts funny when driving clunks when downshifting after brakes are applied

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Excellent question. Let me do some research on this for you. Stay tuned.
    edited January 2019
    So far the general consensus seems to be that on an AWD system, studded snows should only be used on all 4 wheels, the idea being that studded tires grip differently on dry pavement than regular tires. This slippage differential may activate the TC and/or confuse the ECM.

Whether all this relates to your symptoms is hard to say. I suppose one way to find out is to remove the studded snows and see how the car behaves after that.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,207
    I would guess that the lack of traction is causing your wheels to attempt to lock-up, and that is activating your ABS and your traction control.

Don't know what sort of road you drive on, but studded tires might be overkill.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I would think on anything but the most unusual road conditions, that regular snow tires on all 4 wheels would be more than adequate for 99% of all driving situations in snow.
  • kenrokenro Member Posts: 3
    thanks all studded on all 4 tires may be overkill. we are on dry roads
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,207
    kenro said:

Sounds like a bad combination. But, you certainly can't run two studded tires, that would make the problems worse.

Better to switch to a more "normal" winter tire.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kenro said:

I meant by "regular" snow tires, non-studded ones. My point, not well-worded obviously, was that chances are you never need studded snow tires of any kind on an AWD vehicle.